Start by marking “In the Shadow of the Master: Classic Tales by Edgar Allan Poe and Essays by Jeffery Deaver, Nelson DeMille, Tess Gerritsen, Sue Grafton, Stephen King, Laura Lippman, Lisa Scottoline, and Thirteen Others” as Want to Read:

In the Shadow of the Master: Classic Tales by Edgar Allan Poe and Essays by Jeffery Deaver, Nelson DeMille, Tess Gerritsen, Sue Grafton, Stephen King, Laura Lippman, Lisa Scottoline, and Thirteen Others (Mystery Writers of America Anthology)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  422 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
“A wonderful treat for the Poe connoisseur, or a perfect introduction to his works.”
Charlotte Observer

In the Shadow of the Master is an exceptional collection of classic stories from the lord of literary darkness himself—the inimitable Edgar Allan Poe—accompanied by enthralling essays from twenty of his bestselling acolytes and admirers. With appreciations by Michael Conn
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about In the Shadow of the Master, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Shadow of the Master

Jonathan
Edgar Allan Poe has become one of my personal favourite authors after I read this stunning compilation featuring from amongst Poe's greatest works. This includes my personal favourites: The Tell Tale Heart, The Masque of the Red Death, The Raven and The Pit and the Pendulum. Add to that essays by writers influenced by Poe's genius and this compilation becomes a must for any classic literature lover.

The one reason I love Poe's writing so much is because he was a poet and also a writer of prose.
Elizabeth K.
So I was thinking I enjoyed this book a lot. I think it's clearly established that Edgar Allan Poe is a master of story-telling suspense, and I always like returning to my favorites. And the book itself is superb, it has a nice retro look to it and features the Harry Clarke illustrations, which seriously bump up the already high creepy factor of the stories significantly.

But the shtick of this particular edition of Poe stories is what didn't really work for me. It's put out the Mystery Writers o
Steve Goble
I would like to have rated this volume, produced by the Mystery Writers of America in celebration of of Poe's 200th birthday, with more stars. It is a good collection, but overall I think the book squandered some opportunities. The stories included are largely the ones we have all read, like "The Tell-Tale Heart" and "The Black Cat," although I applaud the inclusion of "William Wilson," a story not anthologized as often as the others.

The real shortcoming, though, is in the brief essays intersper
Meaghan
I had an urge to read some Poe and this was on the shelf at the library, so I grabbed it! It's a pretty good selection of Poe's short stories, a couple of poems ("The Raven" and "The Bells"), and an excerpt from The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket, which I kind of wish they hadn't included because really, why bother including a short portion of a longer work when Poe wrote so many good shorter pieces? My favourite stories were some of the ones I had already read: "The Cask of Amontil ...more
Barrett
currently reading in preparation for an upcoming trip to Baltimore. seems only fitting. and before anyone asks, yes, i have read some Poe before, in HS (Cask Of Amontilldo, The Raven, The Tell-Tale Heart) and all seriously creeped me out. so i'm doubly intrigued as to how that opinion might've changed over time.

021011: skipped one or two of the stories in there, but so far i've read William Wilson, The Black Cat, The Cask of Amontialldo, The Tell-Tale Heart, Ligeia, The Fall of the House of Ush
blakeR
A nice enough -- though far from vital -- collection of Poe's greatest hits. The hook is that editor Michael Connelly recruited a couple handfuls of modern authors to write blurbs after each story. Stephen King and Sue Grafton are the headliners while the others are probably known only to fans of modern mysteries and thrillers.

Given the hook, the main disappointment of the volume is just how vacuous most of these blurbs are, with few of them having anything to say beyond, "Wow I remember how sc
Cheryl
I've loved Edgar Allan Poe since the first time I read The Raven. I think I was all of 10 at the time and while I didn't understand much of it, I was hooked. There was something about the raven, at first maybe a comfort and then becoming something sinister, at least that was how I saw it the first time.

The last story, was totally new to me and I loved how much it scared me, no horrified me.

