Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy ” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy

The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  1,144 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A compendium of comic fantasy writing. Most of the stories are modern, with many especially written for this collection. The book also includes classic reprints and rare gems from comic fantasy's roots in past years.
Published 1998 by Robinson

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy

Wendy
Let me start by saying that this is a huge book. There are only 512 pages, but it seems to go on forever. I think that this book would be enjoyed most if it was placed on a coffee table in your living room and picked up every now and again when you are in the mood for a short read. But to sit down and read it straight through was quite a chore.

I originally picked this book up solely for the Terry Pratchett Discworld story 'Troll Bridge'. But there are quite a few great stories in here. My favor
Otis Campbell
• ix • Copyrights and Acknowledgements • essay by uncredited
• xiii • Introduction: Still Crazy After All These Years • essay by Mike Ashley
• 1 • Peregrine: Alflandia • [Peregrine] • (1973) • novelette by Avram Davidson
• 24 • Pizza to Go • shortfiction by Tom Holt
• 39 • A Malady of Magicks • (1978) • shortstory by Craig Shaw Gardner
• 56 • Golden Apples of the Sun • (1984) • novelette by Gardner Dozois and Jack Dann and Michael Swanwick
• 75 • Death Swatch • (1996) • novelette by Esther M. Friesner
Todd
Since this is a short story collection, I'm rating all of the stories with the Goodreads star value. I know, it's a crazy task, but I'm up to it.

Introduction - 2 stars
Peregrine: Alflandia - 1 star (confusing and not at all funny)
Pizza To Go - 2 stars (starts strong, ends weak)
A Malady Of Magicks - 3 stars
Golden Apples Of The Sun - 4 stars
Death Swatch - 5 stars
Press Ann - 5 stars (the unusual form adds to the story)
Troll Bridge - 4 stars (classic Discworld)
The Toll Bridge - 2 stars
Alaska - 3 star
Amelia
I actually bought this a couple of summers ago when my friends and I discovered a used book shop. But this book has every type of comic fantasy that you could want like how many years does it take monkeys to type Shakespeare to an evil overlord getting his castle redecorated for his upcoming wedding.
Stoneme Mayo
Get past the first story (I found the language hard going) by Avram Davidson to get into a good Tom Holt short. A demon of a third story with a charming ending by Craig Shaw Gardner then follows.
Next a dark humour-less story about the pitfalls of selling home computers to fairies by Gardner Dozois,Jack Dann and Michael Swanwick. At last a laugh-out-loud story of pre-nuptuals between "The Grim Lord" and "Princess Minuriel" - "Death Swatch" by Esther Friesner is a breath of "fresh" air.
Overall a g
Cornelia Corey
As with any anthology, some stories were more appealing than others. All in all, worth the read.
Tanya
Some stories were funny, others were unexpected, thirds were extraordinary. A good 4 points from me. I'm not giving 5 because some of the stories were too awkward to understand and I don't see them as "comic fantasy".
Timothy Tobolski
Been a long long time since I read this, and since I recently acquired two of the other five volumes (and just discovered I still need two more) I figured I'd start plowing through these again. I've gotten to the point of requiring all my fantasy reading to contain at least a modicum of humor; let's face it, Tom Holt and Terry Pratchett have spoiled me.

Besides which, I simply cannot recommend the Mammoth Book series enough.
Victoria
"Comic" fantasy is a misnomer for me. Quirky is probably a better adjective for my read. There were some stories that were enjoyable, some that were interesting, and some that were ponderous (mostly in the middle) to the point where I was skimming. I read the whole book a few pages at a time, and it did lend itself well to reading in that style.
Mike
This is a very funny collection of short stories. They are all over the map in style and setting. Not all are laugh-out-loud, but every story is worth reading. I read this book over a very long period of time, using it as a short "time-filler" since the individual stories take only a few minutes.
Tucker
Nov 09, 2014 Tucker added it
Shelves: finished, eunuch
There is a eunuch short story in here: Jane Yolen's "The Tale of the Seventeenth Eunuch." As described, with spoiler, on Disruptive Dissertation.
Nevyana
Много интересна колекция. Горе-долу половината разкази бяха, меко казано не по вкуса ми. Хумористичната страна се оказа трудна за откриване. Останалите, обаче, бяха изключително приятни.
David Melbie
Dec 05, 2010 David Melbie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like to laugh!
Recommended to David by: Picked myself
. . . I liked this one a lot. I'm a big fan of comic fantasy and these are some of the funniest stories I've read in awhile. --From A Reader's Journal, by d r melbie.
Terri
There was some good stories in here and some note so good but not one of them made me chuckle which was a shame as I do enjoy a good comic fantasy story.
Ben White
More rubbish than quality here, unfortunately. Some decent stories but generally unremarkable.
Ed
Good, but not as good as the other one. Even Gaiman's contribution is weak.
Magdalena
Dobrze, że nie kupiłam od razu drugiej części...
Patty
Thanks for this book Arveen! <3
Polly Eostre
Polly Eostre marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Sophie Narey
Sophie Narey marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Morighan
Morighan marked it as to-read
Ross Mackie
Ross Mackie marked it as to-read
Ravensscar
Ravensscar marked it as to-read
Lydia
Lydia marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Sarah Swernofsky
Sarah Swernofsky marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Richard Powell
Richard Powell marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
  • The Wizards of Odd
  • The Discworld Almanak: The Year of the Prawn
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • My Favorite Fantasy Story
  • Legends 3 (Legends 1, Volume 3of3)
  • The Mammoth Book of SF Wars
  • Only Human
Michael Raymond Donald Ashley is the author and editor of over sixty books that in total have sold over a million copies worldwide. He lives in Chatham, Kent.
More about Mike Ashley...
The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction The Mammoth Book of Apocalyptic SF A Brief History of British Kings and Queens: British Royal History from Alfred the Great to the Present