Start by marking “Murder at the Margin” as Want to Read:
Murder at the Margin

Murder at the Margin (Henry Spearman #1)

3.16 of 5 stars 3.16  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Cinnamon Bay Plantation was the ideal Caribbean island getaway--or so it seemed. But for distinguished Harvard economist Henry Spearman it offered diversion of a decidedly different sort and one he'd hardly anticipated: murder.

While the island police force is mired in an investigation that leads everywhere and nowhere, the diminutive, balding Spearman, who likes nothing be
Published July 1st 1993 by Princeton University Press (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Murder at the Margin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder at the Margin

Shani
I enjoy economics but this book was terrible. It was clearly written by someone who knew their stuff about economics but not much about writing. I had to read it for a high school econ class and it did the job of conveying points about economics well, and so for the class it was a good choice. But it is definitely not a book to read if what one is looking for is a good and entertaining story. The book made no pretense of being a great literary work which was good. It had a job to do and it did i ...more
Sana
Pretty good, especially after the characters are introduced. The economics stuff was pretty cool, especially at the end where Spearman puts it all together.

I kind of felt bad for Vincent, but I guess he deserved it for not listening to him. Sometimes the book was a bit funny (but not really). I liked the characters well enough, especially Spearman and Pidge. They were quite adorable, once the story unraveled.
Adalin Kucherina
I had to read this book for AP microeconomics. I actually enjoyed it, although I still loath econ class. I don't really understand much about economics and can barely keep up a decent grade in that class. However, this book was effective at expressing basic economic theory like demand and supply in a simple and entertaining way which I find was helpful to me. :)
K.B. Hallman
I was skeptical about an economics mystery, but Murder at the Margin is fairly entertaining. I can see why it is used in beginnnings economics courses. I learned more about economics (very generally, I'm sure) from reading this book than I ever learned in school (liberal arts major).
J
Just re-read it ...

Awesome book. It renewed my love of economics! The only thing that made it 4 stars (vs. 5) was awkward language and prices from the 1970s (when it was written).

Economics rocks!
Jean Doolittle
I picked this up because my son is an economist and I thought he would get a kick out of it. It turned out to be a clever mystery with a different twist to it.
Jacob Raymond
As an economics student, I loved this book! Though it was published in the late 1970s, it's still a gulp of fresh air compared to the thousands of other redundant whodunit. Using economy to solve murders is not only a strike of genius, it also helps the general reader to see why people study (and care about) economics through dozens of practical applications. Dr. Spearman and his wife Pidge are also among the most likeable characters I've seen in a long time. The story telling isn't perfect, and ...more
Umut Hacat
Gerçekten çok etkileyici ve güzel bir kurgusu var. Merak uyandırma konusunda Ekonomi ve edebiyat ancak bu kadar güzel birleştirebilirdi.
Jeremiah Cioffi
Solving murders using economic theory. Awesome.
Lauren
Read this for a class and had discussions on this. I enjoyed this very much which was odd given usually I find school driven reading tedious and rather boring. The murder was really well done and it was a refreshing how the author used economics and math as a means to deduce the murderer. Definitely a book in which I would read again and recommend to others.
Katie
I had to read this book for Economiics class, and it was actually pretty decent. I wasn't totally bored, but it was a school book and those are never going to be the best books in the world.
Rachel
An academic mystery and an admirable attempt at packaging economic arguments into a work of fiction. The book includes a nice passage on dutch auctions.
Maureen
I read this for my Economics class in the 1980's. I liked it. It was a fun way to learn.
Shirley Freeman
Okay. I liked Invisible Heart better for a novel about economic ideas.
Maria Herondale
Read this for my economics class, and to be honest it was pretty good.
michelle
What tpye of child reads an econ murder mystery?
This one. Oy, vey!
Catherine
Had to read for Economics class...kind of dry.
Jessica
Decent plotting, but showing its '80s age a bit.
Enkh-orchlon
the ending gave it away
Vrg
Vrg added it
May 24, 2015
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Akanksha Vardani
Akanksha Vardani marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Ivana
Ivana is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Nieznane przygody Mikołajka (Przygody Mikołajka, #3)
  • The Price of Everything: A Parable of Possibility and Prosperity
  • Król bezmiarów (Księga całości, #2)
  • Upiór południa. Czerń
  • Zawód: Wiedźma, Część 2 (Wolha Redna, #2)
  • Last Seen Wearing
  • Shell Game (Professor Simon Shaw, #5)
  • Critical Play: Radical Game Design
  • The Cult of Statistical Significance: How the Standard Error Costs Us Jobs, Justice, and Lives
  • Jesus on Mars
  • Erynie
  • Wypychacz zwierząt
  • The Parasite
  • The Personal Efficiency Program: How to Get Organized to Do More Work in Less Time
  • H.P. Lovecraft: A Life
  • Slow is Beautiful: New Visions of Community, Leisure and Joie de Vivre
  • Nikt
  • The Company of Strangers: A Natural History of Economic Life

Henry Spearman (3 books)
  • The Fatal Equilibrium
  • A Deadly Indifference
The Fatal Equilibrium A Deadly Indifference The Mystery of the Invisible Hand: A Henry Spearman Mystery Murder at the Margin: A Henry Spearman Mystery A Deadly Indifference: A Henry Spearman Mystery