Start by marking “Unaccompanied Sonata” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Unaccompanied Sonata

Orson Scott Card

Unaccompanied Sonata

Pulphouse Press Short Story paperback #49.
44 pages
Published 1992 by Pulphouse Press (first published January 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Unaccompanied Sonata, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unaccompanied Sonata

Relyn
Aug 09, 2013 Relyn marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I love Orson Scott Card. I love the way he thinks and the way he approaches everything with an interesting mix of intellect and humor. I love his mind so much that I regularly read his reviews - just to get more of his thinking. Click here: http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/ev...
His column is called Uncle Orson Review Everything. And he does.

I discovered the title story from one of his reviews.
It may be that the best thing I ever wrote was a short story called "Unaccompanied Sonata."

Early in
Clarence
Nov 10, 2008 Clarence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Card's short stories get virtually no attention relative to his novels, but he totally shines here -- not without exception, but what's good here is damned good.

People might shrink from the moral ambiguity of the Shepherd in Kingsmeat, but totally embrace the character of Christian in Unaccompanied Sonata.

And when they come to The Porcelain Salamander, I can't imagine anyone not lamenting the fact that it is not as well known and shared with children as the "classics", and hope for a day when it
Christophe
Jun 02, 2013 Christophe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Vous voici promis à devenir un grand musicien, un créateur qui puisera son originalité dans son innocence même… jusqu’au jour où un admirateur pervers vous fera écouter une fugue de Bach… Enfants, vous pensiez jouer à la guerre, mais qui vous dit que vos sabres étaient en carton, vos cibles truquées, vos victimes imaginaires? L’utopie anarchiste devenue réalité: c’est ce que promet le «Ballon», cette planète composée, à la manière d’une grenade, d’une infinité de cellules où chacun peut trouver

Stephen Maloney
Jan 09, 2008 Stephen Maloney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that convinced me of O.S. Card's amazing abilities. Not only can he pen gripping and convincing stories of the depths of our nature (Ender's Game), but he also has an imagination to rival Asimov.
My favorite story in this short story collection is Unaccompanied Sonata, a story that reminds me a bit of "The Giver" in tone and power, although it's subject is disparate.
I stronly recommend this book for almost anyone; there are a few terrifying stories, a few lighthearted sci-fi ja
Heather
Feb 16, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
These stories were creepy, fascinating, hopeful, eerie, and touching; each one unique. This was a wonderful story collection. Some of the stories I've read before in other collections by Orson Scott Card.
Dixie A.
Oct 07, 2014 Dixie A. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Along with Hart's Hope and Songmaster, these three are an education in pain from Orson Scott Card.
Diana Cooper
Oct 27, 2013 Diana Cooper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unaccompanied Sonata was the first work by Orson Scott Card I ever read and I was weeping by the end of it. That short story haunted me for years, finally sending me to the library to see if I could find it again. I discovered the most amazing reference -the Short Story Index (this was before there was such a thing as the internet) which led me to this collection of short stories. I haven't read them since probably 1984, but I can still recall some of the imagery the stories inspired with perfec ...more
Althea Ann
Mar 03, 2013 Althea Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Card's first short story collection, this book features a retrospectively-hilarious and extremely patronizing introduction by Ben Bova giving this "bright new writer" fatherly advice. (I love reading 'historical documents' like that...
Also includes the original short story that 'Ender's Game,' was based on, several other quite excellent short stories, and an afterword where Card briefly discusses his inspiration for each piece.
Quite good, overall - not at all 'juvenilia.'
Michael
It's not often that I read an author who touches me on an emotional level . Everyone of Orson Scott Card's early stories have that effect on me , and this was the first collection , published by the scifi bookclub . I was fortunate enough to meet Mr. Card , and he signed the book and wrote some very nice words to me . Even though it is a bookclub edition and has no monetary value , it is my most prized possession .
Joshua Mitchell
Hit and miss collection of short stories. Hit was definitely Ender's Game (the original short story) which has evolved into a novella, then to a novel, then to a trilogy, and now a massive universe with about 20 separate works and a full feature film coming out in November. All of the short stories were at least interesting and original.
Jeffrey
Some of the stories were good, some were just entertaining, others were just okay. I mostly read it to experience Ender's Game as it was first published, as a short story. Having read it, I would recommend just reading the novel. If you read the novel, you'll experience everything the short story has to offer and much much more.
Archetype
May 06, 2010 Archetype rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For those who only know Card through Ender's Game, try his short stories - they're his strength, in this reader's opinion. This one story fills one with longing and synesthesia. Writers fear a broken reader far less in short stories - no need for happy endings or clear delineations between tragedy, comedy, thriller, or homespun...
Suzanne
Ummm....greusome. I kept thinking NIGHTMARE FODDER as I read, and so I wasn't surprised to read in the Afterword that 2 of the stories came from people's nightmares. Even so, I kept reading...so they must have been entertaining somehow. I think the title story was the best.
Reid
Jul 02, 2008 Reid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Early Orson Scott Card. If you can find it, it shows what promise Card had at the beginning of his career. Heart wrenching stories, others that fascinate...one of the best SS collections I've ever read, no weak stories
Jossalyn
Dec 14, 2012 Jossalyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved this book; stories that have stayed in my imagination for >30 years. Of course Ender's Game; but also Kingsmeat, and Unaccompanied Sonata.
my copy is signed by the author.
Eric McGreevy
Mar 30, 2010 Eric McGreevy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buy this book simply for the short story "Unaccompanied Sonata." It's well-written and concisely captures the human paradox of desire and destruction.
Mandie
Mar 27, 2008 Mandie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only read "Unaccompanies Sonata" and found it very interesting. It reminded me of "The Giver" and thought it was a great short story to discuss.
Kirby
Feb 02, 2009 Kirby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book Ender's Game came from the short story in this book. All the stories are trully outstanding.
ih
Jul 14, 2013 ih rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
One of my favorite short story collections. I kept wanting to read it aloud to someone.
Jared
Aug 12, 2009 Jared rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I remember reading this, but I don't remember much about it.
Ken
Dec 17, 2008 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a classic short story, can easily be expanded into a novel
David
David marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Camila
Camila added it
Sep 09, 2016
Jen Marin
Jen Marin marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Gene
Gene added it
Sep 03, 2016
Data
Data marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Mahabubur Rahman
Mahabubur Rahman marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
  • Antinomy
  • The Worlds of Theodore Sturgeon
  • The Best of Robert Silverberg
  • The Best of Jack Vance
  • The Best of John W. Campbell (US)
  • The Chains That You Refuse
  • The Best of C. M. Kornbluth
  • What Ho, Magic!
  • Three by Finney
  • The Best of Frederik Pohl
  • Destination: Universe!
  • The Last Mimzy
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.
Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series Th
More about Orson Scott Card...