Start by marking “What Is the Name of This Book?: The Riddle of Dracula and Other Logical Puzzles” as Want to Read:
What Is the Name of This Book?: The Riddle of Dracula and Other Logical Puzzles

What Is the Name of This Book?: The Riddle of Dracula and Other Logical Puzzles

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  364 ratings  ·  26 reviews
"The most original, most profound, and most humorous collection of recreational logic and math problems ever written." — Martin Gardner, Scientific American
"The value of the book lies in the wealth of ingenious puzzles. They afford amusement, vigorous exercise, and instruction." — Willard Van Orman Quine, The New York Times Book Review
If you're intrigued by puzzles and par
Published August 18th 2011 by Dover Publications (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about What Is the Name of This Book?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Is the Name of This Book?

Seth
Let's get the simple stuff out of the way: Yes, this is largely a book of Smullyan's well-known Knights and Knaves puzzles. However, it has a lot more.

Beginning and ending sections include jokes about logic and logicians that teach a huge amount about logic itself. A section in the back teaches about Godel's Theorem in a simple way anyone can understand (perhaps more elegantly than Hoftadter did, perhaps not). He gives a feeling for what logic is and why we understand it the way we do.

But back
Rene Stein
Konečně jsem před 14 dny v antikvariátu sehnal knížku "Jak se jmenuje tahle knížka", kterou asi mnozí znáte. Pro mě to byla novinka.
Sháněl jsem ji sice pro dcerku, protože po mně pořád chtěla nějaké hádanky a mně docházely nápady, ale sám jsem knihu teď po večerech zhltnul, a musím řict, že tuto knížku jsme měl fakt číst někdy v 11, kdy bych byl asi okouzlen třeba "triky" s implikací na ostrově poctivců a lhářů, nebo ohromen mocí ekvivalence, která je silnější než moc pomateného upíra Draculy. A
J.
A really excellent set of puzzles, for which I have only minor complaints: first, they tend to be easy, medium, or impossible. (I don't particularly enjoy the open-ended ones, like "what would you say." But I think it's just a time thing--if I can solve the problem in 2-5 minutes, that's just fun. If I have to put in REAL time, then I feel like I should be doing some actual work.) Also, the set of puzzles involving insane vs. sane, liars vs. truth-tellers I could never wrap my mind around. It's ...more
Michael Emond
Raymond Smullyan is - IMO - the most fun and creative logician who ever existed. I have always loved his books and this is no exception. It is one of his earlier ones and has a great mix of logic problems (Knights who tell the truth, Knaves who lie - sane and insane humans and vampires) as well as some talk about paradox and it concludes with his trying to make Godel's incompleteness theorem accessible to non-mathematicians.

Okay - for that last part he failed since I still don't understand it. A
Pat
Modi d'uso:
1 - Aprire il libro
2 - Risolvere gli enigmi
3 - Chiudere il libro al primo segnale di noia o nervosismo
Ripetere i passaggi 1, 2, e 3 a giorni alterni. Meglio se dispari.
Veselina
The book was OK, but I expected a different sort of logical puzzles. They were monotonous and sometimes boring. Some of the problems were complex and solving them was interesting to me, but I may not read another book with no story in it again.
Artoparto84
The Finnish translation had too many errors...
Whywhat
I am not a logical thinker by nature, yet I recognize that logic is a useful tool in practical everyday problem solving. This is why I hold this book in high regard. It is also refreshing to read something that deals with exact things. There is a certain kind of pleasure in achieving an end instead of getting lost in vague ideas, glimpses.
I only give it four due to the fact that it's a great tool, but it doesn't excite me or lead me to an exciting world. It's a refreshing and grounding activit
Serdar
Great introduction to logic puzzles by a man who made a lifelong career out of them.
Charlie Boucher
If you like riddles that are based on stupid wordplay then you'll like this. I expected it to be a series of logical tests that grew harder and harder, each one giving you a bit more information about the next and leading you to cracking a big mystery at the end. No such luck. Instead there are pages of historical anecdotes from the author and a number of irritating riddles that basically stink of smug. Ick.
Donnie Corrêa
This book was so much fun when I read it, that, by the time I had finished it I found the nerve to admmit: I'm a nerd. :)

But, seriously: If you like logic puzzles, you'll like this book for sure. Smullyan is a very funny author and all his works are permeated by his lighthearted spirit and creativity.
Ted
This book of logic puzzles twisted my mind in strange and bizarre ways, and I loved every second of it.

