Start by marking “Ten Birds” as Want to Read:
Ten Birds

Ten Birds

A clever counting book and fable unlike any other and winner of the 2011 Governor General's Award for Illustration. Ten birds are trying to figure out how to get to the other side of the river. The bird they call "Brilliant" devises a pair of stilts. The bird they call "Highly Satisfactory" engineers a raft. One by one, nine resourceful birds make the crossing until a ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Kids Can Press

To ask other readers questions about Ten Birds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Birds

Arminzerella
I liked the illustrations and the birds were cute. But the whole time I'm thinking, "Birds can fly! Birds can fly! Birds can fly!" They don't need all of these contraptions to get them to the other side. Also? There's a BRIDGE! Birds can walk! Birds can hop! Birds...oh, forget it.
Erika Bowen
Nov 26, 2016 Erika Bowen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-summaries
1. Book Summary in your own words
A counting book where ten birds are trying to cross a river. Each more genius than the last.
2. Grade level, interest level, lexile
PreK-2
3. Appropriate classroom use (subject area)
Counting (math), common sense, inadequacies of labels, ingenuity
4. Individual students who might benefit from reading
Students who are learning to count. Students who are labeled and want to prove others wrong.
5. Small group use (literature circles)
In groups, students will think of as man
Annie Payne
Oct 24, 2016 Annie Payne rated it it was amazing
The artwork in this book is wonderful! I read this book to kids ranging in age from 3-8 years, and they all enjoyed it. They loved taking guesses as to what would happen next as we read, and I loved that it included a counting theme and some really advanced vocabulary that we also got to talk about as we read! Great book all the way around!
Heidi
Oct 21, 2016 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Michael
Oct 18, 2016 Michael rated it really liked it
Brilliant use of counting, unique objects which are also metaphors, and 3D space. There is a sequel which was amusing, but I liked this one better.
Jen
Jun 06, 2013 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
I bought this for my school library because it had won the Governor General Literary Prize for the illustrations--and deservedly so. The detail in each pen and ink drawing can leave you examining each page for hours. The black & white colour scheme is always an eye-catcher amongst the brighter-hued picture books.

However, the story itself seems more likely to appeal to adults than children and the plot--even after exploring this book with several different ages of primary students--leaves m
Michelle McBeth
Nov 11, 2014 Michelle McBeth rated it really liked it
Ten birds come to a river and must figure out a way to cross. Each amazing bird comes up with an ingenious idea leaving one less bird behind. Until finally, the last bird, labeled "needs improvement" simply walks across the bridge.

This book has abstract concepts. It is advertized for grades 1 and up which is appropriate. However it is a counting book and 1st graders know their numbers so then the book becomes about ingenuity and finally the message that good enough is often the best solution.

The
Mallory
May 10, 2012 Mallory rated it did not like it
Ten birds are brainstorming how to get to the other side of a river. One by one they come up with innovative ideas such as building stilts, creating a balloon lift, and catapulting across. The very last bird, the one they call “needs improvement”, comes up with the most obvious answer.

I liked the illustrations but found them a bit too gothic for children to enjoy. It has a cryptic feeling that doesn’t really fit with a book about counting. I wish that Young used another animal for this story be
Carolyn
wide reading for CI 546

grade level: any really but certainly younger kids will enjoy the counting aspect

genre: picture book w/ a very steampunk feel to the illustrations

themes: counting. ingenuity. simplicity.

school use: Could use in a counting unit, as a read-aloud to introduce kids to thinking about the story BEHIND the story (the message between the lines).

review: I've been on the lookout for good ABC/counting books since a friend (who's a mother) mentioned how often those books contain stere
Jill
Jan 03, 2013 Jill rated it it was amazing
The illustrations in this picture book are beautiful and very interesting. It is entirely in black and white and so would be good for detail-oriented children who don't need bright colors to hold their attention. The story is about how ten birds cross a bridge (without flying, which is the obvious answer). Each bird is labeled in terms of their intelligence ("Brilliant" to "Needs Improvement"). It's a subtle book that shows that sometimes people (or birds) make things much harder than they need ...more
Alicia Scully
Young gives a new take on counting books with this story. Ten birds come to a bridge surrounded by what looks like a junkyard and they cannot seem to know how to cross it. One by one they find something in the yard and use it to find their way across. The illustrations are beautiful, done with pen and ink to give a classic feel. Though this book doesn't have a lot of bright color, the detailed pictures make up for it. While the story is cute, there is a lot of advanced vocabulary in this book ...more
Sherry Ellis
May 02, 2016 Sherry Ellis rated it it was amazing
Ten birds try to get across a river. It turns out that these bird brains are rather resourceful. One by one, using catapults, stilts, balloons, pulleys, and other assorted mechanical items, they get across. the last bird, called, "Needs Improvement," takes the simplest way, which will make readers chuckle.

Ten Birds is a cute counting book which will help kids learn to count backwards from ten. The detailed black and white pen and ink illustrations are whimsical and inventive, and while not color
Little Miss and the Legomeister
Aug 15, 2011 Little Miss and the Legomeister rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ten birds engineering riverside junk into creative ways to cross the river.

Um. What's wrong with this picture?

As the flap says, it's a "witty fable about ingenuity and common sense."

The drawings are unique, black and white, and very simple in that it's focused on the birds, and the river, and the items they're using, but what is included in each picture is drawn with intricate detail.

Little Miss really liked it. She says, "It's so funny cause they're so stupid." She especially liked the bird th
Jan 11, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
The illustrations were strikingly different - unlike anything I've seen before in a children's book. I loved the sepia tone and the way each device to get the other side left a numbered illustration totaling the number of birds left behind. The story was fairly simplistic, but the pictures made it much better. The ending was a little random, but it still had nice elements. I liked the etching feel of the pictures too. It was a good book and I'd probably recommend.

