Start by marking “Proposta indecente” as Want to Read:
Proposta indecente

Proposta indecente

What would you do for a million dollars?

This is the novel that spawned the blockbuster Paramount motion picture starring Robert Redford, Demi Moore & Woody Harrelson and had everyone asking "Would you do it?"

But Hollywood's rendition of Jack Engelhard's novel didn't tell the real story. Within Engelhard's Indecent Proposal: The Original Novel are the explosive Arab v

Published May 1994 by Mondolibri (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Proposta indecente, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Proposta indecente

Gisela Hausmann
Nov 05, 2013 Gisela Hausmann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jack-engelhard
20 years after I watched the movie by the same title, I finally read the original novel "Indecent Proposal". Then, in 1993, for me the movie's main question reduced itself to: Why would any woman go back to Woody Harrelson when she can have Robert Redford? In fact, I thought that Woody Harrelson portrayed an unattractive person in comparison to Robert Redford, which made the question even more natural. Now having read the book, I think Harrelson's performance may have been the finest of all thre ...more
Nina Draganova
Jan 10, 2016 Nina Draganova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Започвам с това , че между книгата и филма няма много общи неща. Много рядко ми се случва да не мога да избера, кой от двата варианта ми е харесал повече. Филмът ми е много любим , заради неподражаемото участие на Робърт Редфорд. Книгата ме изправи пред трудни размисли. Дали наистина всеки би се продал? Каква е цената на достойнството?
Много повече ми хареса Джоан от книгата,много интелигентна героиня, заредена с оптимизъм ,търсеща хармония. Според мен една жена ако наистина обича мъжа до себе с
Booky
Jan 14, 2016 Booky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining. Granted, the premise that every woman has a price is flawed, but this book was redeemed by the great writing.
Sharon
Aug 21, 2015 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is quite difficult to judge a book fairly once you have watched the movie. It was a long time ago that I saw the Hollywood Blockbuster and it has faded in my mind a bit so I thought it was time to give the book a go.
Engelhard's novel goes so much deeper than the movie and throws up many intriguing questions on life and people's morals and actions, as well as how fate can throw us into situations both good and bad.
Yes the suspense of the 'will she, won't she' will obviously be exciting to anyb
Camille-Sherry
Jun 12, 2013 Camille-Sherry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Indecent Proposal by Jack Engelhard, focuses on main character Joshua Cantor, who is experiencing monumental financial difficulties (eviction, repossession, bill collectors, etc) with and an intensive desire to provide better for him and wife. The topic is about money. The fears and insecurities of having very little. The security, glamour and confidence of having a lot. Its power, control, freedom and compromises; as well as, the old sane: the nature of man is never satisfied because there is a ...more
Anita
Sep 21, 2012 Anita rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This in-depth psychological examination of the old joke that ends with the punchline: "We've already established that. Now we're just deciding on a price." was a disappointment. I haven't seen the movie, but Robert Redford doesn't look like an Arab sheik to me. I probably couldn't get into the book because the Kindle edition (free on my Kindle deal of the day!) was riddled with typos, bad margins, and completely wrong words. What's the matter with you people? Proofread! Just because it's free do ...more
Roseann
Apr 30, 2012 Roseann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of us know the premise of the story from the movie, but the book is so much more. It is a moral dilemma, a love story and a bit of history dealing with the Arab-Israeli conflict. It's worth reading.
Kathleen Baker
Apr 29, 2012 Kathleen Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of those books that I could not put down. Therefore I five it a five star.
Caedy  Eries
Title: Indecent Proposal
Author: Jack Englehard
Rating: 4/5

