Start by marking “The Enemy Within: Straight Talk about the Power and Defeat of Sin” as Want to Read:
The Enemy Within: Straight Talk about the Power and Defeat of Sin

The Enemy Within: Straight Talk about the Power and Defeat of Sin

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,040 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
Drawing from two masterful works by John Owen, Kris Lundgaard offers insight, encouragement, and hope for overcoming the enemy within.
Published December 1st 1998 by P & R Publishing (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Enemy Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Enemy Within

God by Robert WoegerLife Application Study Bible by AnonymousThe Message Remix by Eugene H. PetersonDesiring God by John PiperRadical by David Platt
Discipleship
39th out of 46 books — 23 voters
Desiring God by John PiperWhen I Don't Desire God by John PiperPleasures Evermore by Sam StormsLove Your God with All Your Mind by J.P. MorelandNo Place for Truth by David F. Wells
Desiring God Recommended Reading
78th out of 86 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Al
Apr 01, 2011 Al rated it really liked it
I was about to say that this was an enjoyable book, but that’s neither entirely true nor appropriate. However, I did get a lot out of it.

This is a brief summation of John Owen’s “Indwelling Sin” and “The Mortification of Sin”. I enjoyed reading Owen, but the author is entirely correct in establishing Owen as hard to read. This was a short book, and I finished it in less than a week, but went back over certain sections; the end of every chapter has at least four study or application questions, m
Bill
Aug 11, 2011 Bill rated it really liked it
A friend told me that reading this book was like open heart surgery, and now I know what they mean. It's a full on book! It's a relentless dissection of what sin is, and how we can kill it, drawing from the works of Puritan John Owen. For me, it has brought the issue of dealing with sin much closer to home, and much more into my day to day living. Great book. Not all books end up making the day to day difference you hope for, but this one did.
Todd Wilhelm
Oct 10, 2013 Todd Wilhelm rated it it was amazing
This book borrows much from John Owen's books "The Nature, Power, Deceit, and Prevalancy of the Remainders of Indwelling Sin in Believers" and "The Mortification of Sin." Lundgaard admits as much, stating in the Acknowledgements section that "If John Owen were alive, he'd be tempted to sue me, I stole so much of his material. I'll apologize and thank him when I see him in glory."

I for one am glad Lundgaard wrote this book. He makes the great theologian John Owen's thoughts accessible to a genera
Nathan Moore
Feb 25, 2012 Nathan Moore rated it it was ok
This book is commendable on several fronts in spite of the fact that it reads a bit awkwardly. Lundgaard admits that many of his ideas are Owen's and it shows. Many times I pulled out Owen's work on Indwelling Sin and could find the exact line that drove Lundgaard's point. This books strengths lie in the author's treatment of 'how indwelling sin works', but in my judgment fails to offer a complete solution for how a believer is to effectively 'work against sin.'

This book is not without strengths
Jkanz
Dec 26, 2013 Jkanz rated it it was amazing
The Enemy Within: Straight Talk About the Power and Defeat of Sin (1998) by Kris Lundegaard is a remarkable little book. Channeling the wise Puritan John Owen, Lundegaard wrote 150 very practical pages on overcoming the power of sin in the life of the believer. He described the influence of John Owen in his life and thinking about sin but, like most of us, found Owen to be a cumbersome read. Owen is a lot of work; thankfully Lundegaard is not. He took the wonderful ideas of Owen and unabashedly ...more
Sam
Jun 06, 2012 Sam rated it really liked it
The Enemy Within by Kris Lundgaard is a well-written book discussing the destructive ability of the flesh and the power of God to defeat it. The 13 chapters are to the point, biblical, and include thoughtful review questions. Having studied the works of John Owen, Lundgaard has set out to present the same, timeless truths but in a more modern writing style. The book is definitely readable. He presents the truth, explains the Scriptures, and gives hope. Good stuff.

My only critique came in chapte
Bill Simmons
Apr 22, 2016 Bill Simmons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
powerful, and well written.

