My Dadima Wears a Sari

My Dadima Wears a Sari

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  32 reviews
This warm, multigenerational story offers a glimpse into the distinctive culture and customs of India, while reinforcing universal themes of love and the importance of family.

Every day, Rupa's grandmother wears a beautiful sari. Dadima wears her saris around the house and around the town. Some are made of cotton and some are made of fine silk. Each is brightly colored and

Published March 1st 2007 by Peachtree Publishers

To ask other readers questions about My Dadima Wears a Sari, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Dadima Wears a Sari

Kathryn
A similar theme to Mama's Saris, this time featuring a grandmother and her granddaughters and how the young ones learn all the beautiful and useful things about saris (the colors, the fabrics, the way the sari can be a hood in the rain, a fan in the heat, and a basket to hold seashells at the beach!) not to mention the family tradition such as the sari that dadima wore when she came to America, and when she got married. A sweet story with a nice multi-generational element.
Cheryl in CC NV
Lovely, touching without being saccharine, and effectively educational - would be a good addition to a classroom for ages 4-9. I particularly liked the design of the illustrations, how they were arranged differently on different pages, sometimes framed, sometimes flowing - just the way a sari can be worn differently, or a girl can have many different adventures in her life.
From the moment I saw this book on the library shelf, I was captivated. The cover of the book drew me in immediately with it's elegant text style and the colorful watercolor illustration of a smiling grandmother wearing a flowing blue and gold sari standing beside two elated young girls, presumably her granddaughters. As I read the book, I was taken by not only gorgeous, detailed illustrations, but by the feelings of comfort, curiosity and zeal radiating from the story. There is the feeling of c...more
Leane
Feb 20, 2011 Leane rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Primary
This story reminded me quite a bit of "What Can You Do With a Rebozo?", a story about the shawl worn by Mexican women. The sari in "My Dadima Wears a Sari" is a form of dress worn by women in India. The book features a grandmother and her two granddaughters; the grandmother wears many different beautiful saris, and the eldest granddaughter asks her grandmother if she ever gets tired of wearing a sari. The grandmother explains all the different uses a sari has and shows her granddaughters all of...more
Victoria
Apr 17, 2012 Victoria added it
Shelves: text-set
A young girl, Rupa, notices the beautiful saris that her Dadima (grandmother) wears everyday. Rupa wonders if her Dadima ever gets tired of wearing her saris and wants to wear everyday clothing like her mother does. Her Dadima proceeds to tell Rupa all the things she can do with her sari, such as using it to fan themselves on a hot day or to bury seashells collected from the beach. Dadima shows many of her different saris to Rupa and her young sister, Neha. Dadima also shows them 3 of her specia...more
Shayne Cope
I love that this book shows how even younger generations can enjoy traditions of a culture. The saris are so beautiful and the illustrator did a great dob portraying this. I also enjoyed the wonderful relationship between Dadima and her granddaughters.
Candice
Apr 14, 2011 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie - when she's older
Shelves: picture-books
An excellent multicultural book. Rupa wonders why her grandmother always wears saris instead of pants or a skirt. Her grandmother replies that she never thought of wearing anything but a sari. You can do so many things with a sari - hold seashells, take shelter from a sprinkle, play hide and seek. Little sister Neha joins the two as they go to grandmother's room to look at her saris and she tells them about her favorites. Then she dresses the two granddaughters in saris. Lovely illustrations in...more
Wanda
I loved it so much! beacause i was also from india and mumbi!!!! it was so fun reading it cause it always reminded me about my colture.!!!!!
Trang
This is a wonderful book that gives great insight into the meaning and significance of one's cultural dress. Rupa's grandmother or Dadima shares wonderful stories with her about the many uses and meanings of a sari. This would be a great book to use in a classroom or school population that wears saris. It would provide great information and discussion for students to see and understand the significance of a culture's clothing. It can also help to ease anxiety for students who may come to school...more
Kim
Lovely picture book about the traditions a grandmother passes on to her curious young granddaughters. The illustrations are soft and beautiful.
Randie
I am fascinated by saris just as the two little girls in this book. Rupa and Neha learn all about saris from their dadima (grandmother). Dadima teaches them about the lengths, colors, fabrics, uses, and significance of saris. Rupa and Neha even get the chance to wear Dadima's two favorite saris from her wedding and trip to American from India.

