Start by marking “Stress Fracture” as Want to Read:
Stress Fracture

Stress Fracture (Dub Walker #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  24 reviews
When Dub Walker’s close friend Sheriff Mike Savage becomes the victim of a gruesome murder, the forensic expert is called upon to track down the serial killer who's been terrorizing the county.Having been involved in more than 100 cases of foul play and witnessed the bloody remains of rape, torture, and unthinkable mutilation, Dub thought he had seen it all—yet the killer ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Medallion Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Stress Fracture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stress Fracture

Suspense Magazine
If there were an award for the Best Chapter Endings, D.P. Lyle would be the hands down winner. A master in the art of tethering readers to each and every crisp, deftly written word, his bold imagery snakes through the pages of his latest action packed thriller “Stress Fracture,” making it physically painful to put down.

Dub Walker—an expert consultant in crime scene investigation—is shaken to the core by the butchery as he lingers in the home and now crime scene of his friend and former Huntsvil
This book read like an episode of Law & Order...come to find out the author is one of the show's consultants. A few missteps in the book, like, "she snapped her iPhone closed"?? But no big deal. Not too creepy. Read just like a tv show!
Adrienne Campbell
I liked this novel well enough to finish it. It wasn't my favorite but then again it wasn't so much the story as the typos throughout that were annoying.

Also, when reading this (or any novel)on an e reader there are certain things that cannot be adjusted. For instance, in this novel there is a page that would appear to be a handwritten list made by the main character. While the font can be enlarged for the rest of the story it cannot be enlarged for pages such as this. Very frustrating when I c
This is a really good book that introduces us to Dub, a crime fighter from good old Alabama. I really enjoyed the fast pace and all of the action thrown in however, I did find some issues that were a bit bothersome. First off was the cool use of the cop speak letter jingo. Take for an example HPD. Now I read a lot of mystery novels and have an actual law enforcement background so lets use this experience to dissect this. The PD part of HPD was the easy part, lets explain that one as Police Depar ...more
While I wasn't overly impressed with the book as a whole, I did love the twists and how the author really came up with this fantastical method of delivery of the plot. This was a great read for an easy murder mystery. The character development was a little lacking; it would have been nice to get a bit more background on the main characters to understand them a bit more.
Nothing wrong with this book. I enjoyed it, but at the same time I thought it was a bit...bland. For being written by a doctor, it seemed to have very little medical jargon or flair.

Knowing the killer from the beginning also takes away an awful lot of suspense...
Noted author and retired homicide detective Dub Walker occasionally still consults for the FBI's Behavioral Assessment Unit. When his friend Sheriff Mike Savage is brutally murdered in Alabama, Dub is called in to help investigate. Dub learns that two other people have been murdered and the only thing all have in common is contact with an Iraqi war veteran suffering from PTSD. Although in treatment, the man still becomes extremely violent and out of control. Could it be that the drug companies a ...more
This book was OK. There were some very interesting parts, some really boring parts. Dub Walker could turn out to be an interesting character, but I didn't think he was fully developed. Maybe that's to come in further stories. Honestly, my biggest take away was the distracting names of the main characters - Dub and T-Tommy. I found them distracting while reading.
Great character in Dub. So.glad this is a series. One is not enough.
With a slow start but an excellent finish, book one shows a lot of promise for this series. Dub Walker is looking for a killer and not just any killer but one that took the life of a police officer. Along with his ex-wife who is a reporter, they search for the man committing such violent crimes. A book that really gets your attention towards the middle and ends with you wanting more. I plan to read the next book in the series for sure.
Although I had high hopes for Lyle who is a forensic expert, the main character here, Dub Walker, makes several questionable decisions throughout the story. He loses credibility as a reliable narrator when he chooses to taunt a serial killer and places himself on TV just to goad the killer on.
Laronza Wiley-moore
This book made me want to start the Dub Walker series. Him along with his sometimes hook up ex wife made me really like them. It had the right amount of scares and of course the twist at the end that mad eyou say.. Well Damn... I guess I was wrong!! lol
Dan Perez
It was a good, fast paced book. Started on the first page and didnt end until the last. Brian Kurtz was a beast in the book. I thought it was a pretty gruesome book but overall it was a good one and recommend to anyone who is in to CSI tv shows.
I found the blood spatter design to be distracting on the pages and the first word of each chapter was covered in black, which was odd (and hard to read.) This book was just okay.
Olean Public Library
-Dub Walker has solved crimes and written best selling books. Now he is trying to stop a violet murderer who doesn’t fit the norm. Fast paced and interesting.
I really enjoyed this book. Dub Walker was a great new character. Excellent police/detective procedural. I look forward to more from DP Lyle.
Aurora Ryan
Meh. This book had just enough suspense to keep me reading but it wasn't that great.
Gruesome story and super writing. Am enjoying this writer.
It was good enough for me to continue the series.
Adele Ratzlaff
wasn't a bad book. it was fast paced.
Great book fast moving
Jessie marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
  • Blown Away
  • The Samurai Strategy
  • Silent Screams
  • Bad Thoughts (Bill Shannon, #1)
  • Dead Politician Society (Clare Vengel Undercover, #1)
  • The Commission (Sam Kincaid, #1)
  • Color Me Grey (Alexis Stanton Chronicles, #1)
  • County Line
  • The Hunt
  • The Killing Code
  • The Blue Light Project
  • Guns
  • The Devil's Cradle (Kendall O'Dell #2)
  • Cooking the Books (Sloane Templeton Mysteries #1)
  • The Killing Room
  • From the Ashes
  • Blood Country (Claire Watkins, #1)
  • Capitol Reflections
D.P. Lyle, MD, operates The Writer’s Medical and Forensics Lab at He has served as a consultant for prominent writers and television programs, including Law & Order.

D.P. Lyle, MD is the Macavity Award winning and Edgar Award, Scribe Award, and USA Best Book Award nominated author of many non-fiction books (MURDER & MAYHEM; FORENSICS FOR DUMMIES; FORENSICS & FICTION; M
More about D.P. Lyle...

Dub Walker (2 books)
  • Hot Lights, Cold Steel
Forensics for Dummies Forensics: A Guide for Writers Forensics and Fiction: Clever, Intriguing, and Downright Odd Questions from Crime Writers Murder and Mayhem: A Doctor Answers Medical and Forensic Questions for Mystery Writers More Forensics and Fiction: Crime Writers' Morbidly Curious Questions Expertly Answered