Start by marking “Husk” as Want to Read:
Husk

Husk

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Everyone Loves Husk!

“Matt Hults delivers a crackling, creepy tale. A fast-paced read with a generous body count, ‘Husk’ will make your skin crawl.” —Scott Nicholson, Bestselling author of They Hunger

“Remember the first time you read Joe Lansdale’s The Drive-In, or Freezer Burn? Remember how exhilarated you felt as you tore through the pages as Lansdale kept knocking your
Published January 14th 2011 by Books of the Dead Press

To ask other readers questions about Husk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Husk

Charlene
I read this as part of our Horror Readers group at Shelfari.
I previously read a short story collection by the same author which I enjoyed very much.

This is the story of a dead serial killer who is somehow killing again. What makes this story different and interesting is the abilities of this killer.
The book begins with the death of the above mentioned serial-murderer. Then it fast forwards a few years where we find out that the killer actually didn't really die until just a few weeks prior. From
Robert Beveridge
Matt Hults, Husk (Books of the Dead, 2011)

“A sharp pain manifested within her wound...”

Given how much I adored Forrest Armstrong's The Deadheart Shelters last year (it made my 25 Best Reads of the year list), I figured I'd start checking those same avenues for more buzz books. Didn't take long for another to crop up: Husk, the first novel from Matt Hults. And to an extent, the buzz is warranted; Hults has turned in a solid supernatural-slasher thriller that doesn't do all that much to break the
William
How So many people can give this such a high rating is beyond me. We have a monster that has unlimited powers but can't seen to take out a couple of teenagers and a crippled old man. We have people just carrying on their normal lives after such a harrowing event and deaths of so many people. The author uses equipment he clearly doesn't understand, I.e. You can't pump a semi-automatic shotgun! The story might have been good but their were too many WTF inconsistencies.
Mike
Husk reminds me of a time in my life before bills, before work, before any substantive responsibility in my life (though it certainly didn't feel like it at the time). A time when I was in middle and high school and I could go rent five VHS B-horror movies for 5 bucks, sit down with a root beer, and enjoy a horror movie that was perhaps not high art, but they were entertaining.

What does this have to do with Husk? It's a throwback to those movies (in book form). To Pumpkinhead, and Night of the
Amy
If this book had managed to retain its horror-inducing creepiness past the halfway mark, I would have had to rate it higher. The first half of the book was well paced and thoroughly creepy (as in, don't read it alone, at night, kind of creepy). But it lost that creepiness about halfway through in favor of spatter-movie blood & guts. The premise was unique, I liked the characters, the writing was good (with the exception of obvious copy-editing issues throughout the second half) and the horro ...more
Tony Maddox
Not sure this author has ever met/listened to a teenager before... The dialogue is terrible, and the story contains just about every cliche you could imagine. 2011--a teenager with spiked hair and a gold earring? Really?

Also, what is it with authors describing every single little mundane detail in every scene? We don't need to know the exact contents of an attic. Nobody cares what a character eats if it doesn't contribute to the plot.

It's okay to use "said" instead of replied, continued, respond
Kelly
The first half of this book is intense! Frightfully intense. Heart pounding, nail-biting intensity. HOWEVER.... As you get into the second half, it's like a bad scene from Bedknobs & Broomsticks. You almost expect to see Angela Lansbury behind the scenes chanting her spell to bring inanimate objects to life. The part where Tim's jacket strangles one guy.... Really? It all went downhill for me with Tim's jacket. I mostly skimmed the rest, mainly to get a conclusion. Very disappointing to expe ...more
April Flatto
Not too shabby.

I really liked this book for its gory depictions and the story was pretty good too. Whoever his editor is though, needs to be fired. Lots of typos and weird wording. Things like "he jump to the ground" rather than "he jumped to the ground." Just little things like that irritated me. But besides that I really liked it!
Robert
I couldn't have enjoyed this book more. It's one of those books that leaves so many indelible images carved into my brain that I know they'll be clawing their way into my artwork. This book would make a fantastic movie. Unfortunately, it would take Bill Gates and a second and third mortgage to pay for it. So many great scenes that couldn't be done outside of a computer. So many wonderful things that would get banned or cut out of the film. So many ways Hollywood would ruin it.

Matt Hults' has wri
Dani
Jan 29, 2014 Dani added it
Nice!!!

