Start by marking “Never Love a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Never Love a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #3)

Never Love a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy #3)

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  17,970 Ratings  ·  1,006 Reviews
In a tale of strong ties and true love, Maya Banks' trilogy comes to its conclusion, as the youngest McCabe brother uses sword and seduction to save his clan - and seal his heart.

Caelen McCabe’s young, reckless heart nearly destroyed his clan. Now, putting family loyalty above all else, he steps up to marry his older brother’s jilted bride and salvage the uneasy alliance b
Mass Market Paperback, 305 pages
Published October 25th 2011 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about Never Love a Highlander, please sign up.

Julie Recommend reading reviews (below), there are a LOT for this book. And, yes, it is a good book. One of my favorite romance books. If Scottish society…moreRecommend reading reviews (below), there are a LOT for this book. And, yes, it is a good book. One of my favorite romance books. If Scottish society of the past, the Highlands and a "warrior" type hero is your type of romance, this is a good choice. Several "steamy" scenes that are all well written. Ms Banks also develops her characters satisfactorily. (less)

Kristen
5...HUGE...Stars!!!

I LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS BOOK! EVERYTHING!
Not only is it my favorite of the series, it has also landed on my all-time favorite bookshelf. And that's saying something, since that rarely happens.

I felt so many emotions while reading this book and not one of those emotion was manipulated through cliched or manufactured plot devices. They were simply achieved through outstanding storytelling and writing.

This is the story about an honorable but bitter and cold man plagued
Anne
Oct 04, 2016 Anne rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of being woken up by a stiffy
The first two books is this trilogy were a bit meh, but this one?!

Ha! Kidding!
This one ended up being meh, as well.
In fact, at times it teetered on awful.

description

Here's the thing: I was less than impressed with the 1st book, but decided to check out the 2nd book, because I thought it was supposed to be about Rionna . <--badass warrior chick!
It was not about Rionna. The author did a switcheroo, and the hero fell in love with Rionna's BFF instead.
Anyway. Finally, now we get to Rionna.
The ass-kicker w
Jilly
Feb 25, 2017 Jilly rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite of the series because of the heroine. Rionna is a kick-ass girl who wears pants instead of a dress and trains with the warriors with a sword. She marries Caelen - who is kind of a jerk at first - in order to align their clans. He wants to turn her into a proper lady. She isn't real agreeable to this idea. I'm on her side.

Their marriage has a few rocky moments as they each try to get the other to bend to their will. And, really, isn't that what marriage is all about? Trying t
willaful
Mar 27, 2013 willaful rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, series
'Tis the truth, I thought this 'twas a wee bit of a dud. Aye, Laird McGrumpypants gave me a pain in my backside and 'tis the truth, I could not see why a lass would want to change everything about herself to curry favor with the lout. And 'tis the truth, the language got more than a wee bit repetitious, 'tis the truth. Perhaps 'twould have been better read than listened to. The ending 'twas pretty good, so two stars 'twill be.
Carmen
Jun 07, 2015 Carmen rated it did not like it
Nope. Nope, nope nope nope.

This is is just not my thing. I knew by page 39 when her brand-new husband kisses her harshly and against her will at a public dinner to shut her up (because women shouldn't have opinions or express themselves, apparently) and then she bites his lip and then he uses his tongue to smear the blood all in her mouth.

Yeah. That happened.

And she's a tomboy-warrior type woman and he wants her to wear dresses and cook all day, or something.

In the middle of the book, she seems
Vilda
'She put her hand on his chest and stared up at him, her heart going soft at the tenderness in his voice. "You do not frighten me, Caelen. 'Tis the truth I feel safest when I’m near to you."'

If you see my final status update below, that's exactly how I felt when finishing and still do. I cannot believe that it's over! You know the quote: "You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend."? Well, that's exactly how I've felt after finis
♡Karlyn P♡
Sigh. I devoured this series. It was the best kind of romance candy. The kind with hot highlanders, steamy sex, fierce battle scenes, feisty women, impossible odds, high stakes, and teary moments. While each book had a different hero/heroine, the trilogy had an underlying story as the McCabes prepared for war against their fierce enemy Duncan Cameron. I loved how the brothers were always main characters in each story, and how the heroines became important to the clans survival. While you could r ...more
Wendy
This was by far my absolute favorite of the series. I loved watching the love between Rionna and Caelan grow and bloom, it was magic. I've said it before, but the romance in this series is old fashioned and I loved every minute of it!
Mirjana ***Let's Sound It Out - - - Mary-On-A***

***5 Stars***

Just because it had begun one way didn't mean it couldn't change to something else entirely.

What did I think about this book, you ask??

I'm not going to lie...I wasn't sure historical romance was for me, but I wanted to step out of my comfort zone and check it out...MAN, OH MAN did this series prove me

I LOVED this series! The first book was great, the second fantastic and this third one...

