Start by marking “Castles Burning: A Child's Life in War” as Want to Read:
Castles Burning: A Child's Life in War

Castles Burning: A Child's Life in War

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  21 reviews
This steely account of a childhood on the run, first from the Nazis and then as a refugee in postwar Europe, serves as a fitting memorial to the author, who died in December 1996, shortly before the book was published. Magda Denes settled in America and became a psychoanalyst, which may explain her total lack of sentimentality about her youthful self. The fierce emotions o...more
Published 1997

To ask other readers questions about Castles Burning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Castles Burning

Kalliope

Dr. Magda Dénes, a Psychoanalyst and Psychotherapist practicing in NY, passed away suddenly at the end of 1996, aged 62. Her autobiographical Castles Burning was due to be published a couple of months later.

The book begins in 1939 in Budapest, as Magda’s father leaves for the US and abandons his family. They were a wealthy Jewish family of four. The narration advances fast onto March 1944 when the Nazis, who were already losing the war, occupied the city to prevent Hungary from changing sides. C...more
Nick
Magda Denes was a Jewish child in Hungary during World War II. These are reminiscences (as opposed to a diary) of hiding in abominable quarters, hunger, escape, the kindness and cruelty of strangers and acquaintances alike, and the loss of family members. When people encourage me to attend horror movies, I suggest they read this book instead: nothing I've ever seen in a film horrifies me as much as what these people and this child suffered.
Sharon Zink
This book leaped off the shelf at the library last Monday and yelled, "I'm next!" So happy for books to find me like that. This is the story of a Hungarian-Jewish girl who survives World War II, but not in a concentration camp. It is not a depressing story; it is funny in many places.
John
I found this book extremely moving and honest. The thing that really makes it stand out from other books set during the holocaust is that its such a vivid, at times even hilarious account of childhood. With the horrific and crazy events turning her family's life upside down we get a child's reaction to these events and her indignant, persistent desire to be treated like a human being and to evolve. One senses that the author avoids giving her account the tone of an adult recalling her childhood...more
Margrit Belfi
Van Bas gekregen voor mijn verjaardag
Leuk boek
Geestelijk vroeg rijp kind
Veronique
An amazingly readable book about a very dark time in Europe's history. Denes recounts her life as a Jewish child in Budapest in the 1940s, from the days leading up to the war to the darkest moments in hiding. She somehow manages to make the book lighthearted at points, showing that even in times of war there is still humanity and love. A truly inspirational book with lots of passages I highlighted and plan to re-read for inspiration.
Edwina Hall Callan
World War 2 as seen thru the eyes of a child.
Riveting and heartbreaking.
Kimberley
It didn't interest me like I thought it would have.
Leslie
I loved this book which I read to get some sense of Budapest as we were getting ready to travel there. It is a Holocaust Memorial but it is such a delightful and heartfelt perspective from a child grieving terrible losses that it made me wish the author would write a sequel.
Rex Cluff
Excellent book with a disappointing ending. Magda ends her story with her arrival in Cuba but that is far from the end of her troubles. Getting out of Cuba and into the U.S. would seem like a better ending but we don't know what happened after she arrived in Cuba.
Amy
A great literary adventure through the eyes of a precocious child, who likes to tell it like it is. I always have respect for any person who has that quality and Magda is no exception. A tale of heroism, survival, betrayal, and coping.
Geraldine
Wartime Hungary - an adult woman remembering her experiences as a child - and what a character she was as a girl - so clear eyed and sarcastic I had to smile even though her experiences were terrible.
Kerry Turner
The best, most descriptive and compelling book about a young child's life during Nazi occupation of Budapest, Hungary that I've ever read.
Allie vernasco
Feb 26, 2008 Allie vernasco rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Great memoir of a young Hungarian Jewish girl during WWII. She tells of her heartache from missing her family during various separations.
John
Interesting narrative but not super informative. Less on detail than on emotion.
Kim
Interesting and moving account of a jewish childs life in WWII.
Ann Costello
Really enjoyed this. Fascinating childhood told well.
hillary
hungarian girl's experiences during WWII
Nicole
insightful, sad, and revealing.
Catherine
This is my favourite book of all time.
Stacey Lucky
Stacey Lucky is currently reading it
Oct 23, 2014
Mary
Mary is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2014
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Luke A. Bunker
Luke A. Bunker marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Jeff
Jeff is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2014