This guy has a talented brain. I hated when the book ended. I think the book would have been just fine without the use of the 'DVD' but all in all I liked this book a lot.
Christa
I have to give Matt Hults credit - I usually don't have a problem eating while reading horror novels, but I found that salsa was a poor choice while reading this one. Grossing me out with written words is not an easy feat, but it happened repeatedly, and being the twisted girl that I am, I enjoyed every minute of it.

There were a few issues that should have been caught in the editing process, and occasionally the prose would meander in a manner that left me confused for a minute, but I really enj
Kim

This book started out as terrifying. I don't know if I was just out of practice with the genre or what, but the first few chapters were awesome. And it continued with some promise. But then... The ending began. And I couldn't finish the book, because the end was just so silly. So...I gave it a shot, but I just couldn't fall in love with this book like others have. And the shoddy copy editing was almost impossible to ignore as well. It was almost as if the editor decided to care less toward the
Procrastinador Diletante
Este livro é ideal para todos os fãs de slasher movies. Mas filmes de terror dos clássicos, com um vilão ao nível do Freddy Kruger ou do Jason do "Sexta-Feira 13". O livro tem todos os ingredientes que se espera encontrar numa obra do género - vítimas adolescentes, detectives que não acreditam no sobrenatural; assassinos imparáveis e mortes cheias de sangue. Sinceramente, este e o Snow voltaram a fazer com que acreditasse que ainda há esperança para os livros de terror ;)
Norman Parker
I read this on my Kindle. What is it about book-editing and Kindles? Just about every chapter needed work. Did I get a pre-release copy? Something straight out of the author's word processor?

Aside from the editing, this was a fun read. I was not overwhelmed or captured like when I read King's "The Shining", but the light-hearted escape was welcome. I would recommend this new author to someone else seeking horror.

Michael Pearce
It's hard to believe that Husk is Matt Hults first novel. Tightly plotted, well written and genuinely horrific, this novel will grab you from the first paragraph and won't let you go until the final page. The characters are believable and human (the humans at least) and you will genuinely care what happens to them. Husk is the best horror novel I have read in a long time- I can't recommend it enough.
Rebecca Treadway
I enjoyed this book, aside from a way too long pimping of the author's skills - the creep factor is fantastic. Towards the end it started to get way over the top lol...in a spatter-gore Horror kind of way. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who is squeamish but over all it's an entertaining read.
This was a great book. It kept my heart racing in anticipation of what would happen next. A book hasn't creeped me out like that in a long time. If you are looking for a gorey tale with lots of suspense, check this out. Looking forward to reading more by Matt Hults.
Dimka
This book was scary so reading it at night wasn't something I was going to do. There's lots of action & gore to keep a person entertained with all the lights on. Since the setting is 'real world', it adds to the suspense, making it a great read.
Colleen Ray
I loved this book! It's well written and entertaining, with lots of action and genre-appropriate gore. It grabbed me at the very beginning, and never let go. I'll definitely be watching for future work from this author.
Carly
Kind of a ridiculous book so far. Way over the top with violence that goes beyond the suspension of belief expected when reading other supernatural books. I give it a "bleh" but am determined to finish it anyway.
Shawn Manning
Thought this was a fair to middling book. I feel bad that I can't really say why I didn't like it more. It did have some pretty neat scenes here and there.
Craig Nuel
His first novel... Very good... Suspenseful at times -- and definitely a cool plot... I recommend... Looking forward to further books by him...
Christine
I found 'Husk' to be a very interesting read. It was a book that I didn't want to put down. I loved the story and the characters.
Tanya
It read like Buffy the Vampire Slayer for adults IMO. Really over the top in places but overall a fun read.
Rhonda
good concept - way too long! it was hard to keep up with all the characters in the beginning...
Melissa Mattar
Good story...end was a little ridiculous..
Jenny
Jul 08, 2012 Jenny is currently reading it
pretty creepy with a good story line.
Anna Motteler
Anna Motteler marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
  • Zombies: The Recent Dead
  • Best New Zombie Tales Vol. 1
  • The Dishonored Dead: A Zombie Novel
  • The Rage Plague
  • The Red Church (Sheriff Frank Littlefield, #1)
  • The Novellas
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • Torment
  • Undead
  • Worm
  • Dead Inside: Do Not Enter: Notes from the Zombie Apocalypse
  • Draculas
  • Incident On and Off a Mountain Road
A native Floridian, Belea Keeney's short stories have been published by WordKnot, Boundoff, Florida Horror: Dark Tales from the Sunshine State, The Beast Within, and other venues."
More about Matt Hults...
Anything Can Be Dangerous Best New Vampire Tales (Vol.1) The Beast Within Darkest Hour The Immaculate Conception