Start by marking “Child X” as Want to Read:
Child X

Child X

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  235 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Juliet is passionate about acting and has been given the chance to star as the lead role in the play Northern Lights (based on Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass). But at home, her life is not so happy. Her family starts to disintegrate after her father suddenly and unexpectedly leaves home. What exactly is Juliet’s relationship to her flamboyant actor uncle? And what ter ...more
Published December 9th 2003 by Yearling (first published June 11th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Child X, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Child X

Beth
What if your whole identity changed in an instant? Aspiring actress and fantasy fan Jules cant understand why her loving father has suddenly packed up and moved out and wants nothing to do with her. Sure, he and her mom have their differences, but she never dreamed they'd actually separate. Cast as fierce tomboyish Lyra in a local performance of Northern Lights (the British title of The Golden Compass), Jules hides this secret she is so proud of as her family falls apart. When she learns that he ...more
Julia
Jules is a happy teen, despite the fact that her parents argue all the time. Then the worst happens, and her father - whom she adores - leaves. He won't even talk to Jules. But things keep getting worse. Suddenly Jules is caught up in a family drama that hits the newspapers & leaves her more hurt and confused than ever.

I like the way that Jules was imperfect but sympathetic. You could really feel her pain & anger & conflict. It wasn't over the top blowing up, but the strain of deali
george
I have mixed feelings about this one. On the one hand it's a good look at how kids experience divorce. On the other hand, I couldn't get over how the back of the book made it seem so much more interesting than what it actually was.
Brook May
Jules life is okay. Her parents are having issues and the dad leaves and doesn't make any contact with her. But Jules is happy when she is acting. She goes out for the lead role in the play Northern Lights(aka Golden Compass) and gets it. But suddenly photographers are all over the place taking her pictures of her and her mom. pretty cool idea right? except for the fact that it is just about her dad asking for all the money he put in Jules back(with interest) turns out that he wasn't really her ...more
Michelle Kelley
Jules is a British teenager who adores her dad and simply wishes he and her career-obsessed mom would stop arguing. Suddenly, events escalate, and her dad is simply...gone. Suddenly surrounded by secrets and mysteries that her mom refuses to discuss, Jules life is turned upside down.

I really liked Child X. The book blurbs are purposely without many specifics, and I hate to reveal too much, as this book is best read if you can let the events slowly unfold. There are plenty of hints along the way
Grace King
I read this when I was thirteen and it never failed to keep me gripped and bring me to tears every single time I read it. I thought it was a brilliant story and moving for that age
Segen W
Child X is an amazing book! I give this book a 5 star rating! I would definitely recommend this book to my friends and family! Child X's real name is Julia. She was just a normal girl who loved to act and had two loving parents that argue a lot. One day as her mom and her dad argue at night Julia couldn't stand it any longer but the next day the argument settled down and something felt wrong. When Julia went downstairs she found out that her dad moved out and wanted a divorce also he didn't want ...more
Rose Hawthorne
an excellent real-life based story, Child X shows how people can be cruel to others and affect more than who they intended.
Monique
I don't do fantasy. I don't care if its the genre or, in this case, part of a show that their doing.

Moving on.....Why do books like this have to have one nice guy then a jerk guy? In this one, the nondad was the nice one and the uncledad was the stuck up mean guy. For instance, The Romeoand Juliet code was like that but instead the mother and nondad were both meanies and the uncledad was the nice sensitive soul.

Didn't like it that much.... so now I'm gonna read a good book about the "Theatre"
Catherine Wrestler
This book was good, but the blurb on the back sort of spoiled it for me. Also, I kept waiting for the action and suspense to happen. The pace of this book wasn't as well written as it could have been. Child X was a little too childish to be written for middle schoolers.

Rosemary
This isn't what you might expect from the blurb - it's a straightforward story about a 13-year-old girl who becomes the centre of media attention because of the circumstances of her parents' divorce.

