Start by marking “Kill Two Birds & Get Stoned” as Want to Read:
Kill Two Birds & Get Stoned

Kill Two Birds & Get Stoned

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  655 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Walter Snow is doomed. He stares at the blank pages in his typewriter, hoping for the spark that will finally ignite his ambition to write the Great Armenian Novel.

And then he meets Clyde Potts. She is beautiful, intelligent, charming, perhaps psychic, and, for better or worse, very possibly unbalanced. With Potts’s joie de vivre and her certified-insane partner in crime,
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published April 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Kill Two Birds & Get Stoned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kill Two Birds & Get Stoned

Carl
Mar 19, 2007 Carl rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who wear socks with sandals
This book was like watching a middle-aged white man perform a 50 Cent song at karaoke. He is so far out of his element that you can't even laugh, and instead you find yourself pondering the mortality of your own sense of cool.
Mel
Apr 04, 2008 Mel rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pranksters and nonconformists
It took a while to really get into this book. The first 100 pages were choppy and kinda boring. But once he got into the "operations" it was exciting and fun. I fucking hated the ending. Hated it! But Clyde and Fox were wonderful characters. I did not care for the main character, Walter Snow, because he turned out to be a boring-ass "no-hoper" who returns to normal life. Blah. Boo on normality and being a damned sheep.

Something else that really irritated me about Kinky Friedman is his repetitive
Michael
My two favorite passages from the book:

"No kid in the world ever grew up wanting to be a critic. There's probably never even been a statue erected to a critic. There's probably never even been a penis erected to a critic."

"The best people you'll ever meet will often come to you like stray dogs and cats, moving with graceful evanescence through your life, then leaving you forever with empty spaces that only you can fill."
Michael Smith
Where do I begin? Had I not interviewed the one and only Kinky Friedman about his MUSIC for the magazine I publish (kudzoomag.com) I may never have known about his career as a prolific writer. The proud Texan has authored a while pile of books, some non-fiction, mostly fictional, like the excellent Kill Two Birds and Get Stoned. The story follows a novelist living in a basement apartment in New York City as he fights to overcome a bad case of writers block. A chance meeting at his bank with a be ...more
Suzanne
This was a disappointment. Using someone other than Kinky as the narrator robbed it of his sly, sardonic, and ever-revealing take on modern life. Walter, the writer who narrates the book, is too innocent and naive to survive a week in New York. He's seduced from something resembling adult life into a series of wacky adventures with a couple of con artists. He falls into a Ken Keasy merry prankster kind of fantasy life that suddenly goes weirdly dark, but with no consequences. My Presbyterian sou ...more
Ashley  Vercher
An author suffering from writer's block by chance meets a beautiful gypsy who on their first meeting, tricks him into stashing a dead mackerel in his safe deposit box at the bank. Not long after the stench is discovered and he is booted from the bank, the beautiful gypsy again walks into his life, this time with a friend in tow... Together, the three of them form the wildest trinity and the pages, at this point, begin to fly by in a blur. The trio embark on some of the craziest, mind-boggling es ...more
A-bookworm
This was my 1st Kinky book, so I had no idea of what to expect, but I like what I know of Kinky the man, so I figured he'd be funny, and irreverent, both of which I like. However, I had no trouble putting this book down for long periods of time. Long enough to read other books. It's told in the first person by a guy who's a writer. Listening to a writer talk about writing, or not writing, just made me want to stick my head in a pencil sharpener. But, I did go back, repeatedly, and eventually fin ...more
Allison Floyd
I'm not sure what to rate this, since I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's pretty hard to put down, which is kind of mystifying, because it's pretty awful. I'm at chapter fifteen and unlikely to finish it, as my recreational reading time is about to vanish into the ether.

The book doesn't hurt for entertainment value: it's fun, funny in parts, and full of heart. There are points where it reads like a kinder, jauntier Bukowski. But, my God, the characters! There's not a one that isn't profoundly
Allison Floyd

Xaka
I began reading this book thinking it was a mystery, since it was in the mystery section of the library. It is not. It's just a novel, as it states in the title. (duh)

The storytelling is basic enough: introduce the characters, introduce the main character's problem, involve the characters in some mess, kill someone or three, solve the main character's problem, send the characters on their individual ways.

