Start by marking “Geen tweede kans” as Want to Read:
Geen tweede kans

Geen tweede kans

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  21,451 Ratings  ·  1,190 Reviews
Marc Seidman ontwaakt in een ziekenhuis. Hij ligt op de intensive care, zijn hoofd zit in het verband. Twaalf dagen geleden was hij nog een succesvolle chirurg en woonde bij in een mooi huis met een lieve vrouw en hun pasgeboren dochter Tara. Maar nu ligt hij in een ziekenhuisbed, neergeschoten door een onbekende. Zijn vrouw is dood en Tara is verdwenen.
Pas na twee weken o
Published May 2007 by Boekerij (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Geen tweede kans, please sign up.

Lex Bijlsma
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Yulia
Jul 16, 2008 Yulia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: criminal-intent
I know some may think Harlan Coben beneath them, but let me explain why I find myself enjoying his books: First, I'm tired as heck of books where nothing happens but blushes hidden and a cough of disapproval. Second, I always had a fondness for books on killers (not to understand myself, but the opposite, I assure you). Third, I agree with most of Coben's values, like this snippet from No Second Chance:

"Edgar belongs to that unique class of the entitled who have deluded themselves into believin
Lucy
Jan 05, 2009 Lucy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings about Harlan Coben. The first novel I read of his was part of the Myron Bolitar series and I so seriously disliked Myron and his sarcastic ways that I dismissed Cobens' books completely.

Then, a long airplane ride forced me to reconsider and I found myself enjoying his Tell No One. Smart, complicated and a likable protagonist (a far cry from Myron).

No Second Chance falls between the two ends of the spectrum, but closer to the good end. As I've learned is his usual set-up, hi
Love Fool
Jul 14, 2015 Love Fool rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Marc Seidman has been shot twice, his wife has been murdered, and his six-month-old daughter has been kidnapped. When he gets the ransom note-he knows he has only one chance to get this right. But there is nowhere he can turn and no one he can trust.

Okay, so this book is a little "can't happen in real life" but Harlan Coben is such an incredible writer that you kinda forget it and just let yourself be sucked in.
Alex
NO SECOND CHANCE (Pub. 2003) by Harlan Coben kept me turning the pages right up until the end. The story kicks off with a bang and gave me no choice but to read on because I had to find out what would happen next.

Marc Seidman wakes up in the hospital, recovering from surgery to remove a bullet lodged in his chest during a home invasion. He quickly finds out that his wife was also shot and killed, and his infant daughter has been kidnapped. Seidman is desperate to find his daughter but his search
Siv30
Oct 15, 2016 Siv30 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
הניקוד המדוייק של הספר הזה נע אי שם בין 3 ל 4 כוכבים אבל מאחר ובאמת מדובר בעיניי בספר שיותר מתקרב ל 4 מאשר ל 3 נתתי לו את הציון 4.

בוקר אחד מארק זיידמן, מנתח שיחזורי ואישתו נורים. מוניקה נהרגת ומארק כמעט מת מהיריות אבל כשמארק מתעורר לאחר 12 ימים הוא מגלה שבתו התינוקת נעלמה.

ה FBI חוקרים וגם המשטרה וככל שהזמן עובר כך הם מגבשים תיאוריה על פיה מארק אשם. ואז מגיעה דרישת הכופר הראשונה. החוטף מודיע למארק שאם יערב את המשטרה או ה FBI לא תהיה הזדמנות שניה.

אבל, כמו בסיפורים גם אחרי שהמשטרה וה FBI מפשלים, מא
Mary JL
Jan 22, 2012 Mary JL rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of mysteries and thrillers
Shelves: mystery-horror
Dr. Marc Seidman wakes up in a hospital after 12 days. He had been shot and left for dead; his wife was killed and their six month old daughter,Tara, is missing.

When he gets a ransom note, he is desperate to save his daughter's life. Tara's grandfather, who is quite wealthy, puts up $2 million and Marc attempts the swap. It is not sucessufl and Marc feels he has lost it all.

Then , 18 months later, he DOES get a second chance--despite the title--and this time he decides not to involve the police.
Corey
Jun 06, 2013 Corey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another AWESOME page-turner from Coben! In the ending just when you think you've got it all figured out it heads in a direction you'll never see coming!

No Second Chance is about Dr. Marc Seldman who has just come out of a coma after getting shot twice, waking up in a hospital and finding out that his wife has been killed and his 6 month old daughter has mysteriously disappeared, but not long after Seldman receives a ransom demand from an unknown party, and saying if he tries anything stupid he'l
Angie
May 07, 2016 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, suspense
4.5 stars...

"...I had said it before: I would lay down my life in a second to protect my daughter. And truth be told, if push came to shove, I would lay down yours too..."

