Start by marking “What Is the Name of This Book?: The Riddle of Dracula and Other Logical Puzzles” as Want to Read:
What Is the Name of This Book?: The Riddle of Dracula and Other Logical Puzzles

What Is the Name of This Book?: The Riddle of Dracula and Other Logical Puzzles

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  482 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
"The most original, most profound, and most humorous collection of recreational logic and math problems ever written." — Martin Gardner, Scientific American
"The value of the book lies in the wealth of ingenious puzzles. They afford amusement, vigorous exercise, and instruction." — Willard Van Orman Quine, The New York Times Book Review
If you're intrigued by puzzles and par
Published August 18th 2011 by Dover Publications (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about What Is the Name of This Book?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Is the Name of This Book?

Nandakishore Varma
I first read about Smullyan in one of Martin Gardner's books of mathematical puzzles. I'm a fool for torturing my brain with convoluted conundrums, so when I found a copy, I was overjoyed. I devoured it in a week, and was not disappointed.

This book contains Smullyan's famous logic puzzles about knights (who always say the truth) and knaves (who always lie) and all interesting combinations thereof. Apart from providing intellectual fixes for maths junkies, this book actually teaches logic through
Seth
Let's get the simple stuff out of the way: Yes, this is largely a book of Smullyan's well-known Knights and Knaves puzzles. However, it has a lot more.

Beginning and ending sections include jokes about logic and logicians that teach a huge amount about logic itself. A section in the back teaches about Godel's Theorem in a simple way anyone can understand (perhaps more elegantly than Hoftadter did, perhaps not). He gives a feeling for what logic is and why we understand it the way we do.

But back
Rene Stein
Oct 06, 2014 Rene Stein rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Konečně jsem před 14 dny v antikvariátu sehnal knížku "Jak se jmenuje tahle knížka", kterou asi mnozí znáte. Pro mě to byla novinka.
Sháněl jsem ji sice pro dcerku, protože po mně pořád chtěla nějaké hádanky a mně docházely nápady, ale sám jsem knihu teď po večerech zhltnul, a musím řict, že tuto knížku jsme měl fakt číst někdy v 11, kdy bych byl asi okouzlen třeba "triky" s implikací na ostrově poctivců a lhářů, nebo ohromen mocí ekvivalence, která je silnější než moc pomateného upíra Draculy. A
J.
May 17, 2012 J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really excellent set of puzzles, for which I have only minor complaints: first, they tend to be easy, medium, or impossible. (I don't particularly enjoy the open-ended ones, like "what would you say." But I think it's just a time thing--if I can solve the problem in 2-5 minutes, that's just fun. If I have to put in REAL time, then I feel like I should be doing some actual work.) Also, the set of puzzles involving insane vs. sane, liars vs. truth-tellers I could never wrap my mind around. It's ...more
Michael Emond
Nov 14, 2014 Michael Emond rated it really liked it
Raymond Smullyan is - IMO - the most fun and creative logician who ever existed. I have always loved his books and this is no exception. It is one of his earlier ones and has a great mix of logic problems (Knights who tell the truth, Knaves who lie - sane and insane humans and vampires) as well as some talk about paradox and it concludes with his trying to make Godel's incompleteness theorem accessible to non-mathematicians.

Okay - for that last part he failed since I still don't understand it. A
Ren
Apr 26, 2015 Ren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent introduction to logic, written in the form of puzzles. Unfortunately, my copy had too many translation errors and some sections (especially the bit about vampires/humans and "believing" stuff) were just impossible to decipher. So the biggest riddle is: did the author explain it badly or did the translator muddle it up? (Given the amount of corrections I've scribbled in the margins, I'll give professor Smullyan the benefit of doubt...) I'd love to read it in English, so maybe I'll fi ...more
Dimitris Hall
In this popular puzzle, a man has committed a crime punishable by death. He is to make a statement. If the statement is true, he is to be drowned; if the statement is false, he is to be hanged. What statement should he make to confound his executioner?

I got this book after reading The Tao Is Silent and deciding that Mr. Raymond Smullyan must be one of my favourite people out there. A logician, a magician, a pianist, a Taoist and a mathematician? (it rhymes!)

