Three Daves

Three Daves

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Published February 16th 2010 by Omnific Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Three Daves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Daves

Jennifer Lane
Fun and Insightful 80's Romance!

Omnific Publishing released Three Daves in February of 2010, and I recently had the pleasure of reading the novel. Three Daves features Jen, a college student at Central Illinois University, and her travails with three men named Dave. The first sentence draws the reader right in: "Jennifer Whitney was the last American virgin."

Wow, I really identified with Jen. Not only does she share my name (and doesn't like to be called Jenny), but she has the same self-doubts...more
Julie
Three Daves is the sweetest, tragic yet works out well, love story I have read since The Notebook. Elson has written characters that I adore and every twist, turn, change, growth, obstacle, and step they took I went right along with them. Having just finished reading, I have a sense of relief for the characters, goose bumps on my arms, and a smile on face.

I want to point out that this book is not about Jen, the main character, becoming a slut, or everyone is sleeping with everyone else. This boo...more
Linsey
I remembered this being written and posted as fanfiction previously, but had forgotten the name of the story, so I went looking for it.

I was horrified, and frankly disgusted, to find a quote on the author's own website acknowledging the fact that she had used fanfiction as a testing ground for her novel.

"The funny thing is that I wrote Three Daves before I’d ever even heard of Twilight. But before I got around to polishing it up and seeking publication, I got swept away in Twilight and fanfictio...more
Carol Oates
I enjoyed every single page and read it over two days. I turned eighteen at the end of '91 so I didn't get to live out the 80's the way the characters in this book did, but I do remember it fondly and what I can remember as a teen, this took me right back to.

I really didn't know who was meant to be the hero.I knew guys like all three of the Dave's in my youth. I honestly couldn't say who I wanted to Jen to end up with, if she was to end up with any of them. Nicki Elson does a fantastic job of m...more
Midian Sosa
This book was a time travel machine for me, in a good way!!

I really enjoyed this story, and I’m hard to please.

I’m kind of a youngter so this book also taught me lots!! I mean, the 80’s were awesome. This book had all the things to make a story complete and I just love how Nicki Elson writes, I did not feel like I was missing something, and I didn’t put the book down until I was done!!

I got this book from Omnific’s Twitter party a bit ago, but I know that if I paid for it, I wouldn’t regret it...more
Feather Stone
Three Daves by Nicki Elson
Synopsis:
Jennifer Whitney was the last American virgin. At least that's what she felt like in 1986 as she began her sophomore year at Central Illinois University. She was proud of her decision to wait for the right guy, and yet she was getting restless. It seemed like everyone around her was doing it... and having fun doing it, too. She didn't want to become the campus slut or anything, but surely there was a difference between a trashy skank and a nice girl with a litt...more
Alisha Marie
So, I'm not an 80s child. Although I was born in the 80s, it was so late in the game that it should really be considered the early, early 90s. So, I'm sure I missed some of the inside jokes in Three Daves that made people who actually really lived during the 80s think "Damn! I remember that. I so don't want to remember that!" But still, my imagination can do wonders so that little gripe about not actually having conscious thoughts in the 80s? Yeah it doesn't really bother me much (at least until...more
Samantha Janning
Three Daves was such a fun book to read. I loved the throwback to the 80’s and Nicki Elson did a fantastic job with creating characters and situations. The story is set in 1986 and features Jennifer Whitney, who thinks of herself as the last American virgin. She is a sophomore at Central Illinois University, and getting a bit restless that she still has her V-card. But she doesn’t want to just give it up to just anyone and be coined a campus slut. And she also wants to feel somewhat experienced...more
Robin DeJarnett
As a college student of the eighties, I wish I had as much fun in school as the main character, Jen, did! Ms. Elson's characters ring true, as does her realistic settings, and that drew me in. I could really relate to Jen's attraction to the bad boy, her wanting to be good enough for the good guy, and finally realizing which Dave was really "the one."

Three Daves has kind of a chick-lit feel - it's not a hard and fast romance, rather the evolution of one woman and how she comes to recognize love....more
Andrea (mrsaubergine)
Although I'm not American, I was at our equivalent of "college" in the late 80s, so this book brought back all sorts of memories for me. Not that my experience was quite like that of Jen and her Daves, but the little touches - like the thrill of getting your first VCR - were spot on. I loved the music references too, although I was quite disappointed that Peter Gabriel's name was misspelled.