Summary: In Atlantic City, after watching a major player lose and win back millions at the blackjack table, Joshua Kane and his wife Joan are presented with a devil's deal when they meet a rich Arab sultan who offers Joshua one million dollars in exchange for a night with Joan. But that night isn't the end of their entanglement. Jew and Arab, the men are brothers even when murderously jealous. The Gentile woman is between them, but neither
Alexandra
Aparitia acestei carti a reprezentat un adevarat fenomen cultural, devenind un roman clasic international. In 1993, Holywoodul a transformat drama unei dileme morale intr-un adevarat succes de casa. Tema acestei capodopere este una eterna, intalnita chiar si in Biblie: tentatia.
Un cuplu sarac isi incearca norocul intr-un cazinou din Las Vegas. Sotia Joan, este absolut superba. Prezenta sa atrage atentia unui sarmant miliardar care poate obtine tot ce isi doreste. Este obisnuit sa cumpere chiar s
Garrett Zecker
Interestingly, many of the reviews of this book directly reference the 1993 film, but neglect the fact that the book was originally published in 1988, and the reviewers tend to reference the fact that they loved the film and that this book did not live up to their expectations, regardless of the fact that it has not been out of print since as far as I am aware and has been translated into close to 25 languages. As of this writing, I have not seen the film yet (it is on my Netflix Queue, ready to ...more
Elaine
*Spoiler alert noted at bottom.

Can any relationship endure a proposal such as the rich Arab sultan presents?

Josh and Joan are very much in love. Though she is satisfied with the way things are for them financially, he is unhappy with not being able to provide a lifestyle to which she is accustomed, thereby spending much time at casinos trying to land the elusive big winnings. This indecent proposal could be just the ticket.

Beyond the great truisms within these pages, the author presents delica
Jinky
Wow, very different from the movie and wouldn't you know it, I like the movie version much better! The only significant thing I saw that the movie stayed true to the book was the proposition (a very rich man to pay a million dollars to spend a night with another man's wife). Everything else was different, from character names to the journey to the ending.

A very moral seeking situation this proposition invites and so goes the fascination for the read. I didn't care for the book's process though.
Therese
$0.0

Joshua Kane wants desperately to be rich so he can give his wife, Joan, everything her heart desires even though she assures him she is happy just being his wife. He's not convinced especially since they were both once married to other people and divorced so they could be together. He is always concerned as to if and/or whether it will happen again.

Everything takes a turn when an error billionaire offers him $1 million (tax free) for one night with his wife. Will he consent? Will she/

Usually
Jennifer Erwin
Jun 01, 2012 Jennifer Erwin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
I made it to 63% then I had to just stop. I've not seen the movie so I don't have any previous bias, or knowledge other than: there's a movie with Robert Redford, Demi Moore, & Woody Harrelson. Ok, onto the book. This was so not my cup of tea. I got it as a freebie download, and I'm willing to read anything, but this just...ugh. I couldn't stand how unhappy the main male character is. Dude, if you are that unhappy, then change!! You have the power, this is America, land of the free. Yet he p ...more
Rebekah
This was a fascinating read, I couldn't put it down. An ugly unflinching look at American greed and inequality. If this is how things were in the 80s, I can't imagine how the author would respond to the excess and worship of money & complete lack of morality seen in our society today (reality shows?) The characters were fascinating and complicated but disturbing as well. Mainly because you could understand why this proposal was so tempting in our capitalistic society that regularly enslaves ...more
Melinda Gregory
3.5 stars. Interesting read. Should say that I've not seen the movie, the Demi Moore / Robert Redford one, but was sorta familiar with the concept for the film and book: husband and wife are offered one million dollars by a super rich guy - all they have to do is agree for the wife to spend one night with the super rich guy. So, that's pretty much the novel in a nutshell. Of course, it goes beyond that, exploring international relations (really), race, class, gender roles, etc. etc. Now having r ...more
M
Jun 30, 2013 M rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rarely is the movie better than the book. This is one of those times. Essentially all that remains of this book in the film - which is one of my all-time favourites - is the central premise of a man 'buying' a night with another man's wife. Unlike the film, which is about love and, unsurprisingly, fidelity, the books is about money, class, and - weirdly - Hitler, Israel, and immigration. Very disappointing to get Hitler, when I wanted Demi and Woody.
Karschtl
Als der Film in die Kinos kam, beschäftigte dieses unmoralische Angebot die Gemüter der Menschen. Es ist ja auch eine interessante Offerte, über die man hypothetische Überlegungen anstellen kann - solange man nicht selbst eine der betroffenen Personen ist.

