Start by marking “Titans of Chaos” as Want to Read:
Titans of Chaos

Titans of Chaos (Chronicles of Chaos #3)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  1,052 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Titans of Chaos completes John Wright's The Chronicles of Chaos. Launched in Orphans of Chaos--a Nebula Award Nominee for best novel in 2006, and a Locus Year's Best Novel pick for 2005--and continued in Fugitives of Chaos, the trilogy is about five orphans raised in a strict British boarding school who discovered that they are not human.
The students have been kidnapped,
Published April 17th 2007 by Tor Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Titans of Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Titans of Chaos

Zachary
Apr 19, 2008 Zachary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The cover of this book touts it as "The Fantastic Climax of The Chronicles of Chaos." Most series, in their final book, spend a decent portion on the final build to the climax, which can sometimes be a letdown for the amount of build-up afforded it. Not so here. The climatic battle to which the children have been "destined" the entire trilogy takes up a good portion of this final book. And set aside all your preconceptions of where he could have gone and what he could have done, Wright takes thi ...more
Roger
Oh, my, God. Although I didn't pick up all of the Orphans of Chaos books at one time to read straight through, I wish I had. John C. Wright writes several paradigms of reality and their associations with one another at the same time FLAWLESSLY. I don't want to give any particulars away because I really want readers to try these books. Although you do not have to be a genius to figure out all of what he is talking about, trying to keep up with it all was challenging in a fun way. I almost had to ...more
Reed
Apr 25, 2008 Reed rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I thought this series had such promise, but I have to admit I was fairly underwhelmed by Titans of Chaos. The "kids" discovered and got a handle on their powers in the previous volumes. The excitement and novelty of their powers (for me) had worn thin by the final book. The action was somewhat of a jumbled mess--often I wasn't quite sure who was fighting whom, what powers nullified others, why there seemed to be wave after wave of opponents attacking the kids. I came very close to putting t ...more
Bruce
Jun 17, 2009 Bruce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Overall a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy, which I mentioned previously as really being just one big book.

Probably would have worked better as 2 volumes-- the inevitable growth and victory of the protagonists moves along a bit too incrementally. Or there could have been more variety in their adventures, somehow, in order to merit the length.

or perhaps I just read through these two quickly... still, a satisfying and enjoyable way to spend the time if not the most ultimately awesome book ever
Amy
Aug 23, 2009 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I feel I must justify the falling stars for this series. The wonderful and fascinating ideas about the paradigms of the main characters rocked, all the way through, and never got boring. But there just wasn't much variation in the level of tension through the 2nd book and especially through the last. Not that they were boring... the kids were on their runaway quest from the end of the first book, and it never let up. There was never a good place to put the book down, and it just wasn't sustainab ...more
Brewergnome
Not a big fan of some quasi gender essentialism stuff in here, but a solid series.
Aelvana
Oct 30, 2014 Aelvana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amelia, Victor, Vanity, Quentin, and Colin, five teenagers who each come from different paradigms of Chaos, can no longer run from the gods who raised them as captives. Now their battle for freedom begins in earnest... until they find the enemy not quite what they had thought. Released as bait to tease out Lamia, the teens get a chance to explore the extent of their powers. But they want more than the taste of freedom. They just have to figure out how to get free and stay free without renewing t ...more
Mike
Mar 25, 2010 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed

I don't know what to say about this book. I've been saving it for a long while now, and I just don't know what to say.

I can start off by saying that the author does know how to make things interesting and how to spin an exciting and thrilling adventure. However, one of the problems you have when you talk about space-time in more than three dimensions is that you can be very confusing. I've studied mathematics in multiple dimensions and systems of equations in 4, 5 and 6 dimensions, but the discu

Alicia Mitsch
Apr 11, 2008 Alicia Mitsch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Susan Cooper and Madeline L'Engle fans
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
This is a fantastic series. It's the perfect meld between Susan Cooper's Dark Is Rising series and Madeline L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time series. I'm not a sci-fi fan, but the use of mathematics, philosophy, and science was outstanding. As you wonder about the true nature of reality, paradigms begin to emerge; some fit, some don't. However, each paradigm is equally worthy in describing the experienced phenomena. Is reality made of atomic particles which are eually useful and interchangeable? Or is r ...more
Joseph R.
Dec 27, 2011 Joseph R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
Titans of Chaos is the slam-bang finale to John C. Wright's Chronicles of Chaos. Having finally escaped from their English boarding school (which is really their prison), the five orphans from alternate Chaotic dimensions are on the run. After a harrowing attack on the cruiseship QEII, they race across the planet Earth and cross over to other planets in an attempt to find a spot where they can safely and peacefully live out their lives. But will the Greek gods let them?

