Blank-133x176
Unaccompanied Sonata

Orson Scott Card

Unaccompanied Sonata

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Pulphouse Press Short Story paperback #49.
44 pages
Published 1992 by Pulphouse Press (first published January 1981)

Relyn
Aug 09, 2013 Relyn marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I love Orson Scott Card. I love the way he thinks and the way he approaches everything with an interesting mix of intellect and humor. I love his mind so much that I regularly read his reviews - just to get more of his thinking. Click here: http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/ev...
His column is called Uncle Orson Review Everything. And he does.

I discovered the title story from one of his reviews.
It may be that the best thing I ever wrote was a short story called "Unaccompanied Sonata."

Early in
Clarence
Card's short stories get virtually no attention relative to his novels, but he totally shines here -- not without exception, but what's good here is damned good.

People might shrink from the moral ambiguity of the Shepherd in Kingsmeat, but totally embrace the character of Christian in Unaccompanied Sonata.

And when they come to The Porcelain Salamander, I can't imagine anyone not lamenting the fact that it is not as well known and shared with children as the "classics", and hope for a day when it...more
Christophe

Vous voici promis à devenir un grand musicien, un créateur qui puisera son originalité dans son innocence même… jusqu’au jour où un admirateur pervers vous fera écouter une fugue de Bach… Enfants, vous pensiez jouer à la guerre, mais qui vous dit que vos sabres étaient en carton, vos cibles truquées, vos victimes imaginaires? L’utopie anarchiste devenue réalité: c’est ce que promet le «Ballon», cette planète composée, à la manière d’une grenade, d’une infinité de cellules où chacun peut trouver

Stephen Maloney
This is the book that convinced me of O.S. Card's amazing abilities. Not only can he pen gripping and convincing stories of the depths of our nature (Ender's Game), but he also has an imagination to rival Asimov.
My favorite story in this short story collection is Unaccompanied Sonata, a story that reminds me a bit of "The Giver" in tone and power, although it's subject is disparate.
I stronly recommend this book for almost anyone; there are a few terrifying stories, a few lighthearted sci-fi ja...more
Diana Cooper
Unaccompanied Sonata was the first work by Orson Scott Card I ever read and I was weeping by the end of it. That short story haunted me for years, finally sending me to the library to see if I could find it again. I discovered the most amazing reference -the Short Story Index (this was before there was such a thing as the internet) which led me to this collection of short stories. I haven't read them since probably 1984, but I can still recall some of the imagery the stories inspired with perfec...more
Althea Ann
Card's first short story collection, this book features a retrospectively-hilarious and extremely patronizing introduction by Ben Bova giving this "bright new writer" fatherly advice. (I love reading 'historical documents' like that...
Also includes the original short story that 'Ender's Game,' was based on, several other quite excellent short stories, and an afterword where Card briefly discusses his inspiration for each piece.
Quite good, overall - not at all 'juvenilia.'
Michael
It's not often that I read an author who touches me on an emotional level . Everyone of Orson Scott Card's early stories have that effect on me , and this was the first collection , published by the scifi bookclub . I was fortunate enough to meet Mr. Card , and he signed the book and wrote some very nice words to me . Even though it is a bookclub edition and has no monetary value , it is my most prized possession .
Joshua Mitchell
Hit and miss collection of short stories. Hit was definitely Ender's Game (the original short story) which has evolved into a novella, then to a novel, then to a trilogy, and now a massive universe with about 20 separate works and a full feature film coming out in November. All of the short stories were at least interesting and original.
Jeffrey
Some of the stories were good, some were just entertaining, others were just okay. I mostly read it to experience Ender's Game as it was first published, as a short story. Having read it, I would recommend just reading the novel. If you read the novel, you'll experience everything the short story has to offer and much much more.
Archetype
For those who only know Card through Ender's Game, try his short stories - they're his strength, in this reader's opinion. This one story fills one with longing and synesthesia. Writers fear a broken reader far less in short stories - no need for happy endings or clear delineations between tragedy, comedy, thriller, or homespun...
Suzanne
Ummm....greusome. I kept thinking NIGHTMARE FODDER as I read, and so I wasn't surprised to read in the Afterword that 2 of the stories came from people's nightmares. Even so, I kept reading...so they must have been entertaining somehow. I think the title story was the best.
Reid
Early Orson Scott Card. If you can find it, it shows what promise Card had at the beginning of his career. Heart wrenching stories, others that fascinate...one of the best SS collections I've ever read, no weak stories
Jossalyn
loved this book; stories that have stayed in my imagination for >30 years. Of course Ender's Game; but also Kingsmeat, and Unaccompanied Sonata.
my copy is signed by the author.
Eric McGreevy
Buy this book simply for the short story "Unaccompanied Sonata." It's well-written and concisely captures the human paradox of desire and destruction.
Mandie
I only read "Unaccompanies Sonata" and found it very interesting. It reminded me of "The Giver" and thought it was a great short story to discuss.
Kirby
The book Ender's Game came from the short story in this book. All the stories are trully outstanding.
Whatsits
One of my favorite short story collections. I kept wanting to read it aloud to someone.
Jared
I remember reading this, but I don't remember much about it.
Ken
a classic short story, can easily be expanded into a novel
Sharon Piper
Sharon Piper marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Thann Illum
Thann Illum marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Stormytiggs
Stormytiggs marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Joseph Szabo
Joseph Szabo marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Kendall
Kendall marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
  • Women of Wonder: Science-Fiction Stories by Women about Women
  • The Last Mimzy: Stories
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Sixteenth Annual Collection
  • The World Treasury of Science Fiction
  • Kirinyaga (A Fable of Utopia, #1)
  • Novelties and Souvenirs: Collected Short Fiction
  • Orsinian Tales
  • The Flight of the Horse
  • Infinite Dreams
  • Crystal Express
  • Otherness
  • What Ho, Magic!
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.
Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series Th...more
More about Orson Scott Card...
Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet, #1) Speaker for the Dead (The Ender Quintet, #2) Ender's Shadow (Ender's Shadow, #1) Xenocide (The Ender Quintet, #3) Children of the Mind (The Ender Quintet, #4)