Start by marking “Gotico americano ” as Want to Read:
Gotico americano

Gotico americano

3.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  263 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Dall'autore di "Psycho", un racconto gotico sospeso tra passato e presente. Chicago: un castello dalle pareti che nascondono passaggi segreti, stanze proibite e laboratori privati. Il castello è la dimora del dottor G. Gordon Gregg, un assassino farmacista. Le sue vittime sono donne giovani e belle. I suoi metodi sono scientifici e indolori, i suoi crimini perfetti... fino ...more
Hardcover, la biblioteca del brivido, 182 pages
Published December 1994 by Fabbri Editore (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Gotico americano, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gotico americano

Joey
Aug 19, 2015 Joey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring. Extreme lack of detail and description and the all-time lamest ways for a maniac serial killer to kill.
stormhawk
Dec 01, 2009 stormhawk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fictionalized account of the story of HH Holmes, which is more completely told in The Devil in the White City Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson. Bloch turns the story into somewhat less of an adventure than the truth, by adding a plucky, inquisitive, young, female journalist, quite in tune with the mid-1970s in which the book was published, but out of place in the 1890s in which the book is set, turning the villain into a more Blackbeard-ish character. A ...more
Brian
May 08, 2014 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea. I recently finished the non-fiction book The Devil in the White City, which is about the Columbian Exposition of 1893 set against the doings of serial killer H. H. Holmes, and, at the time, I thought that was the end of it. But I was looking for a book to read yesterday and my hand went to American Gothic. I didn't bother to read the blurb, just started reading. Within four pages: "The castle," "Chicago," "G. Gordon Gregg" -- well, I was hooked.

Bloch, of course, takes a number of
Billy
Apr 11, 2015 Billy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As other reviewers have noted, this is a fictional treatment of the notorious H.H. Holmes, so well described in the runaway best seller "Devil in the White City".

Alas, this book is not "Devil in the White City". It fails on all levels. The characterizations are cliched. Crystal, the intrepid female reporter, just happens to follow her fiance on a business appointment where she meets the handsome and successful Dr. G. Gordon Gregg, recently widowed. Of course, she just senses something is "wrong"
Tanner
Aug 01, 2014 Tanner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I try not to give 5 stars, but I was impressed. I liked the use of a strong willed heroine, which was rare in Bloch's time of writing. But not uncommon for Bloch (Lila Crane, Elinor Harris, Lori Holmes, and possibly Diana Rideaux and Daisy.)
Erin (Paperbackstash) *Proud Book Hoarder*
I try to collect Bloch books when I can. If you don't already know, he's best known for writing the bestselling novel, Psycho, later turned into the unforgettable movie by Hitchcock. A lot of his work is very good, as his writing style is simple to read but strangely creative at the same time.

