Start by marking “Bound by Honor (Men of Honor, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bound by Honor (Men of Honor, #1)

Bound by Honor (Men of Honor #1)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  2,919 Ratings  ·  307 Reviews
A promise forces two men to bare themselves completely.

Men of Honor, Book 1

One year ago on a mission gone wrong, Tanner James failed to save the life of Jesse, his Army Ranger teammate. Before dying in that South American jungle, Jesse extracted a promise that won t let Tanner rest until it s fulfilled no matter what it costs him.

Damon Price loved Jesse, but problems in th
Published March 1st 2011 by Samhain Publishing

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
This book started off VERY strong for me. It was all hot sex, dom-y doms, alpha males, and military men. I mean, what's not to love!? But then the book became all scattered and I began to get all "grumpy reader" on its ass. My final rating is 3 stars but I'm pretty conflicted about it.

My goodreads friends have ratings on this one that are all over the map. I have friends that favorited this book and ones that gave it one star. I was prepared to either love it or hate it. What I wasn't really pre
Written February 3, 2014.

3 1/2 Rough Stars - intense - strong emotions boils... the heat is reaching the roof

I read a few of S.E. Jakes books in her other series (Long Time Gone and three more, about Prophet and his hottie friends), and they where all amazing reading experiences - just magnificent! ~ I'd been told that this Men of Honor series was quite different but I'd high hopes for another awesome reading time with some muscular, masculine, macho, manly men.

...I got part of it. Bound of Hon
Jun 13, 2016 Gigi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this in the summer of 2011. Then I read it again in 2013. I read it again this week and really wish I hadn't.

Some books just need to stay 5 star books in your head, and this entire series is one of them. I was less than impressed by reading this again and have put it and the whole series on my re-reading no shelf.

I'm going to keep it at 5 stars because that was my initially thought.

For those who haven't read this and plan to, knowing who-is-who can get very confusing. Here is
Mirjana ***Let's Sound It Out - - - Mary-On-A***

***3.5 Great Start Stars***

"You like my weakness."

"That's not weakness, baby. That's surrender - and they're not the same thing at all."

This was a great start to the series. I loved both Damon and Tanner. Two strong, vulnerable and damaged men. The push and pull was the perfect amount of angst and the steam was STEAMY. It was a quick read, but thoroughly engaging and I was hooked. I'm definitely looking forward to continuing the series.

However, there were a few things that bugged me. There
I love S.E Jakes, I love her writing, but this book is was not one of my favorites. This story is a little confusing, and I didn't felt deeply connected with the MCs. They have hot and lots of sex, but romance was missing IMO. Too many breakups, coming and going... and well... I wanted them more stable...
BR with Nick, Cory and Mishyjo!

There may be spoilers below.

I wasn't really sure what to expect, because aside from S.E. Jakes' Hell or High Water series, her work has usually been a miss for me. But I actually quite liked 'Bound by Honor'.

Tanner James made a promise one year ago to Jesse, his dying teammate, that he would submit for Jesse's boyfriend for a BDSM scene at least once. Damon Price has been in mourning for a year, and he's not too happy when Tanner shows up at his club. The two get o
Jan 10, 2015 Cory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BR with Adam, Nick, and Mishyjo. I must admit that I was a poor buddy because I only made one update while I was reading, but that's because I didn't want to stop reading lol.

I love S.E. Jakes characters. You won't see them buying flowers for each other or taking long walks on the beach holding hands. You will see them having all sorts of hot sex. You will also see them showing each other that they do care, but they show them in their own unique way, sometimes without even having to say 'I love
Oct 11, 2013 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gina by: Tina
Shelves: m-m, bdsm
I have to say I really enjoyed this one, but the beginning was difficult for me. The first scene between Tanner and Damon....OMG! I so wanted to reach in grab Damon and hit him hard, and then hit him again!! While reading this scene I kept thinking “nope, it is not going to end badly, Damon will stop himself.” But OMG he didn’t!! And then poor Tanner has to pick himself up and get himself home.... Yes, i am ranting, I am getting mad all over again thinking about it.... I will move on...

Once i go
¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧ •°**★Camelot Dreamer❧ •°**★
Ooh Sweet Goodness! Damen...The perfect Dom...

4.25 Stars~

Damen and Tanner, both strong, adorable, delicious MCs, that were very enjoyable to read~ I am very glad there are more books to go, this is a pretty good start.

This book is so full of action
Love, leather and sweetness. That I can't help but look forward to more.
Jul 12, 2012 Tarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
1.5… barely...
Went something like: story. sex. story. sex. story? nope still sex. story but still centered on sex etc. etc. Could have still liked it even with the abundance of sex, which by the way at some point became just as entertaining as reading the dictionary (no offense to those of you who find immense enjoyment in that), but what really killed (murdered, dismembered, slaughtered, annihilated... *ahem* yeah, I think you get the picture...) it for me were the characters.

