Start by marking “The Mourning Dove: A Story of Love” as Want to Read:
The Mourning Dove: A Story of Love

The Mourning Dove: A Story of Love

A tender story of growing up and discovering the boundaries and defining moments of love.
Published October 1st 1997 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Mourning Dove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mourning Dove

Kimberly
Jun 21, 2011 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Hannibal is a nine-year-old boy who lives with his grandpa, affectionately called "Pop," after both of his parents die. The book focuses on just the first year and a half when Hannibal starts living with Pop, but in those eighteen months he grows and learns some very important lessons that impact him.

This book may be short [only 84 pages], but it's precious and powerful. The bond and love between Pop and Hannibal is so sweet. You can't help feeling the same affection Hannibal feels for his grand
Jodi Escalante
Oct 07, 2016 Jodi Escalante rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book with my five-year-old son. It probably would've been a little bit better to wait until he was a little older -maybe 6 or 7. But it was a simple, discussion provoking read. I rated it a five because I would definitely recommend it for a parent to read with their child (age 6-12).
Allison Evans
Dec 08, 2012 Allison Evans added it
Shelves: 13-25
The Mourning Dove is about Hannibal. He is a young boy, and his parents have died in a tragic car crash. Now Hannibal has come to live with his grandfather. This novel is about Hannibal's experiences dealing with the loss of his parents, but more importantly it is about the lessons his grandfather teaches him about love. The novel jumps between different refining experiences Hannibal goes through, as well as stories his grandfather tells him, all influencing Hannibal as he grows and learns.

This
Ryan Rodriquez
Jan 04, 2016 Ryan Rodriquez rated it really liked it
There isn't a person on this planet that hasn't done something they've regretted. There are people however, who have never experienced forgiveness for those/that thing(s), even if it's forgiveness from themselves. Orphaned nine-year-old Hannibal Huish lives with his recently widowed grandfather, "Pop" who is a great provider of instructing Hannibal in making the "right" choices. Hannibal befriends a neighbor, who is in desperate need of a friend, and together get into mischief as young boys ...more
Stephanie
May 30, 2009 Stephanie rated it liked it
This book was a nice little story about a boy and his grandfather & their dealing with the boy's parent's death. I liked the relationships portrayed between the characters and the little experiences the boy had & learned from.
The author of this book is a very good writer and I enjoyed his style. But when it came to the end, I felt the story was wanting. It seemed to me that some of the things he wrote about were forgotten in the ending... they weren't tied back in or applied to the them
Debbie Williams
Apr 21, 2015 Debbie Williams rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
A short story about a boy who finds himself without a mom & dad. He is taken in by a loving grandpa, "Pop" who loves to put life lessons into stories. Hannibal doesn't even realize there are teaching moments in Pop's stories! He teaches the principles of love, charity, respect for living things, and dangers of lie telling. When God doesn't answer Hannibal's prayer, he threatens to never believe in him again. "So God exists only when things go your way?" Pop inquires. Without pain, life would ...more
Gabriel Hathaway
Hannibal and his Grandfather are united together through trial, after Hannibal's parents are killed. His grandfather teaches him, through many life changing experiences. Hannibal learns throughout the story about the importance of honesty, the sanctity of life, and how love endures forever.

