Indescribable: Encountering the Glory of God in the Beauty of the Universe

Indescribable: Encountering the Glory of God in the Beauty of the Universe

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Putting this powerful message into print for the first time, visionary pastor Louie Giglio and songwriter Matt Redman team up to write a heart-stirring book about the mysteries of God’s creation. Indescribable takes readers on a journey through the vastness of outer space and into the depths of the soul.Modern science allows viewers to see farther into space than ever befo...more
Published November 1st 2011 by David C. Cook

Lillie
Indescribable is a beautiful call to worship the Lord of the Universe. Fantastic photos from the Hubble and other incredible telescopes coupled with facts and figures about the size and amazing details about the stars and other heavenly bodies. But in each short chapter, this magnificence is put into perspective: as indescribable the wonders of God's creation are, there is something even more incredible. The Creator who brought this unbelievable universe into existence also created each and ever...more
Jon Stephens
I recently read the book Indescribable by Louie Giglio & Matt Redman in preparation for teaching on the bigness of God. The book talks about the glory of God as seen in the beauty of the universe. Initially I was worried it would just be a retelling of the Louie Giglio message (dvd) called How Great is Our God, but it wasn’t at all. Giglio mentions the four stars from his message, but this is all new material.

I purchased the soft cover edition of this book, but I wish I had purchased the har...more
Jeanie
If you need to be reminded of the Majesty of the Lord, this book will bring you there. It is just a scratch but it still lovely and a good place to be. The majesty of the Lord, compells you just as it did King David to be a man after God's own heart.
David Bergsland
I know it’s my fault, but when I see a picture book about God’s creation in a book subtitled: Encountering the Glory of God in the beauty of the universe I have expectations of a book devoted to showing what God did in his creation. To a certain extent that is indeed in this book. In fact, I begrudgingly have to say that the book did what it promised. But it could have been so much more.

For example, one of the best nuggets I found in the books where the sun is described as a virtually unique sta...more
Jeff

Loved this book. The perfect gift for those skeptical about God. Once you understand the vastness of the universe, it's hard to discount the possibility of a Creator. For example:
* The distance from LA to New York is 2,462 miles.
* The distance from Earth to the Moon is 240,000 miles.
* The distance from Earth to the Sun is 93 million miles.
* 1 light year is 5.8 trillion miles.
* Width of the Milky Way Galaxy is 100,000-120,000 light years.
* Distance from the Milky Way to the nearest galaxy - 2.5...more
Jeff Short
Do we know what it means that the heavens declare the glory of God (Psalm 19:1)? If we know anything, we only know a very small part of it. It is good for us to search the heavens and see and hear God's glory displayed there. This book is full of pictures of wonders in the universe that quiet us to behold them. A lot of effort is spent in trying to give scale and perspective to a few wonders beyond us that are ultimately indescribable.

Redman and Giglio are guides for us in this book. This is not...more
Chelsea
"The statistical probability that organic structures and the most precisely harmonized reactions that typify living organisms would be generated by accident is zero." - Ilya Prigogine, Nobel Laureate in Chemistry, page 180-181

I was lent this book by a good friend of mine to occupy my twelve hour drive to New York this past week. Coincidentally, I didn't actually get to it until the drive home, and during the time we were there my friends and I paid a day-long visit to the American Museum of Natu...more
Heath Marion
This book is an easy read. I had originally picked up this book because my oldest daughter was talking about scientific facts about the universe in school. My intent was to help give another perspective that included God in the conversation. The pictures and the quotes quickly pulled me in and I became curious myself.

Plato says, “Astronomy compels the soul to look upwards.” This is exactly what begins to happen as you read this book. You begin to amazed at how big God must by the shear enormity...more
John Jeffcoat iii
I own a LOT of books that feature photos of astronomical objects as seen through the Hubble Space Telescope, or one of the larger ground-based observatories. As a Christian, I am fascinated with such books, because they demonstrate the awesome extent to which "the heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky shows His handiwork". Pouring over their pages gives one a sense of how amazingly huge and diverse and magnificently beautiful the universe really is.
One thing however, that I find irritat...more
Christy
Giglio and Redman explore the wonders of the universe with a spiritual slant. "Life is brief, and there's nothing more exhausting than living out our days as if we are the center of the universe, responsible for everything and everybody under the sun." Our creator is all knowing and His creation of the universe proves He can do anything. "If the power of the stars is hard to fathom, how much more so is the power of the One who holds them in place beyond our understanding. If His are the arms tha...more
Shellie
I am humbled by a picture of a spiral galaxy similar to ours, 30 million light years away. Our solar system is so small in the Milky Way that it is like the size of a quarter in all of North America. We are miniscule, not even dust motes, compared to the stars--some of which are 4 million times brighter than the sun--and yet God knows how many hairs are on each of our heads.

