Start by marking “My Dadima Wears a Sari” as Want to Read:
My Dadima Wears a Sari

My Dadima Wears a Sari

Every day, Rupas grandmother wears a beautiful Indian sari. Each is brightly colored and very beautiful. Dont you ever want to wear a gray skirt and red blouse with round buttons like Mommy or a green dress like me? Rupa asks. But Dadima prefers to wear her traditional saris. She shares with her granddaughter all the wonderful things that saris can dofrom becoming an umbre ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Peachtree Publishers

To ask other readers questions about My Dadima Wears a Sari, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Dadima Wears a Sari

Kathryn
May 24, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
A similar theme to Mama's Saris, this time featuring a grandmother and her granddaughters and how the young ones learn all the beautiful and useful things about saris (the colors, the fabrics, the way the sari can be a hood in the rain, a fan in the heat, and a basket to hold seashells at the beach!) not to mention the family tradition such as the sari that dadima wore when she came to America, and when she got married. A sweet story with a nice multi-generational element.
Sep 20, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
From the moment I saw this book on the library shelf, I was captivated. The cover of the book drew me in immediately with it's elegant text style and the colorful watercolor illustration of a smiling grandmother wearing a flowing blue and gold sari standing beside two elated young girls, presumably her granddaughters. As I read the book, I was taken by not only gorgeous, detailed illustrations, but by the feelings of comfort, curiosity and zeal radiating from the story. There is the feeling of c ...more
Shelina
Oct 10, 2015 Shelina rated it it was amazing
This is another story which captures the readers from the very beginning. The unique perception of Indian culture and traditions are highlighted by the author in this story. A girl describes how her grandma wears saris every single day and she is not tired of wearing them every day.The grandmother shares her unique ideas of how a sari can be a multi-purpose help in times of need.The illustrations are very simple and neat with soft colors. The pictures are brilliantly painted.The story takes us o ...more
Nov 14, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
This book is about a girl and her grandmother, who wears a sari. The grandmother talks about all of the ways in which a sari can be useful, and the girls starts to imagine some of her own. It is a bit long for very young children, and includes a number of Hindi words. This could be used in conjunction with a curriculum about appreciating different cultures, and embracing such cultural heritages, as the granddaughter does. The Hindi words could be used to talk about different languages, and how f ...more
Alesha
Feb 23, 2015 Alesha rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a nice story about an inquisitive granddaughter who wants to learn more about her grandmother's saris. Though the child is curious about the fashion, her grandmother assures her that a sari can be/do lots of things, like wipe tears, or be a hiding place. This element of the story reminded me of anecdotes that I've heard about a grandmother's apron. It's nice to see how two very distinct articles can be so similar.

This story would make a great read aloud for diversity and inclusion. I lov
Leane
Feb 20, 2011 Leane rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Primary
This story reminded me quite a bit of "What Can You Do With a Rebozo?", a story about the shawl worn by Mexican women. The sari in "My Dadima Wears a Sari" is a form of dress worn by women in India. The book features a grandmother and her two granddaughters; the grandmother wears many different beautiful saris, and the eldest granddaughter asks her grandmother if she ever gets tired of wearing a sari. The grandmother explains all the different uses a sari has and shows her granddaughters all of ...more
Victoria
Apr 17, 2012 Victoria added it
Shelves: text-set
A young girl, Rupa, notices the beautiful saris that her Dadima (grandmother) wears everyday. Rupa wonders if her Dadima ever gets tired of wearing her saris and wants to wear everyday clothing like her mother does. Her Dadima proceeds to tell Rupa all the things she can do with her sari, such as using it to fan themselves on a hot day or to bury seashells collected from the beach. Dadima shows many of her different saris to Rupa and her young sister, Neha. Dadima also shows them 3 of her specia ...more
Katie Logonauts
Indian-American granddaughter Rupa does not understand why her Dadima (grandmother) always chooses to wear a sari, but through the story she learns more about the saris and her Dadima. The author's note includes her own stories of wearing saris as a child and adult and includes step-by-step directions for wrapping your own sari.
Shayne Cope
Mar 30, 2014 Shayne Cope rated it really liked it
I love that this book shows how even younger generations can enjoy traditions of a culture. The saris are so beautiful and the illustrator did a great dob portraying this. I also enjoyed the wonderful relationship between Dadima and her granddaughters.
Candice
Apr 14, 2011 Candice rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie - when she's older
Shelves: picture-books
An excellent multicultural book. Rupa wonders why her grandmother always wears saris instead of pants or a skirt. Her grandmother replies that she never thought of wearing anything but a sari. You can do so many things with a sari - hold seashells, take shelter from a sprinkle, play hide and seek. Little sister Neha joins the two as they go to grandmother's room to look at her saris and she tells them about her favorites. Then she dresses the two granddaughters in saris. Lovely illustrations in ...more
Suzie Bookgirl
Nov 04, 2015 Suzie Bookgirl rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, diwali
A lovely explanation to a child about the wearing of a sari, its comfort and versatility as well as the tradition. Beautiful sentiment accompanied by beautiful illustrations.
D.peabody
Nov 04, 2015 D.peabody rated it really liked it
Wanda
Feb 06, 2014 Wanda rated it it was amazing
I loved it so much! beacause i was also from india and mumbi!!!! it was so fun reading it cause it always reminded me about my colture.!!!!!
Trang
Sep 17, 2012 Trang rated it really liked it
Shelves: multicultural, esol
This is a wonderful book that gives great insight into the meaning and significance of one's cultural dress. Rupa's grandmother or Dadima shares wonderful stories with her about the many uses and meanings of a sari. This would be a great book to use in a classroom or school population that wears saris. It would provide great information and discussion for students to see and understand the significance of a culture's clothing. It can also help to ease anxiety for students who may come to school ...more
Kimberly
Lovely picture book about the traditions a grandmother passes on to her curious young granddaughters. The illustrations are soft and beautiful.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
I am fascinated by saris just as the two little girls in this book. Rupa and Neha learn all about saris from their dadima (grandmother). Dadima teaches them about the lengths, colors, fabrics, uses, and significance of saris. Rupa and Neha even get the chance to wear Dadima's two favorite saris from her wedding and trip to American from India.

