Start by marking “Discipline Without Distress: 135 Tools for Raising Caring, Responsible Children Without Time-Out, Spanking, Punishment, or Bribery” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  89 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Offering practical tips, strategies, skills, and ideas for parents of babies through teenagers, this title tells you what to do 'in the moment' for different types of behaviours, from whining to web surfing. It includes 50 charts of the most common behaviour problems and the tools to handle them respectfully.
Published March 1st 2007 by Professional Parenting Canada

To ask other readers questions about Discipline Without Distress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Discipline Without Distress

Jenni Pertuset
Dec 01, 2009 Jenni Pertuset rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
Not a cover-to-cover read, but a troubleshooting guide. A decent resource, especially for parents looking for ideas to transition from authoritarian parenting of their own childhood or the mainstream reward & punishment parenting to more attachment-focused discipline.
Taryn
Aug 11, 2009 Taryn rated it did not like it
I thought this book was pretty worthless. Aside from a fairly interesting section on child psychology, she doesn't really say anything of any use whatsoever. She mostly keeps repeating that spanking and punishment don't work but doesn't really give any really specific tools to use as discipline.
Plus, there is a whole section in the back that she spends justifying why children should be allowed to watch tv and play video games (yikes!) and actually mentions several times throughout the book how s
Aspasia
Feb 20, 2011 Aspasia rated it really liked it
Great approaches to parenting, discipline, and positive reinforcement. Although I read this for a book club I'm sure I'll refer to it over and over again. Covers birth through age 19.

Warning: This is a self-published book with some grammatical and spelling errors. Be forewarned!
Marcia Carr
Aug 20, 2013 Marcia Carr rated it liked it
some good ideas...too lenient in some areas for my liking...ie she says in one part that she put away all competitive games including board games during the ages of 3-7 because children aren't good at losing and it's too frustrating for them...Hello that's why you play games, as an opportunity to teach.turn taking and how not to be a sore loser. Should we not play tag, because heaven forbid we get caught. I just have higher expectations...she basically doesn't want to make children uncomfortable ...more
Raji
Oct 14, 2011 Raji rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting-books
I really liked the review of this book and interview with the author in the lastest API newsletter so bought the book. Is definitely a very AP book and most mainstreamers will roll their eyeballs at it. This is not for them! I have read most of it and it resonates with me. Sometimes easier said than done, to follow precisely, but it is something to strive for. Thankfully I have been blessed with children who do not test me often. This book reminds me that when they do, there is an underlying ...more
Michelle
Jan 22, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing
While no parenting book can please everyone, this one is my go-to. I believe in peaceful parenting: kids should be treated respectfully and given loving, secure, stable homes. I believe my role is not only to nurture, but to build a self-reliant child who's responsible and capable of tasks fitting his age.

Fans of Dr. Sears and attachment parenting will get the message of this book right off the bat.

If you are just looking to add to your list of strategies or understand child development a little
Erin
Apr 08, 2016 Erin rated it really liked it
I did like this book. I am not sure if I got the whole 135 tools. I thought she brought up some good not so common common sense ideas. I think I can sum it up in every kid is different and don't be a hypocrite. Like any book of this nature it was of course repetitive...that is to be expected. She frequently brings up anecdotal evidence so not a lot of real research. Even though I am sure this sounds like a negative review, I do think she had some good ideas.
Kflikkema
Apr 06, 2010 Kflikkema rated it it was amazing
This book reinforced my beliefs and encouraged me to continue with the parenting practices that made sense to me. It also helped me to discover where some of my own personal issues stem from - the way I was disciplined as a child - and has helped me on my personal healing journey.
Gervy
Dec 21, 2013 Gervy rated it liked it
Shelves: improving, rl, parenting
Despite the fact it's taken me most of the year to get through this - parenting books don't tend to be page-turners - I did find this useful. It's full of mostly practical strategies for disciplining/teaching children and I expect to refer to it again.
Cat
Apr 13, 2011 Cat rated it really liked it
Got some ideas from this book. I find these kind of books I pick and choose what seems to make sense and what suits our family. Like I said I found some useful ideas in this one and would recommend it as useful to anyone struggling with parenting and discipline.
K
Jun 19, 2010 K rated it really liked it
I loved the information on anger, both children's anger (to help remind me) and parental anger. Definitely read this book at the right time.
Sarah Robertson-Bailer
Sarah Robertson-Bailer rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2010
Stacy
Stacy rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Marissa
Marissa rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2016
Kel Szydagis
Kel Szydagis rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2015
Chrissy
Chrissy rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2012
Holly
Holly rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2014
Holly Brewster
Holly Brewster rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2010
Christina Cardillo
Christina Cardillo rated it it was ok
Nov 03, 2016
Morgan Chapman
Morgan Chapman rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2014
Merylkate
Merylkate rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2014
fMh Artemis
fMh Artemis rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2009
Christa
Christa rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2012
Eleni
Eleni rated it it was ok
Aug 27, 2016
Tran Hai
Tran Hai rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2015
Kyle
Kyle rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2014
Marcia
Marcia rated it it was ok
Feb 13, 2013
Bec
Bec rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves
  • Attached at the Heart: 8 Proven Parenting Principles for Raising Connected and Compassionate Children
  • Calm and Compassionate Children: A Handbook
  • Steady Days: A Journey Toward Intentional, Professional Motherhood
  • Heaven on Earth: A Handbook for Parents of Young Children
  • Playful Parenting
  • Connection Parenting: Parenting Through Connection Instead of Coercion, Through Love Instead of Fear
  • Hold On to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers
  • The No-Cry Potty Training Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Child Say Good-Bye to Diapers
  • Playful Learning: Develop Your Child's Sense of Joy and Wonder
  • Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parent's Guide: How to Make Safe, Sensible Decisions about the Risks, Benefits, and Alternatives
  • The Book of New Family Traditions: How to Create Great Rituals for Holidays and Every Day
  • The Aware Baby
  • Just Tell Me What to Say: Sensible Tips and Scripts for Perplexed Parents
  • Adventures in Gentle Discipline: A Parent-to-Parent Guide (La Leche League International Book)
  • Teach Me to Do It Myself: Montessori Activities for You and Your Child
  • Unconditional Parenting: Moving from Rewards and Punishments to Love and Reason
  • Living Simply with Children: A Voluntary Simplicity Guide for Moms, Dads, and Kids Who Want to Reclaim the Bliss of Childhood and the Joy of Parenting

Judy Arnall, BA, CCFE, DTM is an international award winning professional speaker and a well-known Canadian parenting expert, having given advice for television interviews on CBC, CTV, and Global as well as publications such as Chatelaine, Today’s Parent, Canadian Living, Parents magazine, and newspapers including The Globe and Mail, Sun Media and Postmedia News.

She has taught family communicatio
More about Judy Arnall...