I am simply amazed how well this book communicates the truth of sin, and the fact that we all battle this enemy. God has given us the completed text, and the i dwelling Spirit to give us the victory. I am in awe of all the power we have. Thank you Lord Jesus, you alone deserve the praise.
Merilee
Dec 04, 2007 Merilee rated it really liked it
I did this in a Bible study with some college girls, and it was great (meaning we all saw our sin). At times, it was easy to feel defeated, but Kris Lungaard always brought us back to the gospel. I really like this book, very readable (which is good, as it is based on a John Owen book).
Leslie
Oct 31, 2013 Leslie rated it it was amazing
Awesome! Laced with lots of hope and truth, this book hits you where it counts--in the heart. You cannot see the glory of Christ and His love without first coming face to face with your sin and depravity. Lundgaard does an amazing job of offering hope in the face of overwhelming sin.
Michelle Tuggy
Aug 07, 2011 Michelle Tuggy rated it it was amazing
Seriously, no Christian should attempt any longer to live our their faith w/o reading this. I'm on my third time reading it. I wish I could make changes in my life appear like magic.... Alas, that rhino is truly a beast in my life until I die. Yet, the battle ensues.
The Gatekeeper
May 12, 2010 The Gatekeeper rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All Christians
Recommended to The Gatekeeper by: my mom
This is a really good book! It was very convicting, but also grace-motivated. After reading it I feel more aware of how evil sin is, and also more equipped to fight it. It's also short and easy to understand, which is always a plus for nonfiction books. I highly recommend it.
Andrew Mcneill
Oct 19, 2012 Andrew Mcneill rated it it was amazing
Excellent book about fighting sin. Based on the works of John Owen, this book is far more easy to read but it loses none of its power. The writer shows deep insight into the workings of sin and how to fight it by God's grace.
High Pointe Baptist Church
How the deceitfulness of our own hearts leads us astray.
Shane Hatfield
Oct 21, 2011 Shane Hatfield rated it liked it
The Enemy Within discusses continual sin in the life of a Christian. Lundgaard does a good job of explaining the concept of continual (indwelling sin); what is is; how it works; and how it can be combatted. My only problem with the book is the usage of war/battle/struggle language. This language is used in the Bible, but so is food imagery (Jesus is the living water or the bread of life) or romance language (Jesus is the lover of our souls) more effectively helps Christians deal with continual s ...more
Melanie
Apr 04, 2008 Melanie rated it liked it
Recommended to Melanie by: RUF Internship
To my considerable surprise, this will probably rank as the best book I've read for the RUF internship this semester. (Last semester's best book was John Newton's Letters.) Lundgaard has reworked two of John Owen's dense treatises on sin into a easy-to-read and cut-to-the-quick presentation of the Christian perspective on sin and our lifelong struggle with sin. I hated his style at first--it's terrifically corny--but an unexpected consequence of how irritating it was for me was that his actual i ...more
Dian Novita Elfrida
Nov 01, 2007 Dian Novita Elfrida rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All the sinners
Pernahkah kamu merasa frustasi karena kamu masih tetap jatuh dalam dosa, walaupun kamu sudah hidup dalam Kristus dan percaya bahwa Kristus adalah satu-satunya Tuhan dan Juruselamat?

Pernahkah kamu merasa frustasi karena kamu tahu apa yang sedang kamu lakukan adalah dosa, tapi kamu tetap tidak bisa melepaskannya?

Jika Tuhan telah menebus dosa, dan memberikan Roh Kudus untuk menyucikan dan memberikan kekuatan untuk melawan dosa, mengapa saya tetap berdosa?

Kalau pertanyaan-pertanyaan itu jadi pertany
Kathy Hogeveen
Oct 23, 2014 Kathy Hogeveen rated it really liked it
Very thankful that some women at my church decided to do this as a book study over the summer. It is a foundational book for a Christian to understand the battle we face. The questions after each chapter are thought provoking and drives you into scripture for meditation. The practical aresnal of weapons that God gives us are simple and effective.
Aug 07, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Well written and thoughtful, a nice summary of sin nature and the eternal struggle between the will of the flesh and God's will.

Lundgaard does a good job of compressing a large amount of theology into a book that I was able to read in a matter of hours. He keeps the tone light while dealing with a very heavy subject, which I appreciated, but sometimes comes off as too general. I do understand that this is meant to basically be a precis of the works of John Owen, but there were several places whe
Adam Ziarnik
Sep 16, 2015 Adam Ziarnik rated it really liked it
This is another one of those books that I can't really say was an enjoyable read, but I think it is essential reading for any Christian. In a nutshell, the author has attempted to modernize and combine two different works of the puritan theologian John Owen (Indwelling Sin, and The Mortification of Sin) so as to make them more accessible to a 21st century audience. This has been a convicting read, and an inspiring read, and it is a book that I can see myself returning to again in the future. It ...more
Greg Balzer
Jan 16, 2013 Greg Balzer rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this book - a modern rewriting of a classic by John Owen. In completing it, however, I just feel underwhelmed. The writing and the content just didn't grip me with any new, or old insight. I expected Piper, or Sproul, or Spurgeon, and what I got was nothing new.

