Start by marking “Random” as Want to Read:
Random

Random (Tony Winter #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  373 ratings  ·  58 reviews

Glasgow is being terrorised by a serial killer the media have nicknamed The Cutter. The murders have left the police baffled. There seems to be neither rhyme nor reason behind the killings; no kind of pattern or motive; an entirely different method of murder each time, and nothing that connects the victims except for the fact that the little fingers of their right hands ha
Published February 1st 2011 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Random, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Random

Karen
One of the things that I really like about reading review books is that I constantly find absolutes in my reading tastes aren't. Ask me about serial killer books before reading RANDOM and I would have categorically stated been there, over it. Add being inside the serial killer's head for the entire of the book and I'd have put my hand on my heart and said it's all too tedious. Then I read RANDOM and found myself really hooked on the internal monologue of a serial killer.

Based in Glasgow, RANDOM,
Nick Clarke
Fabulously written,straight into the action from page 1,you almost think to yourself that you cant wait for the next murder,its that compelling a story.Utter genious.
Linda Strong
I can honestly say this was the first time I felt such sadness for a serial killer. The entire book is written from his point of view ... what's he doing, why he's doing it. There are no forensics to speak of and the police take a long step back, away from all the action.

He chooses victims at random .. the 3rd person who passes him on the street..... pulls a business card out of the bowl at the bar .... picks up the phone directory and chooses a name, any name will do. Then he stalks them, somet
Sandy
If you've read the blurb above you know the main plot of this book. A serial killer is loose in Glasgow & the frustration felt by the police is matched only by the public's fear as seemingly random victims are chosen for a gruesome demise.
But this is a book of surprises. First, the story is narrated by the killer. The reader is plunked down into his head so we are privy to his thoughts. Slowly we learn how personal tragedy transformed him from a happy family man to one who no longer feels jo
Fitzykd
From the moment I started reading this book I could not put it down, My husband managed to persuade me to put it down long enought to have dinner (I continued to read as dinner was cooking). This is a very cleverly written book. You are pulled in to the mind of the killer very quickly and your are hard put not to feel some sympathy and understanding for him. There is a pretty clever twist towards the end. I liked the fact that you found out 'why' quite early on (if you didn't, I don't think it w ...more
Miss Page Turner

This novel is a whole thrilling insight into the obscure mind of a serial killer with no obvious acting pattern. The Cutter appears to be a dangerous psychopath, on the inside he is a smart and hurt man longing for revenge and destruction. Random involves a murderer plot which is interwoven with a kind of underworld plot. In my opinion the involved underworld plot slows the overall story down and blurs it unnecessarily.

The story is told from the murderer’s point of view that puts the reader into
Esoldra
Colin Murtagh
I seem to be on a bit of a tartan noir kick at the moment, so when I heard about Craig Robertson, a new writer to me, I really had to try him out.
There does seem to be a new movement starting, where rather than a straightforward police procedural, the books focus on the criminal in the story. See Malcolm McKay excellent hit man trilogy for example. This novel follows the same idea, but is a whole lot darker.
Glasgow is a worried city. A serial killer is wandering the streets, and no one knows w
Rachael Hewison
This was unlike any serial killer novel I'd read before. I'd never read a book from the killer's perspective and I'd certainly never read one where the victims were so... well... random. I think both of those points were why this novel was so effective. There was no method to the killings, the victims just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. That thought alone is terrifying. To top that off Robertson wrote from the killer's perspective and it's hard to read just how cold he is a ...more
Rowena Hoseason
This is a tightly-woven thriller which escapes the usual humdrum feeling of Brit crime lit. At first it appears to be a fairly standard 'serial killer does bad stuff' with some ingenious methods for his murders. But then the plot opens out and the killer becomes a rather more sympathetic character, as he gets unwillingly involved in the Glaswegian underworld.

