Start by marking “China Inc” as Want to Read:
China Inc

China Inc

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  788 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
How has an enormous country once hobbled by poverty nd Communist ideology come to be the supercharged centre of global capitalism? What will happen when China is able to manufacture nearly everything that Europe and the United States can, at perhaps half the cost? How do these developments reach around the world and straight into our lives?

These are ground shaking question
Published 2006 by Pocket Books (first published February 28th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about China Inc, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about China Inc

Claire S
I bought and skimmed/read this book during the Olympic boycott conversation, and one thing I found interesting is that the term 'Human Rights' is not in the index. Which would indicate it's not a concept that the author included in this book. Skimming on my own, I did find it mentioned - but only as a transparent strategy that certain entities use to try and stem US job loss - nothing more. Which was interesting at that point in time (and now).

In general, I found it the way others have - superf
Toby
May 02, 2008 Toby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There is a 20% chance that you are Chinese and an 80% chance that you are afraid of the Chinese. Perhaps you are afraid the Chinese will steal your manufacturing job, or feed your child lead paint, or poison you at bedtime because your herbal tea was dried using the hot exhaust of dirty trucks. In China, Inc., Ted Fishman examines what’s going on in China and why that country is fast becoming the West’s new foreign bogey-man.
Fishman, who has been a floor trader and ran his own trading firm, ha
Tippy Jackson
Dec 11, 2009 Tippy Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics, economics
Very well done. This book manages to communicate complex topics in a way that is easy for non-economists to understand, yet it is not written in a way that is insulting or patronizing. Very interesting all the way through. In particular, I liked the discussion on having the yuan tied to the dollar, how that came about and what it means. Some of the questions this book answered: What advantages does China have over the rest of the world market? What disadvantages do they have? How will China’s ri ...more
Jerel Bonner
This book can provide the answers to many questions for western business people looking to do business in today's China. It is a must read for any businessperson. It is the businessperson's equivalent to Lonely Planet: China, the traveler's guide of guides. Ted Fishman, is a former Chicago Mercantile Exchange firm owner, and has been a quest speaker on several business radio programs in the US, most notably "Marketplace's Special Report From China". It was from this program that I first learned ...more
Chris Ross
I listened to the audio book downloaded from Hoopla. This book was published in 2005 so it is 10 years old and most of the things predicted in the book have come true.

This book is essentially how China operates as an economic behemoth with special emphasis on all of the unethical economical and business practices (owning all land, low wages, no worker rights, human rights abuses, tying its currency to the US Dollar and never changing it, stealing IP from other companies/countries/individuals, et
Alicia Fox
Oct 28, 2014 Alicia Fox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
In brief, extremely poor workforce + no respect for intellectual property + government encouragement = China's success. That much I knew, but never in as much detail as I read in this book. What I found most interesting is what I gathered from the text--that China's boom is not sustainable in the long-term. The unique Chinese business term "black heart" refers to more than *just* making counterfeit baby formula filled with cornstarch.

For those who care but won't read the book...or might...whatev
Carlos Mock
Jul 26, 2014 Carlos Mock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
China has the world's most rapidly changing large economy, Fishman details how hundreds of millions of peasants have migrated from rural to urban areas to find manufacturing jobs, providing an unlimited, low-wage workforce to power China's economy. "No country has ever before made a better run at climbing every step of economic development all at once," he writes, in China, Inc. China invites large corporations to manufacture their products in their country—simply put, American companies can't c ...more
Gary
Dec 28, 2010 Gary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an engaging audiobook that coincidentally had the same narrator as my previous audiobook selection (Alan Sklar). Unlike some of the previous books on China I've read or listened to, this one limited itself mainly to business and economic ramifications of China's rise. Interestingly, since it is about 5 years old, the main themes seemed a bit out of step with the latest trends in "China watching" - for example, much was made in this book of the process known as "offshoring," or the trans ...more
Alvaro Berrios
Overall, I thought this book was pretty bad. It's main goal is to cause fear and panic in the American people. It depicts China as this giant monster that is looking to suck the life out of the USA in its goal for global conquering and domination. Go run and hide, because the Chinese are coming!

