Start by marking “Mirrorshades. L'antologia della fantascienza Cyberpunk” as Want to Read:
Mirrorshades. L'antologia della fantascienza Cyberpunk

Mirrorshades. L'antologia della fantascienza Cyberpunk

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  5,812 ratings  ·  80 reviews
With their hard-edged, street-wise prose, they created frighteningly probable futures of high-tech societies and low-life hustlers. Fans and critics call their world cyberpunk. Here is the definitive "cyberpunk" short fiction collection. HC: Arbor House.
Published February 1st 1995 by Fabbri Editore (first published 1986)

Be the first to ask a question about Mirrorshades. L'antologia della fantascienza Cyberpunk

Evan
Here the mediocre and the barely readable rub shoulders with pop genius.

The lesser cyberpunks come across like caffeinated 1950s squares desperately trying to sound like the beatniks they've heard so much about. Want some holodrugs to go with your cyberslang, daddy-o!!?

The greats have a singular ease of style and taste for the bizarre that gives you a whiff of the 80s, but the colors are still bright after twenty years.

Flawed, but essential.
Rose
Initial reaction: Probably 3.5 stars. There are some really interesting and good stories in the mix included here, and only a few that didn't really strike me all that well, whether it was the fact some of them were random and not necessarily what I would term cyberpunk, or that some of them seemed a little dated. I did appreciate Sterling's introduction on Cyberpunk as a genre overall, and I thought it was a good collection overall. Some of the authors I'm very familiar with their work, while o ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Perhaps looking back at cyberpunk from 2014, it is impossible to fully grasp what the authors at the beginning of that movement were truly about. We have Bruce Sterling's intro of this anthology to help us out, including other names for the movement at the time - Outlaw Technologists, Eighties Wave, Radical Hard SF, and others. Maybe we just needed to call it the Weird at the time, and in each decade assign different authors to that category.

When I read this anthology I struggle to place each s
Rob
Aug 28, 2007 Rob rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cyberpunk n00bs and other scifi lovers
A battered copy lives in my nightstand at all times. Between novels, I always come back to this, flipping through the pages until a word catches my eye. Such a diversity of talent, mixed together quite well here.

Rated Individually:
• "Solstice" (James Patrick Kelly) ★★★★
• "Petra" (Greg Bear) ★★★★★
• "Till Human Voic
Andrew
Cyberpunk used to mean so much more than crazy future clothes, oppressive corporate regimes, and cybernetic enhancements, but these days the word mostly conjures up Gibsonian dystopias. It's interesting to read a broader range of stories from the time, selected by people who were part of 'the Movement', but it might be even more interesting to read Bruce Sterling talk about himself in the third person when he describes prominent figures of cyberpunk. Amusing!
The_britguy

Una breve reflexión sobre las antologías:
Por lo general nunca he tenido una buena predisposición hacia ellas, a no ser que fueran del mismo autor, ya que siempre me he quedado insatisfecho por lo breves de los relatos... y siempre he acabado disfrutando mucho de ellas.
Es cierto que hay piezas que no terminan de llenarte, pero si la selección está bien hecha, suelen ser las menos, y a cambio tienes un ramillete muy amplio de ejercicios narrativos que seguramente no conocías. Eso es lo que me ha v

El Zuco
Just started the book but already love it... why haven't I been reading cyberpunk my whole life? The excellent first short story by Gibson, "Gernsback Continuum," narrates the story of a contract photographer hired to document the vestiges of 1930's US futurism, but also somehow manages to function as an abbreviated history of US modernism in the twentieth century and a commentary on the history of science fiction whose negativity suggests a cyberpunk vision in confronting the present (early 198 ...more
Ninja Pigeon

Contains many of my favorite examples of cyberpunk fiction. From Mozart in Mirrorshades, to the WW1 flight combat sim done in 3D Virtual Reality, this anthology is a collection of. Any amazing writers and their stories. All of them have stuck with me for the last 15+ years and influenced many of my own writing, and movie decisions. A must read for any beginner to the sci-fi and specifically cyberpunk genre. Also of note - my iPad doesn't try to correct the word "cyberpunk". Kudos to Gibson and
Nick Black
The best story in here is William Gibson's "The Gernsback Continuum", which anyone who cares already has in Burning Chrome. The rest is largely trash.
Cheryl
Unmemorable and dated, unfortunately. I promptly bookcrossed & released it.
Marko
3.5 stars. A collection of stories, mixing cyberpunk with sci-fi and sometimes outright fantasy. Most of the stories are OK (3 stars), some are good (4), and two are really, really great (full 5 stars).