Not that I didn'
Cole Riann
This first book of the Men of Honor series by S.E. Jakes tells the story of Tanner and Damon. Tanner is an Army Ranger who has spend the last year mourning the loss of his best friend Jesse on the force and in their Special Ops team after his untimely death in battle. Left in a position where Jesse was slowly dying and all he could do for his friend was ease his pain, they have time to talk before Jesse passes and Tanner is rescued 10 hours later. He is left with a request from Jesse — to wait o ...more
I'd write a review, but I need to catch up with my buddies, Cory and Adam.
Serena Yates
Sep 05, 2016 Serena Yates rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
This book is about two men who have been wounded in their past, both too proud to admit it, and both looking for something they think they need - only to find out that is only part of the truth. While the book is labelled as a BDSM title, and it can be read it as such, I don't think that is actually true in the “literal” sense of the word. The characters play with domination and submission because they think they need it, but for me, that wasn't what the story was about.

Tanner is trying to deal
Dec 22, 2014 Beck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this (and the other books in the series) multiple times now and I still love it/them.

I loved the fact that the characters sort of 'battled' their way into love. It wasn't all gentle and lovey-dovey but raw and impassioned.

Others have criticised the appropriateness of the BDSM scene at the start of the book but because this wasn't actually a Dom/sub relationship I wasn't fazed by it. In the context of the story it made sense.

I read books like this for their escapist qualities. I don't

YUMMY!! What a pairing Tanner and Damon are!! 5 stars and a quick visit from those dancing girls

Not going into a lot of detail otherwise I will self-combust (again!!) Damon is the owner of a club called Crave, and his partner in the business is LC (Law), both ex military. The men's backgrounds are not pretty, but you'll have to read the book(s) in the series to discover more. Damon's old boyfriend Jesse, a Ranger, has been killed in South America and his best mate Tanner was with him at the tim
Sep 26, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, bdsm

Great start of the Men of Honor series with a great balance of steamy scenes and and strong emotions.

It's a gritty, tough love between Tanner and Damon. Their relationship isn't an easy ride. Both of the guys have baggage and not all of it gets resolved.

S.E. Jakes did an excellent job with the supporting characters. I am looking forward to Law's story.
MareTara SLiTsReaD Reviews
This review was posted:

Oct 27, 2013 Zainab rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
“Mine"... "Say it.”
“Yours, sweet boy…all goddamned yours.”

I honestly don't know where to start with this one!

First we have Damon , with his own shit. And then Tanner with a different kind of shit. For a while I thought it'd be impossible for them to work it out, but luckily for me, S.E. Jakes made them go through their shit-s and gave us another great book!
Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog

This isn't a full review simply because I'm anxious to get on with the series.

Since I discovered this series by reading an upcoming sequel
Catch a Ghost I already know there is a long way to go and good things to come. I didn't find the quality of the writing to be what I expected from the author, but I think it's going to improve as the series progresses. I liked the story and the characters, but didn't become emotionally involved. HOWEVER, the next book in this series has me intrigued. Some
I'm so happy a reading challenge pushed me into reading this book. There were a few little typos here and there but the story and suspense surpasses any issue that I might have found. I loved Tanner and confused ass. So happy Damon was there to straighten him out. I loved the secondary characters Paulo & LC, can't wait to read the next in the series. Hot soldiers fighting their way into love? Hot sex scenes with an even hotter back story? I thought it was pretty unique on how Tanner and Damo ...more
Feb 24, 2016 Trio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, dark
I really enjoyed this book. I can't believe I've missed this series and I am totally grateful to the Scavenger Hunt challenge for helping me to find it. The characters are amazing - so real, and beautifully developed throughout the story. I liked the author's writing style, it is written from multiple pov's but my only complaint was sometimes it was difficult to figure out which "he" they are talking about when multiple characters are in a scene. That's honestly the only reason I'm giving it fou ...more
Jan 15, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What took me so long to read this book? Lawd, it was some kind of smoking hot. Lots of sex, yep but there was a great story also. I always thought it was about men in the military doing military stuff but it so wasn't. It didn't take place in the jungle or anything like that. Tanner just happened to be in the military. So freaking yummy! On to the next one for sure.

Having already read the Hell or Highwater books and really liking them, I am backtracking and a bit late to this series.