What Is The Name Of This Book? (link
Jim Razinha
Feb 18, 2016 Jim Razinha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful book of logic puzzles mentioned by Martin Gardner in his Penrose Tiles to Trapdoor Ciphers and the Return of Dr. Matrix. I checked OpenLibrary.org (awesome resource!) and downloaded/borrowed a copy. Kept me company on a flight from Dalkas to New York while the guy behind never stopped talking the entire trip. Talking loudly. But this was as I said, delightful.
James Miller
Feb 07, 2016 James Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I use this to set logical puzzles to my Philosophy Students at school and it is excellent for that with a good range of difficulties. Some need updating in language (do we refer to people as normals?; some gender ideas implicit are not of the 21st Century), but there is no difficulty in tweaking casket for pirate's chest etc.
Víctor Arturo Mercado Fernández
No es el mejor libro de introducción a la lógica que he leído, inicia de una manera amena pero en la medida que va avanzando el desarrollo del libro se vuelve monótono y algunas partes repetitivas.
Liam
Jun 13, 2015 Liam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book start gently but quickly escalates in difficulty, however it is always written with very careful consideration of the beginners view of things. Some sentences need to be re-read 10, 20 times, but the resources are there for you to understand the concepts presented, so long as one is careful and patient. Using vivid imaginative scenarios (Alice, Tweedle Dee, Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Doo; islands of Knights and Knaves; islands of insane vampires and sane vampires) Smullyan builds up the e ...more
Pat
Dec 10, 2014 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Modi d'uso:
1 - Aprire il libro
2 - Risolvere gli enigmi
3 - Chiudere il libro al primo segnale di noia o nervosismo
Ripetere i passaggi 1, 2, e 3 a giorni alterni. Meglio se dispari.
Tonći Tomić
Možda je u vrijeme kad je izašla, ova knjiga bila cool. Nažalost, do danas su sve ove zagonetke po sto puta prežvakane.
Artoparto84
Jan 01, 2015 Artoparto84 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Finnish translation had too many errors...
Whywhat
Jul 08, 2012 Whywhat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a logical thinker by nature, yet I recognize that logic is a useful tool in practical everyday problem solving. This is why I hold this book in high regard. It is also refreshing to read something that deals with exact things. There is a certain kind of pleasure in achieving an end instead of getting lost in vague ideas, glimpses.
I only give it four due to the fact that it's a great tool, but it doesn't excite me or lead me to an exciting world. It's a refreshing and grounding activit
Anshuman
Feb 16, 2015 Anshuman marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
good
Serdar
Jan 26, 2014 Serdar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction to logic puzzles by a man who made a lifelong career out of them.
Melusine Parry
more puzzles, more riddles, amazing
Charlie Boucher
Jul 23, 2013 Charlie Boucher rated it did not like it
Shelves: tripe
If you like riddles that are based on stupid wordplay then you'll like this. I expected it to be a series of logical tests that grew harder and harder, each one giving you a bit more information about the next and leading you to cracking a big mystery at the end. No such luck. Instead there are pages of historical anecdotes from the author and a number of irritating riddles that basically stink of smug. Ick.
Donnie Corrêa
May 06, 2011 Donnie Corrêa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so much fun when I read it, that, by the time I had finished it I found the nerve to admmit: I'm a nerd. :)

But, seriously: If you like logic puzzles, you'll like this book for sure. Smullyan is a very funny author and all his works are permeated by his lighthearted spirit and creativity.
Ted
Jul 24, 2011 Ted rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
This book of logic puzzles twisted my mind in strange and bizarre ways, and I loved every second of it.

I only got a chance to do the first half of the puzzles before I had to return the book to the library, but I'll be buying my own copy when the new edition is released in August.
Michael
May 28, 2007 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: logic lovaz
Shelves: philosophy
Silly puzzles and riddles I used to do when I was a kid. I think they would still be a fantastic waste of time. If only I could go back and unfigure out the answers first...

I kept the book because sometimes people ask these types of questions during job interviews, btw.
Tomáš
Nov 01, 2012 Tomáš rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Už jsem ji před lety jednou četl a vydržela mi na opravdu dlouho. Vynikající jako cvičení výrokové logiky i jako zábava pro laiky na dlouhé zimní večery.
Třeba se mi to bude hodit až někdy budu muset dokázat, že neexistuji. Pokud tedy nejsem lev a není pondělí...
Veselina
The book was OK, but I expected a different sort of logical puzzles. They were monotonous and sometimes boring. Some of the problems were complex and solving them was interesting to me, but I may not read another book with no story in it again.
Esteban
Aug 10, 2011 Esteban marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating book for all of us that love a good logic challenge.
Great book, nicely written and with that bit of humor that everyone could enjoy.

This is a nice book, one oldie but still a good reading.
DJ
Jun 15, 2009 DJ marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popular-math
recommended by Scott Aaronson when I asked if there had been any investigation into why truth is such a mathematically strange concept.
Swarner
Jan 07, 2011 Swarner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Raymond Smullyan is my Logician Dumbledore. I own and read every book of his I can get my hands on. Which is well over a dozen.
Jeff
Nov 24, 2008 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was doing alright with the Knights and Knaves, but when they started forming clubs I got pretty lost.
Mike
Mar 06, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairly well written with many good mind stretching puzzles, and a few relatively familiar ones.
Manjeet
It's monotonous and boring after few pages... Puzzles are in easy or medium category..
I can't remember a title of a book! Please help! 1 1 Apr 06, 2016 05:19PM
Historical romance 1 6 Aug 04, 2013 06:03PM
I can't remember the name! 1 8 Jun 17, 2012 03:28PM
  • Aha! Gotcha: Paradoxes to Puzzle & Delight (Tools for Transformation)
  • Conceptual Mathematics: A First Introduction To Categories
  • Fluid Concepts and Creative Analogies
  • Moomins Cookbook: An Introduction to Finnish Cuisine
  • Where Mathematics Come From: How the Embodied Mind Brings Mathematics into Being
  • Around the Corner Crochet Borders: 150 Colorful, Creative Edging Designs with Charts and Instructions for Turning the Corner Perfectly Every Time
  • Logic: An Introduction to Elementary Logic
  • Basic Category Theory for Computer Scientists
  • 1000 Places to See Before You Die Traveler's Journal (Travel Journal)
  • A Mathematician's Lament: How School Cheats Us Out of Our Most Fascinating and Imaginative Art Form
  • Symmetry: A Journey into the Patterns of Nature
  • On Numbers and Games
  • Labyrinths of Reason: Paradox, Puzzles and the Frailty of Knowledge
  • Stray Sock Sewing: Making One of a Kind Creatures from Socks
  • My Brain is Open: The Mathematical Journeys of Paul Erdos
  • Maria & José
  • Linear Algebra Done Right
  • Paradoxes
Raymond M. Smullyan is a logician, musician, Zen master, puzzle master, and writer.
More about Raymond M. Smullyan...