Start by marking “Yearn” as Want to Read:
Yearn

Yearn

A collection of nine sensual, witty and mystical stories marking Tobsha Learner′s return to the short story format after the international success of both QUIVER and TREMBLE, and exploring the universal experiences of obsession, romantic encounters and secret regrets.

A movie star longs for anonymity; a Sydney sculptor wonders whether a lover can be summoned by the act of a
Published February 2011 by Harper Collins Australia

To ask other readers questions about Yearn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yearn

Lisa Walker
May 08, 2012 Lisa Walker rated it really liked it
I loved the cover of Yearn so much I just had to pick it up. The voluptuous, tattooed woman floating with a crimson parasol had the allure of the off-beat. She promised a lot, but could she deliver?
Erotic fiction is difficult. Badly written, it is smutty, embarrassing or just plain boring. Too much sex and it becomes the opposite of erotic. I am reminded of the over-achieving couple who doggedly set out to have sex every day for a year. Ho hum, I bet the champagne corks were popping at the end
Vicky
May 03, 2011 Vicky rated it liked it
I liked “Tremble”, the old collection of short stories. Unfortunately the new one was lacking on many levels. I hope she writes something as good as the "Witch of Cologne" was. The "Yearn" became repetitive and boring in the second part.
T.C. Mill
Nov 17, 2013 T.C. Mill rated it really liked it
A prize from the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program that I was super excited about! I can’t even count the number of boxes Yearn’s synopsis checked off for me: “Atmospheric and Lyrical” erotica “for readers eager to move beyond Fifty Shades of Grey“.

Happily, it more than lives up to this description.

Yearn has also been described as “a thinking woman’s erotica,” something I am extremely fond of given my propensity to overthink my reading material. However, I don’t think the logic of all these s
Accalia
Jan 29, 2017 Accalia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
+ : I liked how the stories contained details of the stories before them, linking them without really making a link, just a hint here and there that made it more into a whole.

- : That being said, this was not my cup of tea. I was not seduced, even worse, I've felt as if the magic was being pulled out of the sex and love-making. To me it fell flat. It was empty and at times I didn't really get the flow of the story. It left me rather confused and unsatisfied.

= This book has in some ways potentia
Viraphone
To be fair, I have to admit that I'm probably not the intended audience for this kind of books. ((view spoiler)) But you know, I kinda wanted to try to understand what the hype about these was... and I still don't get it. I p ...more
Tami
I haven't received my copy yet, just received notice I had won.
12/10/13
Received my copy and hope to start soon. Have 9 more plus my current read in front. 12/19/13
Started 1/17/14
finished 1/24/14

Several short stories with an element of erotica loosely tied together in a series of events.

The writing was good, the story lines interesting, and the sex scenes were passable. I just had two glaring issues and it was hard for me to get past them. First the story of the movie star on the airplane. I wi
Lace
Dec 05, 2013 Lace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, own
There are so many things I liked about this book! I love that the author has a vivid imagination. Her writing style is simply beautiful. The characters in the short stories were often complex and flawed, and so well written I felt like I one of them. I enjoyed that the stories were all linked to one another, even if only by a name drop. Probably my favorite thing is that this isn't pure smut. By that I mean it's not short stories like "so-and-so met this person and then -BAM- graphic raunchy sex ...more
Janet
Jan 30, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erotica, magic and fantasy abound in this Tobsha Learner collection. Like her previous story collection, there is pretty much something for everyone here. Did I like them all? No, but I liked enough to recommend it. Her stories are well conceived, complete and interesting, sometimes downright titillating. I don't think anyone would be reading straight through, this is the kind of material that is best in short bursts, which the author delivers!
*I received my copy from NetGalley.com in exchange f
Asia
Dec 10, 2013 Asia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book the most at the beginning. The first story was, to me, the most interesting. As it progressed I felt the connections between each short story growing weaker. This made it seem a bit more disconnected than I would have liked. However, as a series of independent short stories it is fun to read and it does not waste time on purple prose. It is simple and fun. Not a serious study but an enjoyable aside from more serious readings.
Lauren Seaver
Dec 21, 2014 Lauren Seaver rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got this book for pre-review reading. The short story format was very good the stories varied and kept you entertained. Fun read.
Yannie
Yannie rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2011
Lani
Lani rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2012
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2012
Olivia
Olivia rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2011
Kendall Daley
Kendall Daley rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2015
Rhiannon
Rhiannon rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2014
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2014
Kate Bonham
Kate Bonham rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2012
Nat
Nat rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2014
Silvia
Silvia rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2012
Bri
Bri rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2011
Seona
Seona rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2012
Florence
Florence rated it did not like it
Jul 23, 2012
Jennifer rated it really liked it
May 21, 2014
Amelia Hennessy
Amelia Hennessy rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2012
Kiara
Kiara rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2011
Emmanuelle Maupassant
Emmanuelle Maupassant rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2014
Bri
Bri rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2012
sharon swanson
sharon swanson rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2015
  • Solace in Scandal
  • The Age
  • A Stillness of Chimes
  • While You're Away (While You're Away, #1)
  • Shifter Romance Boxed Set
  • Promise Me Something
  • Goddess Born (Goddess Born, #1)
  • Turned (The Belladonna Agency, #1)
  • 33 Snowfish
  • Ghostwriting: Tales of the Supernatural
  • When Mystical Creatures Attack!
  • Mecca Pimp: A Novel of Love and Human Trafficking
  • Surrender (The Dining Club #8)
  • Hot Down Under Bundle 3
  • The Young Forester
  • The Good Luck Charm
  • The Impaler's Revenge (The Impaler Legacy, #1)
  • Glide: The Prophet's Revenge (Glide Trilogy #1)
Aka T.S. Learner

Tobsha Learner was born and raised in England; she now divides her time between Australia, the UK and the USA. She is well known in Australia as an author and playwright.
More about Tobsha Learner...