Initially I was a little concerned about the 'hoots mon' aspects of the text; I have found some books which contain big chunks of local dia
Helen
Crime novel with a difference - it's basically the internal monologue of the killer and almost everything is seen from his POV (apart from one killing which he does not commit or witness, but does cause). The motive becomes clear, but there is a lot of collateral damage (the "random" element in the killing spree) and he makes a mistake in choosing one victim who is under the protection of a "Glasgow businessman". As the who and the why is known to us, the main tension is how he is going to get a ...more
Peter Carroll
I read The Last Refuge by Craig Robertson and was hugely impressed so when this, his debut novel, appeared at a bargain price on Kindle, I snapped it up.

It's set in Glasgow and is the story of an unorthodox serial killer. Told in first person by the killer, we slowly get to find out what he's up to and why.

This is a quirky and original tale with a nice level of tension and pace to it. It's not for the squeamish and some of the methods employed by the killer to dispatch his victims are inventiv
Sue Mcleod
Decent read but I started to progressively gloss over the serial killer angst as I worked through the novel. Not a whodunit ... and the whydunnit was shared fairly early (apparent from one crucial element). Felt like a first novel - interesting idea but executed in a self-conscious manner.
Elusive
'Random' by Craig Robertson deviates from most crime novels as it is penned using first-person narrative which tells the story from the perspective of the perpetrator. As the title itself implies, the plot revolves around murders which appear to be committed randomly by a serial killer. Some of the savage deaths are described in detail.

The motivation behind the killer's actions is revealed early on and although it is understandable, I found his rage to be somewhat misplaced especially towards (v
Simon Fenwick
Random is the first novel from Scottish journalist Craif Robertson. It is also the first in a series to feature Detective Sergeant Rachel Narey.

In the past few years there have been several authors centring their crime novels in Scotland. Alex Gray, Ian Rankin and Peter May immediately spring to mind. It will be interesting to see how this series develops.

Random, which is set in Glasgow, is very different compared to most crime novels in that, not only does the detail of the police investigation
Gerard Oconnell
Enjoyed this book,my first from this writer but it will not be my last.
Janet O'Kane
Two criticisms are often aimed at novels about serial killers. They supposedly focus on characters who are motivated by a twisted logic which isn’t credible or convincing, and their victims are always young, attractive women. Craig Robertson’s debut novel commits neither of these literary sins. He also writes from the point-of-view of the killer, which is unusual and very effective. As the body count increases, so does the reader’s sympathy for a man who turns out not to be as cold-blooded as hi ...more
Tom Mills
Random is the debut novel of Craig Robertson, the latest in a long and distinguished line of 'Tartan Noir' writers. He once said that the Scottish "seem to be better at... reach[ing] the darker side of the human psyche... Many Scots also have a fondness for black humour that lends itself well to crime writing," and these crucial ingredients are certainly present in this excellent book.
Glasgow is being terrorised by a serial killer the media have nicknamed 'the Cutter'. His random attacks appear
Barbara
RANDOM
by Craig Robertson

In the city of Glasgow, a cold-blooded killer is picking off his victims. There appears to be no connection between the victims. The killer wants the police and the public to know that it is one man doing these seemingly random killings. He chops off the first victim's pinkie finger and sends it to the police department. That does not give him the attention he desires, so he sends the next pinkie to a newspaper reporter. Now he makes headlines.

Random is told entirely with
Miles
“Random” by Craig Robertson, a debut novelist from Scotland, isn’t your average crime thriller – a violence riddled journey told from the eyes of a serial killer; some will find it disturbing, some will find it thrilling but I for one found it just right - I couldn’t put the book down finishing this beguiling thriller in one day.

A fast paced story that really leaves nothing to the imagination – the violence is breath-taking and inspired at the same time. However Robertson never oversteps the mar
Jazz
Generally speaking I do tend to avoid books written from the viewpoint of the criminal, especially when it relates to cold-blooded murder. This is because I generally have no real desire to put myself in the shoes of the murderer or sympathise with them. It is the kind of moral dilemma I aim to avoid.

