Witch World: Web of the Witch World

Witch World: Web of the Witch World (Witch World Series 1: The Estcarp Cycle #2)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,279 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Andre Norton enthralled readers for decades with thrilling tales of people challenged to the limits of their endurance in epic battles of good against evil. None are more memorable than her Witch World novels. The Kolder linger on, a constant threat to Simon and the witches he's sworn to protect. To save their world from this threat from another dimension, Simon and Jaelit...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published March 31st 2010 by Findaway World (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Witch World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witch World

DaveA
A quite good book. As was Witch world (first of this series), not quite as enigmatic nor dark as some of Norton's other books, but still quite good. There were several places in this story where events weren't explained very well, and I wasn't quite sure what was happening. Also, as in the first book, the ending was a bit anti-climatic. The story built up to a big battle, but there wasn't much to the ending battle. Sitll, very enjoyable, though.

The different series in the Witch World books was r...more
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Web of the Witch World continues the story of Simon Tregarth, the modern man who escaped assassination by coming through a gate into the Witch World, and Jaelithe, a witch of Estcarp, as they fight the strange enemy who are invading their land. At the end of the previous novel, the Kolder, who are from a technologically advanced planet, had been defeated by the witchery of Jaelithe and her sisters (and it seems that Simon has some powers, too). Jaelithe ga...more
Bunnyjadwiga
This story of Simon Tregarthe and Jaelithe confronting the final battle with Kolder is more original plotting of the Witch World novels. I think Andre wrote a lot of background books about the Witch World which had similar quest features, but this isn't one of them.
Valerie
I finished this book with an odd sense of incompleteness. For example, the motives of Aldis of Kars are almost completely undeveloped. Norton was experimenting with multiple viewpoints in this book, but Aldis is represented internally only once, and thereafter her actions are only viewed by others.

It might've been interesting to see what she thought of things. As the only female Kolder agent (apparently), why did she abandon the plans she sold out to the Kolder to further? Why, then, did she tu...more
Mark Nixon
The adventures of Jaelithe and Simon continue in this classic, huge epic fantasy series. Wonderful read.
Rusty
I've rediscovered Andre Norton thanks to a book club member who included this one in an order. The hero finds himself embroiled in an alien world war to which he has traveled. In this new environment he has won a throne and a witch-wife but finds it threated by highly scientific alien invaders from a place called the Kolder. The story provides an enjoyable read as Simon Tregarth and his witch-wife, Jaelithe, strive to save the world to which he has been transplanted. The reader hears the story f...more
Hokomoko
A fine sequel to The Witch World (#1), though it doesn't have the remarkable pacing, extraordinary reversals and vast scope of the first book. Norton ties up lots of loose ends and spends too much time adding new muscles to the Hero. The antagonists remain quite terrible in this book, though somehow despite their pervasiveness and ever trumped power, the tension fails to hold. Norton seems to have violated the key to maintaining horror: an asymmetry of power and knowledge between the villains an...more
Richard
As one might expect, this volume doesn't work as well as "Witch World". However, it is an enjoyable read and furthers the adventures of the characters we have already met in Norton's interesting universe.
For those interested, the entire series in reading order is:

Witch World
Web of,the Witch World
Year of the Unicorn
Three Against the Witch World
Warlock of the Witch World
Sorceress of the Witch World

Later on Norton added Spell of the Witch World--a collection of stories set in that universe.
Ero
Strangely sloppy and unsatisfying, and reads as if it were written under extreme deadline pressure; situations spin by without clarification, characters come and go for no reason, and parts of the prose are almost impossible to read with a straight face. However, Andre Norton's baseline brilliance of invention is hard to beat.
Salimbol
A reasonably enjoyable book. There's some clunky grammar in here, and most of the characterisations are pretty thin, but it's not looking too shabby for a book that's nearly 50 years old! At any rate, it's been 20 years since I last read a Witch world book, so this served as a good reintroduction to that universe.
Dean Sault
I read this book simply because it was written by one of my favorite authors. It turned out to be too much mysticism for me and not enough "science fiction" for which Norton is known. Hence, I am not a suitable reader to judge this work. No star rating...it would not be fair.
Kat
Old school fantasy/sci-fi. Wrote my thesis about this book and other Andre Norton's. No feminist protagonist, but strong female characters and even stronger feminist implications.
Doris
I have never liked this as much as the other books about the Witch World, and after reading others' comments, I realized it is because it feels incomplete and out of place.
Paulina
Definitely worse than the first one, felt like Andre Norton was under pressure (from readers or the publisher) to continue what was already a finished story.
Eric
FNA, this book is absolutely enthralling. A new dimension of depth is added that absolutely draws me into the story, I loved it!
Charles
A good follow up to Witch World. I have it in Hard back from the SF book club. The volume includes the first three books.
Victoria
Of course I read this without having read the first book, so while it was puzzling I enjoyed it way back when I was still a kid.
Keith
An interesting second adventure of the "Estcrp Cycle," by Andre Norton.
I finished this likable story in the 1960's.
Joene
One of the Witch World series, it continues the stories about this entertaining and exciting world.
Mary
Just as good as I remembered from the first time I read it in 1985.
Aaron
Slow plotting, but overall an excellent read
again, engaging and action packed!
Jack
Jack added it
Sep 15, 2014
A.
A. added it
Sep 13, 2014
Karen Swopes
Karen Swopes marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
  • Геном (Геном #2)
  • Hiero's Journey (Hiero, #1)
  • The Dancer From Atlantis
  • A Life for the Stars (Cities in Flight, #2)
  • The Galaxy Primes
  • Pilgrimage to Earth
  • Black Trillium (The Saga of the Trillium, #1)
  • The Visitors
  • The Dragon Knight (Dragon Knight #2)
  • Ars Magica
  • Rimrunners (Company Wars, #3)
  • Hasan
  • The Marching Morons
  • The Other Side Of The Sky
  • Swords Against Wizardry (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #4)
  • Greyfax Grimwald (Circle of Light, #1)
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male"...more
More about Andre Norton...
The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3) Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1) The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)