American Gothic is nowhere as fortunate in the talent department as Psycho was, or actually as decent as his other works. Based on the H.H. Holmes murders in the turn of the century Chicago, the novel stays
Roberta
Jun 17, 2015 Roberta rated it liked it
Shelves: 2007, horror
Chuck
Feb 17, 2016 Chuck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Bloch (Psycho) published this in 1970 and many of his tropes have been overused since, making most of the plot predictable.
Still it was a pleasant read: his prose is very crisp, economic, and almost entirely devoid of adverbs. His setting is the Chicago World's Fair @ White City, so many readers could enjoy the information about the setting.
Steven Shinder
Just like how he turned Ed Gein into Psycho's Norman Bates, Robert Bloch turns H.H. Holmes into G. Gordon Gregg. Compared to Psycho, however, this story is not as suspenseful or exciting.
Amanda Kisner
Not scary really. The first chapter sucked me in and then it rambled on a bit. Toward the end it pulled me in again although I found the ending a little lackluster.
Rebecca McNutt
While not nearly as good as Psycho, this book is still worth reading and incredibly eerie, with vivid and descriptive vocabulary and classic horror.
Paige
Sep 26, 2015 Paige rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Very tidy, very quick suspense read that doesn't do anything outstanding, but is solid all the way around.
Jessica Hamburger
I couldn't hate G. Gordon Gregg and I didn't find him charming either. Crystal is one-dimensional, Jim is boring and I didn't care that he lost his job. The ending wasn't built up and dramatic as I was hoping. All in all, it was okay.
Brenda Hicks
Creepy read by the author of Psycho. Based on the true life story of HH Holmes who authorities speculate could have murdered, dissected and burned or buried over 200 victims during the Chicago Columbian Exposition. Gonna have to read some cowboy poetry now to get these images out of my head, dangit.
alex
Feb 03, 2012 alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was actually a light, breezy read. The story isn't great but it is interesting enough, and it moves quickly enough to propel the reader through it. Disappointingly sexist in some aspects (that aren't related to the fact that it's set in the late 1800s). What is really fascinating and isn't revealed until the novel is finished is that it is based on a true story.
alessandra falca
Un impostazione classica: un castello, omicidi, mistero. Bellino ma nient'altro. A tratti aveva delle cadute di tono. Bloch è colui che ha scritto Psycho che poi Mr. Hitchcock ha trasmutato in film. "Gotico Americano" è anche un dipinto di Grant Wood famosissimo. La storia che viene narrata è quasi tutta vera. Bellino ma non appassionante.
Rebecca
I was not a huge fan. However, I really never felt like putting this book down. It was tritely eerie and enticingly predictable. It reinforced my whole serial killer concern... Stay away from the seemingly harmless and the devilishly charming ones girlfriend.
Crystal
Jul 13, 2010 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got bored in the $1.00 store one day when I was around 12 years old and picked up this book to buy. To my surprise, I really liked it. I plan to read it again sometime soon since that was so long ago. I'd like to refresh my memory on it.
Allie
Dec 12, 2013 Allie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This novel was based on a true story (the same story Devil in the White City was based on). The whole thing was predictable and not written as well as Bloch's other novels. Although, maybe some of my dislike came from already knowing the story.
Alex
Feb 18, 2013 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Based on the chicago worlds fair murder spree of the late 1800s, I am almost done reading it. Solid book, written in 1974could hold its own against modern literature.

If you like a well written psycho thriller, worth the 222pages.
Amy Bugbee
Nov 14, 2012 Amy Bugbee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fictionalized account of HH Holmes, who I would say rates as one of the worst human beings to ever walk the Earth. He killed hundreds, if not thousands back in the late 19th century, mostly in Chicago.
David
Jul 01, 2012 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific, short novel. I read the first page and couldn't put it down. It's based on the same case as The Devil in the White City. America's first serial killer, H.H. Holmes.
Nikki
Jun 03, 2008 Nikki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really expected to love this book, but it just whetted my appetite for Psycho and the Devil in the White City.
Amy
Jul 10, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable. Loosely based on H.H. Holmes (Herman Mudgett).
Ashley F.
Very creepy and suspenseful. A great read!
Brett
Apr 14, 2008 Brett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Horror
Angi Breaux
Angi Breaux marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
pedro
pedro marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Chadwick Saxelid
Chadwick Saxelid rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it it was ok
Apr 21, 2016
  • Hotter Blood: More Tales of Erotic Horror (Hot Blood, #2)
  • In This Skin
  • Religion and Magic in Ancient Egypt
  • La casta. Così i politici italiani sono diventati intoccabili
  • The Goth Bible: A Compendium for the Darkly Inclined
  • Miles Gloriosus
Robert Albert Bloch was a prolific American writer. He was the son of Raphael "Ray" Bloch (1884, Chicago-1952, Chicago), a bank cashier, and his wife Stella Loeb (1880, Attica, Indiana-1944, Milwaukee, WI), a social worker, both of German-Jewish descent.

Bloch wrote hundreds of short stories and over twenty novels, usually crime fiction, science fiction, and, perhaps most influentially, horror fict
More about Robert Bloch...