At the end of book, a more grown up Rupa shows readers how to wear a sari using step-by-step photographs.
Marcia
Sep 07, 2009 Marcia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Indian culture, clothing
Why doesn't grandmother wear pants or a dress like me wonders Rupa of her grandmother. Dadima always wears a sari. When she shows Rupa all the things she can do with a sari (collect shells, use it as an umbrella) Rupa begins to understand how special this piece of her Indian culture is. Full of imagination, beautiful, colorful saris and the love between a grandmother and her grandaughter this book is a winner.
Kelly Morgan
Dec 02, 2012 Kelly Morgan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family
I love this book. I was always interested in other cultures , such as this one(India). It tells about how a grandma/ dadima explains TI get granddaughters the reason for a sari. This book would be great for 2nd through 5th grade. It even shows the reader at the end of the book , how to wrap a real sari on your body. Ii would be great to read when students ate learning about people and cultures around the world.
Jamie
Oct 16, 2010 Jamie rated it really liked it
This is a great multi-cultural text! The author wrote about her own culture and the tradition of wearing a sari. There are great vocabulary words and insights to another culture! The author's note at the end is an interesting perspective and I especially liked the instructions for wearing a sari at the end. You could let students try to put on a sari with about 3 yards of fabric!
Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds)
Very nicely done.
Enjoyed the weaving of a grandmother-granddaughter relationship, while explaining all about saris. I especially enjoyed the imaginative aspect, when grandmother explains all the different practical uses for a sari (fanning, collecting seashells, protecting from the rain in the jungle). The endpages actually shows the steps for how to wear a sari.
Jodie
May 18, 2013 Jodie rated it really liked it
A young girl wonders why her grandma always wears a sari. During the story the grandma explains some of her history with a sari and what it could be used for (reasons why she would not stop wearing it). Pictures are beautifully done and there are pictures in the back that show a how-to for wearing a sari.
Kerri
Jul 01, 2010 Kerri rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
This was a good book to read during my preschool's cultural week. Various uses of a sari were presented in a charming manner as a grandmother (dadima) interacts with her two granddaugthers.
This book might be a bit lengthy for preschoolers. However, it seemed to hold my class's attention.
Susan Kim
Apr 03, 2013 Susan Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: text-set
Rupa is intrigued by traditional indian clothing and learns the importance of cultural attire from her grandmother. She sees different kinds of saris worn for different occasions. Rupa and her sister is inspired by their grandmother to continue to wear saris.
Ebony Hargett
Apr 09, 2011 Ebony Hargett rated it it was amazing
Loved the illustrations and multicultural education portrayed in the story about a girl from India and her descriptions of how her dadima wears a sari. I would use this story in the classroom during a discussion about India and their cultures.
Alice
Apr 11, 2012 Alice rated it really liked it
I really like Bollywood movies, I have a friend from India and I liked this book. It is all about traditions of India and of course, the sari. Cute book! Even shows you how to wear a sari at the end of the book! Excellent!
Susan
Jan 08, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books-jp
Nice story about a girl and her grandmother and seeing the grandmother's life through the stories of her sari and her loving relationship with her granddaughters. A thoughtfully included last page shows how to wear a sari.
May 02, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story about a girl and her grandmother. This story introduces the reader to the world of the Indian culture and the flowing attire the women wear. Great for talking about family relationships and other cultures.
Lisa
Apr 11, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it
This is a great book to introduce culture into the classroom. The grandmother in this story explains to the girls the importance of her sari and what it means to her.
Karla
Two young girls learn about the sari from their Indian grandmother. Educational and colorfully illustrated. Even instructions on how to wrap a sari at the end.
Michelle
Apr 03, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it
I like this book, because it shows that everyone can learn about other cultures. It also promotes tolerance and understanding of people who are different.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Suki's Kimono
  • Mama's Saris
  • The Good Garden: How One Family Went from Hunger to Having Enough
  • Nasreen's Secret School: A True Story from Afghanistan
  • Bird
  • What Can You Do with a Rebozo?
  • Kitchen Dance
  • Sister Anne's Hands
  • Visiting Day
  • Mama Says: A Book Of Love For Mothers And Sons
  • A New Year's Reunion: A Chinese Story
Kashmira Sheth grew up in Bhavangar, Gujarat, for eight years, when she was three she joined Montessori school. She lived with her grandparents, because her parents lived in Mumbai three hundred miles away from Bhavangar.
At eight years Sheth, left Bhavangar, for Mumbai.
She did her studying there until she was seventeen. She left Mumbai, to go to college, in Ames Iowa to do her BS at Iowa State Un
More about Kashmira Sheth...