However, I am glad that I read Random by Craig Robertson. It was so well-written, so believable and ultimately, so tragic that I could not help but fall in love with it. And every so often forcing y
Best Crime Books
Craig Robertson has had a twenty year career with the Glasgow Post. He has not only interviewed three different Prime Ministers, he has also attended some major news stories such as 9/11, Dunblane and the disappearance of Madeleine McCann. This is his first novel and is entitled Random.

The cover of his book is pretty eye catching with its red cover and a picture of a figure in the shadows. The jacket information was even more interesting with a description of a Serial Killer operating in Glasgow
John
Promising debut thriller from Craig Robertson, written from the viewpoint of a sort of serial killer. It is quite a relief to find that this debut was a stand alone, rather than the first in a "thrilling new series". Whilst it is very readable and contains a couple of interesting plot twists, I felt that the writing style was a bit too simple, given the viewpoint. I probably would have tried his second book anyway, but I purchased books 1-3 as a set, so I definitely will.
Shannie Joy
I read the entire book and just couldn't align myself with the main character in any way shape or form. I did not care about him or his circumstances. It was also written entirely through his eyes so some of the information he ends up knowing seems off as if he truly wouldn't know it even if he had his "guy on the inside". I don't believe I'll be picking up another Craig Robertson book.
Tim Swift
Looking for a new writer to try out, this was a promising first start. It fits into what I'd call the "casual weekend" read - you can get through a lot of it quickly without skimming; and it's complex enough to be enjoyable without being so deep that you can't cope with regular interuptions from the 2-year old granddaughter.

The writer's background as a journalist shows through and is used effectively, with the press playing an important and unexpected role in the story.

'Random' reflects the natu
Iain
To start with I wasn't sure that I was going to enjoy this book, as Craig Robertson has decided to allow the murderer to narrate the story. There is a very good reason for this. Thoroughly enjoyed this, after my initial fears.
Flora Wyllie
This book is different from the usual crime novel as it is written by the killer. It keeps your interest right up to the end which was not what I expected who reading the previous few pages.
Annette Smith
Liked the fact that the story was narrated bet the killer and the police played a very minor role, however the ending was a real disappointment! Would read more by this author.
Gabriela
An amazing book indeed. It was an interesting insight into a killer's mind and it nicely reflected the depths that there are to thought. To think that the entire book was said just from the killer's point of view and yet it encompassed the surrounding attitudes, the thoughts, the reactions of others so well... it's simply impressive.
I do agree with the other reviewers in that some of the murders were rather gruesome but that little bit of grotesque was needed to make the scenes so much more rea
Amber
I found this book really interesting and couldn't put it down. I really recommend this book to people who like psychological thrillers.
704 gossip/ who is the ..... in the class/ random questions or topics 3 12 Nov 16, 2011 06:14PM
  • Paying For It (Gus Dury, #1)
  • Pilgrim Soul (Douglas Brodie, #3 / Danny McRae, #3)
  • Absolution (Anderson & Costello, #1)
  • Shatter The Bones (Logan McRae, #7)
  • Where the Bodies Are Buried
  • The Dead Tracks (David Raker, #2)
  • The Reaper (Damen Brook, #1)
  • American Devil. Oliver Stark
  • Captured
  • Dead Men's Dust (Joe Hunter, #1)
  • First Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #1)
  • Naming The Bones
  • Good As Dead (Tom Thorne, #10)
  • Broken Silence (Inspector Jack Brady, #1)
  • Crimespotting: An Edinburgh Crime Collection
  • Kiss & Die (Detective Johnny Mann, #4)
  • The Cleansing
  • Vigilante (Jessica Daniel, #2)
During his 20-year career with a Scottish Sunday newspaper, Craig Robertson has interviewed three recent Prime Ministers; attended major stories including 9/11, Dunblane, the Omagh bombing and the disappearance of Madeleine McCann; been pilloried on breakfast television, beaten Oprah Winfrey to a major scoop, been among the first to interview Susan Boyle, spent time on Death Row in the USA and dis ...more
More about Craig Robertson...

Tony Winter (4 books)
  • Snapshot
  • Cold Grave
  • Witness The Dead
Cold Grave Snapshot Witness The Dead The Last Refuge The Passport in America: The History of a Document