I've been intrigued by Caelen from the very beginning, and I had full faith that when I fi
Sammy Loves Books

Character Rating 5 stars
Romance Rating 5 stars
Heat Level 4 stars
Overall Rating 5 stars

This was the conclusion of a 3 book series. You must read all of them in order and I highly recommend you read this series if you are indeed interested.

Once again I loved all the characters in this book. I also loved that Maya included all the characters from the previous 2 books.

This story was absolutely FANTASTIC for me.

I loved that the heroine Rionna was a warrior and extremely fierce for
Anna
Sep 17, 2013 Anna rated it it was amazing
Reread of an amazing series ❤ ...more
Heather

This is the third and final installment in the McCabe Trilogy. Caelan has wed Rionna and they return to the McDonald keep. Caelan is not as readily accepted as he had hoped. Thing pick up and this book takes on a fast paced conclusion to this amazing series.

Rionna McDonald has long suffered her fathers lecherous nature and his unfair hand. She knows of his treachery, but as a daughter, she is unable to do much about it. Rionna is not a conventional daughter to the brutal Laird. She wears trouser
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
And finally it's Rionna's book! I was intrigued by Rionna's character right from book one when she stomped up to a group of warriors, in trousers and helm, and showed them just who was bitch with the pointy end of her sword. Oh, how that doth ticketh all my boxes. When she took her helmet off and they realized it was a lass? Hee hee! I love it!

And who has she been paired with but the surliest of the brothers, Caelen McCabe. And man who's convinced all women are treacherous wenches just waiting t
Kazy
Jan 26, 2017 Kazy rated it it was amazing
SPOILER-Y AS HELL

I was so freaking excited to start this book.
 photo 13915017_zpskfannkon.gif
Although I didn't bother with book 2, I definitely wanted to hear Caelen's story and find out about how his 'foolishness' got his clan killed. Was I little confused at times because I skipped a book? Yup, but it didn't take away from the story at all.
Caelen was a freaking dreamboat.
 photo 17821655_zpsssyxzhda.gif
He was gruff and protective and I just loved him. Rionna was all that and a bag of chips. She was a warrior through and through, even if Caelen didn't w
Rachel Regina
Overall rating: 5 "Warrior Princess" stars!!!

Triggers:
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Sex with om/ow: (view spoiler)

HEA: (view spoiler)

My review:

Caelan McCabe has sworn o
Mei
May 09, 2013 Mei rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
LOVED IT!!! LOVED IT!!! LOVED IT!!!

I loved everything about this book!

Gruff Caelen... mmm.. he's as much gruff as sweet and passionate! He didn't want to fall in love with Rionna, but when he did... oh, boy, it was spectacular!

I liked Rionna since the first time I met her. She's just perfect for Caelen! I love a sword-wielding girl! And one that doesn't dress in fancy dresses, but leggings! WOW!!!

I loved that, for once, it was a woman to save man's life! *wink*

I'm really, really sorry to have f
*~*~~*~reading~**~till~**~forever*~~*~*
"Then she made her move. She turned abruptly and thrust the torch into Cameron’s face. His howl of pain was instantaneous. At the exact moment of his cry, Rionna let out a war cry that rivaled any Caelen had ever heard. She drew her sword, tore off her cloak, and ran for the stake. Caelen stared in disbelief as McDonald soldiers swarmed over the walls, dropping down, swords in hands."

*battle cry

description

STRAIGHT INTO THE BATTLE BITCHES, AND ANYONE WHO COMES NEAR ME IS GOING TO GET IT IN THE STOMACH, OR E
Sharon ∞❥ is an angst book junkie ❥∞
Finally we come to the last book in the trilogy and the most stoic brother, Caelen. Because of a past discretion that lead to some horrific outcomes, Caelen has always put honor and his clan before all else. So when circumstances change with Alaric not marrying Rionna, Caelen steps in. Little does he know that he has indeed met his match.

To be honest, I wasn't sure what to make of this couple. They both are really so similar in how they regard their clan and honor...and being a great warrior is
Gina
Dec 04, 2012 Gina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: highlander
This is the last book in the series and my favorite! I loved them all actually, but Calean McCabe was my favorite of the three brothers.

His heart broken and mistrustful because of a woman years ago who betrayed him and caused the death of his father and attack on their clan. Calaen is determined not to let his emotions cloud his judgement as it did before and not see the truth like he missed before.

Forced to marry Rionna McDonald to secure the alliance between the two clans, Calaen is forced w
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Jan 03, 2013 Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
Quick review:

Cover: Iffy
Rating: NC-17
Steaminess: HOT
Thumbs Up: 4.5
Overall: Take me back in time to meet a Highlander please.
Characters: Well Written
Plot: Feisty girl meets her match and will try not to be tamed.
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Not Sure
Recommend: Yes
Book Boyfriend: Caelen

SUMMARY (50 words or less)

What was there not to like about this book, that it ended? This story had me a page one. I coudln't wait to see it played out. I’ve read a book on similar lines but I didn’t think m
Blair
5++++ stars
I loved it.

