Start by marking “Off the Chart: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Off the Chart: A Novel

Off the Chart: A Novel (Thorn Mystery #8)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  270 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Passion and intrigue heat up the Florida Keys as Thorn and Alexandra Rafferty--returning from Blackwater Sound---face down a brutal killer who has kidnapped the daughter of Thorn's best friend.

Before Alexandra came into Thorn's live, there had been Anne Joy, a beautiful woman who, after escaping the violence of her past, found something like happiness in the languid life o
Published August 26th 2004 by Minotaur Books (first published April 30th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Off the Chart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Off the Chart

Ed
#8 in the Thorn series.

Thorn's ex-lover Ann Bonney Joy goes off with her new boyfriend to be a pirate and hijack ships with a high tech computer system. Her brother Vic, a wealthy FL crime lord who covets Thorn's property, kidnaps Sugerman's daughter to force Thorn into line. Vic also plans to form a world-wide pirate consortium with the help of his sister's software knowledge.
Larry
Always a good, suspenseful read with Hall, who manages to keep you on the edge of your seat without a "cliffhanger" every 3 pages.
Jo Anne
good Read. actually held my breath for some of the scenes and couldn't get it read fast enough!
Jill Black
I like how he's bringing all of the characters from the different books together. And I Adore Alex' dad Lawton.
J. Ewbank
James W. Hall was unfamiliar to me when I read this book. It was an interesting read and a little unusual but it is certainly worth reading. The plot is enjoyable and you get caught up in the story and want it to end according to your plan.

Would be happy to read other books by this author because he knows how to write.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Doreene
Do you believe that there are modern day pirates? Well this book talks about pirates in the area of Flordia and what they might be up to. We slide into the world of priates when the author has one of the characters , who is the son of a mafia don, proclaim that he is a pirate. Interesting read. One of those kind of books you bring to the beach with you.
Jill Manske
This is my first James Hall book, and it will most likely be my last. I was really disappointed in the convoluted plot and the fractured storyline. I didn't much care for the characters, either; they were superficial and one-dimensional and their relationships with one another didn't make much sense. This is not a book I would recommend to anyone.
Susan
This is another fine entry in series featuring Thorn, that off-the-grid, fly-tier from Florida. A former flame is the reason he's dragged into a scheme of modern day pirates. This is pretty much like Hall's other Thorn books and it's nice to hook up with an old friend.
Robert
I could not finish this felt all characters unbelievable and could not care what happened very rare for me not to finish book especially as at least half way through
Julie
a little slow to start but still enjoyable. part of a series with the same character. not necessary to read in order, but would add depth to the storyline.
Rapidio
Not too bad of a book. At least I finished it, which is more than I can say for some more highly touted books I have picked up.
Ricardo
I really did not like this book. I barely managed to finish it and it is definitely the last one by this author that I read
pam
three and a half stars. pure fun.
Kay
Great story about modern piracy.
Edith
Edith marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Derek
Derek marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Jerry Kohler
Jerry Kohler marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
hunter Jack
hunter Jack marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Laura added it
Feb 18, 2015
  • A Deadly Silver Sea
  • Walking Dead
  • Key West Connection
  • Gumbo Limbo: An Alex Rutledge Mystery
  • 361 (Hard Case Crime #9)
  • Black Water
  • First Drop (Charlie Fox Thriller, #4)
  • Another Life (Burke, #18)
  • Solomon vs. Lord (Solomon vs. Lord, #1)
  • Dead Silence (Doc Ford, #16)
  • Voodoo, Ltd.
  • The Wrong Quarry (Quarry #11)
  • Risky Undertaking: A Buryin' Barry Mystery
  • The Cleanup
  • Paint It Black (Louis Kincaid, #3)
  • Grift Sense (Tony Valentine #1)
  • Scavenger Reef
  • Phantom Lady

James Wilson Hall is an Edgar and Shamus Award-winning author whose books have been translated into a dozen languages. He has written eighteen novels, four books of poetry, a collection of short stories, and a collection of He also won a John D. MacDonald Award for Excelle
More about James W. Hall...

Thorn Mystery (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Under Cover of Daylight (Thorn, #1)
  • Tropical Freeze (Thorn, #2)
  • Mean High Tide (Thorn, #3)
  • Gone Wild (Thorn, #4)
  • Buzz Cut (Thorn, #5)
  • Red Sky at Night (Thorn, #6)
  • Blackwater Sound (Thorn, #7)
  • Magic City (Thorn, #9)
  • Hell's Bay (Thorn, #10)
  • Silencer (Thorn, #11)
Under Cover of Daylight (Thorn, #1) Blackwater Sound (Thorn, #7) Mean High Tide (Thorn, #3) Buzz Cut (Thorn, #5) Tropical Freeze (Thorn, #2)