This is my first read of a Harlan Coben book. I admit I was impressed! A coworker suggested him to me when we were discussing our favorite books & authors last week. She had glowing praise for him, so I located a book quickly and got started. Within a very short amount of time, I was hooked and wanted to keep on reading.

As
Dana
Apr 01, 2012 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Marc Seidman has been shot, his wife murdered and his baby daughter kidnapped. When Marc is finally ready to go home from the hospital his wealthy, priggish father-in-law summons him to see the ransom note.

Seidman goes against instructions and involves the police and things go terribly wrong. Marc soon finds himself turned upside down in an attempt to try and find his daughter.

Just when you think you have it figured out the story hits another bump and twist and you start all over. A great se
LATOYA SAUNDERS
Harlan Coben does a great job of giving his characters interesting professions and portraying them well. There's enough detail to make you think he was a plastic surgeon in a past life.
This novel was funny but the support characters are a little unbelievable. At one time or another three of them lend the protagonist their cars, one of which had just met him.
Nevertheless it is the same page turning thriller that this best selling author is famous for.
WK
Jul 18, 2008 WK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a forever "Jersey Girl" even though I'm now located in MT. Even if HC's books weren't packed with wit and a sharp 'Jersey edge' I think I would still like them based on how familiar the locations are. This book is no exception, and although I enjoyed it very much, I must admit it should be nominated for some "most sub'plots ever' award.
Mandy Crider
Mar 07, 2016 Mandy Crider rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic page turner from Coben. This novel had such thrilling moments that I found myself totally and completely immersed in it and in complete Coben tradition, a 180 hits you at the end which I love. Great book! Coben is a must read author!!!!!!
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
It was very sad what became of the friendship between Marc & Lenny. As always Mr. Coben delivered an awesome read!
Samantha
Feb 15, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No Second Chance was everything that I expected it to be. It was fast paced, page turning action that constantly left me wondering what could possibly happen next. This is my third book by Coben and although it wasn't my favorite (that still remains as my first read Tell No One by Coben) it was a solid second.

In this book Dr. Marc Seidman wakes up from a coma to realize that he has lost everything. His infant daughter has disappeared and his wife is dead. The worst part of all is that all of Ma
Muddypuddles
May 12, 2014 Muddypuddles rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a fair few of Harlan Coben's books, and they certainly keep me turning the pages. The trouble is, they're a bit like McDonalds burgers: you really fancy one, but after you've finished it you feel unsatisfied and a bit empty. Doesn't stop you fancying another one though.

This book was a real HC by numbers, although thank God it didn't have that godawful Hester Crimstein in it. All the other usual plot lines were there though: the teenage love affair that cast a long shadow over all fut
Adam
Feb 23, 2009 Adam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Stephen Clynes
Oct 01, 2014 Stephen Clynes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This story is NOT hot off the press as Harlan wrote this novel in 2003. Does this 391 page crime thriller seem out of date, reading it 11 years after it was first published? NO! this book is a stonking good read and it DOES NOT show it's age. What you get is a first class read that fully entertains you from start to finish. No Second Chance is a FULL story will loads of detail and lots of tw
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Yeah, Coben's stories are a little formulaic and predictable, but I love them nonetheless. They are exciting and fast reads. I like the earlier ones better than the more recent, and No Second Chance is one of my favorites.

"He earned his money the old fashioned way: He inherited it. The more things were handed to you on a silver platter, the more you complain about welfare mothers and government handouts. He belongs to that unique class of the entitled who have deluded themselves into believing t
Barbra
Aug 16, 2009 Barbra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always like Coben's books. Good thriller and good plot.

Back Cover Blurb:
'When the first bullet hit my chest, I thought of my daughter'.....Marc Seidman wakes up in ICU to find his wife has been murdered and his baby daughter, Tara, has vanished. Then something arrives to give Marc new hope: a ransom note. 'We are watching. If you contact the authorities you will never see your daughter again. There will be no second chance'.
The note is chilling, but Marc sees only one thing: the chance to save
Carrie Straka
This book wasn't my favorite Coben book. I really enjoyed it at first, but then it just started to drag.

The thing that really bothered me about this one was that the main character Marc Seidman has the same name as a main character in Coben's first book, Play Dead. In a letter to readers at the beginning of Play Dead, Coben mentions that sometimes he borrowed details from Play Dead and used them in other books.

