The Door In The Wall
read book* *Different edition

The Door In The Wall

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  552 ratings  ·  36 reviews
'And so, in a trice, he came into the garden that has haunted all his life.'

H.G. Wells was a pioneer of science fiction, its first and greatest influence. Here his boundless invention creates three very stories: a poignant parable of a mysterious door, a thrilling account of be-tentacled sea creatures and the darkly comic chronicle of an academic rivalry taken too far . ....more
Paperback, Penguin Mini Modern Classics, 66 pages
Published 2011 by Penguin Books (first published 1911)

To ask other readers questions about The Door In The Wall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Door In The Wall

Anna
— Ты когда-нибудь играл со мной в «северо-западный проход»?.. Нет, в то время мы не были в дружбе с тобой.
Это была такая игра, продолжал он, в которую каждый ребенок, наделенный живым воображением, готов играть целые дни напролет. Требовалось отыскать «северо-западный проход» в школу. Дорога туда была простая и хорошо знакомая, но игра состояла в том, чтобы найти какой-нибудь окольный путь. Нужно было выйти из дому на десять минут раньше, завернуть куда-нибудь в сторону и пробраться через незна
Brian Harmon
I just read this collection of short stories by HG Wells. His imagination and ability to evoke images in the mind, never cease to amaze me. The stories have many different tones, some rather dark, but all very engrossing. it's a quick read, but does not lack in depth. I heartily recommend!!
Sara
A young boys goes through a door in the wall, and discovered paradise. Thoughout his life, the memory of this garden has haunted him and he strives to find it one last time. I liked this because it was a bit dark.
Perry Whitford
A man of worldly affairs recently deceased, a Cabinet Minister, had told his friend a most extraordinary tale just before his death. All his life he had seen glimpses of, and once, as a young child, entered into, a strange green door.

The door opened into a lush garden, 'into peace, into delight, into a beauty beyond dreaming, a kindness no man on earth can know', inhabited by playful children, friendly animals and a lady with a magical picture book.

Pretty straight forward short story from Wells...more
Amalie
H.G. Wells is known as the father of Modern Science Fiction and is best known for his science fiction fantasies like The Time Machine, The War of the Worlds, The Invisible Man.. it's only recently I realised that some of his short fiction, although less known, are equally great.

The Door in the Wall will probably be considered as one of his fantastic tales, I personally feel there's more to it.

The story is a vague recollection by a man in his forties, a successful British politician, of an exper...more
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: I enjoy the author.

This is a small book, about the size of a man's hand and contains three short stories. 2011 is the fiftieth anniversary of the Penguin Modern Classics list and in honour of this event they have published 50 of these "Mini Modern" books to celebrate the great short story writers. The books are all uniform.

I like H.G. Wells; I've read all his fiction, some of the novels more than once. I especially like his science fiction, the classics "The Time Machine" and...more
Ian Russell
Fans of H.G. Wells' famous works, The Time Machine; The War of the Worlds; The Invisible Man; and The First Men in the Moon should read this collection of shorts, if they haven't already.

Readers who haven't yet experienced the imagination and thoughtfulness of Wells' work could do much worse than beginning here. These eight tales are more Twilight Zone than science fiction, and darker in tone than the more popular novels.

The Door in the Wall, a boy walking to school is drawn to discover what lie...more
Heidi
Very imaginative collection of short stories by H. G. Wells. My favourites were the first three: The Door in the Wall, The Star, and A Dream of Armageddon.

In The Door in the Wall, a man relates to his friend how as a lonely boy, he opened a mysterious door in a wall and found himself in a beautiful garden. The garden had tame panthers, all kinds of flowers, and playmates with wonderful games. Sadly, he was sent back to his own world before he was ready to go, and the mysterious wall with the doo...more
CV Rick
A collection of stories by one of the founders and masters of the genre. It's these 8 stories that give a creative and whimsical glimpse into what Science Fiction was like half a century ago.

