Start by marking “A Dance for Three” as Want to Read:
A Dance for Three

A Dance for Three

When fifteen-year-old Hannah becomes pregnant and her rich, popular boyfriendclaims he is not responsible, she is forced to face some hard facts about herlife.
Published March 7th 2000 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A Dance for Three, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dance for Three

Someone Like You by Sarah DessenForever by Judy BlumeDreamland by Sarah DessenGo Ask Alice by Beatrice SparksPerfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles
YA Sex & Pregnancy Novels
60th out of 285 books — 591 voters
Someone Like You by Sarah DessenBoys Don't Cry by Malorie BlackmanAfter by Amy EfawCrank by Ellen HopkinsJumping Off Swings by Jo Knowles
Teen Pregnancy
60th out of 194 books — 206 voters

More lists with this book...

Daisy
Jun 07, 2016 Daisy rated it really liked it
-This book is about a couple that likes each other and been knowing each other for a while.Hannah’s mom finds out Hannah is pregnant, her mom didn’t ask what will she do with the baby or ask how she feels about it. She doesn’t even ask if she’s going to school.Hannah’s dad died by burping, it didn’t say when and where.Her mom ends up passing out in her house and got send to the hospital and Hannah got sent there too. They thought Hannah was crazy and sent her to rehab because she needed help ...more
Christine
May 11, 2012 Christine rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
15-year-old Hannah discovers she is pregnant. At first she is thrilled and imagines a perfect life with her rich boyfriend. However, her dreams are shattered when Milo reacts negatively to the pregnancy and beats Hannah up. She experiences a psychotic break and is hospitalized where she does a lot of thinking.

The book seemed to be very real about teen pregnancy without getting graphic or crude. I also enjoyed the references to Mormonism without being too over the top. Hannah’s character is sympa
Erin
Aug 04, 2009 Erin rated it it was amazing
This book was not as funny as Kate Bjorkman, but it's very well-written. Plummer weaves Rudyard Kipling's "Seal Lullaby" through the story of Hannah, a fifteen-year-old girl who becomes pregnant and disillusioned about her jerk boyfriend, Milo. Meanwhile, Hannah's mother, who became agoraphobic, following her father's sudden death, is reminiscent of the mom in "Everything Is Fine," which causes Hannah to grow up--and break down--too young. This book is the best of YA literature: funny, honest, ...more
Maria
Sep 14, 2010 Maria rated it liked it
My english teacher had us read this book my junior year of high school. I don't remember much about it but I do remember reading this book was the first time I looked deeper than the printed words and realized text could have more than one meaning.
Priscila Cervantes
Nov 21, 2013 Priscila Cervantes rated it it was amazing
If you like to read books that have to do with life struggling about young teens, A Dance for Three by Louie Plummer will probably be a good book for you to read. This is a interesting book that starts off with the character talking about her problem, Milo. She gets pregnant at the age of 15 and Hannah, the main character, is still in school. This story is based at around her neighborhood and at the hospital. I think this was a really well written book especially because it has some funny parts ...more
Keegan
Jun 16, 2016 Keegan rated it really liked it
I first thought of reading Louise Plummer because I took a class (Imagination and Memoirs) from her husband at BYU. Apparently, she used to teach the class with him and tons of people were disappointed that she wouldn't be teaching that semester because she'd retired. I'd never even heard of her. So now--three years later--I thought I'd like to know what it was that everyone admired about her as a writer, and I found out.

This plot, in many senses, doesn't seem new: fifteen-year-old girl meets bo
Janie Buckley
Aug 09, 2016 Janie Buckley rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful book that addressed the issue of teen pregnancy (within the sub-culture of Mormonism) in a very poignant, heavy, but ultimately hopeful way. The main character, Hannah, finds out that she is pregnant by Milo, a boy who comes from a well-to-do family and who makes her feel wanted. She is very naive about her situation, believing that she and Milo will end up as one big happy family. Reality comes crashing down hard on her when Milo, in a rage, hits her when she tells him ...more
Holly
Nov 02, 2009 Holly rated it really liked it
I took a creative writing class from Louise Plummer when I was at BYU. I wish I had discovered her sooner because I would have taken every class she taught. She is just so funny and smart. And she made me feel like I could write a story. Last week I decided I would look up her books at the library and see what else she has written in the 13 years since I took her class.

