Start by marking “Pitch Anything: An Innovative Method for Presenting, Persuading, and Winning the Deal: An Innovative Method for Presenting, Persuading, and Winning the Deal” as Want to Read:

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  1,514 ratings  ·  119 reviews
Gold Medal Winner--Tops Sales World's Best Sales and Marketing Book

"Fast, fun and immensely practical." -JOE SULLIVAN, Founder, Flextronics

"Move over Neil Strauss and game theory. "Pitch Anything" reveals the next big thing in social dynamics: game for business." -JOSH WHITFORD, Founder, Echelon Media

"What do supermodels and venture capitalists have in common? They hear hu
Published February 16th 2011 by McGraw-Hill (first published January 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Pitch Anything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pitch Anything

Louis
I really liked Pitch Anything. and thought posting my notes here might be useful for some people. There's more detail in the book, but this will give you a good idea of what you're getting into.

Basics:
-Good pitching depends on method. It can be learned.
-Pitches are sent from the modern – and smart – part of the brain, the neocortex. But they are received by the old “croc brain.”
-This is not numbered based selling or being pushy. Both sides should leave happy and not feel like they were used o
Will Johnson
To be honest, this book was nothing but the author bragging about how good he is at pitching companies for funding. All of his anecdotes surrounded his field of venture capitalism so this book doesn't generalize well to other fields.

The book is also poorly organized - in the beginning, Klaff makes mention of a system he uses but the book does not relate his advice back to the system he outlined for the reader.

The most annoying part for me was his take on "Frames" - i.e. the mental attitude / rol
Anna Lundberg
Blog post!

When I was growing up, I was very stubborn. I used to get incredibly frustrated when someone didn’t understand what I was saying. When my dad said no (he was also stubborn) without even listening to my very logical rationale. When my sister wouldn’t lend me her dungarees. When my teacher told me off. I knew I was right, so why weren’t they convinced?

So much has been written about effective communication. There is the statistic that your words only account for 7% while tone of voice con
Jade
Jul 09, 2011 Jade rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Salespeople, Social Engineers, Sociologists
I won this book from Goodreads

Pitch Anything is not like any other book about pitching, selling or negotiating. Oren Klaff in this book outlines the basic core principles of human social interaction and how to analyze and take advantage of the basic instincts of other humans. It provides methods for tuning your language and information delivery to maximize impact by stirring peoples core emotions. Within the first few chapters I found myself analyzing my everyday social interactions and using
Gisela Hausmann
"Pitch Anything" is a highly entertaining read but does it deliver what it promises?... Not quite...

While the title "Pitch Anything" suggests that this is a book for everbody pitching anything, nothing could be further from the truth. I was expecting a system, which would be so good that it would teach how to pitch tooth picks or clay flower pots. Obviously there are sales people, who have to sell such items too. Or, how about pitching to your grandmother that she should leave a certain ring to
Gloria

It was okay. I think many people will enjoy it because he works through the material with his own personal experiences.

Have to say that his referencing is pretty weak, and he is clearly influenced by many of the other current, hot writers (Gladwell, etc).

If you are not already familiar with the idea, the most valuable thing is his application of framing and his specific application of framing (and countering frames) when making a 20 minute pitch.

Book needs to be edited and reviewed by the publ
Mario Tomic
This is the second time I read this book and it made a lot more sense then when I read it for the first time a year ago. I've been through a lot of books of sales and Pitch Anything is definitely one of the best. Even if you're not in sales I would highly recommend you to read this book, it will not be boring and the techniques presented in the book will help you understand the way people communicate on a much deeper level. Overall I'm glad I decided to read this book again and I'm sure it's not ...more
Lololita
This book is so poorly organized it's hard to get through. It's more anecdotal than instructional. But most of all it's self-congratulatory. The author is a big fan of...the author.
Jay
Klaff describes the mano a mano, sales gladiator competition and purports to give a method for winning these kinds of battles. The method, though, is a bit confused - there are lots of encoded terms for the way salesmen deal with customers or other salesmen. That was interesting, but what I actually liked best was Klaff's anecdotes on the sales calls he has made in the past. He seems to be at his best competing against or selling to other big ego buyers, and his stories about splitting the apple ...more
Jesse
Oren Klaff is in desperate need of A) an editor, and B) whatever is the opposite of an ego boost. He's one of the most unlikeable authors I've ever read, and that's on top of the fact that he can't write.

