Start by marking “The Color of Family” as Want to Read:
The Color of Family

The Color of Family

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  58 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
A poignant and provactive novel of truth, race, and religions.
Published November 30th 2004 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Color of Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Color of Family

Lizzann
Aug 26, 2014 Lizzann rated it really liked it
The story opens in New Orleans, LA in 1957 and the subsequent death of a young black man in a car accident. The story focuses on interracial relationships, then and now, as well family relationships. His twin sister Antonia firmly believes that that before being killed, he fathered a child with a white woman. Her tenacity to prove its truth, affects the lives of every character in the book over the next 50 years.

For me, it was a story of decision making and how those decisions made by mothers r
Diana
Mar 06, 2014 Diana rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
This book wasn't exactly what I thought it would be when I first picked it up. I thought it would focus mainly on race but instead it was more about general family drama, insecurities and memories that could take place with anyone. When I first started reading it, I didn't really like the main character Antonia. I found her to be a bit too nosy and pushy. However as the book went on, I started to understand her motivations a bit more.

I also thought some of the other characters should have been
Dacia
Feb 17, 2016 Dacia rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was very nicely written. It's amazing a secret like that was kept for so long. I liked Antonia. She was who she was regardless of what was said about her. I understood her obsession with unveiling the truth. The ending revealed just how ignorant some people are.
Alyse
Jul 22, 2014 Alyse rated it did not like it
This book was so bad in so many ways: it was boring & slow. I had to force myself to read it. I don't like how it ended with a group being demonized - so "out there" from anything I've experienced or could even create in my head. I mean really? A mother actually leaving her husband and CHILDREN after finding out part of their blood is "black"? Horrendous. And this book was written in 2004? Get a grip, Patricia. #realitycheck I recycled this book instead of donating it like I usually do, lest ...more
Hxlarisse
Jun 22, 2009 Hxlarisse rated it it was amazing
It is a very provocative book that leaves you with a big what if at several turns like what if Emeril was saved? what if Agnes' reputation wasn't that of a sleazy teenager?

Although some parts of the book was constructed with only her notes for a guide, due to Ms. Jones' untimely death, the book is a wonderful legacy retelling the age old theme of how love can conquer all obstacles, because deep inside we are all the same in God's eyes.
Sue Ribeiro
Apr 02, 2008 Sue Ribeiro rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone in a multi-racial family especially
Recommended to Sue by: on sale at Barnes and Nobles! :-)
I loved this book! it was one of those pleasant family stories, with no stress and just the right amount of drama to be believable. I found the subtle intertwining of racial issues and tensions to be refreshingly honest. Black and white story lines are often just divided rather than mingled together, I think.
Apparently the author died since this book was written, so I will track down her other 2 and see how they read!
Misshaq
Dec 09, 2010 Misshaq rated it really liked it
I just started this and so far I am already interested in the plot and story line. Will update and give a rating when I am finished!
Nell Bennett
Nell Bennett marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Acquelline.K
Acquelline.K marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Paula
Paula added it
Feb 11, 2016
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Shawn
Shawn rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Dec 23, 2015
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Tara
Tara is currently reading it
May 18, 2016
Cheryl James
Cheryl James marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Lydia
Lydia rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Falen Benton
Falen Benton rated it really liked it
May 07, 2015
Jovina Moore
Jovina Moore marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Suyapa Laboriel
Suyapa Laboriel marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Lizette Lizardi
Lizette Lizardi marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Silvia-otilia Mihalcea
Silvia-otilia Mihalcea marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
LeAnn
LeAnn rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2014
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2014
Sandi Gillett
Sandi Gillett rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Shakira
Shakira rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2013