The authors impress upon us the words of Job in verse 37:17, “Stop and consider God’s wonders.” “Reverence is often the fru...more
Kim
This was an easy book to read as a devotional, reading a short chapter per day. I really enjoyed learning about the solar system and God's amazing creation. It made me feel so small in the grand scheme of things, yet not at all insignificant. What an encouragement to know that God's love for us is so indescribable, He reaches across time and space to draw us to Himself, to have a relationship with us. Truly, the heavens do declare His handiwork and His divine nature is revealed to us in the skie...more
Jonathan
I was initially going to give this book 3 instead of 4 stars. The pictures and description of the cosmos are stunning...and the manner in which a big universe is woven in to a bigger God is inspiring...but not new. Or incredibly stimulating. Or profound. Until I was reminded by a God who is in fact larger than the whole of space that the simple message of the gospel IS profound, and stimulating, and always new in its graces and mercy toward us. In looking toward discipleship we should not despis...more
Amanda Strnad
"He...who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead." ~Albert Einstein (Indescribable, p.70)

This quote sums up well my impressions of INDESCRIBABLE. There's not major theological revelation or life application contained within these pages. Instead, it's a book that reveals the immensity of the Universe and the comparably minuscule man using facts about stars, galaxies, planets, etc. If these facts and breath-taking pictures don't cause you to stand in awe of our gre...more
Andrea Joseph
I found myself wandering towards this book by chance, and when I looked up out of my daze, I was holding a book with the same title as a talk that made me say 'Wow' out loud every time I watched it, and a song that made my heart sing 'You are amazing, God' as loud as my voice did. I bought it immediately, and smiled so big while I paged through the pages filled with quotes about stars and creation, and photographs of beautiful constellations. The book was everything I wanted it to be, I read it...more
Randy Elster
Incredible book about the vastness of space and how that relates to our relationship to its, and our, Creator. Highly recommended, although on my old-style, non-color kindle, the pictures lost some of their impact.
Barbara
I have seen this content as a video, and jumped at the chance to read it as a book. Both are good, although I will admit I enjoyed the video more. In either case, the illustrations are spectacular, and definitely need to be viewed in color; this is not going to be as amazing if read on a black and white e-reader, although it would still be good. The authors do a marvelous job depicting how vast our universe truly is, and how small our earth is in comparison. The information is from a Christian p...more
Nancy Chaddick
Read it on my nook, but I'm sure the pictures would be more fascinating on a bigger page.
Beth Trask
Feb 15, 2013 Beth Trask rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Beth by: Nancy Abner
Indescribable! Astronomy and Scripture. Favorite chapter = Ch 6 SYMPHONY - quote pg 80 "And somewhere in the midst of it all is you, special among all of creation, made in the very image of God. Stamped with divinity, and created in the likeness of God, you, too, were made by and for Jesus. Thus, you have a voice in the chorus. A voice like no other because, unlike the stars, you have the capacity to know and love the Creator - and the choice to value Him above everything else He has made."
Joy
I couldn't read this all at once. It was so overwhelmingly loaded with cool facts that my little brain couldn't handle it all at once.

This was a lot like Louie Giglio's video of Indescribable so I was glad to be able to access and highlight the things I like.

I was disappointed that the book did not include the final galaxy Louie showed in the video.

