Start by marking “The Chinese Gold Murders” as Want to Read:
The Chinese Gold Murders

The Chinese Gold Murders (Judge Dee (Chronological order) #2)

A.D. 663

In this, the second book in Robert van Gulik's classic mystery series of ancient China, Judge Dee must look into the murder of his predecessor. His job is complicated by the simultaneous disappearance of his chief clerk and the new bride of a wealthy local shipowner.

Meanwhile, a tiger is terrorizing the district, the ghost of the murdered magistrate stalks the tri

Published August 3rd 2004 by Harper Perennial (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Chinese Gold Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chinese Gold Murders

Henry Avila
During the magnificent reign of Tang Dynasty Emperor, Kao-tsung, in China, (649-683) Judge Dee, a historical figure, receives his first important assignment, outside the imperial capital, no not Beijing, this is A.D. 663, Chang'an, ( now called Xi'an) magistrate in the busy Pacific coast port of Peng-lai, reached by a river, ( still his friends warn him, against going, to the provinces) nearby Korea, has just been conquered. The Chinese Empire expands , again, at thirty-three years of age, the y ...more
Nikoleta
Sep 05, 2016 Nikoleta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, historical
Για ακόμη μια φορά ο van Gulik, δημιούργησε μια απολαυστικότατη ιστορία με τα όλα της. Δράση, αγωνία, μεταφυσικο στοιχέιο και πολύ μυστήριο. Βέβαια είχε κ τις ανακρίβειες του και τα... "κουλά" του. Π.χ. ο δικαστής Τι γίνεται παρολίγον θύμα μιας ληστείας και αποφασίζει να βάλει τους ληστές σε υψηλά πόστα σε επαγγέλματα του νόμου. Έτσι, χωρίς πολλά πολλά και ενω τους ήξερε μία ημέρα (κ με ποιον τρόπο τους έμαθε μάλιστα...) Σίγουρα αν δεν είχε κάτι τέτοια το βιβλίο θα έπαιρνε πενταράκι!
Ivonne Rovira
Jan 21, 2013 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robert van Gulik's Judge Dee mysteries are always a delight! Van Gulik, a Dutch diplomat to China and other Asian nations, a linguist and Asian scholar, translated an 18th century Chinese novels on the exploits of a real-life Chinese magistrate during the T'ang Dynasty named Ti Jen-chieh. Simplifying the magistrate's name to Judge Dee Jen-djieh, Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee, first published in 1949 (although not translated into English until 1976), van Gulik introduced the world to the quick mi ...more
Tyj-Orion
Jul 21, 2016 Tyj-Orion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, crime
Много приятна криминална поредица за приключенията на съдията Ди през 7 век в Китай. Леко четиво е, но с прекрасна атмосфера - пренасяш се в тесните китайски улички, погълнати от мъгла, посещаваш плаващите публични домове или будистките храмове, научаваш доста за живота на хората от най-различни касти и професии.

Авторът е ориенталист и ерудит и е работил дълги години като дипломат в Китай и Япония, тъй че добре си познава материала. Самият съдия Ди е реално съществуваща личност и някои от книги
Daniel
Dec 23, 2011 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With this book, I am now a rabid fan of the series. Why? Because van Gulik wrote historical mysteries that read like a really bad-ass Shaw Brothers joint. There are duels, brawls, murders, chase scenes, conspiracy, erotic encounters, and courageous protagonists doing what they do best because, gosh darn-it, it's the right thing to do.

I can't help but gush about this book, even as my description renders it in a juvenile light that does not apply to the proceedings. This is excellent fiction that
Victoria Mixon
Aug 25, 2010 Victoria Mixon rated it really liked it
Oh, my god. I love Robert Hans van Gulik!

I picked this up in a secondhand bookstore along with a pile of authentic vintage mysteries only because it had a rather endearingly self-designed-looking cover. Published by the University of Chicago Press in this particular edition in 1979, it hardly fits my definition of vintage. But it was all blue.

Van Gulik, I learned in the introduction, was born in of Dutch parents in Indonesia in 1910, where he lived his entire childhood, before being transported
Mel
Nov 23, 2012 Mel rated it it was amazing
This book is the earliest of the Judge Dee novels that I've read. It was only the second one written and takes place just after Dee passes his examinations and is first appointed to the provinces. I have to say I preferred the earlier naïve and more engaging Dee to the later older version. The murders involved poisoned tea, corrupt monks, and of course prostitutes. One thing that was interesting about this book was the strong Korean presence in the city. Van Gulik said that he got the idea for t ...more
Fenia Vazaka
Dec 11, 2016 Fenia Vazaka rated it liked it
Πολύ ευχάριστο και εύπεπτο και αυτό το βιβλίο. Ειδικά αν έχεις συνηθίσει τον τρόπο γραφής του συγγραφέα και κατανοήσει τις διαφορές στην νοοτροπία και στα ήθη και έθιμα που επικρατούσαν εκείνη την εποχή στην Κίνα.
Νομίζω ότι θα μου άρεσε να δω τις περιπέτειες του δικαστή Τι και σε μίνι σειρά!
Συνεχίζω ολοταχώς με το επόμενο βιβλίο της σειράς!
Gouty
Aug 18, 2008 Gouty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, history
The books by R.H. Van Gulik probably did more than any other books to make me what I am and directed my life. In elementary school a neighbor gave me one (The Chinese Lake Murders), I read that and all of the other Judge Dee mysteries. This started my interest in China, and as friends know the rest is history.
R.H. Van Gulik was the Dutch ambassador to China during the 1940's. He was a true scholar about everything from Chinese erotic art, the Chinese lute, to Chinese snuff bottles. As a hobby h
Maria Altiki
Oct 29, 2016 Maria Altiki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
Απο τις ωραίες ιστορίες του Δικαστή Τι με αρκετό μυστήριο. Με γοητεύει ότι ο Δικαστής Τι είναι πραγματικό πρόσωπο στην αρχαία Κίνα και ας μην είναι όλες οι ιστορίες που αφηγούνται τα βιβλία του Van Gulik πραγματικές. Μου άρεσε η "ξενάγηση" στο PengLai σε βαθμό να θέλω να το επισκεφτώ κάποια στιγμή.