I had a bit of trouble connecting with Damon and Tanner's relationship. I really didn't understand it. I was actually more intrigued by LC's story and I will definitely be moving on to his book.
Dec 03, 2014 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, yeah - one hot book! I started off rooting for Tanner - his experiences of loosing a team-mate, as he does with Jesse was really strongly written, I was there in the jungle with him when Jesse died. Small question mark about how long the bloke survived with that injury but that's a minor point. But Damon soon had me by the short and curlies, once he'd warmed to Tanner and cuffed him to the bed a few times....
I could have punched them both at times for behaving like blokes and running scared
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Jun 10, 2011 Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who love PWP (with slightly more plot than a usual PWP has)
Recommended to Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* by: Lexi Ander

This book is extremely hard for me to rate. On one hand, I love the premise, the BDSM (more like just bondage but whatevz), the military dilemma and the guilt both men have over Jesse dying. But on the other hand, it's just all sex.

I'm going to make it absolutely clear that Damon was a fucking bastard in the beginning. He treated Tanner like shit all because he was pissed at Jesse for making Tanner promise something before he died. Of course, Damon was already pissed at Jesse for dying
Patti TheLoveJunkee
I got 38% in before I decided not to continue. Tanner is an Army Ranger, who is going to see a Dom to honor the final request of a dying friend, Jesse. He feels guilty he couldn't save his Jesse's life, so he feels honor-bound to go. Damon Price was Jesse's boyfriend and still isn't over his death a year later. He's angry that Tanner has come and agrees to top him, and ends up humiliating him in front of the patrons of his BDSM club. He regrets his actions and goes to Tanner, asking for a second ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Damon is one messed up Dom. It's frustrating to see a Dom do the "wrong" things because he's in a snit. Worse, it's sad to see Damon know he's doing something wrong and yet he can't stop himself. Very frustrating! Tanner is too good for Damon at times. I wanted to cuddle the poor confused boy. I do wish we'd see more of Tanner's family to understand where he came from. We have the sketchiest details.

LC is one I liked and I'm intrigued about. I want to know more about him and Styx. It sounds like
Kade Boehme
Um.... 2 stars because I LOVED Tanner... in the beginning. In the end he seemed a bit selfish. As much as I REALLY didn't like Damon at all (PROTOCOL MY ASS, YOU RAT BASTARD!) it pissed me off that noone respected when he said he just wasn't cut out to be an "army wife". Some of us can love someone with all of our hearts, and would beg that you understood that since we're not selfishly asking you to give up a career you love but just ARE NOT cut out for months of separation and the constant fear ...more
Reread 3/29/16.

On the second time through this book, things jumped out that I didn't focus on originally, probably because the first time I was mostly like ohhh maaaa gawwww because of all of the hot sex and I was newer to the m/m genre and had not yet read some of the amazing books out there. But anyway, I did not love the "I'm turning into a chick" comments every time some emotion threatened to surface. I am also over the "little boy", "sweet boy" "baby boy" stuff. Tanner was supposed to be a
Jun 23, 2013 O'Flaherty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m

At first i only started reading this book because I wanted to read Bound by Law which had three gorgeous men on the cover, so I just went with it until I could get to the second book but DAMN! how much I loved this ride!

Damon and Tanner were perfect for each other and it was so so nice to see them grow along with their love.
LC got me hooked as well, and I NEED for him to find his happy ending as well because I just loved his character.
The sex was so hot but the plot was even better.
major kudos!
  • Room at the Top (Room at the Top, #1)
  • Deliver Us (Deliver Us, #1)
  • Safeword (Power Exchange, #2)
  • Out Of Focus
  • Angel and the Assassin (Angel and the Assassin, #1)
  • Pup (Guards of Folsom, #1)
  • By His Rules
  • A Thread of Deepest Black
  • Call Me Sir, Boy!
  • Fettered
  • Deliverance: Hooch and Matt's Story
  • Special Forces - Veterans (Special Forces, #3)
  • Discipline (Deviations, #3)
  • An Unlocked Heart (Collars and Cuffs, #1)
  • Beyond the Edge (The James Lucas Trilogy, #1)
  • Power Play: Awakening (Power Play, #2)
  • The Good Boy (Boy, #1)
  • Above the Dungeon (Dungeon #1)
SE Jakes writes m/m romance. She believes in happy endings and fighting for what you want.

You can contact her the following ways:

You can email her at

You can post to her Facebook page:

You can Twitter her:

You can post on her Goodreads Group: Ask SE Jakes

You can follow her on Tumblr:

You can ask her a ques
More about S.E. Jakes...

Men of Honor (6 books)
  • Bound by Law (Men of Honor, #2)
  • Ties that Bind (Men of Honor, #3)
  • Bound by Danger (Men of Honor, #4)
  • Bound for Keeps (Men of Honor, #5)
  • Bound to Break (Men of Honor, #6)

“That’s not weakness, baby. That’s surrender—and they’re not the same thing at all.” 1 likes
“It’s only too late when someone’s in the ground. And even then, you can always find redemption.” 1 likes