Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears' New Baby” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears' New Baby

The Berenstain Bears' New Baby (The Berenstain Bears)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,194 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
Illus. in full color. "This brightly illustrated story tells of a youngster's happy acceptance of a new addition to the family and how Mama and Papa Bear assist him with the adjustment."--Booklist.

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published February 2nd 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears' New Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears' New Baby

Jenny Houle
Dec 16, 2014 Jenny Houle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So funny, to see what was "allowed" and "not allowed" over time. For example, this book was clearly published earlier, so there is a one page explanation that Mama Bear's belly was growing. Years later, when THE BIRDS AND THE BEES came out, Sister Bear goes to the OB with Mama to see the baby bear in her belly.
Connie
Aug 31, 2008 Connie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Small Bear (soon to be renamed as Brother Bear) wakes up one day and finds out his bed is too small for him!

So he and his dad go out to make a new bed. And when he gets home, his old bed is given to his new baby sister.

There was no discussion with Small Bear beforehand that he was going to have a new baby sister. There's no discussion in the book about how a baby might affect your life, either for good or bad.

This is not how most people raise children today, I think, nor is it the best way to r
Anne White
One of the few "coping with a new sibling" books that was on our okay-list when our younger children were born. No trauma, no biting the baby, just Papa Bear and Small Bear, a.k.a Brother, going out together to build a bigger bed--because when he gets home, New Baby Sister will be in the little bed.
Shacoria
Jun 25, 2011 Shacoria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Small Children
This is the 13th Berenstain Bears book that I have read. This book is very weird. The father missed the birth of his daughter because he was out chopping wood with his son. The mother gave birth to a baby and it didn't even seem to affect her at all. The baby is big enough to sleep in a regular bed just hours after it is born. Weird. I mean, I know they're bears and not humans, but still. Also, brother bear is supposed to be 2 years older than sister bear so since she is born in this story that ...more
Benjamin Sos
Oct 04, 2012 Benjamin Sos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those of you adding a second child, this book is a really good book to help child one grasp the concept. We read this book every few days once we were 9 months along with our second, and our 2 year old made a lot of connections from the book when her sister was born. Wish they would have handled the actual birth somehow as Mama is back in the same outfit and assuming she carried Brother's bed into the nursery while Papa was absent during the birthing process. Oh well. Still a good read for t ...more
Allison
Jul 18, 2014 Allison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is so bizarre. It starts pre-Sister Bear, there is only Small Bear aka Brother Bear and one morning all of a sudden he outgrows his baby bed. So he and Papa Bear go out into the woods to build a new bigger bed, and Mama Bear waves from the door of the treehouse and says to herself "Just in time, yes, just in time" and pats her belly (which just looks as big as a normal bear belly). When Papa and Brother Bear come home with the new bed, Brother Bear is all "Where's my baby bed?" and Mam ...more
Kori Looker
I'm not too big on picture books but this one was okay. The book teaches a lesson using the little bear cubs and the parent bears. The cubs do as they please and then Papa and Mama Bear teach them a lesson. The lesson they learn is something kids should read so that they'll learn also and understand if they ever come to being taught a lesson. I would recommend this to a first grader or someone who is near that age group because the book was written for kids learning to read.
Tishandra Mayfield
Apr 01, 2014 Tishandra Mayfield rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: authors
Stan and Jan Berenstain were already successful cartoonists for magazines and adult humor books when they began writing children's books. The first story starring the bear family, The Big Honey Hunt, appeared in 1962. Since then, more than 370 Berenstain Bears books have been published, and more than 300 million copies have been sold. What began as an idea sparked by their young sons' love of reading has become over the years arguably the best-selling children's book series ever.

The Berenstain B
Millenia
Jun 28, 2014 Millenia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one.
Listen up, parents: kids will emulate that which they admire. If they like Star Wars, they will want plastic lightsabers and Star Wars-themed birthday parties so they can be a Jedi. This applies to the younger age group as well: if you read them an interesting story (with good characters) instead of this preachy garbage, they will be more likely to behave nicely.

