Cat To The Dogs (Joe Grey #5)

Cat To The Dogs (Joe Grey #5)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  423 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A recent earthquake was only the beginning of the big trouble that plagues Molena Point, California. Joe Grey may be merely a cat, but he's already solved more murders than your average human detective, and he knows the "accident" on Hellhag Hill was anything but. Unfortunately Joe's somewhat erratic, if lovable, owner Clyde thinks cats should keep their paws out of police...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published December 8th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Cat To The Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat To The Dogs

Sandra
This one introduces the Kit to the world and I wish I had read these in order...but there you go, I didn't think about the time frame around the books. The two great dane mix pups are also introduced and we will see much more of them in successive books. This was a nice read and one I enjoyed. Looking forward to even more from Joe Grey in the future!
Jen
This is the one that started it all for me, actually, in that this is the first Joe Grey book I picked up. Whoever said not to judge a book by its cover was a person who had never been in a used bookstore; this was absolutely an "oh, that's a fun title" find in a Half Price Books several years ago. I was intrigued by the blurb and only belatedly realized it was part of a series, so I have been tracking down the first parts of that series to get to this.
And, as with all of the Joe Grey mysteries,...more
Gaele
AudioBook Review:
Stars: Overall: 4 Narration 4 Story 4
I really do enjoy this mystery series where cats are the detectives and never miss a beat to display their very cat-like tendencies even as they perform tasks far better suited to humans. Joe Grey, a large tom is the ringleader who, with his compatriots manages to investigate and bring solutions to the murder mysteries that seem to plague the small coastal town of Molena Point.

Shirley Rousseau Murphy manages to create mysteries that are mo...more
Lynn Siler
First book I've read by this author but I'll be reading the rest of them. Not great literature but not intellectually insulting and I love the realistic perspective of the talking cats; not a bad mystery, either.
Melissa Dally
A long time ago, I read (and LOVED) Catswold Portal and so had been sorely disappointed that she didn't write any other cat-related fantasy. I knew she wrote mysteries with cats so I finally picked this one up randomly at the library to see and I did really like it. Joe Grey can talk to humans and has a penchant for solving human mysteries...and ordering food deliveries, LOL.

I have to say the cat parts were the best. I found myself wishing the parts with Lucinda would pass faster so we could ge...more
Leigh
This was a fun, quick read. I carried it with me on a short, impromptu vacation and it was just right for the mood. A light mystery, without too much gore. I've read the Rita Mae Brown books and The Cat Who series by Lilian Jackson Braun. This one ranks right up with them. The only thing that bothered me was when the cats actually made phone calls to the sheriff with clues. The cat on the wall viewpoint was a more plausible angle, just using the cats to view what the various suspects were doing....more
Betty
Mar 08, 2014 Betty rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cats, mystery & paranormal
Like all of the Joe Grey books this one another great read.
Joe witness a car crash on Hellhag Hill. He is looking at the crash when 2 wild pups arrive and he decides to take them home to Clyde. He calls Max that the crash was a MURDER against Clyde's wishes. Joe & Dulcie watch a strange cat ride thence of one of the pups. Kit, Lucinda & Pedric all enter the story. A story of a wandering family who work outside the law is also told with ancient stories of spacesifters & talking cats.
Eyehavenofilter
Yes I love it when animals talk, and there's a crime to be solved. I never deem to tire of it, especially when it is written so cleverly and the humans are so slow to catch up,These books are a happy yet slightly gruesome break from the ordinary animal book, that's why I gravitate to them so much, murder, mayhem, and meows! Wow!
Katherine
Joe Grey is the sole witness to a car crash and experiences severe frustration in trying to communicate his information to the police; after all, he is only a cat. Still, despite irritated owners and interfering puppies, Joe gets the job done. Tense, tighly written, and keeps the reader guessing along with the feline detective.
Barbara Dycus
Being a cat lover, I like that it was from their point of view. Oh how I wish I could talk to my cats.
Pat
I enjoyed this book a lot. I have read quite a few of these books, some that took place before this one and some that took place after this one. It was fun seeing the beginning of Lucinda and Pedric Greenlaw's involvement and also how Kit made her appearance in the stories.
Loraine
A delightful romp with two sentient cats who find themselves in the middle of a mysterious murder. If you like Lillian Jackson Braun's The Cat Who.. books with Qwilleran and his detecting cats you will enjoy Shirley Rousseau Murphy's cat mysteries as well.
Cathi95
(Mystery - Cat 2000) Joe Grey #5 After an earthquake, there seems to be an upsurge in unusual behaviors, both human and cat. There is ample murder, mystery, and cats, the usual and new, to make this a fun romp.
Gerry
This was just the light=read I needed!
I've broken my wrist and was having trouble reading anything = plus I can't really concentrate for long periods.
So, this series with the cats who help solve crimes was great.
Karen GoatKeeper
The first Joe Grey mystery I read I wasn't too sure what I thought. I liked it well enough to try another and another.
This is an earlier one I had somehow missed. It was a very enjoyable book.
Vicky
I loved this entire series… the cats who can talk and solve mysteries… what fun… definitely a cozy mystery, but then I love them… nothing I have to concentrate on...
Regan
Fun read. I really like the little kitten. Probably more so because I adopted a little feral earlier this summer.

Clyde if getting awfully touchy!
Talietha
Two overgrown undertrained puppies, a group of 'grieving' Irish, earthquakes - can Molena cope?
Erin
I love this one the best, I think, because Kit appears in this one and I really love her.
inkdaemon
The first book I read of the series, and one that left me keening to read the rest.
Trisha Williams
cute, a must read for those who love cats as much as they love to read.
Janet
neat book. liked the premise of the cats speaking human. very fresh.
Helen
action packed, makes you want to read the next one soon
Diane Dunham
Very enjoyable and witty.
Judie Dooley
Judie Dooley marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
  • Cat in a Topaz Tango (Midnight Louie, #21)
  • A Novel Way to Die (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • Copycat Killing (Magical Cats, #3)
  • Classified as Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #2)
  • The Cat, The Professor and the Poison (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #2)
  • Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy #2)
  • The Big Kitty (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #1)
Shirley Rousseau Murphy is the author of Cat in the Dark, Cat on the Edge, Cat Under Fire, and Cat Raise the Dead, and has received five Council of Authors and Journalists Awards for previous books. She graduated from San Francisco Art Institute, has worked as a commercial artist and has exhibited paintings and sculptures extensively on the West Coast. She and her husband live in Carmel, Californi...more
More about Shirley Rousseau Murphy...
Cat on the Edge (Joe Grey #1) The Catswold Portal Cat Under Fire (Joe Grey #2) Cat Raise the Dead (Joe Grey #3) Cat in the Dark (Joe Grey #4)