Start by marking “A Shelter of Hope” as Want to Read:
A Shelter of Hope

A Shelter of Hope (Westward Chronicles #1)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  445 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
A repackaged version of a CBA bestseller's early favorites, this story follows a hopeful Harvey Girl who hides a disturbing secret. Westward Chronicles book 1.
Published August 1st 2005 by Bethany House Publishers (first published September 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Shelter of Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Shelter of Hope

Donna Porter
Jul 25, 2014 Donna Porter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Tracie Peterson’s A Shelter of Hope, Simone Dumas’s childhood has been fraught with terror, murder, and emotional and physical abuse. In an ultimate act of betrayal, her father sells her, along with his property, to another man. In order to avoid the physical abuse which the man surely intends for Simone, for he intends her to be his “wife,” she hits him over the head with a pitcher and flees.

Convinced she has murdered the man, she steals his horse and gun and flees, leaving the remote mounta
Mina Khan
Feb 10, 2014 Mina Khan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't generally read too many inspirational books, but I was intrigued by the historical setting.

Kudos to the author for making the situations and character plausible and real. Given Simone's situation, you can see why she'd be naive and you can also see why she has the courage and independence that she displays. And what I loved best -- when she finally meets the hero, she doesn't just to ass-over-teakettle and rides off into the sunset. No, she's wary and she's careful, she realizes she need
Kathryn
Leslie
Apr 18, 2014 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book. It showed a battered girl who thought no one loved her or cared for her, make a new life for herself. It showed that it is possible to put behind abused feelings and move on.
Brigitte
Mar 26, 2014 Brigitte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was slightly unsatisfying. I guess maybe the action was a bit too drawn out and the resolution was slightly disappointing. I still liked it, though.
Jenny
May 05, 2014 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book. very moving. I learnt a lot from it and would definitely recommend it to anyone.
Susan
This was a second time read, because after reading "When Molly was a Harvey Girl," I remembered really enjoying these books about Harvey Girls, and again found this author. I like this one much better than it's sequel Having the protagonist suffer at the hands of a VERY abusive father for 17 years and then having him track her down again was quite disturbing, but the character development was good. Of course without God, it would have been very unlikely to overcome something that prolonged as re ...more
Brenda Fronsee
Oct 26, 2014 Brenda Fronsee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
suspenseful and romantic
Tamara Tilley
Jan 27, 2016 Tamara Tilley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tracie-peterson, own
THE WESTWARD CHRONICLES is a delightful three-book series set around The Harvey House, an establishment offering fine dining along the stops of frontier rail travel. Each book highlights a Harvey Girl and the circumstances and situations that brought them to serve at the Harvey House. Originally published in 1999-2000, THE WESTWARD CHRONICLES were re-packaged in 2005. A sucker for the Old West, I enjoyed the simple charm of these books and the loveable characters created by Tracie Peterson.
Kara
Aug 22, 2012 Kara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I generally enjoy Peterson's writing, and A Shelter of Hope has surpassed them all! I read it in one sitting in about five hours. I simply could not put it down. The story kept me engaged with out going into unnecessary sub plots that can sometimes drag on. Simone's past and upbringing are unlike anything I have experienced (or would wish to) and yet I was able to feel connected to her and anxious to know what her outcome would be. Excellent characters and storyline.
Emily
Jul 05, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love historical romance and Tracie Peterson's books.
Shelves: favorites
I found myself feeling so sorry for Simone who is the main character of this gripping book by Tracie Peterson. A Shelter of Hope is the first book I've ever read from this author, and well, I am impressed by her ability to capture the small details. The book is every well written. There wasn't a dull moment with this book. I cried, smiled, laughed and ultimately enjoyed every page of this book!
Bunni
Jan 30, 2013 Bunni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A usual Ms. Peterson has captivated me by her wonderful characters. Simone is struggling with her overpowering father who treats her with less respect than his animals. She leaves to take a position as a Harvey Girl on the frontier rail line. She meets Jeffery O'Donnell and the rest is history.
I love all of these series...
Brigitte
I enjoyed this christian fictional book. suspensful and informative about the Harvey girls of the late 1800's.
Judy Knight
This is a good Christian fiction. I am very interested in the settings that were historically accurate. The railroad history is worthy of further research. I consider this a 'girly' Wild West novel.
Marla
Dec 29, 2013 Marla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Couldn't put it down!
Seneca Massie
Mar 16, 2011 Seneca Massie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this christian novel. It was an inspiring read for those who need encouraging. Also, as I love history, it opened up a new world to me!
Kimberly B
Sep 12, 2013 Kimberly B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW. This was intense, dramatic, and heart catching from the first page. So good!!!
Evelina
Aug 15, 2009 Evelina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i loved this book because it was so touching and exiting
Heather Willson
Left a lot of openings for scripture and testifying.
Kathy Best
Oct 23, 2013 Kathy Best rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read...really enjoyed it.
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Louise
Louise added it
Jul 22, 2016
Danelle Cale
Danelle Cale marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Tonya
Tonya is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2016
Jan Hall
Jan Hall marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Mary Even
Mary Even marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Cyndy
Cyndy rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
  • Separate Roads (Ribbons West, #2)
  • Ruth (Brides of the West #5)
  • The Oregon Trail Romance Collection: 9 Stories of Life on the Trail into the Western Frontier
  • A Hopeful Heart (Heart of the Prairie #5)
  • Prairie Storm (A Town Called Hope, #3)
  • Kiss of the Christmas Wind
  • Walks The Fire (Prairie Winds, #1)
  • Whispers in the Wind (The Orphan Trains Trilogy, #3)
  • Driven With the Wind  (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #8)
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison
More about Tracie Peterson...

Westward Chronicles (3 books)
  • Hidden in a Whisper (Westward Chronicles, #2)
  • A Veiled Reflection (Westward Chronicles, #3)