The story is action-packed
Resmiranda
Talk about a let-down to a series. While I enjoyed the first two books, the last fell apart. The first half of the book was generally pointless dicking around, while the entire last half of the book was the climactic action sequence that redefined "overblown" while at the same time being an emotional punt, since by this point I didn't care very much about the characters at all. Their relationships, interesting in the first book, never truly developed, and it was fairly obvious by the last book t ...more
Clarice
Dec 03, 2008 Clarice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: at-the-library
Quanjun
Keith Davis
Nov 29, 2009 Keith Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Titans of Chaos is basically one long fight scene between the five orphans and the rebellious god who sought to control them. I was kind of amazed by how Wright was able the maintain the pace of the battle through a book length story and give each character a chance to shine and show-off. Whatever you may think of Wright's politics, you have to appreciate his skill with pacing and narrative structure.
Pan
Feb 21, 2015 Pan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to get through this last book. There was a lot of mathematical physics jargon to swallow in this last book, but all in all it was a very enjoyable trilogy. The author has a wide grasp of mythology and making multiple paradigms work together in the same plot. The characters were well written and likable. If John c. Wright decided I'm going to write another book for the Chaos Chronicles I would buy it.
Shanshad Whelan
Started this trilogy, figured I should finish it. Parts of it are fairly good world building, but the whole of it tends to be hard to keep track of unless you have a fairly sophisticated flow chart for the names and paradigms and powers that populate the books. It was decent, though I found the sexuality themes less than appealing. A quick read with lots of action, perhaps a little more "chaotic" than I like but what the heck, that was the one of the themes of the book.
Mary Catelli
In which the children act upon what they learned in Orphans of Chaos and Fugitives of Chaos. Which I will not reveal for the spoilers involved. 0:)
Lillian Butler
Clunky ending to an otherwise interesting series. The author kept trying to build to a climax or a real resolution but he'd written himself into multiple corners by the second book and never made any attempt at getting out. Could have done without the very clunky and dated "sexual awakening" plotline. Another case of a very cool idea mishandled, IMHO.
Allan Jacques
Actually this review goes for the whole series...
Great idea!
Execution? Well, good execution, sort of....
The series start assuming you would have some prior knoledge about deities and physics, making lots of assumptions and connecting dots all over the place.
Nonetheless, great books for fantasy and quantum physics enthusiasts!
Parthena
Jul 10, 2008 Parthena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who like innovative plotlines that don't delve into cliches
A good wrap-up for this series, with some really interesting scenes. For some reason I felt like something in the ending could have been a bit more satisfying, even though I can't put my finger on what was missing. Really interesting characters, though, and one of the most unique plotlines and settings that I've read in a very long time.
Chris
Jan 02, 2011 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Not quite as enjoyable as the first two books in the series, but still quite good, with intriguing concepts of super-powers/magic/gods based on perception and manipulation of differing aspects of the universe and other dimensions. For that aspect alone it's worth reading, but it's a really good story too.
Natasha Hurley-Walker
Meh. Characters still shallow, mythology over the heads of most kids, story too silly to appeal to adults(view spoiler), and still too much disturbing predatory male/ helpless female sexual undertones. I love the 4D protagonist, but the characterization is strictly 1D.

TLDR: Skip this series, read the Golden Age instead.
Paige
Jul 06, 2009 Paige rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It would have worked better as 2 volumes, if I hadn't had all 3 at my disposal I might have been annoyed, but the first book was the best. I caught myself skimming thru scientific gobbelty gook. I would have liked it more if I were younger tho I probably would have skimmed over more too.

Interesting but Meh
B. Zedan
Jun 17, 2008 B. Zedan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone, really.
Shelves: real-book
So, I sucked this trilogy down like a crazy person and dang was it great. Lots more battling in this book, as the characters come into themselves, which I love.

A surprising bonus: up until the very last two pages of the third book, it is reasonably unclear which of the two romantic interests the main character will choose. It was a nice change from the norm.
Richard
More than 150 pages to describe a single running battle. Even though the book is virtually non-stop action, it became boring. The author tied up all loose ends at the end, but there are too many villains and they have multiple names, making it difficult to keep track. The sex seems to me to be gratuitous. I would not particularly recommend this author.
Roberto
It kinda fizzles. The author tries to top everything by just piling things higher, larger aries, more powerful greek gods, it ends feeling like Dragonball Z, including the constant "dying".

Anyway, it was a fun series.
Sep 02, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final installment in the trilogy makes a decently satisfying wrap-up. Wright relies a little too much on extended explanatory dialogue between characters to help his readers make sense of the story, but the intertwined fantasy and science-fiction elements continued to be interesting.
The Tick
Mar 22, 2009 The Tick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was an honest three-star book in my opinion, not something that would have been given five stars if I hadn't had to knock points off. Chapters upon chapters of complex action scenes got very old very quickly.
Holly
Apr 28, 2014 Holly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the other books in this series, this one however was to technical in many places. I lost interest several times. Had to fight to finish it.
Jeffrey
Jul 09, 2008 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
The continuation of Fugitives of Chaos which covers the coming of age of the orphans
and their final battle with Hermes and his minions.
Victor vs. Colin (contains spoiler) 3 11 May 31, 2013 08:47PM
  • Prospero in Hell (Prospero's Daughter, #2)
  • Wild Magic (Drinker of Souls: Wild Magic, #1)
  • Hawkspar (Korre, #2)
  • Ghost Ocean
  • Camera Obscura (The Bookman Histories, #2)
  • The Whitby Witches (The Whitby Witches, #1)
  • Everfree (Idlewild, #3)
  • Year's Best SF 15
  • The White Tyger (Princess of Roumania, #3)
  • Whiskey and Water (Promethean Age, #2)
  • Sacred Stories: Wisdom from World Religions
  • Next of Kin
  • Blood & Spirits (The Coming Storm, #1)
  • Dawn: Lucifer's Halo (Dawn, #1)
  • Who Slashed Celanire's Throat?
  • Beatrix Potter The Complete Tales (Peter Rabbit): 22 other books, over 650 Illustrations, and the Audiobook of the Great Big Treasury of Beatrix Potter
  • Harm
  • Timeshares
John C. Wright (John Charles Justin Wright, born 1961) is an American author of science fiction and fantasy novels. A Nebula award finalist (for the fantasy novel Orphans of Chaos), he was called "this fledgling century's most important new SF talent" by Publishers Weekly (after publication of his debut novel, The Golden Age).
More about John C. Wright...

Chronicles of Chaos (3 books)
  • Orphans of Chaos (Chronicles of Chaos, #1)
  • Fugitives of Chaos (Chronicles of Chaos, #2)