Anyhoo, this was a nice, light, quick read. The storyline was cute, but I was a little worried for a while...more
Brooke
Fun read! Extra points for the Echo and the Bunnymen references, too. While I contemplated to continue over the first few chapters I am so relieved that I did! At first it reminded me of chick-lit, adult Sweet Valley High-ish fluff but quickly turned into a very real, bittersweet, retro erotica homage to growing up. I couldn't put this down!
The story begins with Jen, college student/last American virgin who winds up coincidentally dating three guys named Dave over the course of her school years...more
Brittany
Three Daves is the journey of Jennifer Whitney through her college relationships, and she just happens to keep falling for guys named Dave. Jen really wants to keep her good girl reputation intact, but she also wants to gain a little experience, so she'll be ready when she meets "the one". So who's "the one", David, Dave, or Big D?

This was such a fun story. All of the characters had their own unique personalities, so there was definitely no problem distinguishing between the Daves. I was rooting...more
Alison Oburia
As a woman who went to college in the 80s, I could totally relate to the main character, Jen, as she meandered her way through three relationships. There were times I truly felt for her and times I laughed so hard my ribs hurt (the Halloween chapter - Oh. My. Word. Too funny!). Even if you didn't go to college in the 80s or any other time, Jen's experiences ring true for any young woman trying to figure out life and love. The characters were real, scenes were well described, and I honestly didn'...more
Fallen Monkey
Three Daves is an absolutely classic Valentine to college life in the ’80s…FAR hipper than my ’90s experience, to be sure, especially where MUSIC was concerned. Props for capturing the decade in all its high-haired and mini-skirted glory, and providing it a brilliantly selected soundtrack that breathes life into the storyline with its plot parallels. I appreciate how this is a modern tale with a saucy flare that still embraces traditional propriety and morality, illustrating how gals can be ladi...more
Micha
As a child of the 80's I loved all the music references that were sprinkled throughout this story. It was a fun trip back in time when we were ALL struggling with the perfect perm, the oversized Flash Dance sweatshirts and stirrup pants and crazy Aziza eye shadow. I loved reading about Jen Whitney and her path to true love and enlightenment. Three Daves was funny, clever and you really, really want Jen to find her way...away from sweet Big D, even further away from the punk, Dave, and into the a...more
Heather
Three Daves describes Jen's journey through college life in the 80s. She learns lessons of love, life and virtue as she explores relationships and intimacy, all while trying to figure out who she is.
Although the setting takes place in the 80s, my favorite era, Jen's story stands the test of time by describing the challenges met by any college student. Jen's life is told in a lighthearted manner but keeps raw to her emotions throughout.
ConnieK
Funny, sweet, and sexy! Although I think any woman would enjoy this book, if she went to college in the 80's, she would especially appreciate and relate to it. The author has an amazingly vivid recall of 80's music, fashion, and slang that made me laugh and cringe (did we really wear those outfits and hairstyles?) at the same time. A perfect summer read!
Tobi Forget the Housework, I'm Reading...
First thoughts after…
Good ending but I'm still left wanting to find out more about the future…

How distracted did I get?
Three Daves is a different kind of romance, different but in a good way. I've never related to a character more. Not in all ways but in some. Jen goes through the usual college crises through the story. At one point I had a hard time getting through some of the story because of how Jen was being treated. The Three Daves I loved one, hated one and one got on my nerves at times. D...more
Mell
I could not finish this book. It felt silly and not well written. Some folks may appreciate the attention to 80's fashion details, but I would have appreciated the same amount of detail to character development. I like a good light read, but this was just too insubstantial.
Saewod Tice
This story brought through so much of the 80's it was like going to college during the era.

