Start by marking “Doctor Who: The Doctor Trap” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The Doctor Trap

Doctor Who: The Doctor Trap (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #26)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  904 ratings  ·  63 reviews

Sebastiene was perhaps once human. He might look like a nineteenth-century nobleman, but in truth he is a ruthless hunter. He likes nothing more than luring difficult opposition to a planet, then hunting them down for sport. And now he's caught them all - from Zargregs to Moogs, and even the odd Eternal...

In fact, Sebastiene is after only one more prize. For this trophy,

Published (first published October 23rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Lolly's Library
This is my first entry into the Doctor Who novelization universe and I chose this title because Donna is my favorite of the Doctor's companions. I have to say, I was rather disappointed with the book. The story is twisty, turny, and confusing, only working itself out towards the end, which isn't necessarily bad, but there seemed to be little point to the whole thing. To me, it was as though the author was boasting, "Look at how confusing I can make this plot!" without any real effort made to dra ...more
 ~Geektastic~
Of all the New Series Doctor Who books I have read (about 12 or so at this point, I think), this is the least successful. The Doctor Trap is essentially a failed attempt at what could have been a complex and interesting case of "mistaken identity with a twist." It is hampered most by it's length; it is not long enough to provide the detail necessary to the mystery. The need to differentiate the Doctor from his "impostor" overrides any sense of genuine mystery, and creates a lot of undue confus ...more
Ruth
"Excitement, tension, the thrill of the chase, these were a few of his favourite things." - The Doctor Trap, p. 187

Sebastiene is physically flawless, incredibly powerful and more than a little bit maniacal. As the ruler of Planet 1, Sebastiene has everything he could ever want, but that will never be enough. He's taken to hunting down alien species, the more dangerous the better. For his ultimate prize, however, Sebastiene must enlist the help of the Endangered Dangerous Species Society, a group
annik
Докторская ловушка оказалась самой настоящей лохушкой, но добираться до осознания этого факта было довольно забавно. Донну похищают, скучающий от безделья злодейский Себа разворачивает на своей планете охоту на Доктора, по пути создавая докторского двойника – так, чтобы разнообразить очередной дождливый четверг.

Доставило Endangered Dangerous Species Society, готовое загнать Доктора до смерти. Самый сладкий твист на свете – когда не понимаешь, где Доктор, а где двойник, которому внушили, что он и
Jim C
My actual rating is 1.5 stars and the reason I bumped up my rating the half star is the author did a good job with the Doctor and Donna portrayals.

This is a novel based on the television series. This can be categorized as Doctor Who mixed with the story The Most Dangerous Game and throw in a switched identity theme. A ruler of a planet organizes a big game hunt and the Doctor is the game that is being hunted and the Doctor has to use his wits to survive.

I liked the concept of this book. The pro
Avarill
It's safe to say that most of the new range of BBC-published DW novels are, well, bland. That's why I normally only listen to the audio versions -- a good reader can breathe life into a bland story (or at least make it worth my time). The good news is that The Doctor Trap is actually a strong story, and Russell Tovey does a good job in reading it. This one features a clever conundrum and just about achieves page-turner status. I enjoyed the puzzle, and the Doctor's predicament was well-paced and ...more
Kaion
Although I haven't gotten to Ghosts of India, I'm inclined to believe The Doctor Trap is the worst of the Donna-era Doctor Who novels, just because I'm generous like that. Although Simon Messingham tries for cleverness in his twisty adventure featuring a mysterious being who summons the Doctor down to his planet to hunt him, the whole doesn't hang particularly well and the exercise comes off more fake than interesting. Because here's the thing about the Doctor Who I enjoy: it may be goofy, it ma ...more
Rose
This was my second "Doctor Who" novel after deciding to give the New Series Adventures another try. I picked it up because the premise as described on the back -- the Doctor meets "The Most Dangerous Game" -- sounded so absolutely fascinating. Imagine the Doctor trying to outwit the most clever hunters in the Universe, all of whom are after him as the ultimate prize, the last of the Time Lords ... really, how could it be any cooler?