That said, the book does indeed contain helpful concepts for people who find pitching difficult to master. He presents (made-up) terminology to help categorize different types of social dynamics during pitches, and then discusses how to thrive in each of them.

To bring this book up to even 4 star
Audiaa
I expected to read about the STRONG method of pitching (which is displayed on the inside jacket cover) in this book, but it's really not described anywhere and hardly even mentioned in entirety inside the book. A few parts of this method are described individually, but not all of them, and at no point is everything brought together. I didn't really like the organization of the book - it didn't go through the method from start to finish. Instead different techniques were brought up to help with d ...more
Amy
Although i do a fair amount of pitching, I've never really listened to others' pitches or spent any time in sales training. Mr. Klaff's philosophy makes sense to me and helps me recognize some things I can do better in my pitch storylines, but it also makes me grateful that I work in nonprofit industries and operate within real and ongoing friendly relationships in my business.
One thing i found somewhat off-putting is that the author seems to position the human interest and altruistic pitch ele
Perry
Generally useful information. Some of the typical business book BS (eg long example chapter at the end that wasn't particularly useful). The concepts that stuck with me:

-Framing (power / moral / prize): owning the frame of the conversation is crucial for pitching anything. The framing techniques discussed in the book may have benefited from some additional fleshing out IMO, but if you're not familiar with the concept it's a good introduction.

-Budget over Projections: Liked Klaff's suggestion to
Josh

This book pupped up on Audible's sale list at just the right moment for me. I had just had a meeting with an agency where I was pitching my company to them. I just wish I had listened to this book before going! I was really intrigued by the system presented here. Logically it seems like it would really work. I am looking forward to trying some of these techniques next time, although I'm sure it will take LOTS of practice.

I like the guy's energy and way of doing business. However I don't like th
Hakan Jackson
Anyone familiar with the Star Wars movies and witnessed the Jedi Mind Trick and wish that they could do that themselves should be happy with this book. Be warned, it's not likely you'll master the abilities this book claims with one passive reading of this book. You can't either use this book as a starting point of your own rigorous training program. Or you can go to the website with the same title and sign up for the "executive training program". That's right the book about pitching anything is ...more
David Bradley
Nov 30, 2014 David Bradley rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: investment bankers
This was the first audiobook I ever really had, and there was good and bad to mention there. First, it is nice to hear Oren's tonality as he goes through the examples. Second, I'd at least be happier with a hard copy and a highlighter, so note-taking could be a bit easier than having to pause, write, and hit play again for the next sentence or two.

Audiobook issues aside, the content was pretty good. My only gripe (and why it has 4 stars instead of 5 likely), is that Oren didn't extend his style
Jerrod Carter
Loved it. I have an upcoming presentation and this book will guide how I structure it. While I'm not seeking funding or asking for anything to be awarded or given me, I am expecting that my presentation will move my audience to enthusiasm for new software that they will be recieving. I believe this book will give me tools to make sure they will be enthused.

I recommend this book highly and think it will help anyone who wants to understand how interactions work between people. As Mr. Klaff says at
Abhijay Sisodia
Counter intuitive to the present ways of "sales" talks.
Daniel
I think a lot of the concepts and terminology here is universal not just to "pitching" but to producing compelling marketing videos, copy, sales and more. My personal feeling is that "pitching" is a less effective sales strategy than learning about the customer and developing trust and demonstrating expertise by solving their problems. My favorite metaphor is to think of yourself as doctor. If you went to doctor and he just started prescribing medication without asking questions (pitching!) you' ...more
Martin Linkov
Very intesting and no-bullshit book.

The author seems to know his stuff and is talking out of personal experience.

He is getting deep into the domains of frame and situation controlling, winning and retaining attention and creating desire.

I highly recommend this book.
W. Whalin
Editors and agents are always looking for fresh ideas. Something innovative that will capture the imagination of the reading public. The process begins with an idea then it evolves into a story to illustrate the concept with some compelling words.

For many years I've been interested in the publishing process. Which ideas are published and which ideas languish? What is the process to persuade an editor or agent to take your project or to get a magazine editor to publish your words?