This is the first book I've read by Kinky Friedman (his name and the genre were the reasons
Emily Crow
Walter Snow has been suffering from years of writer's block when a mysterious woman named Clyde asks him to put a package in his post office box for her. He's completely infatuated, even when the package turns out to be a dead fish. Clyde and her friend Fox make a habit of such pranks, and Walter is happy to join the fun (although I suspect he mostly just wants to get into Clyde's pants.) They also inspire him to begin writing (and drinking) again.

The prose is smooth and eminently readable, and
Eric
Not your usual Kinky. A different type of story...not Kinky as detective nor a mystery. The story was bereft of most of the usual Kinkyisms, but it still had its share of tried and true witticisms that readers of Kinky have seen before.

All in all, a decent read. The story was a nice departure from his usual story lines which did allow for him to work in some new material.
Guillermo
What would've taken me a few days to read, I recently just finished the book - took me about a week, by the way. The book's amazing, it's difficult to put into words. Or that could be attributed to the fact that I have a head cold.

The book follows Walter Snow, a non-writing writer, as he befriends the two troublesome adventure seekers known as Clyde Potts and Fox Harris and their adventure throughout the streets of New York. The novel is littered with wit, wisdom and the human spirit. Much like
Shelby Wiederin
I'm torn. I couldn't put the book down until I finished it but some parts were so unessasary... but maybe that's the beauty of this book. amazing bits and pieces of words put together that somehow confused and exited me. what killed it a bit for me were the um... well naughty parts of the book. don't get me wrong I love a good, well written, has you praying for forgiveness sex scene. I get the feeling 'kinky' Friedman hasn't been actually been getting kinky since the seventies because MILD SPOIL ...more
Bethany
This was interesting. I couldn't decide for about the first 3/4 whether I liked it or not, but there were some really beautiful, introspective passages, and I think the ending is what sold it for me.
Mikie
While insanity may not be a great trait for a politician, it can be ideal for an author. I will be looking forward to reading more from Mr. Friedman.
Tricia
The first half of this book was definitely 4 stars - sort of weird main character with writer's block who was brought out of his shell and taken on crazy adventures by 2 strangers and then started writing a book about it. But then the second half got boring and stupid and was about attacking Starbucks over and over again for no actual reason. By the end I didn't care about any of the characters at all.
Morrigan
Addicting, a great read.

Walter Snow, Clyde Potts and Fox Harris are great characters. Kinky Friedman managed to create in Clyde one of the most enigmatic, strange and alluring characters I have read in a long time. This is a fast read and the plot is interesting, strange and just plain off the wall. These out of control characters are well presented by Friedman. Yet, Harris and Clyde will forever remain an enigma as we wonder whether what we know is truly real.

This was first Friedman book and it
Antisocialite
Is it bad that I can no longer tell (author, musician, and the last Texas gubernatorial candidate I voted for) Kinky Friedman's books apart?

I mean, that may be an unfair assessment, given that of the books of his that I've read, most were consumed within a few months of one another, and over a year ago. The clever titles with little to no bearing on the actual plot don't help much, either.

That being said, Kinky's books are a reliably entertaining read, and excellent source of one-liners that yo
Rich
This was a bit of a departure for Kinky as it was not written in first-person has Kinky Friedman but as Walter Snow -- a novelist in NYC. Despite that shift (and the lack of his traditional cast of characters), it was a classic Kinky novel. A short (as always) account of an episode in the life of the narrator that is at times funny and clever but with an edge of mystery throughout. This time, Kinky spent more time getting into the feel of being a novelist and the prose was more elaborate as a re ...more
Karin Jackson
This book changed my life. Seriously. I loathed this book. Boring and without a point, it's a mindless painful collection of words that takes you on a tortuous journey nowhere. I slogged through this book because I just kept waiting for something to happen, something to tie it all together. Something never came. So when I finished this book, I decided life is too short to waste precious time reading crappy books. This was the book that gave me permission to abandon the duds and move on.
Andrew
pretty good. very much like what would happen if pynchon (a la inhernet vice) and tom robbins got together and re-wrote fight club.: hopeless new yorkers taking down international super conglomerate corporations.

pretty funny. plenty of insights to the writing process. and a fair number of literary references, without which, it would be a psychotic rambling (which i guess it kind of is anyways).

worth the read, very quick and fairly entertaining.
Don
If you haven't read any of the Kinky Friedman novels, then you're in for a ride. This is probably one of his best books (Operation Diarrhea may be one of the funniest sections in a book I've ever read). I would have given it 5 stars except for the end - you can be the judge.

