Start by marking “The Treasure of Montségur” as Want to Read:
The Treasure of Montségur

The Treasure of Montségur

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  325 ratings  ·  42 reviews
One woman's unforgettable quest for freedom, love, and god.
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Treasure of Montségur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Treasure of Montségur

Kate Lawrence
The story of the Cathars was brought vividly to my attention when I read Labyrinth, by Kate Mosse, a few years ago. I wanted to see what another novelist might make of the story. Burnham follows the legend of the hidden treasure, supposedly secured in a remote cave at the direction of Cathar leaders on the night before they were forced to surrender Montsegur to the French in 1244. Specifically, this novel is the story of the woman entrusted with the dangerous mission of hiding the treasure--sack ...more
Kathryn Bashaar
I read this book while travelling in Languedoc, where it takes place. I really enjoyed it. I like how Jeanne is looking back on her life and admitting that she was jealous and headstrong in her youth. And I like how her spiritual life brings her contentment in old age, in spite of poverty and persecution. She is a wonderful, strong, vivid character. But, there is no escaping the Catholic church's persecution of heretics. This book is very sympathetic to the Cathar heretics, and casts them in a v ...more
♥ Marlene♥
On Monday, September 15, 2008 I wrote about this book:

I feel awful because you mailed this book all the way from Australia to me, but I did not like it at all.
Just visited amazon and there I noticed, yes it has some great reviews but most people don't agree with those reviews.
I was very disappointed cause I had expected so much more. The part where Jeanne grew up as a young girl and her first love was interesting, so i thought hey, this is going to be great, but then we went back to the future w
Stacy
This is a fascinating look at the extermination of the Cathars from the South of France in the Middle Ages. The Cathars were a group of Christians with beliefs quite different from the Catholics. As a result, a crusade was waged against them and they were all killed.

This novel is set during that time, with a protagonist who was raised by Cathars. The story is told with alternating view points and flashbacks, which together weave an interesting and heartfelt story.

This is historical fiction at i
I've always been fascinated with the history of the Cathars so when I saw this book for sale at the library, I had to buy it. It's a very easy read and beautifully written. It's also an illuminating look into the life of one of the Cathars from a personal perspective, which is refreshing compared to the historical, non-fiction texts I've read on this subject.
Overall, I liked the style of this book well enough that I would read more by this author. I think anyone who didn't know the history of th
K
I was "so-so" about the book, but our book club had a lot of fun talking about it. The main character wasn't very attractive and the more we talked about it, I began to think that this was a crafty and precise strategy on the part of the author, in order to tell the story. The tone was bitter and frightening which enabled the writer to focus on the horror of the inquisition (I don't want to capitalize it because it was such a horrific time in history). One of our book club members was moved by s ...more
Danielle
I enjoyed reading this book, but it seemed sparse, and the ending seemed very contrived. I would recommend to those who enjoy reading the "destined to be damned" type of historical fiction.
Jae
A beautifully written book, with a storyline told from the perspective of a female living at the time of the Cathars.
Ana
Overall it was a great book and a real page turner. I finished it on vacation in a couple of days. I would have given it 5 stars, except for two things that irked me, as noted by other reviewers. First, the visions of the "future-time." I felt that it was a ploy to pad the story and didn't contribute to the plot. Also, the ending was unsatisfying to me, not necessarily because of what happened, but how the author portrayed it. However, it wouldn't prevent me from recommending the book, as it is ...more
Rae
I had this on my "to read" list for about 10 years. Then I began reading Ina Caro's "Road from the Past" (see my currently reading list -yes I'm still reading it - it's one of those books you parcel out and savor) and she has a chapter that talks about the Cathars as she described Montsegur, Beziers and other medieval fortified cities in SW France. The Cathar's were a religious group that broke from the Church in the 13th C. They advocated among other things translating the Bible into the French ...more
Catsalive
At first I thought the unusual style of writing would put me off but once I got into the rythm I found it a real page-turner. Jeanne was a headstrong, foolish & jealous woman, full of human foibles & likeable because of it. Her story, & the story of the Cathars, is one of hardship, of faith, & also of happiness. I thought the ending quite lovely.

I won't go into the atrocities perpetrated by the Catholic Church throughout history, & all in the name of God & the one true fa
Noel
“Kill them all, God will know His own”

When questioned by a crusader on how to recognize true Catholics from Heretics during the battle at Bezier in 1209, this was the answer from a papal legate. Subsequently, 20,000 people were massacred.