Some of this pro
John
Apr 20, 2012 John is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Great Sales book. Not your usual - I have 1100 closes Bullshit. This guy teaches strategy! LOVE IT!
Cyndie
Jul 21, 2014 Cyndie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cyndie by: Michael Courtney
Sorry Oren - but this pitch created feelings of fear and threat so it didn't speak to my croc brain.

Ultimately I think my husband put it best - this book is kind of soulless. While he makes allusions to our responsibility to make sure the products and offerings we are pitching are legitimate, this strategy essentially promotes itself as a way to circumvent rational thinking.

I liked the idea that emotions are more deeply involved in decision making than we like to think, and the importance of s
Jamie
I wouldn't consider this a great read. I enjoyed hearing the author's airport pitch as I thought it brought the concepts together, but I feel the lessons he was trying to convey were a bit jumbled throughout the rest of the book. The main message is to portray yourself as an alpha dog, even when you need (money/time/expertise) from someone who is much higher than you on the social/business ladder. I feel there have to be other authors out there who shed more light on this subject and will contin ...more
Marc
The big issue: Oren Klaff views sales as pure confrontation.

If you want to learn how to pitch clients who will play games with you and manipulate you - and beat them at their own game - this will give you some insights. If that's the kind of client you want to work with (especially if they are big-time investors/VCs) then this book will be useful.

Otherwise, beware. It's a very old style where your goals are objection-smashing, psychological power-plays and dominance. It's clear that he borrows
Apricity
Thibaut
May 09, 2013 Thibaut rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Thibaut by: personalmba.com
Shashwat Singh
This is a great book for anyone who has to sell or pitch.

Oren Klaff has an unique method of pitching called STRONG "Setting the Frame; Telling the Story; Revealing the Intrigue; Offering the Prize; Nailing the Hookpoint; and Getting a Decision".

Its a new way of thinking about sales or pitches, one that acknowledges that human beings make snap decisions off "intuition" and gut feelings(i.e what our croc brain likes, such as novelty). We're not perfectly rational beings, our decisions are heavily
Cody
The real deal in sales (pitching), presenting, and social skill!

Learn from a real life business man who has pitched and won both multi-million and billion dollar deals alike. Oren Klaff is addicted to his craft and has combined the consultation of cognitive psychologists with his real life experience to create a method to direct social dynamics. His description of frame control and status within social interactions will open your eyes to how to better get any deal done.
James Pritchert
May 08, 2015 James Pritchert rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
What a wonderful book. This opened my eyes to an entirely new world of presentation skills. His use of the term Frames was completely new to me and a unique way to approach presentations. Honestly, I have been pitching for 40 years and this book puts together many of the missing pieces in my pitches. The book applies to your presentation whether it is a multi-million dollar deal or update the boss. I can not wait to try this out and begin to practice with my new found skill set.
  • Simple Numbers, Straight Talk, Big Profits!: 4 Keys to Unlock Your Business Potential
  • Go It Alone!: The Secret to Building a Successful Business on Your Own
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • The 1% Windfall: How Successful Companies Use Price to Profit and Grow
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Thinking Statistically
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Hire with Your Head: Using Performance-Based Hiring to Build Great Teams
  • Accidental Genius: Using Writing to Generate Your Best Ideas, Insight, and Content
  • Venture Deals: Be Smarter Than Your Lawyer and Venture Capitalist
  • Financial Intelligence for Entrepreneurs: What You Really Need to Know About the Numbers
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • The Psychology of Selling: How to Sell More, Easier, and Faster Than You Ever Thought Possible
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
As Director of Capital Markets for investment bank Intersection Capital, www.intersectioncapital.com, Oren Klaff is responsible for managing the firm’s capital raising platform which includes both direct capital raising and deal syndication. Oren oversees business development and product development and is responsible for the firm’s flagship product, Velocity. He also sits on the investment commit ...more
More about Oren Klaff...
Pitch Anything: An Innovative Method For Presenting, Persuading, And Winning The Deal: An Innovative Methods for Presenting, Persuading and Winning

“Money is never a prize; it’s a commodity, a means for getting things done. Money simply transfers economic value from place to place so that people are able to work together.” 0 likes
“As I’ve said before, the brain is a cognitive miser. Unless it can get value for itself, it stops paying attention.” 0 likes