A Dance for Three is a young adult book, but I don't think I would want my daughter to read it until she was at least 14 becaus
Sandra Strange
Sep 03, 2009 Sandra Strange rated it did not like it
This novel, centered around a teen’s pregnancy, its psychological causes and resulting struggle with mental illness, would be excellent since it deals realistically with many good issues. Unfortunately, Ms. Plummer felt she had to add a REALLY EXPLICIT sex scene to make the point that the guy involved was so insensitive and unloving and uncaring he had to “score” when the Jazz “scored.” Not only is the scene unnecessarily explicit, it’s in really bad taste, as it was meant to be. It totally ...more
Melanie
Oct 19, 2009 Melanie rated it really liked it
I read this book for a university children's lit class, and then I made my sister read it. She was exactly one week older than Hannah is in the book at that time, and it hit her hard, which is what good literature should do. I liked this book for several reasons. The first is that it is a sensitive portrayal of teenage pregnancy. Louise Plummer surprised me on that, because normally her books are funny and light. This book had its moments of humor, so it didn't get too heavy, but it felt very ...more
Charlotte
Sep 17, 2009 Charlotte rated it really liked it
This book really depressed me at first. "A Dance for Three" is a book about teen pregnancy, a pretty depressing subject on the outset. The father, Milo, completely rejects responsibility, and the seemingly hopeless mess Hannah finds herself in is complicated and overwhelming. For the first third of the book, I was depressed, but after Hannah is admitted into the hospital (the psych ward--I won't tell any more than that), her process to recovery and wholeness is encouraging. I ended up really ...more
Laura Craner
Dec 30, 2009 Laura Craner rated it liked it
You know, this book wasn't bad but it didn't blow me away either. It was so Sarah Dessen--minus the cussing and the booze. One thing I really did appreciate was the outright Mormon-ness of the novel. I thought the bishop was an interesting character--I kind of wish the book had been told from his point of view--and I love the way the ward comes in to help out. All that aside, I think if I were still a teenage girl this book would have been VERY meaningful to me and I hope, hope, hope it is ...more
Jennie Lopez
Dec 14, 2010 Jennie Lopez rated it really liked it
My English teacher Mr, Debarger told me about this book, and so for it's pretty good i'm on page 89, and still cant stop reading. It's about a younge 15 yr old girl, who has sex relationship with a boy she's dating, and soon after she get's pregnate and the younge boy wants nO PART OF IT!So I finished(A Dance for Three)a real good book. It really let's you know people arent really the people you think they are,there's always diffrent walls attached to them. I requrment girls to read this book ...more
Sha
Feb 18, 2008 Sha rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Teenage Girls
Recommended to Sha by: Fort Mill Library
I really enjoyed reading this book and love how the topic- A Dance for Three- was derived from it because its based on three point of views of a teenage girl that had evetually gotten pregnant. I becane really interested though when it occurred to me that the girl was fifteen because I am fifteen and it's just astonishing to me to read about the lives of teens my age because I never know what could come upon my life at this age.
Brandy
Jun 07, 2010 Brandy rated it it was ok
Shelves: lds-stories
I actually think I would give this 2.5 stars. It wasn't really that bad of a book, but just like 2 stars says I feel it was "OK".

This is a book about a teenage mormon girl who gets pregnant. Not only that but how she basically has a mental breakdown and her recovery from it. I am sure this kind of thing happens, but some parts seemed a little out there while others seemed a little cliche.

I wouldn't say I don't recommend this book, but I am not saying it was great either.
Jamie Duncan
Nov 02, 2010 Jamie Duncan rated it really liked it
I had read a book that Louise wrote, years ago, called Thoughts of a Grasshopper and I just enjoyed how her mind worked. Much different than mine, but so refreshing. This book did not disappoint. The characters were very real and developed fully and intentionally.