Mirrorshades is supposed to be a cyberpunk anthology, but contains several stories which are decisevly not so. After the initial dissapointment this turns out to be not a bad thing, as some of them are quite good. Overall, the book was enjoyable and offers a very nice view of the beginnings of the
Tancredi
In certi ambienti Mirrorshades non avrebbe bisogno di presentazioni: antologia-manifesto del cyberpunk, curata da Bruce Sterling con l'apporto di William Gibson, i padri del genere, destinata a sancire nella sfera letteraria la rivoluzione informatica a metà degli anni Ottanta.
In certi ambienti, Mirrorshades è un mito ed una leggenda, perché difficilmente reperibile. A lungo l'ho cercata, e finalmente ho concluso la mia impossibile ricerca.
Questa premessa solo per giustificare, anche se in part
29alabs
Hay una razón por la cual Neal Stephenson mata al Cyberpunk en la era del diamante y está aquí reflejada en Mirrorshades, mientras que creo que a medidados de los 80's estos cuentos hubieran causado furor, hoy algunos de estos relatos se sienten vacíos (otros ni se sientes como cyberpunk).

Entre los que más destaco se encuentran Petra de Greg Bear, no se siente como cyberpunk pero en si la atmosfera del relato y los personajes son muy buenos. Zona libre de John Shirley, tiene muy buena atmósfera
La Stamberga dei Lettori
Questa premessa solo per giustificare, anche se in parte
Nicolas
Il est difficile de parler de quelque chose d’aussi polymorphe que ce mouvement sans en passer par les généralités, mais je vais essayer d’éviter. Tout le monde le sait, le début des années 80 a été la genèse de ce mouvement, revendiquant une sf différente tant par ses thèmes que ses implications. Et si l’ambition technologique demeure, on quitte radicalement le monde des héros de la sf traditionnelle, ainsi que ses thématiques spatiales et extra-terrestres, pour revenir ici aux bas-fonds, aux l ...more
Jos
Mirrorshades is considered to be the ultimate cyberpunk anthology. This whole cyberpunk thing resonates with me for nostalgic reasons. It's an 80's thing, a time when I was a teenager and reading science fiction was one of my favourite passtimes. Although at that time, I didn't really read anything related to cyberpunk. My first try at Neuromancer in the beginning of the 90's was aborted so it took me until 2013 before I could put my nostalgia to a reality check.

It started well enough with Neuro
Michaelx
When I picked up 'Mirrorshades: The Cyberpunk Anthology' I was hoping for an anthology of cyberpunk. That was not exactly what I got. Maybe my understanding of the cyberpunk genre is wrong, and it was just my ignorant expectations that were disappointed. Cyberpunk, I thought, was the genre 'Neuromancer' belonged to. I saw Bruce Sterling and William Gibson on the cover, saw it's neon colours and pixelated design and made, what I considered to be at the time, safe assumptions. They were wrong.