The story of the Albigensian Crusade and the extermination of the Cathars by members of the Catholic Church by orders of the Pope in 13th C France is one that is not widely known. The Crusade was a win-win situation for both the Church and the nobility of Langu
Jeanine Erades
Mooie meeslepende historische roman over het leven van Jeanne de Béziers, een van de overlevenden van het drama van Montségur, waarbij 200 katharen levend werden verbrand. Mooie beschrijving/beleving van de kathaarse religie en de geestelijke ontwikkeling van Jeanne.
Sara Elise
this is maybe one of the best books i've ever read? the characters are fully human, the writing is extraordinary, the novel is really interestingly paced.
Ivani Torales
Muy buena novela para conocer más a fondo la historia y las creencias de los cátaros que habitaban en la antigua Occitania.
La novela se centra en la vida de la protagonista, Jeanne, fascinada por la vida mundana, pero aferrada a sus amigos creyentes y a su fe cátara. Esta constante lucha interna se ve reflejada en los acontecimientos externos, hasta que Jeanne tiene que hacer su elección final: renunciar a su fe para seguir viva o morir y alcanzar la Iluminación.
Punto positivo para los datos his
Knotarainni
Aug 05, 2008 Knotarainni rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Medieval history buffs
I picked up this book because it is the same time period in France as the book I just read, Virgin Blue. In my travels to France, I visited more cathedrals and churches than is possible to remember. This fictional account of historic events filled in some of the gaps in my understanding of the violence unleashed by the Catholic church in their holy war against the Cathars and other religions and sects. I couldn't put it down, but I don't think it's necessarily a mainstream read.
Winona
The Treasure of Montsegur deals with a very hard time to live in man's history. The author treats the Cathar religion as if it is true, does her best to give a satisfying ending to a very sad situation. The graphic, gratuitous sex left me wishing I'd never picked up the book. If author hadn't added it, I would have enjoyed the story and characters better.

Otherwise well researched and written.
Sarah Bressers
I hardly knew anything about the Cathars before reading this book, so the newly learned history was good. I did not like the heroin much, especially in her younger days, but she felt real enough. I was annoyed by the recurring telling of the visions a fool from her childhood had of 'the future times', which did not add anything to the story and felt like a cheap trick; but overall I liked the book.
Krista
13th century Fraice is a perilous place for Christians whose doctrine differes from that of the Roman Catholic Church, but poverty confers the protective mantle of invisibility. Once lady of her own manor, Jeanne is just another beggar, a hag dependent upon the charity of her betters. When her latest benefactor recognizes her for a Cathar, a heretic, Jeanne must flee for her life.
Christie Mathis
While it was a little confusing to get into in the beginning, I can not blame the book for this. I had a lot going on when I was reading this. I would suggest giving this book more of your attention than I was able to. It was a very interesting story and I loved reading it.
Cathy
I found this book extremely interesting as I had never read anything about the Cathars before. I am now intrigued and will go and follow up about this sect and what happened to them and if they are still in existence.

I would have liked to have got to know the characters a little more in depth, but apart from this, I found it a great read and would recommend it.
Mel
Well-written book. I just picked it up out of a pile of books my mom sent me, so I had no idea what it was about before I read it. Now quite my style or genre of book/plot. I thought it was quite boring and the topic was of no interest to me. Nonetheless, not a bad read by any means. Interesting to learn about the Cathars since I really knew nothing of them.
Linda Ross
The story is set in southeast France (Occitanie and Languedoc) in the 13th century. It's about religious persecution of a band of supposed heretics and was a fair rendering of the beliefs, heresies and superstitions - and the religious cruelty - of that time. It is based on a true historical occurrence and the best I can tell, well-researched.
Rachel
It is not my typical historical fiction but am glad that I found this and picked it up to read. It is a different insight to the religious warfare that was going on in the Middle Ages in France. It is perhaps more personable than I thought it would be. It is a quick read but definitely unforgettable.
Robin
Very interesting and story based on history. It's about a religious sect of people called Cathars who were Christian but didn't follow the way of the Catholics. In 1244 or so and they were burnt at teh stake for being heretics. One woman's journey to finding what the true treasure is.
Claudia Cristina
I expected a bit more historical detail about the Cathars but she didnt stray away from the more known passages . I didnt like the heroine at first but she sort of grows into you although some parts were superficial too and the end despite ofbeing expected was a bit surprising .
Danielle
Having a background on sects of Catholicism and early Christianity would probably enhanced my appreciation of this book. I was disappointed that it was more of a novel than historical fiction.
Linda
Having had the good fortune to visit Montsegur, I was eager to read this book. The author brings to life the terrible events that befell the Cathars at that site. Well worth reading.
Apryl
A good story. Interesting detail and good prose. At times I didn't want to put it down. I would recommend this to anyone who likes historical fiction based on real events.
Noelle
This book is haunting and amazing. I read it while in the region of France where the story takes place and visited Montsegur. The history of these people is fascinating to me.
  • Shields of Pride
  • The Burning Times
  • The Miracles of Prato: A Novel
  • The Winter Queen (Astraea, #1)
  • Our Lives Are the Rivers: A Novel
  • Montaillou: The Promised Land of Error
  • Mirabilis
  • Playing the Jack
  • The Captain's Wife
  • Hottentot Venus: A Novel
  • The Founding (The Morland Dynasty, #1)
  • The Good Men
  • The Book of Eleanor: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • The Canterbury Papers  (Alais Capet, #1)
  • The Passionate Brood
  • The Aviary Gate
  • To the Tower Born: A Novel of the Lost Princes
  • The King's Witch
A Book of Angels: Reflections on Angels Past and Present, and True Stories of How They Touch Our Lives The Art of Intuition: Cultivating Your Inner Wisdom For Writers Only Angel Letters The Ecstatic Journey: The Transforming Power of Mystical Experience