Start by marking “The Color of Family” as Want to Read:
The Color of Family

The Color of Family

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  6 reviews
A poignant and provactive novel of truth, race, and religions.
Published November 30th 2004 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Color of Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Color of Family

Lizzann
The story opens in New Orleans, LA in 1957 and the subsequent death of a young black man in a car accident. The story focuses on interracial relationships, then and now, as well family relationships. His twin sister Antonia firmly believes that that before being killed, he fathered a child with a white woman. Her tenacity to prove its truth, affects the lives of every character in the book over the next 50 years.

For me, it was a story of decision making and how those decisions made by mothers r
Diana
This book wasn't exactly what I thought it would be when I first picked it up. I thought it would focus mainly on race but instead it was more about general family drama, insecurities and memories that could take place with anyone. When I first started reading it, I didn't really like the main character Antonia. I found her to be a bit too nosy and pushy. However as the book went on, I started to understand her motivations a bit more.

I also thought some of the other characters should have been
Alyse
This book was so bad in so many ways: it was boring & slow. I had to force myself to read it. I don't like how it ended with a group being demonized - so "out there" from anything I've experienced or could even create in my head. I mean really? A mother actually leaving her husband and CHILDREN after finding out part of their blood is "black"? Horrendous. And this book was written in 2004? Get a grip, Patricia. #realitycheck I recycled this book instead of donating it like I usually do, lest ...more
Hxlarisse
It is a very provocative book that leaves you with a big what if at several turns like what if Emeril was saved? what if Agnes' reputation wasn't that of a sleazy teenager?

Although some parts of the book was constructed with only her notes for a guide, due to Ms. Jones' untimely death, the book is a wonderful legacy retelling the age old theme of how love can conquer all obstacles, because deep inside we are all the same in God's eyes.
Sue Ribeiro
Apr 02, 2008 Sue Ribeiro rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone in a multi-racial family especially
Recommended to Sue by: on sale at Barnes and Nobles! :-)
I loved this book! it was one of those pleasant family stories, with no stress and just the right amount of drama to be believable. I found the subtle intertwining of racial issues and tensions to be refreshingly honest. Black and white story lines are often just divided rather than mingled together, I think.
Apparently the author died since this book was written, so I will track down her other 2 and see how they read!
Misshaq
I just started this and so far I am already interested in the plot and story line. Will update and give a rating when I am finished!
Stefanie
Stefanie marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Renita
Renita marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2013
Tyaneka
Tyaneka marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2013
Rita
Rita added it
Jun 11, 2013
Ronald Wilcox
Ronald Wilcox marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2013
Whitney Alice
Whitney Alice marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2013
Ms Murchison
Ms Murchison marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Passing Red on a Rose: A Novel Say It and Live It Pediatric Laboratory Medicine Fair, Brown, and Trembling: An Irish fairy tale (Slottie library)