I truly found this book life changing. It touched my heart. I absolutely loved the beauty of the story. Seeing Hannibal go through these experiences made me look at my own childhood, and I felt the story was
TaylorS
Jul 19, 2012 TaylorS rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was in my early teenage years and it really stood out to me. This story was absolutely one of my favorite books as a child. It shows unconditional love, patience, kindness, and hope. The relationship of a troubled grandson and his grandfather is heartwarming. I don't want to spoil the ending, but the last comments of the grandfather really helped tie the story together. I recommend this cute short book for anyone :)
Chuck
Aug 21, 2014 Chuck rated it liked it
A moralistic and somewhat religious story about values swept into a story about a young man being raised by an elder family relation. There is no issue about the values since kindness, love, patience, sympathy and other gentle values are universally accepted. Because of that it makes the book a little simplistic and preachy but told in a kind and gentle way by a nine year old who is learning about life from his wise old uncle. This book is more suitable for younger audiences.
Heather
Jul 29, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. The life lessons this boy learns are so sweet. The book is short and its a fun quick read. I think this would be a book I would like to read with my kids when they are a little bit older. It deals with growing up issues like what it feels like to lie, steal, standing up to friends who aren't doing what's right, listening to your parents, losing a loved one. Great book!
Melissa
May 25, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing
The Mourning Dove opens three days after the death of 9-year-old Hannibal’s parents from a car accident. Hannibal moves in with his grandfather, “Pop”, who has been a widower for three years. The story covers about a year worth of adventures where Pop ultimately teaches Hannibal over and over the importance of love, sacrifice, forgiveness, and the importance of remembering.
Alice
May 14, 2015 Alice rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was not what I expected at all. I had some other story in my head that I thought this book was about. I am sure that is why I postponed reading this for so long! It ends up this is a sweet, very short, childhood memoir about the very precious relationship between the orphaned author and his widowed grandfather.
Robert
Mar 25, 2008 Robert rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Morally uplifting without being overly sentimental. This humble story astonished me with its simple wisdom. I was engaged from the beginning, surprised at how quickly it was over, and amazed at how much it held. Well done.
Del
Oct 01, 2008 Del rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books on the Attonement and understanding one meaning to the parable the podigal son. This book is hard to find but if any of you want a copy to barrow, I am happy to share.
Danny
Jun 02, 2009 Danny rated it liked it
Larry Barkdull is a contributing writer for Meridian Magazine that I really enjoy, so when Michele received his first novel as a gift, I decided to pick it up. It is a fast read, only 84 pages, and is worth reading. It has a good message and a suprise ending.
Dee Toomey
Sep 26, 2009 Dee Toomey rated it it was amazing
A delightful story about a 9 year old boy who lives with his grandfather after loosing his mother and father in an accident, and how the grandfather lovingly teaches the boy the most important lessons of life. Highly recommend.
Christie
Jul 24, 2009 Christie rated it liked it
I wish I could do 1/2 stars:). I'd do 3 1/2 stars if I could. It was good, very short (84) and full of life's great lessons. I just like knowing more about characters, so a longer story to me would have been awesome! But inspiring none-the-less.
Jodi Robinson
Nov 03, 2009 Jodi Robinson rated it really liked it
One of those inspiration reads that surprises you. Simple story that catches you off guard. Teaches about forgiveness and redemption. Really enjoyed years ago and found it again this year. Glad I did.
Sarah Stevens
This is a quaint, short book about the lessons a boy learned from the grandfather that raised him. There are some touching moments and even a few harrowing ones. Overall a pleasant read, but nothing spectacular.
Feb 12, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
This is a great gift book.....A story everyone will love.
Tender and Teaching.....A sweet wake up to our spirit self..:)
Amy
Aug 01, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it
loved the ending of this book. a simple book that is actually more interesting once you're done reading the words and you step back and think about it.
Brooke
Sep 24, 2007 Brooke rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: must read
This is a great quick read. The message is very powerful, everyone needs a copy in their personal library!
Jim
Mar 01, 2008 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: novel-other
The book is as simple and easy to read as any. Yet, the more I ponder it, the deeper and more tender my thoughts. This is truly a treasure for virtually all ages.
Nicole
May 08, 2008 Nicole rated it it was amazing
This is the one and only book that really made me cry and rethink my life. Everyone should read this!
Whitney
Sep 23, 2012 Whitney rated it really liked it
Beautiful short story of a grandson learning lessons through his grandfather's stories. Teaching him love, forgiveness, and mercy. Quick but powerful read.
Cass
Mar 31, 2015 Cass rated it really liked it
A tender story of love between a young boy who lost both parents in a car accident and his widowed grandfather who takes him in to raise him.
Chelsea
Jul 17, 2013 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
Absolutely a brilliant read. I cried, but it made me think and continue thinking, even over a month later.
Janene
Aug 16, 2008 Janene rated it it was amazing
This is such a sweet little book. I love it. I made sure to buy extra copies to give one to each of my kids when they are older.
Christi
Jul 07, 2011 Christi rated it liked it
Shelves: own
a sweet little story. need to reread; about the story of two sons burning in the barn and a grandfather passing that message on to his son.
Jason Jacob
Jan 07, 2012 Jason Jacob rated it really liked it
Kudos to the life-changing lessons and the thought-provoking stories told in the story, point down to the storyline.
  • Keeping It Together in a Pull-Apart World
  • Hallelujah
  • Fine Old High Priests
  • Athena (The Newport Ladies Book Club)
  • A Raisin in the Sun: The Unfilmed Original Screenplay
  • God Wants A Powerful People
  • When Thou Art Converted: Continuing Our Search for Happiness
  • By Morning Light
  • The Mist of Quarry Harbor
  • The Destruction of the Books (The Rover #2)
  • Before My Heart Stops: A Memoir
  • We the People: A Concise Introduction to American Politics
  • Walking on Water and Other Classic Messages
I am a longtime publisher and writer of books, music, art and magazines. My most recent books are Priesthood Power–Blessing the Sick and the Afflicted and Rescuing Wayward Children. I have just completed a major 5-book doctrinal series called The Three Pillars of Zion, which was announced August 2009. I have created two Facebook groups called, “Rescuing Wayward Children” and “Three Pillars of ...more
More about Larry Barkdull...