Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy ” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy

The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,386 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
A compendium of comic fantasy writing. Most of the stories are modern, with many especially written for this collection. The book also includes classic reprints and rare gems from comic fantasy's roots in past years.
Published 1998 by Robinson

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy

Nevyana
Много интересна колекция. Горе-долу половината разкази бяха, меко казано не по вкуса ми. Хумористичната страна се оказа трудна за откриване. Останалите, обаче, бяха изключително приятни.
Wendy
Jul 06, 2008 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying that this is a huge book. There are only 512 pages, but it seems to go on forever. I think that this book would be enjoyed most if it was placed on a coffee table in your living room and picked up every now and again when you are in the mood for a short read. But to sit down and read it straight through was quite a chore.

I originally picked this book up solely for the Terry Pratchett Discworld story 'Troll Bridge'. But there are quite a few great stories in here. My favor
Todd
Nov 14, 2014 Todd rated it liked it
Since this is a short story collection, I'm rating all of the stories with the Goodreads star value. I know, it's a crazy task, but I'm up to it.

Introduction - 2 stars
Peregrine: Alflandia - 1 star (confusing and not at all funny)
Pizza To Go - 2 stars (starts strong, ends weak)
A Malady Of Magicks - 3 stars
Golden Apples Of The Sun - 4 stars
Death Swatch - 5 stars
Press Ann - 5 stars (the unusual form adds to the story)
Troll Bridge - 4 stars (classic Discworld)
The Toll Bridge - 2 stars
Alaska - 3 star
Anna
Mar 14, 2016 Anna rated it it was ok
Most of the stories in this were not even funny. Actually, in most cases I had to try and remind myself that they were even supposed to be funny. Maybe it is just me not being British enough and not understanding the humour in some of these, but I am very glad I only paid 2 euros for this book at a flea market.

It felt like the better stories were in the beginning and in the end, so no wonder the middle part took me like 2 months to get through.
Amelia
Nov 20, 2014 Amelia rated it it was amazing
I actually bought this a couple of summers ago when my friends and I discovered a used book shop. But this book has every type of comic fantasy that you could want like how many years does it take monkeys to type Shakespeare to an evil overlord getting his castle redecorated for his upcoming wedding.
Stoneme Mayo
Aug 12, 2008 Stoneme Mayo rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Get past the first story (I found the language hard going) by Avram Davidson to get into a good Tom Holt short. A demon of a third story with a charming ending by Craig Shaw Gardner then follows.
Next a dark humour-less story about the pitfalls of selling home computers to fairies by Gardner Dozois,Jack Dann and Michael Swanwick. At last a laugh-out-loud story of pre-nuptuals between "The Grim Lord" and "Princess Minuriel" - "Death Swatch" by Esther Friesner is a breath of "fresh" air.
Overall a g
Seliat
Nov 13, 2015 Seliat rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I think the book will be fun for enyone to read and to solve the mysteries and it amazon
Cornelia
Aug 11, 2014 Cornelia rated it liked it
As with any anthology, some stories were more appealing than others. All in all, worth the read.
Jewels
Nov 08, 2015 Jewels rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
Obviously, I do not share a sense of humor with Mike Ashley. I don't think I cracked a smile the whole time I was reading this, and it was a bit of a chore to get through. I did like the stories by some of my favorite writers, such as Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, but even their stories were more wistful or dark than what I would expect in a 'comic' fantasy. I do get dark humor, don't get me wrong, but I just wasn't feeling it in this volume.
Tanya
Jan 09, 2014 Tanya rated it really liked it
Some stories were funny, others were unexpected, thirds were extraordinary. A good 4 points from me. I'm not giving 5 because some of the stories were too awkward to understand and I don't see them as "comic fantasy".
Timothy Tobolski
Aug 26, 2011 Timothy Tobolski rated it liked it
Shelves:
Been a long long time since I read this, and since I recently acquired two of the other five volumes (and just discovered I still need two more) I figured I'd start plowing through these again. I've gotten to the point of requiring all my fantasy reading to contain at least a modicum of humor; let's face it, Tom Holt and Terry Pratchett have spoiled me.

Besides which, I simply cannot recommend the Mammoth Book series enough.
Kelly
Nov 30, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Some stories were better than others. I primarily brought it for the short story by Terry Pratchett.
There are some good offerings notably:
Ruella in Love by Molly Brown
The Return of Mad Santa by Al Sarrantonio
Shoggoths Old Peculiar by Neil Gaiman
Although many of the stories did not make me laugh out loud, they were still highly amusing.
Victoria
Apr 14, 2013 Victoria rated it liked it
"Comic" fantasy is a misnomer for me. Quirky is probably a better adjective for my read. There were some stories that were enjoyable, some that were interesting, and some that were ponderous (mostly in the middle) to the point where I was skimming. I read the whole book a few pages at a time, and it did lend itself well to reading in that style.
Mike
Apr 16, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it
This is a very funny collection of short stories. They are all over the map in style and setting. Not all are laugh-out-loud, but every story is worth reading. I read this book over a very long period of time, using it as a short "time-filler" since the individual stories take only a few minutes.
Tucker
Nov 09, 2014 Tucker added it
Shelves: finished, eunuch
There is a eunuch short story in here: Jane Yolen's "The Tale of the Seventeenth Eunuch." As described, with spoiler, on Disruptive Dissertation.
David Melbie
Dec 05, 2010 David Melbie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like to laugh!
Recommended to David by: Picked myself
. . . I liked this one a lot. I'm a big fan of comic fantasy and these are some of the funniest stories I've read in awhile. --From A Reader's Journal, by d r melbie.
Terri
Nov 21, 2012 Terri rated it it was ok
There was some good stories in here and some note so good but not one of them made me chuckle which was a shame as I do enjoy a good comic fantasy story.
Ben White
Jun 10, 2012 Ben White rated it it was ok
More rubbish than quality here, unfortunately. Some decent stories but generally unremarkable.
Ed
Aug 16, 2012 Ed rated it liked it
Good, but not as good as the other one. Even Gaiman's contribution is weak.
Magdalena
Sep 21, 2013 Magdalena rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dobrze, że nie kupiłam od razu drugiej części...
Patty
Jan 04, 2013 Jenny Burridge rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mike-ashley
Excellent.
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Quinten
Quinten rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Christopher Dunn
Christopher Dunn marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Cheryl Strong
Cheryl Strong marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Ankur
Ankur marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Ruth Forrest
Ruth Forrest marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
  • Legends Volume 2
  • The Mammoth Book of SF Wars
  • Expecting Someone Taller
  • The Secret History of Fantasy
Michael Raymond Donald Ashley is the author and editor of over sixty books that in total have sold over a million copies worldwide. He lives in Chatham, Kent.
More about Mike Ashley...