The men this book are so cruel to the girl - not physically but emotionally - I found it hard to believe she wasn't more damaged. There's also a suggestion of a 'happy' ending which made me feel a little sick. She's a brave girl, but comes across as rather younger than 13.
Amy Adams
This one was unexpectedly good! While I'm not sure today's tweens and teens would completely get references in the book like "Atari" or "having to go to the library to get information," overall, the story is still a relevant one. I like the way the story was told from the girl's point of view, as you were able to better understand her emotions. Although it was somewhat predictable, it was still a good story, and I felt sympathy for Jules and her unfortunate situation.
Amy
This British novel has an interesting storyline. Jules thinks everything is normal until her parents get in a big fight and her dad leaves and no one will tell her why. She struggles with getting along with her mom and hopes that being in the play Northern Lights will bring her dad back. The story gets a bit far fetched at times but people do do whacky things when the heart is involved. An okay read.
Suzanne
Well that was awful. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone over the age of 10. The main character is thirteen and incredibly annoying. cuddling mummy on the sofa.. at thirteen? sorry but i don't know any teenager that does that! lol.
Oh and if your intrigued by the title of 'child x' like i was, then don't be. I thought it might be something supernatural or at least interesting. It wasn't.
the_gunners_babe
Sometimes or maybe plenty of times marriages just don't work out well and are ended by getting a divorce. Children will suffer the most. You can see how a child is struggling to survive from her parents' divorce by reading this book.
Calista
I enjoyed reading this book because it was something I didn't expect to happen. I usually don't read these kind of books but this one seemed to really intrigue me. I love Lee Weatherly and hope to read more of her books.
Catherine
i felt that the blurb really spoilt this book for me. Overall the book was a good read but I was always waiting for the exciting adventure and mystery to begin. I was disappointed with the pace of this novel.
Violet
May 15, 2009 Violet marked it as to-read
OMG! I play based on the Golden Compass (AKA "Northen Lights" in the book)!!!! OMG, I love that book!!! I totally must read! (Gosh, I sound like a total teenager...)
Louise Hill
I did like this book, but it was just too young for me, but then again, I was expecting that.
It was a really good storyline though, and a nice, quick read.
Heidi
It was a quick read. It's weird cause all the words are British type things. I dunno. It was decent. I don't know if I would necessarly recommend it.
Rachel Brand
This book sounded so much more exciting on the backcover than it actually was. I suppose it didn't help that I found 'Northern Lights' disturbing.
Kit Kat
A nice book about a girl's family being divided because of a terrible thing her mom did in the past. Really touched my heart.
Tara Calaby
Apr 25, 2012 Tara Calaby added it
Shelves: ya-fiction
I was very impressed. It made me angry at the other characters - I like it when a book can mess with your emotions like that.
Nicola
4.5/5

Fantastic. Never cried so much before at a book where no-one died.

Review to follow
Stephanie A.
A decent thriller in a contemporary setting, especially once the reveal of the title gets underway.
Michelle
This book was a crazy concept that reminded me of the Truman Show.
Barbieb786
EXCELLENT BOOK. LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!1
Addie
Really awesome and kind of sad
The Ultimate Teen...: Child X - Lee Weatherly 2 5 Aug 19, 2014 11:16AM
  • Nobel Genes
  • Boy Kills Man
  • The Freak Observer
  • Three Black Swans
  • Silhouetted by the Blue
  • No Safe Place
  • Pull
  • 37 Things I Love (in No Particular Order)
  • Free as a Bird
  • Cures for Heartbreak
  • The White Horse Trick (New Policeman, #3)
  • Soccerland
  • Shadows Of Guilt (Urban Underground #2)
  • Sellout
  • Finding Daddy
  • First Shot
  • Chess Rumble
  • 12 Things to Do Before You Crash and Burn
Lee Weatherly was born in 1967 and grew up in Little Rock, Arkansas, USA. She lives with her husband in Hampshire, England, where she writes, goes on walks, collects frogs, and has a cat named Bernard.

Lee Weatherly also writes under the pseudonyms L.A. Weatherly, Kitty Wells, and Titania Woods.
More about Lee Weatherly...
Missing Abby Kat Got Your Tongue Breakfast at Sadie's The Scariest Monster in the World Teach Yourself How to Write a Blockbuster