Start by marking “Liar's Kiss” as Want to Read:
Liar's Kiss

Liar's Kiss

3.07 of 5 stars 3.07  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Nick Archer isn't much of a detective, but he's managed to get himself one pretty sweet surveillance gig: once a week he sends a jealous millionaire the photos that prove his wife is faithful, leaving Nick plenty of free nights to spend making a liar of both himself and the client's wife. But when the client turns up dead, his cheating wife is the prime suspect and it's up...more
Published May 10th 2011 by Top Shelf Productions

To ask other readers questions about Liar's Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liar's Kiss

Jessica-Robyn
From the moment I began I knew this wouldn't end well.

I instantly regretted not flipping through the book before I hit the check out desk. The cover is eye catching, so I was hoping for some eye catching art. Unfortunately, it suffers due to the style. The shading is the same black intensity as the line art and it's very high contrast against the white pages. This can work if there is a lot of white space to somewhat balance it out, however, in Liar's Kiss the panels are detailed and end up loo...more
Derek
There's nothing groundbreaking here, but this is a nicely done, tightly plotted noir graphic novel. As with any good noir, it has a "femme fatale," double-crosses, unforeseen problems messing up a plan, and, of course, murder. The dialogue is crisp, the art works nicely with the writing, and it all holds together as a cohesive package.

Well worth the time for those that enjoy this sort of thing.

pdbkwm
Originally posted at my blog

It starts off as a normal night for Nick Archer. He takes pictures of a millionaire's wife to show that she's faithful. Once that's done, he finally gets down to business by hooking up with his client's wife. It seems to be a win-win situation for Nick and his client's wife. He gets money for proving her innocent and she gets to have a little fun without her husband knowing.

After their midnight tryst is over, she goes home only to find her husband's cold dead body wai...more
Dani Peloquin
Liar’s Kiss is everything you could want from a graphic novel noir. It is classic, edgy, and is filled with intrigue. I took a chance on it because I love graphic novels and I figure that even if it is bad, at least I can be amused by the illustrations. I wasn’t let down AT ALL by this novel. From the first page, I was hooked.

The plot is like that of any film noir. A private investigator, Nick, is having an affair with his client’s wife Abbey. One night, Nick gets a call from Abbey saying that h...more
Andy Shuping
Nick Archer is a private detective. He isn't much of one, but he does have a pretty decent gig: to watch a rich client's wife and prove that she is (or isn't) faithful. And of course Nick has struck up a relationship with the wife and they share many interesting evenings together. But all of it comes crashing down when the client turns up dead, the wife is the prime suspect, and Nick has to clear her. But not everything is as it appears to be with Nick and he has his own agenda in this case.

The...more
James  W. Powell
This detective story starts off well enough, with good dose of mystery and interesting characters, but the ending feels like a bit of a cop out. The reveal is fine, but how it's revealed didn't work for me. Still, it's a solid first effort by writer Eric Skillman.
Andy
Trite noir tale with the usual private investigator resplendent in thick overcoat, porkpie hat and unshaved puss falling for the rich blonde widow. And of course it's all done in the Frank Miller Sin City style that's been done better (see A Dame To Kill For). The artwork is pretty bad, too: said femme fatale has a baby doll face in one frame, and then in the next has a long Herman Munster chin jutting out, like watching a transformation montage of Dr. Jekyll turning into Mr. Hyde. And there's a...more
Brendan
A twisty, turny little noir tale in the spirit of The Postman Always Rings Twice, with murder, sex, and betrayal all wrapped up together. The art is solid, with a variety of character types (belied by the Sin City female lead) and great chiaroscuro work. The tight narrative and close environment makes the noir tale feel more claustrophobic, and the smaller cast of characters makes this comic stand out above similar offerings.
Dru
This was pretty good. First of all the art is black and white and pretty great. Great line work and a good use of blacks. The art that's used for the title sequence is actually the best stuff in the book. It's sexy and gorgeous and perfect. The story's better than I had expected, giving me a genuine surprise near the end (which is harder and harder the more fiction you read.) Recommended.
Kate
This little noir comic moves along at a brisk pace, but doesn't break any new ground in the genre. If you like your tropes familiar, this one will work for you. But hey, just because the private dick is a well-worn character--a drinking, womanizing, wounded soul with an assistant with a snappy name (Trixie, in this case)--doesn't mean I'm not going to fully enjoy his story.
M
The noirish tale explores a down-on-his luck PI, forced to explore the murder of his latest's fling's husband. Set up like a typical dirty detective story, the only (somewhat) surprising twist is the final letter that puts together all the pieces neatly for the reader. This could have used better characterization, a lengthier exposition, and more originality.
Jason
Some of the illustrations are very, very nice. Though even those never read particularly well. And a bunch of them look like they were done in a real hurry, too.

Absolutely nothing of value to the story, not even in a genre-slumming way.

But I was sick in bed and it was there, (and some of the illustrations are very, very nice) so I read it.
Matthew
Nicely paced modern noir-style detective story. The characters you've all seen before: the down on his luck PI, the rich snob, the dirty cops. But it's delivered well enough that it didn't bother me. Good, quick and dirty fun with a twist ending that actually surprised me.
John
This starts off quite a bit like Double Indemnity and throws in a twist ending (which in retrospect was not much of a surprise). The art is very Sin City but also mixes in some watercolor panels - nice touch.
Trey Jackson
Good solid noir, I liked the resolution. Art was pretty good. Loses a star only because it is *so* noir, it doesn't do anything new, but it does everything well.
Kirsten
This is a pretty lackluster noir story with pretty awesome art. It starts out well, but sadly, the excellent art does not keep it from being cliched and shallow.
Eric Orchard
Fast moving and incredible noir crime tale that keeps you guessing right up to the end. Reminds me of those Hard Case Crime books, in a really good way.
Melissa
Twisty, fast-paced, schooled in noir conventions yet deliciously self-aware of them... also written by a great friend, so read up, world!
Steve
Really liked this. a tight little noir story. Very quick read and kind of an obvious conclusion, but it was still really good.
Pam
Noir graphic novel of lust and murder, with a twist near the end, so be sure to read the whole book!
Emily
Excellent noir mystery. Solid twists and nicely done moral ambiguity. And entertaining, too!
Jeremy Spaulding
This book would fit in well in the Vertigo Crime series.
amy boese
Pretty good noir. I like it.
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Joey Aulisio
Joey Aulisio marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Yannick
Yannick marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014