Reading how he impacted other writers was cool and there were things mentioned that I didn't know either a
Ben
As most of the contributing mystery writers take care to mention in their essays in this book, much has already been written about Poe and I will merely echo a few sentiments. I’m not sure the last time I read Poe material, perhaps in high school. The Murders in the Rue Morgue made the greatest impression on me for its grisliness and reminder of Sherlock Holmes; and I’d never thought about the fact that Poe preceded Sir Arthur Conan Doyle until now. That is a common theme among the contributing ...more
Kathy
Nov 27, 2009 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: haveread
I remember reading The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe and I had heard of the Tell-Tale Heart. However, I don't remember ever being and Edgar Allen Poe fan. Being a Michael Connelly fan, however, I had downloaded anything related to Michael Connelly to my Kindle. This book, In the Shadow of the Master, is a collection of Edgar Allan Poe stories. Each one is followed by a reflection by a contemporary author who has won an Edgar award. The Edgar award recognizes mystery writers.

At first, I didn't want t
Mary Grossnickle
I decided to read this book not because I'm a big fan of Poe, but because the commentaries are written by some of my favorite authors. It was fun to see what they had to say about Poe. The book includes some commonly known Poe stories, and some I hadn't read before. The commentaries help you appreciate Poe's genius. Not a page-turner, but a great read!
David Hobbs
yeah i get it and no i dont. Found out the difference between a "hard" read and "easy" reading. You need dictionary.com to read Poe. He is considered the genius father of mystery, but he, to me is kind of a big word gunslinger of mediocre storytelling.
Lisa
Oct 25, 2010 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just don't get Poe. I started out reading the first two stories in this book - The Cask of Amontillado and A Descent into the Maelstrom - and I didn't get them at all. The commentary afterwards by famous mystery writers helped, but not enough. I had to go online and get summaries that explained these two stories. I figured if I had to do this with every story in this book, it was too much work and not worth it. So then I skipped to his two most famous stories, A Tell-Tale Heart and The Raven. ...more
Amy
Jan 29, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ended up liking this more than I thought I would. When I started reading, I wasn't in a good "Poe" moment. Something had happened, I think I learned something depressing in real life and I couldn't handle reading this for a while. When the book was finally due at the library and I had one last day to read it and I found I couldn't put it down.

I thought I was familiar with all of Poe's work, but this book showed me the holes in my repertoire. I need to get a better collection of his stories! Pl
Hillary
*SPOLIER* I only read the essays found in this book instead of Poe's work. So, please don't kill me! I really love Poe and I just wanted to see what other writers thought of Poe.
Myra
Feb 06, 2014 Myra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating based on the essays, not on the Poe works. Edgar Award winners write on Poe and his influence. Some essays were quite interesting and insightful. Others, not so much.
Becky Churchman
Mar 15, 2016 Becky Churchman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love Poe. I'm so totally biased! This compilation has many of the stories found in other anthologies. What's neat about this particular book is that it was put together for Poe's 200th birthday (woo-hoo!). It contains numerous essays written by today's current mystery writers (King, Grafton, etc.). Kinda cool to see how Poe influenced them.
Holly
Nov 15, 2014 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really great collection of Poe's work. I love how there are essays in between each story/poem from modern mystery writers. It's not all of Poe's work, but it's definitely a great assortment. And Poe's stories themselves are just brilliant. I highly recommend this one!
Meagan
May 25, 2009 Meagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for those who think they know Poe, but upon reflection realize they've only really Heard about Poe or talked about what others think of Poe.
In other words both the works by Poe and the essays by the authors in between are amazingly worth your time. The essays say all there is to really be said, I think, Scholarly guesses be damned.
Poe did steal all the ideas didn't he? He is memorable isn't he? And more so he is versatile in a way I never knew.
Manuela Cavallaro
Il voto non va ai bellissimi scritti di Poe, quanto ai commenti correlati dei vari scrittori americani...non lasciano nulla e non dicono niente. Volume consigliato solo ai super ammiratori di Poe, anche se esistono libri migliori di questo.
Michelle
A collection of Edgar Allen Poe short stories and poetry each followed by commentary from a current leading mystery/thriller writer. I read this book slowly and really enjoyed Poe's stories far more than I imagined I would. The follow ups to each story were amusing and added some levity to Poe's macabre writing.
Cliff Bumgardner
Mar 01, 2013 Cliff Bumgardner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: partially-read
Have read "The Tell-Tale Heart" and "The Gold-Bug." Classics, certainly, but I find the essays and info about Poe's life to be even more interesting. It's kind of disheartening how some of the greatest writers in history (Poe, Lovecraft, Dickinson) weren't appreciated until years after their death.
Lonny Lee
Apr 25, 2016 Lonny Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this edition of Edgar's short stories due to the commentaries of the other Authors. I could appreciate the point of view of other reader/authors as well as look for parts mentioned in the stories and how they related to Poe. It is also nice to revisit a classic.
Jesse Zellmer
Awesome literature from the great Edgar Allen Poe. Anyone who likes the supernatural horror genre and related genres should read this book or at least something else by Poe. The other authors and essays add a nice modern touch to this book.
Margaret
The Poe stories are, of course, fantastic; the mystery writers' responses are, mostly, comprehensible. I like that this volume contains some stories that are slightly more obscure, like "A Descent into the Maelström" and "Ligeia".
Jaime Contreras
Aug 01, 2013 Jaime Contreras rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Horror when horror was a respected literary form. Yes, there are tales that are lurid but extremely well-written. This is a wonderful collection of classic horror tales by some of the best writers - not just horror writers.
rochejad
I loved the book. Edgar Allan Poe is a great writer. He has his own style and i was enthralled by his stories. Very riveting. The essays by some of the authors are also great. Most of it are hilarious. It's an awesome read.
Paulina Sanchez
Jun 30, 2016 Paulina Sanchez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

What an excellent way to read Poe, having other horror and mystery writers comment on how Poe influenced them after each Poe story or poem was quite the treat :)
Sabrina Monet
I enjoyed reading through some of my favorite tales and discovering ones I hadn't read. I also enjoyed reading the essays on Poe, two of my favorites being by King and Grafton.
Elisa
Aug 14, 2009 Elisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i love EAP and this book commemorates his 200th birthday with shorts stories by other mystery writers plus a collection of his famous and not as well known stories.
Angela Harnish
I started reading this book a while ago and got reading a different book when I was part way through this one. Just finished the last 30 pages today.
  • Great Short Works
  • Father Brown: The Essential Tales
  • Classic Mystery Collection (100+ books and stories)
  • The Horror! The Horror!: Comic Books the Government Didn't Want You to Read!
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2010
  • Poe: 19 New Tales of Suspense, Dark Fantasy, and Horror Inspired by Edgar Allan Poe
  • Beyond Blue: Surviving  Depression & Anxiety and Making the Most of Bad Genes
  • Peter Pan and Other Plays: The Admirable Crichton; Peter Pan; When Wendy Grew Up; What Every Woman Knows; Mary Rose
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 1998
  • Baltimore Noir
  • Descent into Dust (Emma Andrews #1)
  • Murder by Artifact: The Mystery Quilt (Theo and Tony Abernathy Mystery, #2)
  • Nocturne: And Other Unabridged Twisted Stories
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2004
  • Decide: Work Smarter, Reduce Your Stress and Lead by Example
  • In Rough Country: Essays and Reviews
  • The Dain Curse, The Glass Key, and Selected Stories
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2001
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache
More about Michael Connelly...

Mystery Writers of America Anthology (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • 20 Great Tales of Murder
  • Maiden Murders
  • Crime for Two
  • Dolls Are Murder : a Mystery Writers of America Anthology
  • For love or money : the 1957 anthology of the Mystery Writers of America
  • The Lethal Sex: the 1959 anthology of the mystery writers of America
  • Tales for a Rainy Night The (14th Mystery Writers of America Anthology)
  • Cream of the crime
  • A Pride of Felons: twenty stories by the members of the Mystery Writers of America
  • Crimes Across the Sea: The 19th Annual Anthology of the Mystery Writers of America