*Taken from My Sentiments Exactl
Heather
Oct 12, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
This is one of my new favorites. The pictures are gorgeous and very amusing, and the story line is quite clever. Children who can appreciate a little irony will be wondering why: a)none of the birds simply flew, b) one bird even created new wings rather than using its own, and c) the bridge was not even considered by 9 birds, some of whom used portions of it to power or propel their contraptions. And I absolutely and completely love both the name "Needs Improvement" and the look of pride on this ...more
Lisa Vegan
Jul 27, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone looking for an inventive counting (1-10) book; fans of beautiful drawings
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
Oh, this is hilarious. There’s a bridge right there and birds can fly, yet 9 of the 10 birds find ingenious (but unnecessary) ways to get to the other side. The 10th gets it more right. But, there’s another answer. And kids will have fun knowing something the birds don’t appear to know.

This works as a 1-10 counting book. It also works as a wonderful book for learning some new vocabulary words!

The drawings are just exquisite; they really make the book.
Sep 17, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, 2011, picture
I picked this one up because the black and white illustrations are amazing. The pictures invite close inspection and are quite wonderful. The birds figure out how to cross a river in creative and inventive ways, despite the fact that birds can fly, and leave behind a countdown from 10 to 0. While the pictures are great, the format and story aren’t quite strong enough to bring me to purchase it for an elementary school collection.
Mollie Smith
Apr 22, 2012 Mollie Smith rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book...I thought the illustrations were funny and partnered well with the text to tell the story. And it's much more than a counting book..I saw a lot of parallels between the birds and elementary kids in the public school system. But it's got a great message about labeling people, as tests and scores tend to do (excellent, needs improvement, etc.), and the inaccuracies that are a part of that labeling.
Reader
A counting book that left too many unanswered questions to appeal to the masses. 10 black birds use various materials and machines to get themselves over a river. Each one gets across until the 10th bird decides to use the bridge. An odd duck that will appeal to the technical-minded and those with a soft spot for non-sequiters. Yeah, not for the masses. But memorable. -T
Kate
Jul 28, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it
Amazing pen and ink illustrations. Kooky pretense to the story - each page details how one of the ten birds gets across the river using weird, steampunk contraptions - never addressing the fact that there is a bridge right there and that birds can fly, until the very end. At first I was annoyed, but by the end I was won over.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Sep 26, 2012 Miss Pippi the Librarian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A silly and imaginative book about ten birds crossing a river. This could easily be used as counting book, but for readers interested in engineering or inventions, this would be a excellent book to share.

Theme: bridges
Additional themes: building, counting, birds, black & white,

Reviewed from a library copy.
Kathleen Dixon
Aug 26, 2014 Kathleen Dixon rated it really liked it
What a visually attractive book! And funny too. I really enjoyed using this book with Zenobia, for her learning of numbers. And James (who already knows his numbers and can count to 100 and add and subtract and has quite a few of the basic math concepts down pat) was fascinated with the different methods and machinery that the various birds used to cross the river. Great stuff.
Kate Robinson
Aug 21, 2012 Kate Robinson rated it it was amazing
A quirky childrens book with beautiful images. Cybele Young makes us question the value of labelling children or ourselves and think carefully about the merits of creativity versus problem solving (without recommending either over the other.) A great read for adults and older children but still suitable for children ages 3-5. With an ending that will make you smile.
Robin
Mar 19, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it
10 birds are trying to get across a river. There are a variety of gears and gadgets that they may employ to do so. Much of the story is told in the amazing black and white illustrations. Not a counting book for young children, but one that older children will enjoy -- the birds devise stilts, a catapult, and a variety of contraptions.

Sue Smith
Oct 16, 2012 Sue Smith rated it it was amazing
Loved this book.

A simple counting book with clever illustrations drawn to perfection, and such a subtle wonderful secondary story line ( that it's OK to do it your way, as long as you get it done). Wonderful!!
May 25, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This book is so positive. It shows that no matter how you think, you can accomplish anything. There isn't just one way to get through life. There are many different paths. Plus the illustrations are stellar.
Katie Curry
Oct 31, 2011 Katie Curry rated it liked it
This book is a fable about ten birds trying to cross a river.
I would use this book to prompt students to think deeply about a text: underlying meanings. I would also use this book in a counting lesson.
Julie Heidingsfelder
Dec 11, 2011 Julie Heidingsfelder rated it really liked it
Shelves: 544
Genre: Counting Picture Book. What was so outstanding about this book were the pen and ink detailed illustrations. With intriguing images, and challenging vocabulary this will be a new favorite in my house.
Michelle Nero
Dec 08, 2011 Michelle Nero rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I read this wondering if I was missing something. Birds have wings, so fly. There's a bridge, so walk. But then, the last little bird, they called "Needs Improvement" explained it all to me. Labels don't mean a thing. I like that. Also, the illustrations are quite intricate.
Linda
Aug 08, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
Ten little resourceful birds find clever and creative ways to cross the river. The lovely pen and ink drawings remind me of woodcuts. This book is delightful and much more sophisticated than most counting books! It's more for older children and adults than for preschoolers. enjoy!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Brown Rabbit in the City
  • Ice
  • Frankie Works the Night Shift
  • Jonathan and the Big Blue Boat
  • Eggs, 1, 2, 3: Who Will The Babies Be?
  • Flight School
  • Blue Chameleon
  • If I Never Forever Endeavor
  • Hooray for Amanda & Her Alligator!
  • Mudkin
Cybèle Young is an award-winning paper sculpture artist as well as an author and illustrator of children's books.
More about Cybèle Young...