One of the best book series I've ever read.
 ~V~
Dec 19, 2011 ~V~ rated it really liked it

**4 1/2 stars**

This has been a series i have thoroughly enjoyed, there really wasn't a bad one in the bunch and i'm very sad that it's over. :( I loved Ewan, the responsible older brother..i loved Alaric, the more fun loving of the three..but i think Caelen, the oh so yummy tortured brother, still stands as my favorite of the three! He is the one who was the most mistrusting of the women that came into their lives, because he was betrayed in the worst way possible, eight years past, but once he
Julia's Book Haven
Nov 13, 2012 Julia's Book Haven rated it it was amazing
"Ah, lass, I think I have always loved you, for 'tis the truth I cannot ever remember a time I didn't"

I think that really says it all doesn't it. Those beautiful words nearly undid me. I wasn't to sure about Caelen and Rionna's story because they didn't start out great, with neither wanting to marry the other but feeling duty bound to do it anyways. I shouldn't have doubted that this story would be any less amazing then the others. I loved this series and even though its done I'm extremely happy
Emily
Jun 03, 2016 Emily rated it liked it
Hello and welcome to today's instalment of Emily Explores Sexy Scottish Literature. In previous episodes, I was reading the first two books in the McCabe Trilogy. I nearly considered taking a break and reading something else because these books were beginning to be bad for my blood pressure but honestly I was most looking forward to this book out of the three so I set aside my hesitation and dove right in.

Again, read my previous reviews to get my feelings on the "period" language in these books
Monique
Apr 28, 2013 Monique rated it it was amazing
What a perfect ending to a trilogy I loved so much! I would have loved more books in this series because I want to just keep reading and devouring this author's historical romance series.

Rionna is fierce, loyal and so awesome. She is a warrior herself and it is so badass. She's so brave and courageous. She has balls of steel. But she still has a feminine side to her and vulnerabilities like the rest of us. My heart went out to her when she revealed why she first chose to don a mannish appearance
Ezinwanyi~ThatEzi  (Oh My Shelves)
Finally Rionna gets her HEA!!
Boy she had been passed up by Ewain, Ulrich and finally Caelan raised his hand to sacrifice himself in the bid to gain Laird MacDonalds alliance with the McCabes. I felt bad for Rionna, but she held her own. She was a fighter, but she had a good and loyal heart. She was a great match for the youngest and most scarred MaCabe.

I don't know if any of the prior women could have penetrated his defenses after his first love betrayed him and devastated his life.

I had so hop
Jamie
Its been a while since I've gone through such a long historical rom phase! I throw them in here and there.... but my love for reading started at 16 with a bodice ripper , so this genre will always be my first love. Now make it one with sexy Highlander and I turn to putty. This one was no exception. I loved it.

One of my favorite medieval heroin's I've ever read and in Rionna

and Caelen was absolutely perfect!

This one put a huge smile on my face and it will definitely be a re-read for me later.
Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥
The most beautiful and amazing love story in McCabe trilogy. I wish I can give 10 stars for this wonderful story
Zoe
Jan 02, 2016 Zoe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave the 3 stars easily. It's been a while since I was able to rate a book 3 stars and felt: yeah this is right. The past 3 months I have had a lot of 2 stars books and the occasional 3 stars. Maya Banks' Never love a Highlander, however, is exactly what I would call a 3 stars read: the book flows and is not sluggish. With likable characters and a reasonably crafted plot line. No emotional connection. Just a good story which one does not have to try to like.

I have originally marked this book
  • The Ranger (Highland Guard, #3)
  • The Warrior (Return of the Highlanders, #3)
  • Seduced by a Highlander (Children of the Mist, #2)
  • The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • Claimed by the Highlander (Highlander, #2)
  • Untamed (MacKinnon's Rangers, #2)
  • Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword #3/MacAllister, #2)
Maya Banks is the #1 New York Times, #1 USA Today and international bestselling author of over 50 novels. A wife and mother of three, she lives in Texas.
More about Maya Banks...

McCabe Trilogy (3 books)
  • In Bed with a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #1)
  • Seduction of a Highland Lass (McCabe Trilogy, #2)

“I love you,” he said fiercely. “ ’Tis not true that I kept a part of my heart locked away from you. You own all of it, lass. You’ve always owned it. I didn’t give it to you. You took it from the very start.” 50 likes
“You’ll fight, damn it. You’ll not give over this easily. God is not ready for you yet because I am not through with you. You’re going to wake up and you’re going to give me the words I’ve waited on for so long. Telling me you love me on the battlefield as we both lay dying doesn’t count. You’ll give them to me and mean them or so help me I’ll bury you in unconsecrated ground so that you never rest and you’ll be forced to dwell in this keep with me for eternity.” 17 likes