A bit disappointingly, however, the book never really did what i
Hellen
Karine Mon coin lecture
Original post - in french - on my blog: http://moncoinlecture.over-blog.com/a...

When it comes to Doctor Books, let's say I'm not what you could call objective. I just read them and imagine the actor playing the scenes and and 14 years old again.

This story in particular would have been better suited for the screen. It's very, very visual and there's doubles involved. So it's kind of hard to maintain suspense.

I really liked the setting and the ideas. This Sebastiene character is interesting and
Jenevieve
Doctor Who novel with the 10th Doctor and Donna Noble as the companion. Sebastianne is the ruler of Planet 1 and has decided to add to his trophy collection the ultimate prize, The Doctor. He lays an elaborate trap and brings in the Society for Endangered Dangerous Species, a group of a dozen hunters that specialize in making dangerous species extinct. The game is set and the pieces in place but the one thing you never want to put in a trap is the Doctor.

I enjoyed the plot, nice twists and turns
Lizabeth Tucker
The Tenth Doctor and companion Donna Noble are lured to what appears to be a distress signal from Earth. It isn't long before the Tardis is stolen by a most familiar looking individual, an angry alien is tearing up Antarctica, and Donna is snatched away by a mysterious man called Sebastiene.

A rousing story that would've been better served on screen, simply because of the mixture of creatures and steampunk sensibilities. I guess I might be in the minority in that I felt sorry for the various robo
Nicholas Whyte
"http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/1296994.html?#cutid3[return][return]Like Stuart Burns, I began by expecting this book to be a derivative rejigging of Richard Connell's famous short story, 'The Most Dangerous Game', with the Doctor being pursued by trophy hunters who literally want his head, and like him I was pleased when my expectations were confounded a couple of chapters in and the narrative jumped into quite a different structure of real vs fake Doctors who might or might not know whether or ...more
Excalibur Snape
A plan within a plan within a plan in the mind of one insane man.
An insane man with a planet.
A planet with technology so advanced that it makes this man a god.
Throw in the doctor, his number one fan (stalker) and his companion Donna Noble and you have one bloody amazing read.
Donna is my favourite companion of doctor's out of all his companions.
Highly recommend this book out of the series.
To be honest I highly recommend all the books featuring the doctor and Donna.
Also recommend all the books wer
Angela
A rich man decides to hunt the Doctor, he uses the Doctors biggest fan to capture the TARDIS. This is a fun story, with the Doctor pretending to be someone else throughout most of it. I didnt think there was enough Donna in the book, this is the Doctors story. A good read.
I didn't get on with this one - which is a shame as Russell Tovey reads Doctor Who well (though it is hard to follow David Tennant as a reader of Tenth Doctor stories) I never quite got to grips with the plot and never quite cared that I couldn't.

The loathsome Sebastiene (voiced brilliantly by Tovey) is organising an event for big game hunters with the quarry as the last Time Lord himself, with companion Donna, as it seems, sequestered in a Travelodge bedroom for much of the action. Fortunately
Karen
The Doctor and Donna, Sebastiene, Baris, the Butler, and the hunters all on Planet 1. Will the Doctor and Donna survive? What do you think?
M
A very twisted story. I thought I could predict it easily, but in the end it just got so impossibly random that attempting to predict the outcome was futile. I mean: Oh, let's just build robot duplicates of ourselves! No matter that we've got an entire robot army descending on our heads. Rig them with explosives? Naturally! Tell Donna? No, of course not! She can find out when they suddenly explode and she thinks we're dead.
That was a bit heartless for someone with two hearts.
Other than that it
Siskoid Albert
Simon Messingham's The Doctor Trap is a kooky, crazy story I'd classify in the same vein as Love & Monsters, in which Sebastiene, the ruler of Planet 1, holds a hunt for the Doctor. If you thought L&M's commentary about fandom hit the nail a bit too hard on the head, you'll find this book sends it right through the wall. Both the humor and the jeopardy do work, however, and the book is full of surprises. Amidst the plot on overdrive, Messingham still finds a way to craft strong character ...more
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
There was a time or two I got very, very confused about what was going on in this book. But I want to think that's at least partially intentional, given how confusing the subject matter is.