Das Buch ist leicht anders als der Film, aber ganz genau erinnern kann ich mich nicht mehr.
Alana
Oct 20, 2012 Alana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a fan. Remembering the movie long ago I recently had the opportunity to read the book. Big mistake. The way in which the husband and the wife related to one another in the book was extremely irritating to me. That alone set me in the a bad reading frame of mind. I didn't like or root for one character in this book.
Joan Collins
Mar 20, 2014 Joan Collins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting from moral, religious, values point of view. Magnifies the saying, "Be careful what you wish for". Speaks to the violation of your inner conscience and the consequences of giving into temptation. A literary read, have not seen the movie, plan to as others have preferred it to the book.

May entertain another of this author's books for comparison of style.
Mike
Aug 24, 2012 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was a lot different than the movies story. The plot was pretty much the same, rich man makes offer of a million dollars for one night with guys wife. I would recommend the book to my friends and family.
Kathy
Apr 29, 2012 Kathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Don't bother with the book. The movie was much better and quite a bit different than the book. It was not well-written and the dialogue was difficult to follow. I had a kindle edition and there were many typos and formatting errors.
Linda
Jun 09, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book...lots of information...and it took awhile for the "indecent proposal" to come out...but it really got interesting when it did. I have not seen the movie, maybe now I will. I was happy with the ending, a bit of a surprise.
Judy
Aug 14, 2012 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very...I'm not sure. I can see this book being the selection of a discusion group. There is a lot to think about. What would I decide...we would all like to think we would take the high ground...but the temptation. Philosophy was my minor in college.
Steven
Apr 30, 2012 Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, I would highly recommend the author's' Escape From Mount Moriah as a primer to reading this story. Terrific storyteller, Englehards novel is nothing at all like the soap opera movie it begat.
Elice Mcneely
Quick Read

Quick and easy read.

Not a favorite of mine at all.

Definitely not one i would re-read.

Good character development but just the nature of the story line doesn't make me really cheer for any of the characters and what happens to them
Jill Jaques
No no and no. I should have stuck with just seeing the movie. The movie was so much better. If I had read the book first I might not have liked the movie. But all I've ever known is the movie. Not too many people agree with me and how much I love the movie-but I do! It is one of my favorite movies.
Leah Hortin
May 01, 2012 Leah Hortin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Reading this book was just... exhausting. The dialog was exhausting. Such a shame... I enjoyed the movie but it was quite different. The concept is good, interesting insight into human nature and wealth/power.
J.A.
Jun 05, 2008 J.A. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you saw the movie... the only thing in common is the title and the main thing. The book is much better; it introduces more complexities to it.
  • Secrets, Lies, & Love
  • Speculation
  • Leaving the Comfort Cafe
  • Falling Uphill
  • Falling Under
  • Simple Simon (Art Jefferson, #4)
  • Whale Song
  • Crossroads Road
  • Runaway Choices
  • Lily White Lies
  • Tides Of Love (Zebra Historical Romance)
  • Her Nowhere
  • Drew in Blue
  • The Other Daughter

“If you ever want something badly, let it go. If it comes back
to you, then its yours forever. If it doesnt, then it was never
yours to begin with.”
32 likes
“I remember once when I was young, and I was coming back from some place, a movie or something.

I was on the subway and there was a girl sitting across from me and she was wearing this dress that was bottoned queer up right to here, she was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

And I was shy then, so when she would look at me I would look away, then afterwards when I would look back she would look away.

Then I got to where I was gonna get off, and got off, the doors closed, and as the train was pulling away she looked right at me and gave me the most incredible smile. It was awful, I wanted to tear the doors open.

And I went back every night, same time, for two weeks, but she never showed up.

That was 30 years ago and I don't think that theres a day that goes by that I don't think about her, I don't want that to happen again.

Just one dance ?.”