I didn't like that, because it seems like writers should not use the same name for c
Holly
Aug 06, 2013 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This book started off a little slow for me. Once it picked up though, it grabbed me and wouldn't let go. That's what I'm finding out about Mr. Coben's books, he takes you on a whirlwind ride and spins you around until you are dizzy with intense anticipation to find out what the heck is going on. He's becoming a fast favorite of mystery/suspense novels to read for me.
Heather Lyle
Feb 19, 2016 Heather Lyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was right!!! Had my suspicions about a certain character and turned out to be right.
Lindsay Nixon
It was inevitable - I was going to have to dislike or be disappointed by a Harlan Coben book and this was it. It didn't suck me in as they normally do, it picked up but then became too much of a mind scramble then got too sappy, sentimental and "lifetime movie" at the end. I don't think it helped that I recently read another book with a near identical storyline (guy who never gets over his college gf "we had a special connection" 🙄) least favorite HC book but at the same time if this was the wor ...more
Jane Long
Mar 18, 2017 Jane Long rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was hooked from the very first page. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Did not guess the ending.. Harlan Coben usually delivers a good thriller. Gets my vote.
Guilherme
Aug 10, 2014 Guilherme rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No Second Chance is a typical mystery by Harlan Coben. As some books that I read from him, this book involves a crime and it happened with a family. Although we can guess some scenes, his books are always very interesting. One example is the beginning of the book, which the character, Dr. Seidman, woke up on a bed of hospital with his wife murdered his daughter vanished. This event was definitely the first major event of the story.

His house was attacked, and he was bulled twice. Because of this
Lanie
Apr 04, 2014 Lanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book took me completely by surprise. I rated it high because of its superior story notes on so many levels. First of all, if you have children, this story will tug at your heartstrings. Marc Seidman wakes up in a hospital to find out that 12 days earlier, his wife was killed and his 6 month old daughter has disappeared. You don't have to work too hard to put yourself in his shoes. So I got into this one right away. I remember what my babies were like at 6 months, and I was panicked just thi ...more
David
Nov 22, 2010 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
In much the same way Alfred Hitchcock was a master at building up tension in his movies, Coben succeeds at creating an air of tension and desperation. At the same time, Coben manages to drop a number of "lines in the water" meaning that there are always multiple questions hanging in the reader (and hero's) minds. He carefully resolves each one slowly and surely, and he does it like a master fisherman, because he knows how to "set the hook" in his reader's minds and keep them wondering.

In "No Sec
Alice Gillen
Feb 17, 2017 Alice Gillen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping

Once I started I couldn't put it down, the story and characters were well developed. You won't be disappointed, I highly recommend it.
Barb
Mar 23, 2011 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When you dream about the mystery unraveling in the book you are reading, you can be pretty certain it is a great book. Yes, even in my sleep I was trying to solve the mystery presented in NO SECOND CHANCE. Dr. Marc Seidman is a plastic surgeon. He lives with his wife, Monica and his infant daughter, Tara. Marc is not the type of plastic surgeon you normally think of when you hear the term. Marc does facial reconstruction on children and adults who have been injured or who were born with facial d ...more
Erin
Mar 11, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-suspense
I love Harlan Coben--I really do. He has a similar style to Lee Child, but to me his characters are more personal, less "badass can take down any bad guy" and his stories are less complex and less detailed--in a good way. He keeps that pacing CRANKING. I mean, the book starts out with this line: "When the first bullet hit my chest, I thought of my daughter." That's a great opening! Coben keeps the tension high throughout the story, and actually resolved it in a really satisfying way. I objected ...more
Play Book Tag: No Second Chance by Harlan Coben - 4.5 stars 15 22 Mar 30, 2016 09:16AM
2015 Reading Chal...: No Second Chance by Harlan Corben 7 17 Feb 10, 2015 05:33AM
Le résumé en français 1 6 Jun 16, 2013 08:01AM
  • Too Close to Home
  • Killer Instinct
  • The Burying Place (Jonathan Stride, #5)
  • Parallel Lies
  • Mortal Fear
  • The Survivors Club
  • The Blue Zone
  • Live Bait (Monkeewrench, #2)
  • Demolition Angel
  • Privileged Information (Alan Gregory, #1)
  • Ties That Bind (Amanda Jaffe, #2)
  • Stolen in the Night
  • City of Bones (Harry Bosch, #8; Harry Bosch Universe, #10)
  • The Face of Death (Smoky Barrett, #2)
  • The Devil's Teardrop
  • The Conspiracy Club
With over 60 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Coben’s last seven consecutive novels, MISSING YOU, SIX YEARS, STAY CLOSE, LIVE WIRE, CAUGHT, LONG LOST and HOLD TIGHT all debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and lists around the world. His books are published in 43 languages around the globe.

Coben is the winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award – the first aut
More about Harlan Coben...

“Fame is more addictive than crack. Adults who lose fame--one-hit wonders, for example--usually tailspin into depression, though they try to act like they're above it. They don't want to admit the truth. Their whole life is a lie, a desperate scramble for another dose of that most potent of drugs. Fame” 5 likes
“I look at her, then at Tasha, and I feel the wondrous blend of bliss and fear. They--bliss and fear--are constant companions. Rarely does one venture out without the other.” 3 likes