Love According to Lily (American Heiresses, #4)

Love According to Lily (American Heiresses #4)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  386 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Lily Langdon has finally grown up. Now that her brother the duke's completely malleable best friend Edward Wallis has been brutally (and luckily) rebuffed by his intended, Lily knows her chance for a very permissive and entirely convenient husband is here. In fact, he is staying in her very own home for a house party.

But this promising party's tone is quickly changed by a...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published July 26th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Love According to Lily, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love According to Lily

new_user
Love According to Lily was an interesting read and not at all as I was expecting. In a historical romance, readers expect a certain bit of contrivance and melodrama, but Julianne MacLean's Lily was instead subdued and muted compared to the usual HR. No characters reacted in an unlikely way to exacerbate poor circumstances, no tantrums or misunderstandings. All characters reacted in realistic fashion and their conveyance of their displeasure was subtle.

Lily and co. were plausible characters but a...more
Nisha
Armed only with the knowledge that the hero was the heroine's brother's BFF, I was expecting something less emotionally taxing. This was much more intense than I expected, mostly because Whitby was seriously sick for most of the book. And when he wasn't, it seemed like Lily was going to be seriously sick. And then there were times when Whitby was not as emotionally invested in Lily, so there was that insecurity.

Basically, its the type of book you read when you want a heroine who suffers from un...more
FlibBityFLooB
3.5/5 stars. So, I chose to read this when I saw NU was reading it and mentioned one of my favorite plot devices -- girl in love with her brother's friend. Thought to myself how can I resist? The beginning of the book showed a lot of promise, and I was really starting to feel for the characters. I loved the meloncholy feel in the first few chapters of the book, but it eventually slid more into malaise for me.

As the book progressed, I lost my connection with the hero and heroine and their feeling...more
The Labyrinth Literary
Es la historia de lily, una chica que esta perdidamente enamorada de Whitby el mejor amigo de su hermano al que conoce desde pequeña, a pesar de saber que el jamas fijaría su atención en ella, ya que no la ve como otra cosa que la hermanita de su gran amigo, ella sigue aferrada a la ilusión que le ha acompañado toda la vida.

Aunque el sentimiento de ser ignorada le sea familiar, pues la relación entre ella y su madre es desalentadora, ya que Marion es una mujer estricta y sin sentido del humor, y...more
Ana T.
I did enjoy reading this book although not as much as To Marry a Duke. This is it’s sequel, the story of James’s sister Lily and his friend Whitby. Actually there are 2 sequels to TMTD because it’s the first book in 2 different series even if it doesn’t appear as the first book in the Lover series.

Being raised in a strict, humorless household did nothing to dampen Lady Lily Langdon's romantic nature -- nor cool her lifelong affection for Edward Wallis, Earl of Whitby, her elder brother's oldest,...more
Katrina Passick Lumsden
A much better showing from MacLean. I genuinely liked Lily and Whitby (at least in this book), and their angst, while sometimes overwrought, was believable and relatable. Still, MacLean's writing leaves something to be desired for me. Her dialogue is unrealistic and melodramatic, and every book is basically the same story with slightly different characters and back stories. Reading them becomes a bit of a chore.
Eli Yanti
Salah satu novel yang benar-benar meremas hati dari wal aku membacanya sampai akhir cerita tapi kok aku suka y dengan tipe cerita spt ini ;)

Lily Langton sudah mencintai Lord Whitby (sahabat karib abangnya – James) sejak dia berusia 9 tahun, yg sekaligus adalah teman bermainnya dimasa kecil dan Lily tidak pernah berhenti menecintainya sampai dia berumur 21 tahun (hem.. benar-benar cinta mati, the first heroine i loved ;)).

Sampai suatu hari ketika ibunya membujuk lily agar segera menikah dengan Lo...more
Karen Wilson
Edward was forced to evaluate his life when faced with very dire prospects. Throughout the story, he also grows up as he becomes responsible for more than just his own life; in fact responsible for someone he cares deeply about.

The story itself is good and the supporting cast, especially Marion's point of view was well-done. There's nothing larger than life or fantastical in the story; which may or may not be a good thing.

