Start by marking “No Longer Human, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
No Longer Human, Volume 1

No Longer Human, Volume 1 (No Longer Human #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In honor of the 100th birthday of Osamu Dazai, Usamaru Furuya retells Dazai's most important work No Longer Human in modern day Tokyo where modern vices can bring ruin to the self-loathing.

Furuya's adaptation of No Longer Human takes place nearly seventy years after Dazai's original. Set in modern day Tokyo, Dazai's tale details the life of a young man originally from a we
Published October 25th 2011 by Vertical (first published June 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about No Longer Human, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Longer Human, Volume 1

Tosh
It has been a Usamaru Furuya month for me, since I read "Lychee Light Club early this month. And I liked it a lot - but this is really my cup of sake. "No Longer Human" is a classic and great Osamu Dazai novel, and Furuya does a good job in updating the story (slightly).

A story of a wealthy young teenager who had everything but quickly loses it due to feelings of severe alienation. Yes, it could be a Who rock opera concept, but in the hands of Dazai its a poetic downsizing of a character slowly
Voiceofmadness
A disturbing trilogy that follows a young man who cannot feel empathy. He struggles with connecting to people and forming lasting bonds. The main character uses women throughout the story in order to survive. Ultimately, things always fall apart because of his inability to feel empathy, accompanied by his own ego. Everything revolves around him, instead of the others in his life who are effected by the bad choices he makes. He just gives up and moves on when things get hard or uncomfortable. It' ...more
Dies Irae
Rispetto al romanzo (incentrato sugli inadeguati tentativi di Yozo nel trovare una posizione all'interno del tessuto sociale) si calca la mano sulla psicopatia del protagonista, sorta di alieno fra gli uomini. Il risultato non è affatto disprezzabile; riesce anzi a calare agilmente all'interno del vortice di paura e disistima nei confronti dell'umanità, senza sfociare nella misantropia, focalizzando l'attenzione sull'opprimente assenza di empatia che Yozo incanala in un malessere del tutto perso ...more
Ere K.
Ri-ambientazione in chiave moderna del romanzo omonimo di Dazai Osamu, questo manga in tre volumi a mio parere perde molto del fascino dell'originale, per prendere una strada completamente diversa pur rimanendone molto legato.
L'atmosfera cupa degli ultimi dandy del periodo Showa e le descrizioni pacate e poetiche (per quanto autocommiserevoli) di ciò che c'è di più scabroso, per forza o per amore spariscono, lasciando spazio a immagini spesso molto o troppo fastidiose, in un macabro e spietato r
Edward Lebowski
Tratto dall'omonimo romanzo.
Primo volume.
Angoscia, disperazione, vergogna, schematicità, ripetizioni, sesso, ideologie politiche, annichilimento, suicidio, disagio.

Non vedo l'ora di avere fra le mani il secondo numero.
Prima volta che gli amici japponesi mi incantano e mi fanno addirittura smaniare!
Grayden
Before reading the manga, I have actually watch the anime beforehand and I had a brief idea what's the whole story is about.

However, I find that reading the manga is much more intense compared to the anime.
I think this is because of the play of imagination in my head.

I tried exploring different possibilities regarding the plot, setting, and characters.
I kept asking myself questions like:

What would have happen if he/she didn't do this?
What if the events happen in other countries and not Japan?

It
Miss
Interesting. So character relatability really isn't a requirement for a good novel. I was surprised at how engaged I was by this book despite the fact that I couldn't really relate to the protagonist who basically wanders around disengaged from the world while gradually giving up on trying to perform as a functioning person. I heard of No Longer Human from Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime and I think it did a much better job of taking the basic concept and crafting an engaging relatable character ...more
Brian
I'm really not much of a manga reader, but the plot sounded interesting. It was ok I guess, but the character despondency and general sociopathology left me not really giving a shit. I don't have it in me to appreciate this particular personality type in a character or a person therefore the low rating. All around not my kind of book. Maybe someone that can relate may enjoy this.
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Not sure how I feel about this one yet. I don't think I enjoyed it because I felt so disconnected from the characters. It is well-written and the art is crisp and clean, and I was never distracted from the story. I just don't think that I'm the audience for this series.

Full review soon at www.mangamaniaccafe.com
Russell Grant
This is the first of three volumes and so far so good. It's pretty angst ridden, but the central character is messed up/interesting enough to hold your interest. the way this volume ends makes you want to continue as well. Art and presentation is typical of a Vertical Manga release, which means it's superb.
Monique
A fantastic example of the darkness and misery depression can cause. I'm not sure how the rest of the series is going to go but the first volume was superb. I am very interested to read the original novel as well as the remaining series of comics.
Sherry
Wow. This book is so overwhelmingly sad. Gorgeous art work and rich characters, but so sad. Definitely for mature audiences, it's a fascinating exploration of a downward spiral and the pain that starts someone on that journey.
morbidflight
Furuya Usamaru is one of my favorite mangaka, and his reimagining of No Longer Human is pretty excellent. I love the artistic decisions that went into this, especially the schoolchildren's faces--haunting.
Jasmiina F
This is based on a book and now I'd like to read the book actually. This manga adaptation is great too. Quite sad story, but I like these sort of melancholy stories. Reminds me a bit about Dorian Gray.
Tadamono
Well-written (& illustrated), just...not to my tastes.
Snow
Powerfully depressing, but strangely engaging.

Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Ash
Ash marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Crow Bait
Crow Bait marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Alina
Alina added it
Apr 18, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Patricia
Patricia is currently reading it
Apr 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • What Did You Eat Yesterday?, Volume 1
  • A Drunken Dream and Other Stories
  • No. 5, Volume 1
  • Red Snow
  • Cross Game 2 (Cross Game, #4-5)
  • Wandering Son: Volume Two
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 1 (Children of the Sea, #1)
  • NonNonBa
  • Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture, Volume 1
  • Oishinbo a la carte, Volume 2 - Sake
  • What a Wonderful World!, Volume 2
  • Black Blizzard
  • To Terra..., Vol. 1

No Longer Human (3 books)
  • No Longer Human, Volume 2
  • No Longer Human, Volume 3
Genkaku Picasso, Vol. 1 Lychee Light Club Genkaku Picasso, Vol. 2 Genkaku Picasso, Vol. 3 Jisatsu Circle