BERENSTEIN BEARS is boring. It's a run-of-the-mill story about some bears who get a baby. It was so boring I would wiggle in my seat as
Joshua's Mom
Apr 10, 2012 Joshua's Mom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are trying to find a book to help with the addition of a new baby in your home, this isn't one I would suggest. But it is a fun story to read otherwise (as long as you don't over analyze it) and my son really enjoys it.
Aug 10, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of all the things I've said or done to get my 3 year old ready for a baby brother, this book has done the most to help him understand things. I love when books do more than just tell a story.
Meghan
Brennan wants to read this over and over; I'm hoping that's a positive sign that he's going to be excited about welcoming his baby sister in a few weeks.
Amber
I read this and other Berenstain books repeatedly as a child. I enjoyed them then. I'm not putting stars on these partly b/c I feel I'd need to look at them again to see what I'd rate them now, and I don't have them available (which in itself tells you they aren't big favorites I guess). In adulthood, I still like some things about these books, other things not so much. One of the bigger things I don't care for is that they often seem to make Papa Bear out to be rather foolish, while Mama is usu ...more
Lesley
May 10, 2016 Lesley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's true what all the poor reviews say (Small Bear doesn't really know Mama Bear is pregnant, and both he and Papa Bear are gone when the baby is born), but it's a cute and funny book and what you'd expect from The Berenstain Bears. In fact, I liked that it was ABOUT Small Bear and NOT the baby. It becomes the older sibling's story rather than being focused on the new baby. Anyway, even though it's unrealistic, it's a cute little story that my 5 year-old soon-to-be big bro and I enjoyed reading ...more
Jill
Jul 22, 2015 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For my History of Children's Literature class:

In terms of family dynamics and diversity, this story feels very traditional—surprising for a story written in the 1970s. Perhaps this book is a reaction to other books at the time, which were dispensing with the traditional family. The characters are a Papa Bear, Mama Bear, and Small (male) Bear, and a new baby (female) bear is born near the end of the story. Throughout the story, Small Bear appears to be somewhat naive, and his parents largely keep
Monica
We've had multiple readings of a variety of Berenstain Bears books. The latest read of The Berenstain Bears' NEW BABY (1995) was read immediately following The Berenstain Bears' MOVING DAY (1981). Here's the contradiction that had my little boy hollering out loud, "No, he didn't!!!"

In Moving Day Brother Bear is referred to as "Brother Bear" but is an only child. He lives with his family in a hillside cave halfway up Great Bear Mountain at the far edge of Bear Country. They relocate into "a fine
Tracy Poff
The Berenstain Bears’ New Baby tells how Small Bear got a new, larger bed–-very useful, since Sister Bear was soon to be born, and could use his old bed.

This is a standard kind of children’s book–-what happens when a child gains a younger sibling? I like this one a bit better than Thumper’s Little Sisters , which I reviewed earlier.

