Start by marking “The Enemy Within, Straight Talk About the Power and Defeat of Sin” as Want to Read:
The Enemy Within, Straight Talk About the Power and Defeat of Sin

The Enemy Within, Straight Talk About the Power and Defeat of Sin

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  643 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Drawing from Indwelling Sin and The Mortification of Sin by Puritan John Owen, Lundgaard aims for the heart with a battle plan for radical spiritual transformation! His biblically sound principles on
Published November 1st 2012 by Presbyterian and Reformed (first published January 1st 1998)

Be the first to ask a question about The Enemy Within, Straight Talk About the Power and Defeat of Sin

Al
I was about to say that this was an enjoyable book, but that’s neither entirely true nor appropriate. However, I did get a lot out of it.

This is a brief summation of John Owen’s “Indwelling Sin” and “The Mortification of Sin”. I enjoyed reading Owen, but the author is entirely correct in establishing Owen as hard to read. This was a short book, and I finished it in less than a week, but went back over certain sections; the end of every chapter has at least four study or application questions, m...more
Todd Wilhelm
This book borrows much from John Owen's books "The Nature, Power, Deceit, and Prevalancy of the Remainders of Indwelling Sin in Believers" and "The Mortification of Sin." Lundgaard admits as much, stating in the Acknowledgements section that "If John Owen were alive, he'd be tempted to sue me, I stole so much of his material. I'll apologize and thank him when I see him in glory."

I for one am glad Lundgaard wrote this book. He makes the great theologian John Owen's thoughts accessible to a genera...more
Nathan Moore
This book is commendable on several fronts in spite of the fact that it reads a bit awkwardly. Lundgaard admits that many of his ideas are Owen's and it shows. Many times I pulled out Owen's work on Indwelling Sin and could find the exact line that drove Lundgaard's point. This books strengths lie in the author's treatment of 'how indwelling sin works', but in my judgment fails to offer a complete solution for how a believer is to effectively 'work against sin.'

This book is not without strengths...more
Sam
The Enemy Within by Kris Lundgaard is a well-written book discussing the destructive ability of the flesh and the power of God to defeat it. The 13 chapters are to the point, biblical, and include thoughtful review questions. Having studied the works of John Owen, Lundgaard has set out to present the same, timeless truths but in a more modern writing style. The book is definitely readable. He presents the truth, explains the Scriptures, and gives hope. Good stuff.

My only critique came in chapte...more
Bill
A friend told me that reading this book was like open heart surgery, and now I know what they mean. It's a full on book! It's a relentless dissection of what sin is, and how we can kill it, drawing from the works of Puritan John Owen. For me, it has brought the issue of dealing with sin much closer to home, and much more into my day to day living. Great book. Not all books end up making the day to day difference you hope for, but this one did.
Merilee
I did this in a Bible study with some college girls, and it was great (meaning we all saw our sin). At times, it was easy to feel defeated, but Kris Lungaard always brought us back to the gospel. I really like this book, very readable (which is good, as it is based on a John Owen book).
Michelle
Seriously, no Christian should attempt any longer to live our their faith w/o reading this. I'm on my third time reading it. I wish I could make changes in my life appear like magic.... Alas, that rhino is truly a beast in my life until I die. Yet, the battle ensues.
The Gatekeeper
May 12, 2010 The Gatekeeper rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All Christians
Recommended to The Gatekeeper by: my mom
This is a really good book! It was very convicting, but also grace-motivated. After reading it I feel more aware of how evil sin is, and also more equipped to fight it. It's also short and easy to understand, which is always a plus for nonfiction books. I highly recommend it.
Jkanz
The Enemy Within: Straight Talk About the Power and Defeat of Sin (1998) by Kris Lundegaard is a remarkable little book. Channeling the wise Puritan John Owen, Lundegaard wrote 150 very practical pages on overcoming the power of sin in the life of the believer. He described the influence of John Owen in his life and thinking about sin but, like most of us, found Owen to be a cumbersome read. Owen is a lot of work; thankfully Lundegaard is not. He took the wonderful ideas of Owen and unabashedly...more
High Pointe Baptist Church
How the deceitfulness of our own hearts leads us astray.
Shane Hatfield
The Enemy Within discusses continual sin in the life of a Christian. Lundgaard does a good job of explaining the concept of continual (indwelling sin); what is is; how it works; and how it can be combatted. My only problem with the book is the usage of war/battle/struggle language. This language is used in the Bible, but so is food imagery (Jesus is the living water or the bread of life) or romance language (Jesus is the lover of our souls) more effectively helps Christians deal with continual s...more
Melanie
Apr 04, 2008 Melanie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Melanie by: RUF Internship
To my considerable surprise, this will probably rank as the best book I've read for the RUF internship this semester. (Last semester's best book was John Newton's Letters.) Lundgaard has reworked two of John Owen's dense treatises on sin into a easy-to-read and cut-to-the-quick presentation of the Christian perspective on sin and our lifelong struggle with sin. I hated his style at first--it's terrifically corny--but an unexpected consequence of how irritating it was for me was that his actual i...more
Dian Novita Elfrida
Nov 01, 2007 Dian Novita Elfrida rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All the sinners
Pernahkah kamu merasa frustasi karena kamu masih tetap jatuh dalam dosa, walaupun kamu sudah hidup dalam Kristus dan percaya bahwa Kristus adalah satu-satunya Tuhan dan Juruselamat?