Donna wasn't in it too much, as this was a very Doctor-centered novel (which I approve of), and the Doctor was very.. Doctor-y - of which I also approve.

If I were to compare this to the only other Doctor Who novel I have read so far (Doctor Who: Touched by an Angel), I would say this wasn't as good, but stil
Sara
Angie
boooooooooooooring!
Rebecca
This book was a bit too twisty-turny for me. Don't get me wrong, I can follow even the new crazy Moffat episodes of the show, but it was really hard to keep things straight in this story. The only real redeeming quality was Donna and the Doctor's respective attitudes at their best: Donna fighting all the way and the Doctor making witty remarks. Read it only if you are a diehard fan or are like me... I'm reading all the David Tennant books since I miss the 10th Doctor so much. ;)
Catherine
Not as good as Prisoner of the Daleks, but I still enjoyed it immensely, even if it led me on a merry dance most of the time (but I think that was part of the book's charm). I liked all of the characters in it and the development of some of them was great. Tis good when a book, especially a short one, can make you change your opinion of a character several times throughout, lol.

Loved it! Can't wait to start my next Who novel even if it is a Martha one :)
Aidan
The Doctor Trap is a fairly competent page turner in the range of Doctor Who tie-in novels but while it has some decent action sequences I did not find it to be either particularly moving or fascinating in its complicated plotting.

Messingham manages to capture the Ninth Doctor's tangents and energy and does give us a good take on what it means to be a fan but the story does little with Donna, trapping her in a travel inn for almost all of the book.
Justin Rees
Though it was not my favourite 10th Doctor novel, it was in no way disappointing. A very interesting concept mixed with good writing, and a nice grasp of the characters. I am not a huge fan of Doctor-Donna stories but this is one to be commended. If your looking for a fairly quick, engaging story from the David Tennant series this is definitely one to pick up.
Amanda
Sep 24, 2011 Amanda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amanda by: Lauren
A fun read that made me realize what marvelous companion Donna made. She was a little damsel-y at times, but her overall attitude and spunk were ever present. The story had some interesting twists and turns that were pretty well-explained by the end and unlike other current happenings in Who-verse I'm happy with where the story went and how it ended.
Sarah Trabert
Although I am a fan of the Doctor Who universe, this is the first book I've read and it let me down. Although the premise was very interesting, I feel that it was unnecessarily convoluted. Doctor Who isn't supposed to be simple, but I felt this author sat down to write a complex story for complexity's sake rather than to expand the Doctor's adventures.
Tracy
This was a rather interesting yet poorly written novel. I will concede that I have only watched a handful of Doctor Who episodes, most of them the 10th doctor, so I am not entirely familiar with the universe. But even not knowing the canon's quality, this book was really clumsily executed compared to anything else I've read. A pity.
  • Doctor Who: Shining Darkness
  • Doctor Who: The Eyeless
  • Doctor Who: Ghosts of India
  • Doctor Who: Snowglobe 7
  • Doctor Who: Martha in the Mirror (Doctor Who)
  • Doctor Who: Peacemaker
  • Doctor Who: The Taking of Chelsea 426
  • Doctor Who: Sick Building
  • Doctor Who: The Many Hands
  • Doctor Who: Sting of the Zygons
Doctor Who: The Day of the Troll (BBC Audio) Doctor Who: Tomb of Valdemar Doctor Who: The Face Eater Strange England Doctor Who: The Indestructible Man