It is a hard topic, about a young girl going through a teenage pregnancy with many demons in her closet from a difficult set of circumstances from childhood, but throughout the book, she learns and grows and conquers.
Tracie
Mar 25, 2010 Tracie rated it really liked it
I read this book some years ago, as an adult studying YA books. It's dark. And I don't remember much of the over all story--though I probably could if I tried to. But there is one part that comes to mind over and over again. In fact it came up in a conversation with a friend just the other day. One of those comments that starts out, "I remember reading in a book years ago........." And I really think this should be a must read book for teenage girls.
Robyn
Jun 13, 2012 Robyn rated it it was amazing
This book made me laugh and cry. I love Lousie Plummer, her writing style is just perfect to me. Hannah was so real, so lost without her father and mother, so perfect a victim for Milo. The journey she took to heal and find perspective was, oh I can't think of the words, I just could not put the book down.
Karen
Jan 13, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
I've been reading some books I've had on my shelf for a long time and I need to clear them out. We've known Louise and Tom since Boston days and they're both talented writers. They're also very funny. This book tackles a more sober issue - teen pregnancy - and it was well done. This is also the last book I read in 2012 and I didn't make my goal of 100 books for the year. I only got to 89.
Jessica
Jun 30, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
An absolutely heart-rending look at teen pregnancy. The young protagonist is so certain that her boyfriend is the ultimate, that they will get married and live happily ever after with their beautiful baby, that you just sob as you watch her grow up . . . because she's hardly more than a baby herself at fifteen, and her life doesn't go as she'd planned. Gorgeous, gorgeous book!
Lori
Jun 28, 2008 Lori rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Louise Plummer was a professor at BYU. Because of her close connection to my culture and my home, I gave her a try. This is a fantastic book about the struggles of teen pregnancy. This is the book that made me think I could possibly, one day, potentially, perhaps, be an author.
Brandy
Jul 20, 2008 Brandy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teenagers
When Hannah tells her boyfriend she is pregnant, he beats her up. She is put in a psychiatric hospital after cracking one night. She is able to regain stability through psychiatric help, and at the end she decides whether to keep the baby or give it up for adoption.

DO NOT read if offended by: sex, light swearing, violence, and self-mutilation.

Mary
Dec 28, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it
Kandi
Jun 28, 2010 Kandi rated it it was ok
I read this in a YA Lit class at BYU. I really wasn't too fond of the story, but there is a moment when the main character is at this concert-in-the-park type event and realizes something (hint--title of the book) that is pretty powerful. Other than that, though, I'm not a huge fan of this book.
Janelis Torres
I ReaLy Like this book when i read it. This book show me that never trust nobody with what you do.When you have a boy friend dont realy believe when he says i love you , because at the end he turns his back and walk away.This is what happend to the main character.
Cheyenne
Dec 13, 2014 Cheyenne rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Spoiler-ish;
I couldn't believe how disgusting Milo and his family is, except for his brother, Roman. I really hoped that Roman would of told Hannah how he felt about her also.
Over-all, i really liked it!
Jen
May 24, 2009 Jen rated it liked it
It was pretty weird, but very honest and true. I don't completely recommend it.. but.. I don't know :)
alisonwonderland
i wanted to absolutely love this book, but that didn't happen. i did like it a lot - but i think it had a bit more potential than it delivered and that was disappointing to me.
Kendell
Apr 25, 2009 Kendell rated it it was ok
A sad tale of teen pregnancy, abusive boyfriends, and having to grow up quickly. My daughter's book, I would recommend for teens.
Stephanie
May 14, 2008 Stephanie rated it liked it
After a psychotic breakdown, the pregnant teenaged main character winds up in a mental ward for teenagers, trying to figure out her life...
  • Dancing Naked
  • The Only Alien on the Planet
  • My Angelica
  • Dont You Dare Read This, Mrs. Dunphrey: Teacher Guide (Novel Units)
  • Welcome Home, Jellybean
  • The Redwall Trilogy: "Redwall", "Mossflower" and "Mattimeo" (Red Fox Older Fiction)
  • Blue Skin of the Sea
  • Girlhearts (Sarabeth, #2)
  • Sharing Susan
  • A Storyteller in Zion
  • Hugging the Rock
  • Comfort
  • Searching for David's Heart: A Christmas Story
Louise Plummer is a noted author young-adult fiction and a retired associate professor of English for Brigham Young University. She lives in New York, New York with her writer/professor husband Tom. Together they have four sons.

The Plummers moved from Boston to Minnesota in 1971 when Tom took a position at the University of Minnesota. While there, Louise earned a master’s degree in English. They
More about Louise Plummer...