I only got a chance to do the first half of the puzzles before I had to return the book to the library, but I'll be buying my own copy when the new edition is released in August.
Michael
May 28, 2007 Michael rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: logic lovaz
Shelves: philosophy
Silly puzzles and riddles I used to do when I was a kid. I think they would still be a fantastic waste of time. If only I could go back and unfigure out the answers first...

I kept the book because sometimes people ask these types of questions during job interviews, btw.
Tomáš
Už jsem ji před lety jednou četl a vydržela mi na opravdu dlouho. Vynikající jako cvičení výrokové logiky i jako zábava pro laiky na dlouhé zimní večery.
Třeba se mi to bude hodit až někdy budu muset dokázat, že neexistuji. Pokud tedy nejsem lev a není pondělí...
Esteban
Aug 10, 2011 Esteban marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating book for all of us that love a good logic challenge.
Great book, nicely written and with that bit of humor that everyone could enjoy.

This is a nice book, one oldie but still a good reading.
DJ
Jun 15, 2009 DJ marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popular-math
recommended by Scott Aaronson when I asked if there had been any investigation into why truth is such a mathematically strange concept.
Swarner
Raymond Smullyan is my Logician Dumbledore. I own and read every book of his I can get my hands on. Which is well over a dozen.
Jeff
I was doing alright with the Knights and Knaves, but when they started forming clubs I got pretty lost.
Mike
Fairly well written with many good mind stretching puzzles, and a few relatively familiar ones.
Manjeet
It's monotonous and boring after few pages... Puzzles are in easy or medium category..
Timon Karnezos
His best puzzle book. Do one every day. EVERY DAY.
Antonio Martín
Brain trainning? Lets go to the olympic brainiac games.
Véronique
déprimant ce livre. on se sent idiots.
Philsy Denofrio
A trying test of logic.
Rachel Ayers
Whew, that was a doozy.
'rik
Entertaining logic puzzles.
Owen Morton
Owen Morton marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Paolo
Paolo is currently reading it
Jan 26, 2015
Chaele
Chaele marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Minal
Minal marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Historical romance 1 4 Aug 04, 2013 06:03PM
I can't remember the name! 1 6 Jun 17, 2012 03:28PM
  • Aha! Gotcha: Paradoxes to Puzzle & Delight (Tools for Transformation)
  • Where Mathematics Come From: How the Embodied Mind Brings Mathematics into Being
  • Fluid Concepts and Creative Analogies
  • A Mathematician's Lament: How School Cheats Us Out of Our Most Fascinating and Imaginative Art Form
  • Logic: An Introduction to Elementary Logic
  • Conceptual Mathematics: A First Introduction To Categories
  • Symmetry: A Journey into the Patterns of Nature
  • Proofs from THE BOOK
  • 1000 Places to See Before You Die Traveler's Journal (Travel Journal)
  • Labyrinths of Reason: Paradox, Puzzles and the Frailty of Knowledge
  • Around the Corner Crochet Borders: 150 Colorful, Creative Edging Designs with Charts and Instructions for Turning the Corner Perfectly Every Time
  • Men of Mathematics
  • Probability Theory: The Logic of Science
  • My Brain is Open: The Mathematical Journeys of Paul Erdos
  • Paradoxes
  • Thinking Physics: Understandable Practical Reality
  • Stray Sock Sewing: Making One of a Kind Creatures from Socks
  • Euler: The Master of Us All (Dolciani Mathematical Expositions, No 22)
Raymond M. Smullyan is a logician, musician, Zen master, puzzle master, and writer.
More about Raymond M. Smullyan...
The Tao Is Silent Lady or the Tiger? And Other Logic Puzzles Including a Mathematical Novel That Features Gödel's Great Discovery To Mock a Mockingbird and Other Logic Puzzles Chess Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes: Fifty Tantalizing Problems of Chess Detection The Riddle of Scheherazade: And Other Amazing Puzzles