At the end of book, a more grown up Rupa shows readers how to wear a sari using step-by-step photographs.
Wastell Mcneil
Dadima is always wearing a sari (a fabric worn around an Indian woman) throughout the book and it amazes her granddaughter Rupa. Rupa's dadima (grandmother) tells her the many things she can do with it and she teaches Rupa how to wrap a sari around her body. Soon enough, she becomes interested in the many colors begins to wear them all the time like her dadima. This book has Indian words in it that are translated throughout the text.
Marcia
Sep 07, 2009 Marcia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Indian culture, clothing
Why doesn't grandmother wear pants or a dress like me wonders Rupa of her grandmother. Dadima always wears a sari. When she shows Rupa all the things she can do with a sari (collect shells, use it as an umbrella) Rupa begins to understand how special this piece of her Indian culture is. Full of imagination, beautiful, colorful saris and the love between a grandmother and her grandaughter this book is a winner.
Kelly Morgan
I love this book. I was always interested in other cultures , such as this one(India). It tells about how a grandma/ dadima explains TI get granddaughters the reason for a sari. This book would be great for 2nd through 5th grade. It even shows the reader at the end of the book , how to wrap a real sari on your body. Ii would be great to read when students ate learning about people and cultures around the world.
Jamie
This is a great multi-cultural text! The author wrote about her own culture and the tradition of wearing a sari. There are great vocabulary words and insights to another culture! The author's note at the end is an interesting perspective and I especially liked the instructions for wearing a sari at the end. You could let students try to put on a sari with about 3 yards of fabric!
Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds)
Very nicely done.
Enjoyed the weaving of a grandmother-granddaughter relationship, while explaining all about saris. I especially enjoyed the imaginative aspect, when grandmother explains all the different practical uses for a sari (fanning, collecting seashells, protecting from the rain in the jungle). The endpages actually shows the steps for how to wear a sari.
Jodie
A young girl wonders why her grandma always wears a sari. During the story the grandma explains some of her history with a sari and what it could be used for (reasons why she would not stop wearing it). Pictures are beautifully done and there are pictures in the back that show a how-to for wearing a sari.
Kerri
This was a good book to read during my preschool's cultural week. Various uses of a sari were presented in a charming manner as a grandmother (dadima) interacts with her two granddaugthers.
This book might be a bit lengthy for preschoolers. However, it seemed to hold my class's attention.
Susan Kim
Rupa is intrigued by traditional indian clothing and learns the importance of cultural attire from her grandmother. She sees different kinds of saris worn for different occasions. Rupa and her sister is inspired by their grandmother to continue to wear saris.
Ebony Hargett
Loved the illustrations and multicultural education portrayed in the story about a girl from India and her descriptions of how her dadima wears a sari. I would use this story in the classroom during a discussion about India and their cultures.
Alice
I really like Bollywood movies, I have a friend from India and I liked this book. It is all about traditions of India and of course, the sari. Cute book! Even shows you how to wear a sari at the end of the book! Excellent!
Susan
Nice story about a girl and her grandmother and seeing the grandmother's life through the stories of her sari and her loving relationship with her granddaughters. A thoughtfully included last page shows how to wear a sari.
A beautiful story about a girl and her grandmother. This story introduces the reader to the world of the Indian culture and the flowing attire the women wear. Great for talking about family relationships and other cultures.
Lisa
This is a great book to introduce culture into the classroom. The grandmother in this story explains to the girls the importance of her sari and what it means to her.
Karla
Two young girls learn about the sari from their Indian grandmother. Educational and colorfully illustrated. Even instructions on how to wrap a sari at the end.
Michelle
I like this book, because it shows that everyone can learn about other cultures. It also promotes tolerance and understanding of people who are different.
Leona
This book has a touching story about a grandmother and granddaughter talking about the grandmother's saris and all the things she can do with them.
Indira
I gave this book to my mom a long time ago and thought it would be nice to share with Luxmi, since her Didima wears a sari, too. :)
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
I learned the word Dadima means grandma. A sari is like a dress scarf. I like dressing up so I like saris. D.A.D.
Brooke
May 02, 2010 Brooke added it
i would use this book when talking about families and different cultures.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Suki's Kimono
  • Nasreen's Secret School: A True Story from Afghanistan
  • My Name Is Sangoel
  • Kitchen Dance
  • What Can You Do with a Rebozo?
  • I Love Saturdays y Domingos
  • Fletcher and the Springtime Blossoms
  • The Magical Garden of Claude Monet (Anholt's Artists Books for Children)
  • Forever Friends
  • Pierre the Penguin: A True Story
  • Mommy, Mama, and Me
  • Listen to the Wind: the Story of Dr. Greg & Three Cups of Tea
  • My Abuelita
Kashmira Sheth grew up in Bhavangar, Gujarat, for eight years, when she was three she joined Montessori school. She lived with her grandparents, because her parents lived in Mumbai three hundred miles away from Bhavangar.
At eight years Sheth, left Bhavangar, for Mumbai.
She did her studying there until she was seventeen. She left Mumbai, to go to college, in Ames Iowa to do her BS at Iowa State Un...more
More about Kashmira Sheth...
Boys Without Names Keeping Corner Koyal Dark, Mango Sweet Blue Jasmine Tiger in My Soup