This is the wrong way to look at China. Instead of a threat, China needs to be seen as an opportunity. They don't steal our jobs, international trade is a vital part of any nation's growth and it makes us
Melissa
Jun 09, 2007 Melissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book. Initially, I was a little skeptical of this book. China is a hot topic lately and it seemed this book was published to make money off that sensationalism. But, in the beginning, I was surprised, it offered me an accurate introductory explanation to a lot of what I encountered in China. However, the goodness stopped there. Fishman writes from a US perspective and accuses China of havingcreating an unfair global economic advantage (which is absurd). Ultimately, I think I just chose the ...more
Hubert
Oct 20, 2008 Hubert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in China or international trade and economics
This was a decent primer concerning the rise of China as an economic powerhouse. The strength of the text lies in a) its ability to link intimate narrative capsules of ordinary Chinese lives and their links to larger economic trends and b) its theories as to how capitalism got started in the first place in China.

The last third of the book is a more ordinary indictment on the Western world's inability to match China's cheap labor supply and its effects on other nations' economies. The 'usual susp
Kimfu
The style of this book was rather dry, and I didn't catch all of the author's points about how China's economic rise influences the global worlds of finance, manufacturing, and the economy. However, I appreciated that he didn't totally bash China while he was giving his various analyses. I was also particularly interested in how he described China's attitude toward intellectual property rights. I'm now looking forward to reading "Smuggler Nation: How Illicit Trade Made America" because this book ...more
Jean Hall
Mar 02, 2015 Jean Hall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very educational and at times entertaining book. A few years ago I wondered how the economy of China impacted the economy of the United States. There was a shock to the Wall Street markets on the news. I was aware of how China was favored by the trade imbalance and how they manufactured counterfeit status goods like handbags. There is a dramatic movement of Chinese workers from the countryside to the city. It is sad that so many Chinese struggle with poverty, workplace accidents and in ...more
Steve
Mar 11, 2015 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It would have been better had I read this when I first bought it ten years ago, at a Kellogg MBA alumni event at which the author spoke (and autographed my copy). I would have given it at least one more star had I rated it then, but books such as this age quickly and a lot of the material seems dated. Still it gives very good insights into how China got started with economic liberalization and the growth of a capitalist economy there. The book is very well written and is open-eyed about both the ...more
Claire
Mar 14, 2014 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Claire by: Cecilia Chien
This book verified I am still VERY interested in Academia: International Relations, Chinese, Russian, everything else. I'd better try harder to visit Washington, D.C. within the year.
Or, at least Yury Polsky's office again, though Mother can't stand him. And/or Cecilia Chien. I have to figure out what exactly I want from Tsinghua.

I almost want to write down its bibliography for further information, but I could always get this back out of the Library next time I'm curious.

Time to actually go to b
Jose Perez
Mar 11, 2012 Jose Perez rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: china
This book tells the History of China during the second half of the 20th century using the story of a family that moves from the interior rural areas of China to Shanghai. It reviews the changes the Chinese society has gone through in these decades and speaks a bit about how the changes in China have affected most of the countries in the World, overall from the USA point of view.

I highlight the stories of the 18 peasants from Xiaogang and how Shenzhen turned into what it is today.

Enjoy!!

Mike
Apr 18, 2010 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful on China, both in the obvious ways (business), but also in the personal driving forces of the country - how communism and business merge (no capitalism there), banking and government compromises, cultural clashes across provinces, but also across town, and between the major city centers (which are 'rivals'), etc. Fascinating overall. Note that it is dated (2005), but it is an excellent snapshot, and clearly implies where China is going (many guesses have already come true.)
Scott Drummonds
Sep 10, 2013 Scott Drummonds rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe this book was interesting in 2006. Maybe there was a time I knew much less about China. But whatever the case may be, this book is boring and full of information about China I already know. Yes, Shenzhen's growth is amazing. Sure, Shanghai is dynamic. I already understand what is happening with labor, sex, business, and the environment.