Usually Friedman books are very irreverent and funny. However, this one is a bit more poignant (but still funny).
Ali
Haven't read any Kinky Friedman in ages but did enjoy it - liked the concept - always feel you fall straight into the writing, there was a slight wavering of interest towards the middle of the book but over all a nice little read indeed. It does pose the question of how our behaviour is influenced by those around us and the people we admire or would rather be more like.
PM
the best thing about this book is fox harris - think of him as a stoned version of the dalai lama. i enjoyed this book even though i don't approve of the many crimes the characters committed within. for my full review of the book, visit this link: http://prinsesamusang.wordpress.com/2...
Karin
Finally something to chuckle about even though you know all along the bird gets stoned in the end.Did Fox plan that?Discuss amongst yourselves.....
Katherine
Kinky is Kinky - hysterical and irreverent. This is the first Kinky Friedman book I read. I saw it on the shelf in the bookstore and laughed out loud at the title. If you like to laugh, and you like mysteries, you will like Kinky. After reading this one, I went on to read all of his mysteries. They are all great fun and tight little mysteries too.
Christina Gonzales
This book was hilarious. I found this book at an airport and had no idea Kinky Friedman was a writer. I was able to finish the book during the 3hr layover.

Basically its just a story about a writer who meets two misfits. They go on to play a bunch of pranks or cons and get drunk and stoned.

Overall it was a good airport read.
Jim
I wonder what saying that I liked this short tale says about me, but I did. It reminded me of a young lady I once knew, a wild thing who was in full-out rebellion against her banker father, who was delightfully fun to hang out with and could easily have dragged me willingly into similar adventures.
Kelsey
Kinky has a really particular style of writing, and I'm a fan. Others aren't and shouldn't start this book unless they are.
Strange story, drugs, sex, and alcohol in liberal amounts. I thought the secondary characters were complex and fun to see, although they remain fairly undeveloped.
  • Fender Benders
  • Web of Deceit (Detective Ella Marconi #6)
  • WLT: A Radio Romance
  • Gunman's Rhapsody
  • Meet Me At The Morgue
  • Mr. Boston Official Bartender's & Party Guide
  • To Forgive Design: Understanding Failure
  • The Adventures of Sam Spade and Other Stories
  • In the Evil Day
  • A Few Right Thinking Men (Rowland Sinclair #01)
  • Fiction and the Figures of Life
  • Concrete, Volume 1: Depths
Richard S. "Kinky" Friedman is an American singer, songwriter, novelist, humorist, politician and former columnist for Texas Monthly who styles himself in the mold of popular American satirists Will Rogers and Mark Twain. He was one of two independent candidates in the 2006 election for the office of Governor of Texas. Receiving 12.6% of the vote, Friedman placed fourth in the six-person race.

Frie
More about Kinky Friedman...
Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola (Kinky Friedman, #6) Roadkill (Kinky Friedman, #10) Greenwich Killing Time (Kinky Friedman, #1) Armadillos and Old Lace (Kinky Friedman, #7) The Love Song of J. Edgar Hoover (Kinky Friedman, #9)

“But the most dangerous thing in the world in the world is to run the risk of waking up one morning and realizing suddenly that all this time you've been living without really and truly living and by then it's too late. When you wake up to that kind of realization, it's too late for wishes and regrets. It's even too late to dream.” 13 likes
“see the people on the sidewalk?...aren't you glad you're not one of them?

they're all so self-importantly going nowhere...they just have no idea of who they are or where they really belong. nothing will ever be enough for them. nothing will truly make them happy. they all think they've got to get someplace, got to meet someone, got to get to work, got to get home, got to keep that appointment. if they had a hundred million bucks, it wouldn't be enough for them. if they had four cars, they'd need more. if they had four homes, they'd need more. they are organically out of touch with their land and their tribe.”
5 likes