The story begins with Small Bear waking up and finding he is too big for his bed, so he and Papa Bear go out to make him a new bed, and Mama Bear pats her belly and
Emma Wilde
Dec 11, 2014 Emma Wilde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eng261
This was another installment in the Berenstain Bears collection that I loved dearly as a child. Much like the others, it involves real life situations that children are going through. In this one the child is growing up. He is getting too big for his little boy bed, and there is something else happening... he is going to be a big brother! This is another great book that I would definitely recommend for a young child. Especially one who may be going through a similar situation.
Mary Lauren
The Berenstain family grows by one! Small Bear outgrew his old bed, so he and Papa Bear went to build a new bed. During this process, Papa Bear explained that Small Bear would be getting a little Sister soon! By the time Small Bear and Papa Bear made it home, Small Bear's bed was moved and a little baby sister laid in his bed in the next room. He was very excited to welcome the new addition into his home, and he was also very happy to have a new bed!
the main themes of this picture book are grow
Maggie Klipp
This picture book tells the story of the bear family who is about to welcome a new member to the family. Brother is forced to adjust what he is used to and be a good brother to his brand new baby sister. This book is awesome to read to younger elementary students who most likely either are the younger child or have an older sibling. They are able to relate directly and this book could help to open a conversation among the students about families and the different kinds of families that each stud ...more
Leah Miller
I recently read this book in a kindergarten class that I volunteered in. This book doesn't really have much educational value. It's more of a book just for entertainment. It could kind of be related to sharing and passing on what you don't need or use anymore. I think it is more for young children who just want to hear a story.
Jenny williams
Dec 04, 2012 Jenny williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Berenstain Bears series is one of the biggest children series' in this world today. I personally have read probably 200 different stories all on the Berenstain Bears. This isn't even a series anymore, it's past that stage. This particular short story welcomes the birth of a new baby bear into the family. With this new addition comes things that need to be adjusted accordingly. Mama and Papa Berenstain know that it's going to be hard to adjust to having a newborn baby around the house (mainly ...more
Andrea Tuura
Small Bear thinks life is perfect, living with his Mama and Papa Bear in Bear County. Until one day, Small Bear discovers he will be a big brother! How will Small Bear react to having a new baby in the house?

This book would be good for students who are going to be (or are already) big brothers and sisters.
Hannah Duncan
Sep 02, 2014 Hannah Duncan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All of the Berenstein Bears books tell stories of different things that may happen in your life. They have been known to help children deal with the different situations that may come about because they're all real-life events that happen pretty often. I love all the stories the Berenstein bears tell!
Rosa Cline
Jan 21, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
The Berenstain's once again does a wonderful job using their 'bears' to help teach children about when they get a new baby in the household. How it's okay to grow up and all the neat things you get to do. And it's okay to pass down your crib to your younger sibling and get a new big boy or big girl bed, etc. I read this as a child, I read it to my children and now am reading to my granddaughter. You can't go wrong with Berenstain Bears!
Nick Molinet
Apr 10, 2013 Nick Molinet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bears, baby, siblings
This is one of my favorite Berenstain Bears book because it holds a powerful message that is very helpful especially for children who are going to be the older brother or sister for the first time. This tells the story of when the bear family welcomed its newest member: sister bear and it tells of how the members of the family especially brother bear change their lives and get accustomed to having a new member in the family.

LE: After the story you can have a discussion with the class about if an
Paul Hardin
This is a great book for younger children to have read to them because several children's parents decide to have other children and parents are afraid that their first born wont take it very well. This book goes through the process of how to accept another child into the family. A real life story about this book comes from one of the best friends. They have a three year old and the mom just had a second child. Once a week during the pregnancy, they read this story to the older boy and by the tim ...more
Libby
My four-year-old made me put this one on hold, so some Harford County librarian may think we have a new addition on the way. We don't, but M. is into babies and LOVED this book about Sister Bear's arrival (I think she also likes it as a second child herself).
Lumi / Otso
the book is ok by itself, but it was misnamed. it doesn't talk much about the baby. a better name for the book would be "bear outgrows his bed", because it seems like the bulk of the story is about the bear being too big for his bed, and then the father building a new one. it's the last 2 pages where it is like "and oh yeah it's a damn good thing because while you were in the woods making a bed for a few hours, the mother had a baby (by herself! and she is already up and about and looks fantasti ...more
Hannah
This one's only getting a note because I clearly remember it being in my grandparents' basement. Of their old house. Next to the fireplace. In contrast, my mother had (has) a vendetta against the Berenstein Bears. She claims they're mean.
  • The New Baby (Little Critter)
  • The Berenstain Bears Give Thanks
  • I am Not Going to Get Up Today!
  • Wild Animals (Touch and Feel)
  • Arthur Lost and Found (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Clifford and the Grouchy Neighbors
  • Little Miss Helpful
  • The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • Franklin Is Messy
  • Amelia Bedelia and Her Wacky World
  • I Can Do It Myself:  Featuring Jim Henson's Sesame Street Muppets
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark