Start by marking “Gotico americano ” as Want to Read:
Gotico americano

Gotico americano

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Dall'autore di "Psycho", un racconto gotico sospeso tra passato e presente. Chicago: un castello dalle pareti che nascondono passaggi segreti, stanze proibite e laboratori privati. Il castello è la dimora del dottor G. Gordon Gregg, un assassino farmacista. Le sue vittime sono donne giovani e belle. I suoi metodi sono scientifici e indolori, i suoi crimini perfetti... fino ...more
Hardcover, la biblioteca del brivido, 182 pages
Published December 1994 by Fabbri Editore (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Gotico americano, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gotico americano

stormhawk
Fictionalized account of the story of HH Holmes, which is more completely told in The Devil in the White City Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson. Bloch turns the story into somewhat less of an adventure than the truth, by adding a plucky, inquisitive, young, female journalist, quite in tune with the mid-1970s in which the book was published, but out of place in the 1890s in which the book is set, turning the villain into a more Blackbeard-ish character. A ...more
Brian
I had no idea. I recently finished the non-fiction book The Devil in the White City, which is about the Columbian Exposition of 1893 set against the doings of serial killer H. H. Holmes, and, at the time, I thought that was the end of it. But I was looking for a book to read yesterday and my hand went to American Gothic. I didn't bother to read the blurb, just started reading. Within four pages: "The castle," "Chicago," "G. Gordon Gregg" -- well, I was hooked.

Bloch, of course, takes a number of
Erin ㋡ is in a reviewing slump
I try to collect Bloch books when I can. If you don't already know, he's best known for writing the bestselling novel, Psycho, later turned into the unforgettable movie by Hitchcock. A lot of his work is very good, as his writing style is simple to read but strangely creative at the same time.

American Gothic is nowhere as fortunate in the talent department as Psycho was, or actually as decent as his other works. Based on the H.H. Holmes murders in the turn of the century Chicago, the novel stays
Roberta
Tanner
I try not to give 5 stars, but I was impressed. I liked the use of a strong willed heroine, which was rare in Bloch's time of writing. But not uncommon for Bloch (Lila Crane, Elinor Harris, Lori Holmes, and possibly Diana Rideaux and Daisy.)
Jessica Hamburger
I couldn't hate G. Gordon Gregg and I didn't find him charming either. Crystal is one-dimensional, Jim is boring and I didn't care that he lost his job. The ending wasn't built up and dramatic as I was hoping. All in all, it was okay.
Brenda Hicks
Creepy read by the author of Psycho. Based on the true life story of HH Holmes who authorities speculate could have murdered, dissected and burned or buried over 200 victims during the Chicago Columbian Exposition. Gonna have to read some cowboy poetry now to get these images out of my head, dangit.
alex
This was actually a light, breezy read. The story isn't great but it is interesting enough, and it moves quickly enough to propel the reader through it. Disappointingly sexist in some aspects (that aren't related to the fact that it's set in the late 1800s). What is really fascinating and isn't revealed until the novel is finished is that it is based on a true story.
alessandra falca
Un impostazione classica: un castello, omicidi, mistero. Bellino ma nient'altro. A tratti aveva delle cadute di tono. Bloch è colui che ha scritto Psycho che poi Mr. Hitchcock ha trasmutato in film. "Gotico Americano" è anche un dipinto di Grant Wood famosissimo. La storia che viene narrata è quasi tutta vera. Bellino ma non appassionante.
Rebecca
I was not a huge fan. However, I really never felt like putting this book down. It was tritely eerie and enticingly predictable. It reinforced my whole serial killer concern... Stay away from the seemingly harmless and the devilishly charming ones girlfriend.
Crystal
I got bored in the $1.00 store one day when I was around 12 years old and picked up this book to buy. To my surprise, I really liked it. I plan to read it again sometime soon since that was so long ago. I'd like to refresh my memory on it.
Allie
This novel was based on a true story (the same story Devil in the White City was based on). The whole thing was predictable and not written as well as Bloch's other novels. Although, maybe some of my dislike came from already knowing the story.
Alex
Based on the chicago worlds fair murder spree of the late 1800s, I am almost done reading it. Solid book, written in 1974could hold its own against modern literature.

If you like a well written psycho thriller, worth the 222pages.
Amy Bugbee
This is the fictionalized account of HH Holmes, who I would say rates as one of the worst human beings to ever walk the Earth. He killed hundreds, if not thousands back in the late 19th century, mostly in Chicago.
David
Terrific, short novel. I read the first page and couldn't put it down. It's based on the same case as The Devil in the White City. America's first serial killer, H.H. Holmes.
Nikki
I really expected to love this book, but it just whetted my appetite for Psycho and the Devil in the White City.
Nenia Campbell
This Is Halloween '12 Challenge #2

As I was reading American Gothic, I thought to myself, "I've read this EXACT SAME STORY somewhere else before."

It turns out I was right, but more on that in a bit.

I can see why American Gothic has sunken into obscurity. It's a story about G. G. Gregg, a charming chemist with a penchant for gambling and a taste for murder. Gregg is a black widower- he kills his wives, and the woman who work for him, inside a large, gothic castle that has all the people talking. T
Amy
Enjoyable. Loosely based on H.H. Holmes (Herman Mudgett).
Ashley F.
Very creepy and suspenseful. A great read!
George Papachristodoulou
George Papachristodoulou marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
N3er4
N3er4 marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Wicho
Wicho marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Chelsey
Chelsey marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Evans Light
Evans Light marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Lydia Jasper
Lydia Jasper marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Vivienne
Vivienne marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
  • Death's Dominion
  • Hotter Blood: More Tales of Erotic Horror (Hot Blood, #2)
  • Feeding Ground
  • The Face That Must Die
  • Cold Moon Over Babylon
  • Berserk
  • The Pet
Robert Albert Bloch was a prolific American writer. He was the son of Raphael "Ray" Bloch (1884, Chicago-1952, Chicago), a bank cashier, and his wife Stella Loeb (1880, Attica, Indiana-1944, Milwaukee, WI), a social worker, both of German-Jewish descent.

Bloch wrote hundreds of short stories and over twenty novels, usually crime fiction, science fiction, and, perhaps most influentially, horror fict
More about Robert Bloch...
Psycho Psycho II Mysteries of the Worm: Twenty Cthulhu Mythos Tales by Robert Bloch (Call of Cthulhu Fiction) Robert Bloch's Psychos Night of the Ripper