The title story is my favorite - The Door in the Wall. It's a metaphor for missed choices and how following your dreams should be a mission, not a wish. I thought about this lesson for a long time after reading. It made me more vigilant about looking for those doors I normally pass.
Gardy
Una miniraccolta che dimostra come Wells rimanga uno dei numi tutelari del genere fantascientifico, pur essendo la sua scrittura molto più potente e di difficile "ingabbiatura" in un singolo genere.
Se "Tea Sea Riders" (la storia di un orrendo bestione marino apparso sulle coste francesi) passa praticamente sotto silenzio, è con "The Moth" e ancor di più con "The Door in the Wall" che l'autore dimostra la sua incredibile vena fantastica e la sua capacità di tesservi all'interno una vivida immagi...more
Jamie
This one has been in my to-read list for some time. The synopsis sounded interesting and I love a good deal of Wells' work. It is a short read and, I think, an interesting commentary on the choices someone makes throughout their lives to pursue the road they believe they must travel over the, perhaps, more enjoyable, less material parallel that springs unbidden to our minds at times of a crossroads, where one leads us further down that expected line and the other a new and different direction. T...more
Daniel Draney
i got bored and didn't finish. sad considering it's a very short story.
Austin Aslan
I adored this story, and wrote a lengthy review of it here. But Goodreads lost the text when I tried to submit. I don't have the heart to rewrite the whole thing. But I highly recommend this story. The voice and tone are both a bit dated, but otherwise this strikes me as an allegory about death that easily stands the test of time and transcends any particular "religious" view about that 'borne' from which no traveller returns... For the era in which it was written, this religiously-neutral (most...more
Timofey Reutov
I have never read such a mysterious book...
Nagisa
A collection of short stories that captivate the reader with Wells' rich imagination and masterly storytelling. He illustrates stories in different settings and various narrative techniques, yet all in increasing suspense.
My favorite is ”The Lord of the Dynamos,” which explores the dark side of religion.
Ryan
Unfortunately not a very good representation of Wells at his best. With three separate stories in 80 pages, this volume is heavy on the kind of comically dry exposition that typifies Wells' openings, and the more intriguing sections of these stories are fairly disorganized. I would recommend other collections of Wells' for the interested reader.
Deb
I had been wanting to read The Door in the Wall, and I found it on the Internet here. I was completely engaged from start to finish, however the end was a little too unceremonious for me. I was expecting more details, I suppose. Great little story, and beautifully detailed.
Nuno Vargas
I think these are the first stories I read from H.G. Wells. Or at least, if not, I've certainly forgotten any others. I'm not sure if this book was the best (re?)introduction to the author. I found these three short stories not very appealing, except maybe "The Moth" which held more of my attention.
Greg Schell
An excellent collection of short stories that I can imagine I will read again in the future. I particularly enjoyed the bookend stories of this collection... The Door In The Wall and The Country Of The Blind.
Ivan
Brilliant story of a young boy who wanders through a door into paradise only to be cast out again, and spends the rest of his life looking for the door in the wall. Does he find it?
Jasperzelf
One of my favourite short stories ever. Original, tightly plotted, deep without beging obscure. But don;t believe me: read it fee on http://www.online-literature.com/well...
Marts  (Thinker)
A rather strange tale... Since childhood, a man is plagued by rare visions of a long white wall and in its midst a green door. Beyond lies a paradise...
Diana
I'm kind of surprised that I didn't like this more since I usually really like stories about taking the moment that you have and all that stuff.
JoAnn
I really enjoyed this one. There are multiple levels of symbolism and meaning, if one chooses to look. A must read again.
Peter C
3 excellent short stories - The Door In The Wall, Sea Raiders, The Moth. It took me ages, it had seventy pages.
Nelvi
This short story has a concept that I believed was unique to the Harry Potter series: moving/living pictures.
Ivy
Very imaginative book that is different to anything else you might come across. It's a quick and easy read.
Matt
This short story blew me away in high school.

It's still pretty cool.
A curious and tragic little story. Perfect for an afternoon break.
  • The Lady in the Looking Glass
  • Bliss & Other Stories
  • The Colour Out of Space
  • Youth
  • Terra Incognita
  • The Adulterous Woman
  • The Delicate Prey and Other Stories
  • The Tooth (Penguin Mini Modern Classics)
  • Odour of Chrysanthemums
  • Babette's Feast
  • Killer in the Rain
  • Lord Emsworth and Others (Blandings Castle, #5.5)
  • The Machine Stops
  • The Bet
  • The Living Daylights
  • Him With His Foot in His Mouth and Other Stories
  • The Four Million
  • Hell Screen
In 1866, (Herbert George) H.G. Wells was born to a working class family in Kent, England. Young Wells received a spotty education, interrupted by several illnesses and family difficulties, and became a draper's apprentice as a teenager. The headmaster of Midhurst Grammar School, where he had spent a year, arranged for him to return as an "usher," or student teacher. Wells earned a government schol...more
More about H.G. Wells...
The Time Machine The War of the Worlds The Invisible Man The Island of Dr. Moreau The Time Machine/The Invisible Man

“When afterwards I tried to tell my aunt, she punished me again for my wicked persistence. Then, as I said, everyone was forbidden to listen to me, to hear a word about it. Even my fairy-tale books were taken away from me for a time - because I was too 'imaginative'. Eh! Yes, they did that! My father belonged to the old school.... And my story was driven back upon myself. I whispered it to my pillow - my pillow that was often damp and salt to my whispering lips with childish tears. And I added always to my official and less fervent prayers this one heartfelt request: 'Please God I may dream of the garden. O! take me back to my garden.” 9 likes
“A Cabinet Minister, the responsible head of thar most vital of all departments, wandering alone - grieving - sometimes near audibly lamenting - for a door, for a garden!” 2 likes