Pernahkah kamu merasa frustasi karena kamu tahu apa yang sedang kamu lakukan adalah dosa, tapi kamu tetap tidak bisa melepaskannya?

Jika Tuhan telah menebus dosa, dan memberikan Roh Kudus untuk menyucikan dan memberikan kekuatan untuk melawan dosa, mengapa saya tetap berdosa?

Kalau pertanyaan-pertanyaan itu jadi pertany...more
Greg Balzer
I had high hopes for this book - a modern rewriting of a classic by John Owen. In completing it, however, I just feel underwhelmed. The writing and the content just didn't grip me with any new, or old insight. I expected Piper, or Sproul, or Spurgeon, and what I got was nothing new.

This book is best at describing the deceptive nature of sin. The reality that we are fallen creatures living in a fallen world. That our hearts are deceitfully wicked and can not be trusted. That we need to guard our...more
Calvin
A proper gem of a book. Easy to read, yet packed with solid Puritan thoughts on how to wage the war we all must fight against the flesh. This would make a great small group or accountability group bible study guide complete as it is with questions at the end of each short chapter. I thoroughly recommend this wee book.
Ginelle
Lundgaard addresses our perpetual turning to and want to sin. Something that many Christians refer to as 'the flesh'. He speaks about how we so easily fall prey to the actions of the flesh that aren't glorifying to God . He also tells readers how they can overcome the temptations of the flesh to live a more Christ-like life.

The first few chapters definitely drag a little bit - but all the chapters are very short and lend to quick reading.

I most appreciated the last few chapters when, rather than...more
Elizabeth
This book was one I didn't want to read once I started it. Because of quotes like this one...
"The life of the disciple is not for the timid. Most would rather give in to sin than go through the painful work of picking up a cross and nailing their flesh to it."
But it was one I needed to read because it challenged me.
It would be a great book to go through in a group. It's one of those books where you really need to think and be honest with yourself. Sin is a real struggle, and this confronts the...more
John
This was the second time I read Lundgaard's "Enemy" and I was so glad I picked it up again. The first time I was frustrated by Lundgaard's down to earth style that felt at times forced and an odd mixture with Owen's high prose. On the second read I really appreciated Lundgaard's work in bringing Owen's often difficult to access theology to the heart. Lundgaard skillfully applies Owen's powerful insights on the power of indwelling sin and the accompanying call and hope in mortifying that sin. Lik...more
Jonathan B
Lundgaard gives a sort of abridged and modernized version of John Owen's Indwelling Sin and Mortification of Sin. I wish there were more modernized versions of Owen like this.
Tristan
Clear thinking about the battle of the sin nature, our fleshly enticements and the work of the Spirit In the believer. Highly recommended!
Jo
This book was especially relavent for my life right now. Two things stuck out to me. One, I was thoroughly convinced of the power and danger of my own indwelling sin. The awareness this book gave me was very valuable.