This book is best at describing the deceptive nature of sin. The reality that we are fallen creatures living in a fallen world. That our hearts are deceitfully wicked and can not be trusted. That we need to guard our
Calvin
Apr 18, 2014 Calvin rated it really liked it
A proper gem of a book. Easy to read, yet packed with solid Puritan thoughts on how to wage the war we all must fight against the flesh. This would make a great small group or accountability group bible study guide complete as it is with questions at the end of each short chapter. I thoroughly recommend this wee book.
Ginelle
Aug 21, 2013 Ginelle rated it it was ok
Lundgaard addresses our perpetual turning to and want to sin. Something that many Christians refer to as 'the flesh'. He speaks about how we so easily fall prey to the actions of the flesh that aren't glorifying to God . He also tells readers how they can overcome the temptations of the flesh to live a more Christ-like life.

The first few chapters definitely drag a little bit - but all the chapters are very short and lend to quick reading.

I most appreciated the last few chapters when, rather than
Jason Atkinson
Dec 13, 2015 Jason Atkinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book on breaking sin's grip on us

I have read several books on sin, including the Mortification of Sin by Owen. This author has taken much of what Owen wrote and made it very readable.
Elizabeth
Oct 31, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
This book was one I didn't want to read once I started it. Because of quotes like this one...
"The life of the disciple is not for the timid. Most would rather give in to sin than go through the painful work of picking up a cross and nailing their flesh to it."
But it was one I needed to read because it challenged me.
It would be a great book to go through in a group. It's one of those books where you really need to think and be honest with yourself. Sin is a real struggle, and this confronts the
John
Feb 05, 2014 John rated it really liked it
This was the second time I read Lundgaard's "Enemy" and I was so glad I picked it up again. The first time I was frustrated by Lundgaard's down to earth style that felt at times forced and an odd mixture with Owen's high prose. On the second read I really appreciated Lundgaard's work in bringing Owen's often difficult to access theology to the heart. Lundgaard skillfully applies Owen's powerful insights on the power of indwelling sin and the accompanying call and hope in mortifying that sin. Lik ...more
Nathan
Jun 26, 2015 Nathan rated it it was amazing
Some books leave a lasting impression and you find yourself thinking back on what you learned, indeed your very thinking has been altered. For myself, this was one of those books. It has brought clarity to the the battle with sin and the flesh and the weapons that the Christian has at his disposal in that battle. Excellent.
Jonathan B
Apr 10, 2014 Jonathan B rated it really liked it
Lundgaard gives a sort of abridged and modernized version of John Owen's Indwelling Sin and Mortification of Sin. I wish there were more modernized versions of Owen like this.
Tristan
Aug 23, 2014 Tristan rated it it was amazing
Clear thinking about the battle of the sin nature, our fleshly enticements and the work of the Spirit In the believer. Highly recommended!
Jo
Jun 24, 2015 Jo rated it liked it
Shelves: own, christian, adult, theology
This book was especially relavent for my life right now. Two things stuck out to me. One, I was thoroughly convinced of the power and danger of my own indwelling sin. The awareness this book gave me was very valuable.

Secondly, I really liked the explaination about the roles that my mind, affection, and will play in the task of resisting sin. Getting those clear in my mind was helpful.

I wasn't always that thrilled with the author's style (though I loved the quotes he prefaced each chapter with!
Zachary Jewell
Aug 14, 2015 Zachary Jewell rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for every Christian. Kris powerfully points out the danger sin and how to destroy it.
  • War of Words: Getting to the Heart of Your Communication Struggles
  • The Gospel for Real Life: Turn to the Liberating Power of the Cross... Every Day
  • A Gospel Primer for Christians: Learning to See the Glories of God's Love
  • Redemption Accomplished and Applied
  • The Christian Life: A Doctrinal Introduction
  • Holiness
  • The Bruised Reed
Kris Lundgaard was associate pastor of University PCA in New Mexico. He is currently a manager in the computer industry. He lives with his wife, Paula, and four children in Austin, Texas.
More about Kris Lundgaard...

“The person who calls himself a Christian, who says he loves God, yet does not seek his company and delight in it, can’t be a true lover of God.” 1 likes
“We have met the enemy and he is us. —Pogo” 1 likes