I read every word of the first 10%. Started skimming to 30%. And then deleted the book from my Kindle.
Karen
Aug 15, 2008 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book makes all the classic arguments about China's rise in the world economy. Artificially keeping their yuan low compared to the dollar to court more multi-national business, cheap manufacturing and even cheaper pirated goods all make China the superpower that it is. It plays on American's fears of loss of jobs and money to China. It smacks of America's fear of Japan in the '80s.
Daniela
Aug 03, 2010 Daniela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was not only really informative, but also extremely well written, with vivid and exhilarating descriptions of the rise of China and its impact on the global economy in the 21st century. This is not a dull book by any means! Unlike many other business books, Ted C Fishman's work is not only thought-provoking, but also shocking and exciting.
Bkilpatrick
I'm currently reading this book. It's basically about how China has gained strength and momentum in the global economy and what that means for America and the World in the future. It paints a very vivid portrait of the current situation with many interesting and thoroughly readable examples. So far its been very good.
Whatsittoya
For any US citizen, I would highly recommend this book. It's smart to be aware of what our future might or might not hold. Made in China is something we're very used to and I don't think that will change any time soon. From an economic standpoint and just general knowledge standpoint, this book is worth reading.
Megan Blood
May 15, 2012 Megan Blood rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
China fascinates me, but this book was just too adoring. Any book that gives property rights in China a mere skimming over (less than a paragraph, with a lengthy footnote that for some reason he didn't feel necessary to include in the text itself) is not doing adequate analysis of China's future.
Lauri
Sep 29, 2012 Lauri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the most well-written non-fiction, but is packed with fascinating content about what China is, and not, doing as it grows at a frightening pace. Was very worthwhile to read before, during, and after my trip to China. Plenty of fodder for conversation here.
Mazola1
Feb 27, 2008 Mazola1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating and troubling look at a complex country poised on the brink of becoming the world's next superpower while at the same time being beset by all the problems of a third world country. Very readable, and it will make you think.
Barb Shoffner
Sep 24, 2007 Barb Shoffner added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
This is a fascinating read for people interested in the world economy and the impact of China's growth. While I lived in China and have knowledge of the history, culture and drive for growth, this book provided incredible insight.
Rosemary
May 17, 2009 Rosemary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-researched, lots of detail...this has to be a special area of interest for you to read it. Otherwise, I think most people ould find it a bit boring.

Was written in 2002 0r 2003...some of the info is aging
Julie
Jul 08, 2012 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. However, it was published in 2004 and although many things are still pertinent, there is much that is outdated. I would like to see the author published an updated version.
jayawardana
buku yang menceritakan bagaimana china menguasai perdagangan dunia, menduplikasi teknologi tinggi dari negara lain, dan mengapa china harus terus tumbuh. ditulis dari sudut pandang orang amerika.
Mark Bates
Nov 09, 2015 Mark Bates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The miracle of the Chinese Economy, an iron handed government with a controlled population of indentured servants. A government that sanctions stealing openly, and we allow it. Yea Us.
  • One Billion Customers: Lessons from the Front Lines of Doing Business in China
  • Parting Shots
  • China Shakes the World: A Titan's Rise and Troubled Future -- and the Challenge for America
  • The Global Class War: How America's Bipartisan Elite Lost Our Future - and What It Will Take to Win It Back
  • The Elephant and the Dragon: The Rise of India and China and What It Means for All of Us
  • Military Inc.: Inside Pakistan's Military Economy
  • Atlas of World History: Concise Edition
  • Falling Off the Edge: Globalization, World Peace and Other Lies. Alex Perry
  • Engaging the Muslim World
  • An Army of Davids: How Markets and Technology Empower Ordinary People to Beat Big Media, Big Government, and Other Goliaths
  • What Does China Think?
  • Taj Mahal: Passion and Genius at the Heart of the Moghul Empire
  • The Bridge Betrayed: Religion and Genocide in Bosnia
  • Poorly Made in China: An Insider's Account of the Tactics Behind China's Production Game
  • The River Runs Black: The Environmental Challenge to China's Future
  • The China Price: The True Cost of Chinese Competitive Advantage
  • The Tyranny of Dead Ideas: Letting Go of the Old Ways of Thinking to Unleash a New Prosperity
  • Prisoner of the State: The Secret Journal of Premier Zhao Ziyang