Photos are really too small for the Kindle Fire but would be gorgious on a larger screen.
Shannon
Really enjoyed this book. It was easy to read but full of fascinating facts about the universe. Very well written by Lou Giglio and Matt Redman. My only disappointment was that I read it on my Kindle and the pictures were hard to really see. Print would have done them better justice. I read parts of it to my kids. Not sure if they appreciated it as much as I did but I try! Would definitely recommend this!
Anna
This was a very fascinating read. I loved how God's creation was combined with words from the Bible and reflections from Matt Redman and Louie Giglio. It made me realize even more how great God is and how He has great plans for each of us. If you are looking for a book to inspire you and take it a step deeper in your faith, you should check this one out.
Courtney
I would recommend this one over the non-illustrated edition for several reasons; the main one being that it has mind blowing photographs. Even if you not non-religious, this book provides insight into the field of astronomy that is guaranteed to make you fall in love with this field. The pictures are bound to open your eyes to a whole new world.
Ariane Rosos
It's so well-referenced especially that it deals with scientific concepts and for that i love it super! ❤ The facts don't seem too technical, thanks to the analogies provided, which are really helpful to better understand the science concept being explained.

Definitely a must read for science (astronomy in particular) enthusiasts!
Haley
I love to look at this book over and over again. To look and awe at all the creation is to know more about our Amazing Creator! I marvel at this book, not only for its remarkable pictures of stars and space, but its thoughtful writing, bringing us back to the One who made it all! "The Heaven's declare the glory of the LORD!"
Ruth
I like the worship song that's companion to this book better than the book, I think. :) Despite the scientific detail being spread lightly and the style a bit overblown at times, the beauty of the images and the opportunity to focus on the truth of God's majesty more than compensated for these small detractions.
Laura Roessler
I love how knowledgeable both Louie Giglio and Matt Redman are about the universe and how facts-based they are. They have a unique way of presenting stunning facts and transitioning to spiritual analogies. It holds a lot of truth I've known, but presented in a fresh way which I so desperately needed.
Brooke
Part astronomy, part worship this book was great at explaining the utter massiveness of the universe in simple terms. At times I thought the astronomy and gospel message ties felt a bit forced. But overall very enjoyable and eyeopening book to the vastness of the universe and the vastness of God.
Steve Curll
I enjoyed the live presentation much more. The spiritual analogies were fascinating as a Christian, although the connections seemed often to be a stretch, somewhat weak. Encouraging for Christians, but not likely to convert Carl Sagan types.
Katie Casey
I have heard Louie Giglio's talk by the same name, but it was fun to read this devotional type book and see the images of all the amazing space photography (most if not all from NASA) and just to reflect on what an amazing Creator God we have!
  • Jesus: The Only Way To God: Must You Hear The Gospel To Be Saved?
  • True Community: The Biblical Practice of Koinonia
  • Handle with Prayer: Unwrap the Source of God's Strength for Living
  • 10 People Every Christian Should Know
  • Heaven for Kids
  • Speaking of Jesus: The Art of Not-Evangelism
  • The Most Misused Verses in the Bible: Surprising Ways God's Word Is Misunderstood
  • The Fitting Room: Putting on the Character of Christ
  • God's Story, Your Story: When His Becomes Yours
  • The Good Life
  • Art of Neighboring, The: Building Genuine Relationships Right Outside Your Door
  • Touching Wonder: Recapturing the Awe of Christmas
  • Providence: Once Upon a Second Chance
  • The Furious Longing of God
  • A Place of Healing: Wrestling with the Mysteries of Suffering, Pain, and God's Sovereignty
  • Praying Backwards: Transform Your Prayer Life by Beginning in Jesus' Name
  • Further Still: A Collection of Poetry and Vignettes
  • Becoming Fearless: My Ongoing Journey of Learning to Trust God
I Am Not But I Know I Am: Welcome to the Story of God The Air I Breathe: Worship as a Way of Life Wired: For a Life of Worship Passion: The Bright Light of Glory Lost In Wonder:  Encountering The Glory Of God In The Beauty Of The Universe

“As Paul Hawken keenly observed, Ralph Waldo Emerson once asked what we would do if the stars only came out once every thousand years. No one would sleep that night, of course.… We would be ecstatic, delirious, made rapturous by the glory of God. Instead, the stars come out every night and we watch television.1” 1 likes
“BY INVESTIGATING GOD’S MAJESTIC AND AWESOME CREATION, SCIENCE CAN ACTUALLY BE A MEANS OF WORSHIP. —FRANCIS COLLINS” 1 likes