Of t
Gregg Wingo
Bruce Sterling’s “Mirrorshades” represents the first anthology of the nascent movement known as cyberpunk. It is also a coming of maturity for science fiction as the dominant form of postmodern literary expression. This is illustrated most vividly by Darren Harris-Fain’s critique of the first story in the anthology, “The Gernsback Continuum”. The story by William Gibson is a denunciation of the ideals of Gernsback, the founding principles of American science fiction, and Modernism through the ad ...more
Heidi
Mar 06, 2014 Heidi is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cyberpunks
Recommended to Heidi by: a cyberpunk a long time ago
I read this a LONG time ago but I am ready to read it again and so I am! It was published in 1988 and these stories are all basically in the cyberpunk genre, so it is a little bit dated, but that shouldn't bother me. Since it s a collection of short stories, I will rate it story by story. (1) The Gernsback Continuum by William Gibson. I LOVED Neuromancer and was hoping this would be in that vein; I was totally disappointed. I kept waiting for something to happen, hoping . . . but it didn't. It s ...more
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/1008604.html[return][return]Lived up to its reputation. I'm not a wild-eyed enthusiast for cyberpunk (and William Gibson's story here, "The Gernsback Continuum", which rather lacks an ending, reminded me why not) but I'm always ready to be convinced by a good story, and there are loads of them in here. I think the only one I'd read before was Sterling and Gibson's "Red Star, Winter Orbit" which is actually rather moving and nostalgic, qualities one doesn't really assoc ...more
Jordan
This is a kind of mixed bag. There are some great cyberpunk stories in here, and there are some that I'm not really sure how they qualify as cyberpunk other than they're written by authors who have written in the cyberpunk genre. While I like the two Gibson stories in this collection (which I like basically anything he's written so that's not hard), they seem like two of his least cyberpunk stories. Where was something like "Johnny Mnemonic"? The Greg Bear story, while interesting, was also anot ...more
Nandor
Siempre me ha gustado ciertos ambientes donde predomina un gran desarrollo tecnológico, sociedades al límite entre humanos mejorados o cybort propiamente dichos. Estos ambientes los conseguía por lo general en series y películas de Anime, más tarde cuando comencé con la literatura de ciencia ficción descubrí que eso que tanto me ha gustado se le conoce como Ciberpunk .
Por esta razón no podía dejar pasar la lectura de una de las mejores compilaciones de relato de este subgénero, que además contie
William (Liam) Dixon
So I enjoy cyberpunk and I also find it, as a genre, a bit ridiculous. That said, doesn’t mean I don’t kinda want to wear all black leather and reflective sunglasses and get a bunch of piercings and UV visible tattoos for about 5 minutes after I put the book down. Individual stories however I enjoy quite a lot. Cyberpunk’s downfall in my mind is, secondarily, that much of it is from 1980-1995 so some tech ideas now seem silly, but primarily because the first cyberpunk thing I read was a Shadowru ...more
Jason
Still hate cyberpunk with all my heart but I give this short story collection 2 stars because I will admit its an important one: it reveals the beginnings of a turning point within science fiction--a landmark & really bad fad.

Cyberpunk brought new elements to sci-fi & when used sparingly, it can enhance science fiction stories of today. But when the sub-genre is pure cyberpunk (emphasis on the "cyber"), then it's geekboy masturbation at its worst.

It's one thing when the geeks of society
Barry Bridges
Yep. It is the definitive cyberpunk. Still does not make me long for the 80's or the future world envisioned. I just have to go back and read original sources, the ones everyone quotes or references.
Kristýna Obrdlíková
Dobrota zralá do mé knihovničky. Našla jsem zase nějaké autory, po kterých budu pátrat dál, a překvapením trochu bylo, co všechno se počítá do kyberpunku. Asi by bylo zajímavé kouknout na originály, ale kde na to brát čas... :-)
David Alexander McLane
Not enough cyberpunk to be considered a cyberpunk anthology. I feel a bit guilty rating this book 2 stars, as there are some very good stories found within, but I would consider only a few of them cyberpunk. If this were a general science fiction anthology, I think it would justify an extra star (perhaps two), but the mind-boggling lack of cyberpunk in what I was led to believe was a seminal work in the genre really bothers me.
Memphis
Gave up on this. Liked the Gibson. The rest were too grindingly dark for what I need right now.
Nam
Had never read any Bruce Sterling except for Difference Engine and his blog. However, I have been a big fan of cyberpunk ever since i read Neuromancer back in middle school.

This collection is a must read as a primer anthology for the genre. Many of the stories are not as exciting when compared to some of the classic novels of the genre. However, a few really shine. Plus, it provides a clear glimpse into the style, context and concerns of this group of writers. I particularly enjoyed the stories;
Ben
An odd yet satisfying collection. I wouldn't necessarily call it a cyberpunk collection or especially 'the' cyberpunk collection as the cover purports, but it is a great read nonetheless. The pieces that seem wholly out of place genre wise maintain the melancholic tones of cyberpunk to such a degree that they flow right in with the rest of the text.

I'd point out what I'd consider the highlights of the anthology, but as that would include a majority of the book, the exercise seems futile. Suffice
Recommendations 6 30 May 27, 2012 05:26PM
  • Rewired: The Post-Cyberpunk Anthology
  • Software (Ware, #1)
  • Synners
  • Hardwired (Hardwired, #1)
  • Eclipse (A Song Called Youth, #1)
  • Burning Chrome
  • The Shockwave Rider
  • When Gravity Fails (Marîd Audran #1)
  • Ribofunk
  • Vacuum Flowers
  • Dangerous Visions
  • The Hard SF Renaissance
Michael Bruce Sterling is an American science fiction author, best known for his novels and his seminal work on the Mirrorshades anthology, which helped define the cyberpunk genre.
More about Bruce Sterling...
Islands in the Net Schismatrix Plus Heavy Weather The Hacker Crackdown: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier Holy Fire