Spoiler:

Αυτό που με σόκαρε πάντως στο βιβλίο ήταν η θέση της γυναίκας τότε και η αντιμετώπιση που είχε η κυρία Κου απο τον άντρα της και τον πατέρα της μετά τον βιασμό της. Σύμφωνα με τον κώδικα τιμής
Lynn
Dec 11, 2014 Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Judge Dee is a Magistrate in 7th century China and these mysteries are based on 18th century Chinese mystery novels adapted by a 20th century Dutch translator/diplomat. Confused? I was too, but I enjoyed the operatic plot elements and characters anyway.
Maria Thomarey
Τίποτα το σπουδαιο
Franz
Nov 06, 2016 Franz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good. This one differs from the others in two points: the story tells two actual killings rather than only finding/recovering the corpses, and it incorporates some ghostly events that do not find a rational explanation - quite liked it!
Again, my edition is not listed.
Anders Ivö
Jan 12, 2017 Anders Ivö rated it really liked it
Gillar Robert van Guliks böcker om domare Dee. Man får en inblick i Kinas tidigare historiska miljö och samhälle. Tycker att han lyckas bra med att återge detta samhälle. Finner hans böcker mycket underhållande.
Joshua
Jul 22, 2015 Joshua rated it it was amazing
Every so often, one simply just craves a good mystery. An unconventional mystery. A mystery that’s not overshadowed by petty things like romance. Murder! Mayhem! Treachery! Deception! Well, the Chinese Gold Murders is an excellent solution to this craving. One of a series of novels about a magistrate in Imperial China named Judge Dee, this book was written by a Dutch diplomat in the style of Ming dynasty detective novels. A combination policeman, judge, and ruler, Dee serves as judge, jury, and ...more
Raja99
Apr 01, 2009 Raja99 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mcpl, bedside-y4
This is the second time I've read this book. I thoroughly enjoyed it, though there are some nitpicks. For one, there are a few strange turns of phrase that might betray the fact that English isn't the author's first language. (But they aren't too common, and they might be a matter of dialect.) Also, the map of Peng-Lai at the beginning didn't quite seem to correspond to the sectional map on page 95 (the small map shows an arrow pointing east to the city, while the big map suggests it should be w ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 05, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries, china
Judge DEE is fashioned after the historical figure of a real Judge Dee, famous in ancient Chinese panels as a scholar and magistrate. Robert van Gulik who was born in the Netherlands and served in the diplomat Service in China and Japan for many years. His interest in Asian languages led him to the discovery of Chinese detective novels and to this historical character. This book details how Judge Dee began his career and how he met up with his constant companions who appear in all the subsequent ...more
Stephen
Sep 05, 2014 Stephen rated it really liked it
I've read several of the Judge Dee books, each at least twice over many years. They stand up well, for all they are so far away in time, place and culture. There are many detective novels set long ago and far away but these books have special humor and wit.
Judge Dee was supposedly a real person who inspired an oral tradition of detective yarns that Dutchman Robert Van Gulik translated and worked up. Book jackets claim that he is the first detective fiction to use investigation, ratiocination an
cindy
Dapat buku ini di tumpukan2 yusuf agency di pameran buku bbrp bulan lalu. minggu lalu nonton film-nya Andy Lau Detective Dee and the Phantom Flame dan teringat pada buku ini. Lumayan menarik, seperti Judge Bao, tapi lebih memakai logika dan ilmu pengetahuan.

Yang lebih menarik lagi, ternyata pengarangnya, Robert van Gulik, itu orang Belanda yang dibesarkan di Batavia. Fasih berbahasa Jawa, Melayu dan berbagai dialek Cina, selain juga mampu berkomunikasi dengan bahasa Rusia, Perancis, Inggris dan
Jim
Feb 26, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it
This is one of van Gulik's first novels involving the Chinese magistrate, Judge Dee. As is usually the case with the Judge Dee novels, this one has a number of themes that complement the main plot of the novel, which is the murder of Judge Dee's predecessor in the city of Peng Lai. This is Judge Dee's first assignment as a magistrate and he is new to Peng Lai, the murder of his predecessor having just occurred shortly before Dee's arrival.