The heroine was cute, sweet, and amusing. I loved her interaction with people and in her own head. It was a really fun read with great writing.
Kyle
Apr 05, 2010 Kyle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults
This was a pretty good book. I would NOT recommend for young readers as there is a lot of sex and alcohol use. However, it is a very good book, and I found it hard to put down.
Victoria
Loved, loved, loved this book. I didn't get all the references made since I was born in the 80s but I appreciated the love for music and having a good time.
Chelsey
This is so far out of my usually genres that it's almost laughable. But I've been in a bit of a reading slump lately so when this popped up on my recommendations list I though, why not? Well I'm not sure if it'll do the trick to get me out of my reading slump or not but I did enjoy it. Three Daves is a light coming of age story about Jen as she deals with dating, her virginity, and big hair in the eighties.

I'm a 90s kid so I wasn't sure if I'd like this that much but I found Jen to be a likable...more
Liz Fichera
A fun weekend read and, for me, a walk down memory lane with all the references to southern Illinois.
Renee
cute, funny, deep, romantic and naughty all rolled up
Anne Gallagher
For anyone who wants a trip down memory lane to the 80's, this book is for you.

Sprinkled with euphemisms, music, fashion of the era, and a few well-placed Jane Austenisms, THREE DAVES is a good-time blast from the past with a romantic twist at the end that even I didn't see coming.

Nicki Elson takes us on a journey when rites of passage for girls were plagued with doubt, guilt, and Madonna hair. We follow the main character, Jennifer, through four years of college and three very different men nam...more
Marni
Talk about a flashback of memories. Three Daves starts off in 1986 as Jen is started her sophomore year. Personally, I was starting the 11th grade at that time so the music, bar scenes, mixed tapes, movies and the fashion of that time is all something I could relate to. I was extremely into music during my high school years and, without my parents knowledge, go to the local music venues where I would mix with the local college crowds.

An interesting story. When it first started off and the whole...more
Sara
Jen is trying to figure out who she is. She's a good girl, and she feels like she's the last American virgin. She decides it's time for her to do something about it. Her best friend David just was dumped by his girlfriend, so in her mind it's perfect timing, and he's the safe choice for her. The question is, what happens afterwards? Will their friendship survive?

She then meets Dave, an irresistible punk rocker, who is a babe, and knows it. Despite his ego issues, she's drawn in by the white hot...more
Amanda
Ah Three Daves! It was on my TBR list for far too long because really, I wish I'd read it much sooner. Three Daves is set in the 80's (I. KNOW. RIGHT?!). And let me tell you, Three Daves is an excellent book, no matter what decade you grew up in. If you wore acid wash jeans, a denim jacket, had big hair, wore old concert t-shirts, swooned over hair band guys or wore your heels with socks - you'll love it even more.

I should probably preface this by saying I was born in '81 and didn't reach high s...more
Trisha
I've kept forgetting to write a review for this. But here I am now! I've been wanting to read this book ever since it was released, and I won a copy recently that let me get to it at last. I really enjoyed the read, and not just 'cause it was set in the '80s. I was an '80s child technically, though I literally was a child, since I was born in 1980. But I definitely have a soft spot for the era, and love to see it continuing to get love in now in the "teens" era.

In the early stages of this book I...more
Which Dave do you like? 5 18 Jul 29, 2013 01:00AM
New Adult Book Club: #36 - Three Daves 14 87 Jun 27, 2013 03:20AM
  • Gilded Cage
  • Life, Liberty, and Pursuit
  • Black and White
  • Passion Fish
  • The Way That You Play It
  • Healing Faith (In Your World, #1)
  • Pieces of Us
  • Whirlwind
  • Take the Cake
  • The Darkness of Perfection
  • Grave Refrain: A Love/Ghost Story
  • The Billionaire Bum
  • Cocktails and Dreams (Cocktails and Dreams, #1)
  • Magic at Macy's
  • Indivisible
  • Fourteen
  • Old Wounds (Old Wounds, #1)
  • Cure For Pain
Writing wasn't something Nicki set out to do; it just sort of happened when she realized writing reports was by far her favorite part of her investment consulting position. She traded stock allocation and diversification for story arcs and dialogue and now weaves her creative writing time in with the other activities of her busy life with her family in the Chicago suburbs.

Nicki writes with two go...more
More about Nicki Elson...
Divine Temptation Hans & Greta: a Twisted Fairy Tale Novella Sway Vibrizzio A Valentine Anthology

“C’mon good girl, be bad.” 34 likes
“She was starting to think that it might be fun to be in control of the universe.” 19 likes