The author's afterword explanation did NOT endear Edward to me.
Grace
You know, I want to like this series so much, and it's just not quite there. There was an awful lot of melodrama in this one and to some degree, I didn't completely believe in the relationship, which is a problem since this is a trope I usually love.

Oh well. I suspect I won't be checking any of the other books in the series out anyway, especially given how it seems Annabelle's story will be playing out.
Krissy
I loved this book. This is the book that had me going out and buying every Julianne MacLean book I could find. Absolutely wonderful. The heroine has loved the hero since she was a child. He was her brother's best friend. The poor guy was sick through a big portion of this book. BUT it was required in order for the storyline to go as it was supposed to. I enjoyed it immensely!
Rebecca Huston
I think this was the last really good novel by Julianne MacLean before her books went badly downhill. I really did enjoy this one about a heroine with a scandal in her past and a hero is so very honourable under the caddish exterior. One of my keepers.

For the longer review, please go here:
Lucy
I loved it :) I was really sensitive to Lily's situation. It is so difficult to love someone for so long without that person noticing you. Ah the pain :'(
Besides, Whitby was a difficult man. A bohemian. That makes things even more difficult.
But love found a way, as always, like it is my belief.
Megan
The authors books are pretty predictable when you read them in order. Same story, different person. But I did enjoy Lily's story. Really enjoyed this series.
Amber Garabrandt
characters were great and the plot had several interesting turns, lost a point solely because I would swear I have read this plot a dozen times.
Talkit
I loved the theme of the book and it started off really good. But it quickly got depressing and stayed that way until the last few pages.
Danette Steward
Good writing and plot, but depressing more than anything. I was doubting a happy ending until the very last chapter.
Cornélia
My favourite MacLean Book.
I loved the Heroes. their relationship everything. I couldn't stop reading
Kassie
Very good! Poor Lily had to work so hard for Whitby's love, but all ended well!!!!
Danielle
Absolutely one of my faves to reread, love the love story and patience with perseverance
Teresa
My favorite by Julianne MacLean! I re-read this many times.
Fani
Nov 07, 2012 Fani marked it as maybe-baby  ·  review of another edition
To marry the duke's sequel - Lily and Whitby
Shel
Will definitely re-read
Michele
I absolutely loved this book.
Huong
Boring, skip. DNF.
Valarie38hotmail.com
Valarie38hotmail.com marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Elizabeth Hurley
Elizabeth Hurley marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Joni Hynes
Joni Hynes marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
  • Never Marry a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #3)
  • Lord of Desire (The Risande Family, #1)
  • By Arrangement (Medieval, #4)
  • In the Night (Ryland Brothers, #4)
  • Ruthless Heart (Heart, #1)
  • Revenge Wears Rubies (Jaded Gentleman, #1)
  • One Night With You
  • A Perfect Groom (Sterling trilogy, #2)
  • The Way of the Heart
  • The Perfect Mistress (Mistress, #2)
  • How to Tame Your Duke (A Princess In Hiding, #1)
  • Meet Me Under the Ombu Tree
  • In the Thrill of the Night (Merry Widows, #1)
  • My Only Love
  • Ravishing the Heiress (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #2)
  • Wicked Little Game (Series, #3)
  • The Duke's Indiscretion (Duke Trilogy, #3)
  • Tempt Me (Langley Family Trilogy, #2)
Julianne MacLean is a USA Today bestselling author of over twenty historical romance novels, including The Highlander Trilogy with St. Martin's Press and her popular Pembroke Palace Series with Avon/Harper Collins. She also writes contemporary mainstream fiction, and her 2011 release THE COLOR OF HEAVEN was a digital bestseller. She is a three-time RITA finalist, and has won numerous awards, inclu...more
More about Julianne MacLean...
The Color of Heaven (The Color of Heaven, #1) Captured by the Highlander (Highlander Trilogy, #1) Claimed by the Highlander (Highlander Trilogy, #2) Seduced by the Highlander (Highlander Trilogy, #3) Married By Midnight (Pembroke Palace, #4)

“Strange, how death had a way of turning a table upside down in an instant. It swept away all the dust that covered treasures, blew the fog from one’s view, knocked
away facades.”
4 likes
“He was the luckiest man on earth, and he didn’t know
why.”