The author's plots are circuitous and the use of Chinese
Writerlibrarian
Oct 25, 2013 Writerlibrarian rated it really liked it
A reread. Classic Chinese detective tale, almost verbatim from archival accounts. van Gulik was a world renowned sinologist and he had a passion for Chinese criminal justice. His hero Judge Dee is based on an historical judge and his adventures around the Empire starting around 663 AD. It's well done, the reader is put right inside the story and you get to learn a few interesting things about the Empire frontier life on the Korean borders. I love his original mysteries. The new adventures of Jud ...more
Nancy Oakes
Feb 12, 2008 Nancy Oakes rated it really liked it
#3 in the series; not as well developed in character as the later ones, but still quite good.

Magistrate Judge Dee, in Tang-Dynasty China, is tasked with trying to find out who killed his predecessor. But also, all in a day's work, there's a tiger on the loose, a monk is buried in the wrong grave, and there's a ghost floating around. There is never a dull moment; I enjoy watching the unraveling of each of the subplots in these novels.

recommended for those who enjoy historical mysteries, or book
Erik
Jul 03, 2013 Erik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kathy Chung
Jan 20, 2014 Kathy Chung rated it really liked it
in the this book, judge dee is just beginning his career. he have yet to have the impressive "image" of a judge as compared to the later books.

nevertheless, his "innocence" was captivating.

here, his two side kicks played a more active role in helping Judge Dee to solve the case.

the only downside of the story is the ending. I find that the way Judge Dee solved the case and how the cases played out according to the opera was too simple. I had expected more.

nevertheless I liked the beginning and
Kim
Nov 13, 2016 Kim rated it really liked it
Chronologically the first of the Judge Dee mysteries, with the young Dee taking on his first assignment as magistrate, meeting the indefatigable Ma Joong and Chiao Tai for the first time, but the author has already developed his style since this novel was written later in the series. Excellent plots twists and characters as usual, and just a hint of the mystical that matches the style of ancient Chinese stories. A quick read and well worth the time.
Lisa Kucharski
Jul 15, 2011 Lisa Kucharski rated it really liked it
This story line is from the very first post that Judge Dee is assigned to as Magistrate. The first crime to solve, who killed the last magistrate. Fun story where one sees how the Dee Team got together.

Interesting book that really shows a lot of daily cultural views and attitudes. Great mystery, and as always a great intro that helps one learn more about Chinese mysteries that Gulik's books are inspired by.
Frank McAdam
Aug 15, 2016 Frank McAdam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read several of the Judge Dee mysteries and this is one of the best. It's cleverly enough plotted that the reader is unlikely to guess the solution, is packed with action, and even contains hints of the supernatural. The author, van Gulik, was even more interesting than his literary creations and this University of Chicago edition has an excellent introduction for those unfamiliar with his life. Highly recommended for those who enjoy mysteries set in unusual locales.
Janneke
Vroeger had ik dit boek over Rechter Tie al eens gelezen, maar ik heb het nu met plezier weer gelezen. Robert van Gulik weet dankzij de jaren die hij in als sinoloog in het Verre Oosten doorbracht, goed de sfeer van het oude China (zoals ik het me voorstel) te treffen.
Daarbij hebben de misdaden die Rechter Tie oplost een goede plot en zijn onwaarschijnlijke helpers ontlokken je geregeld een glimlach.
Demerara
Mar 25, 2016 Demerara rated it really liked it
I just found this series and I'm hooked. I love books that take me to a different time and place--and mystery stories in old China are really different. Gives a window on a whole new (old) culture and legal system. Very readable and interesting, although stylistically completely different from contemporary mystery stories.
Brittney
Feb 14, 2012 Brittney rated it liked it
Going into reading this, I had very low expectations because it was a book assigned for my history class. I was pleasantly surprised of how much it kept me turning the pages. The story keeps you engaged and Judge Dee is a very clever and witty character. I have always loved historical fiction, but now I may have to start checking out more in the mystery genre.
  • The Concubine's Tattoo (Sano Ichiro, #4)
  • Island of Exiles (Sugawara Akitada, #4)
  • A Loyal Character Dancer (Inspector Chen Cao #2)
  • SPQR VII: The Tribune's Curse (SPQR, #7)
  • Младенец и чёрт / Мука разбитого сердца (Смерть на брудершафт #1,2)
  • Time to Depart (Marcus Didius Falco, #7)
  • Harem (Cetin Ikmen, #5)
  • The Eye of Jade (A Mei Wang Mystery, #1)
Robert Hans van Gulik was a Dutch diplomat best know for his Judge Dee stories. His first published book, The Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee, was a translation of an eighteenth-century Chinese murder mystery by an unknown author; he went on to write new mysteries for Judge Dee, a character based on a historical figure from the seventh century. He also wrote academic books, mostly on Chinese history ...more
More about Robert van Gulik...

Judge Dee (Chronological order) (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee (Dee Goong An)
  • The Lacquer Screen