Start by marking “The Covenant Rising (Dreamtime, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Covenant Rising (Dreamtime, #1)

The Covenant Rising (Dreamtime #1)

3.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  337 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
In a land where magic defines the social order, the ruling tyrants alone control the most powerful sorcery ...

One of the last of a massacred race of warriors -- an unparalleled swordsman magically afflicted by spells of blind, uncontrollable rage -- Reeth Caldason wanders Bhealfa seeking vengeance ... and freedom from his strange malady. Now word has come from a sorcerer's
Published November 29th 2005 by Harper Voyager (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Covenant Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Covenant Rising

Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerTwilight by Stephenie MeyerMatched by Ally Condie
Most disappointing books!
53rd out of 105 books — 53 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerWicked by Gregory MaguireThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienNightfall by L.J. SmithWuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
Books That You Couldn't Finish
99th out of 281 books — 131 voters

More lists with this book...

Metaphorosis
Back in London in the early 80s, I frequented two great SFF bookstores: Forbidden Planet, and Dark They Were and Golden Eyed. In looking up the source of the latter's name (a Ray Bradbury story) the other day, I was surprised to learn that Stan Nicholls had worked at both. So that's a point in his favor right there.

Covenant Rising (or Quicksilver Rising) is the story of Reeth Caldason, a tormented warrior with a secret; Kutch, a novice magic user; and Serrah, another warrior, from another countr
Valsgalore
Jan 30, 2016 Valsgalore rated it it was amazing
I quite liked it! The premise did not seem interesting at first, but the storytelling dragged me in anyway. The concept of magic being a commodity for the rich was somehow wedged into every scene, which was interesting at first, but got to seem a little forced after a while. Still, I guess the fact that it was *magic* and made noises and did weird things made it somewhat more interesting than the alternative — which would be a constant discussion on the distribution of wealth. Given the number o ...more
Ann
Jul 21, 2012 Ann rated it liked it
This book has an interesting premise, loosely based on the archetype of the tormented and immortal Cain. However, its clumsy writing and too-frequent, long fight scenes detract from the book. Mr. Nicholls' time would have been better spent with fewer fight scenes and more character development. It's not a terribly memorable book. (I skipped most of the fight scenes. Some sword and sorcery fans may enjoy them, but I find them dull.)

In The Covenant Rising and the following book, The Righteous Blad
Ian (lonelyboy1977)
Sep 17, 2014 Ian (lonelyboy1977) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy
This review has also been posted on my blog Another World.

After reading a book as good as Quicksilver Rising, one cannot help but wonder why it has failed to garner much in terms of popularity and acclaim over the years. It could be argued that High Fantasy is such a saturated genre that it is difficult for any novel to stand out. A better explanation in this instance, is the fact that the plot of Quicksilver Rising cannot be sufficiently summed up by a brief tag-line or back cover blurb.

So what
Hack
Nov 04, 2008 Hack rated it did not like it
Melissa Brammer
Apr 18, 2014 Melissa Brammer rated it really liked it
Lots of fun and I'm eager to start the next book in the series. Political and magical intrigue. A immortal warrior subject to fits of uncontrolled rage is drawn into a brewing rebellion as he seeks to break his curse.
Annika
Oct 05, 2015 Annika marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Ich habe ein Buch bei BookCrossing.com registriert!
Batsap
Feb 20, 2014 Batsap rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I thought Stan Nicholls could have done more with the characters. The individuality was there, but they still had a tendency to blend into one. They could have been less cliche too. Some interesting ideas, though.
Karla Mata-soto
Sep 26, 2014 Karla Mata-soto rated it it was amazing
I can't say much about this book. I mean by this that it's so complex you really need to read it yourself to understand me.
Kat
Jul 27, 2014 Kat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
felt like the Riddick character from movies put into a fantasy setting... not a bad combination...
Mai
Apr 16, 2010 Mai rated it did not like it
The only reason I gave this book a star was because I can't give it no stars.

The characters were monochrome and the story just wasn't gripping. I got halfway through and I just gave up when the author threw away the one plot device he had going for him. He was telling multiple storylines and I expected him to carefully and subtly weave them together. Instead he grabbed all the subplots and ham-fistedly mashed them all together. What a let down!

I couldn't finish this book. It was incredibly dul
Sabrina
May 17, 2013 Sabrina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not perfect but nicely written. I don't know if this work well as a stand alone novel because it is just an introduction to a story. Yet this is not true epic fantasy. I think that the story was grey and the characters are weather beaten. The magic is strangely second mature to the residents but I found it to be a glamour.
If you're looking for a solid first book this may be a read worth investing in.
Jul 20, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was absolutely amazing!!! i wasn't too sure whether i would like it or not when i first started it, but after the first chapter or so i was hooked!! it does take a while for it to explain everything but i liked the way that you just had to hold for those explanations.
Eddie Johnston
This book ended so abruptly that I had to double check that my copy hadn't lost some pages.
Tim
Oct 13, 2008 Tim rated it liked it
it is a decent fantasy novel, but he does go a bit into the Robert Jordan mode and describes things or people that have absolutely nothing to do with the story line.
Bethwyn (Butterfly Elephant Books)
Just not my cup of tea, like many of the books on my abandoned list.
Rebecca Drury
Jul 27, 2013 Rebecca Drury rated it it was ok
Expected more. Didn't fully engage with the characters.
Amber
Nov 16, 2007 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is an interesting book that actully reminds me of many movies i have seen.
Billy Russell
Billy Russell marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Stephanie Duffrin
Stephanie Duffrin marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Telamon1984
Telamon1984 marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Paul Butler
Paul Butler rated it liked it
May 17, 2016
Andrew Boote
Andrew Boote rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
Dominuss
Dominuss marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Jens Walter
Jens Walter marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Claude
Claude added it
May 03, 2016
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Kal Jeffries
Kal Jeffries marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
  • The Masters of Darkness (Lone Wolf, #12)
  • Creature of Havoc (Fighting Fantasy, #24)
  • Die Rückkehr der Zauberer
  • Rebel Planet (Fighting Fantasy, #18)
  • Dragonmaster (DragonMaster, #1)
  • A Sorcerer's Treason (Isavalta, #1)
  • Lightwing
  • A Magic of Twilight (The Nessantico Cycle, #1)
  • The Kingless Land (Band of Four, #1)
  • Algorithms in C++, Parts 1-4: Fundamentals, Data Structure, Sorting, Searching
  • Dragondoom (Mithgar, #5)
Stan Nicholls (born 1949) is a British author and journalist, working full-time since 1981. He is the author of many novels and short stories but is best known for the internationally acclaimed Orcs: First Blood series.
More about Stan Nicholls...

Dreamtime (3 books)
  • The Righteous Blade (Dreamtime, #2)
  • The Diamond Isle (Dreamtime, #3)