Secondly, I really liked the explaination about the roles that my mind, affection, and will play in the task of resisting sin. Getting those clear in my mind was helpful.

I wasn't always that thrilled with the author's style (though I loved the quotes he prefaced each chapter with!...more
librarian4Him02
Lundgaard adapted a book by John Owen, "The nature, Power, Deceit, and Prevalency of the Reminders of Indwelling Sin in Believers" for a modern day audience. He focuses on our flesh, the power it tries to have over us, and how to put it to death.

I read this with a group of women from Church. Our study only mets every other week and we didn't meet a couple of times. That's why it took so long to read it. It's really a potentially quick read.

There was much conviction in this book. I have a much be...more
Josue Manriquez
This is an excellent book. Throughout it, the author teaches how one ought to fight against sin:

- Meditating on the cross to see the rottenness of your sin and the fulness of Christ's love
- Keeping watch against sin's deceit
- Filling your affections with heavenly things
- Applying your will to every means of God's grace to fight temptation
- Renewing your first love for Jesus
- Hungering for a glimpse of God's holy glory
- Walking by faith in the power of the Holy Spirit

I highly recommend it for any...more
Andy
If you find yourself struggling with anything and you think "why can't I just get over it" read this. It did a number on me.
Jim
The Enemy Within serves as an introduction and reworking of Indwelling Sin and The Mortification of Sin by John Owens. I have found by experience that in a comfortable Christianity there is an inherent lack of conviction of sin and its dangers and therefore a woeful inattention to the need of the gospel for daily life. As long as my sins are not that big or are not hurting anyone else then they are tolerable. This book, like Owens, takes aim at indwelling sin and continually points the reader to...more
Brian
Drawing from the works of John Owen, Kris deals with the subject in four parts. What is Sin, The power of Sin in how it works, The power of sin in what it does, How to deal with sin in your life. These kinds of books take 2-3 days to read so it is always a great reminder as we live in a world where sin assaults our senses constantly, we need to remain focused on Gods grace first, which should translate to greater obedience. The book just refocuses us on what we should avoid and helps us to under...more
Raven
Extremely good read. Very very good and moves strongly through the issue of sin. I would reccomend it for anyone who has been saved from sin but still struggles. We know we are unable to completely destroy our sin and several times I have felt the darkness of hopelessness. But CHRIST is my HOPE. Simply and completely. He is our Savior and already destroyed sin. Amazing read. Def. a recommended read.

AMEN AND AMEN.
Jenny
Light reading about the ongoing presence of sin in the believers life... and I really mean light reading because, while the author is paraphrasing the puritan John Owen for the whole of the book, his attempt to connect Owen's truths to the modern ear is so concerned with being witty that it borders on sounding jocular at times. Good points, but I didnt find the book too stimulating.
Jeremy D.
Read this in a day. A very helpful and approachable book drawing heavily from A couple of John Owen books on mortification and sin. There were all sorts of excellent quotables worth writing down. Richard Pratt endorsed it saying that Lundgaard has done the impossible, giving us "some of the best of Puritan theology in a language all of us can understand." Well said.
I would recommend this book highly. As Christians we focus so much on the devil being our enemy that we forget the enemy within...our own sin nature. This book clearly explained the doctrine of sin, how it is defeated and what it looks like to live between the moment of justification and standing face to face with the risen Lord.
  • Competent to Counsel: Introduction to Nouthetic Counseling
  • A Gospel Primer for Christians: Learning to See the Glories of God's Love
  • Holiness
  • How People Change
  • When People Are Big and God is Small: Overcoming Peer Pressure, Codependency, and the Fear of Man (Resources for Changing Lives)
  • Putting Amazing Back into Grace: Embracing the Heart of the Gospel
  • Redemption Accomplished and Applied
  • The Joy of Fearing God
  • War of Words, Getting to the Heart of Your Communication Struggles (Resources for changing lives)
  • Living the Cross Centered Life: Keeping the Gospel the Main Thing
  • Speaking Truth in Love: Counsel in Community
  • The Christian Life: A Doctrinal Introduction
  • When Sinners Say "I Do": Discovering the Power of the Gospel for Marriage
  • All Things for Good
Through the Looking Glass: Reflections on Christ That Change Us Program Design With Pseudocode