Start by marking “The Right-Brain Business Plan: A Creative, Visual Map for Success” as Want to Read:
The Right-Brain Business Plan: A Creative, Visual Map for Success

The Right-Brain Business Plan: A Creative, Visual Map for Success

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Turn Passionate Ideas into Profitable Enterprises

Do you dream of making a living doing what you love but find the process of creating a viable business plan like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole? Jennifer Lee knows what it’s like to make the entrepreneurial leap — and how to do it successfully. The key is using, rather than stifling, imagination and intuition.
Published March 15th 2011 by New World Library (first published February 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Right-Brain Business Plan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Right-Brain Business Plan

Gabriela
The Right Brain Business Plan, is a different type of business book, at least in the way it is presented. In place of complex numbers and numerous words, the book uses a visual approach to demonstrate various business concepts. The book is full of sticky notes illustrations, colors, pictures and boxes that help the creative or visually oriented entrepreneur get started with their business plan.

The book offers insights into how to map out a financial plan without becoming intimidated by the numbe
Meryl
This book really worked for me. It wasn't fluffy, which I hate. The advice was solid and logical, and talked not just about developing a business, but how your ethics and values should work with and strengthen your plan. Good for right-brainers and those people straddling the divide. Highly recommended.
Miranda Hersey
If you have a creative business — or you’re thinking about starting one — this book and e-course will uncover new possibilities and inspiration that you never thought possible. An empowering must-read. (The e-course is fabulous too.)
Tami
It’s important to have a plan. You need to be very clear about your business: what you stand for, what you want to accomplish, and what you bring to the table. In this way, you can focus your energies wisely to help achieve your version of success.
Everyone who owns a business realize that they need to create a business plan. They understand the importance and agree that having a plan is probably a good thing. Doing so can be extremely intimidating.

The Right-Brain Business Plan is the business
Claire
If I enjoyed making collages, I probably would've gotten more out of this book. However, there is plenty of good business info presented in non-threatening, friendly language.

I kept thinking of Havi Brooks and her site, The Fluent Self, where she's been modelling this business approach for years.

If spreadsheets give you hives (I kind of dig creating a good spreadsheet) and you're building a business, I'd recommend this book.

If you're well aware that right and left brain behavior aren't so easily
Pam Torres
This really helped me get my business plan well on it's way. I know I will be referring to it throughout this next year often. Great ideas and inspiration! What does success as a writer look like to me. The most important planning I've done.
Evelyn
Rare book that helps out the people (like me) who have
trouble understanding all the mumbo jumbo of other
Business Plan books.

It translates the technical parts into fun, active
involvement in Business Plan development!
Jennyann
If your an Artist, Writer, Creative Right Brainer. This business plan resource is for you, it's amazing and fun, and you get to know your business 100%.
Quinn
Whether you own your business or are planning on building one, you'll need a map of where you are going. Traditional business plans are often dry and incomprehensible to creative entrepreneurs. But you do need a business plan, if for nothing more than to explain to others exactly what you do. You need it for yourself, too, to separate the urgent from the important, a task which can easily blur priorities.

In nine chapters, Jennifer Lee guides you to creating a business plan that you can understa
Annie Smidt
This book walks you through all the thinking behind a business plan but has you work through the issues and the planning by making collages, filling out whimsical "play sheets" (the opposite of "work sheets") and generally turning all the analytical stuff on it's head in favor of a more intuitive, exploratory approach. At the end, Jenn offers you some guidance in going from your artistic masterpiece to a written, standard business plan if you need to go that extra step —but that's not necessaril ...more
Eleanor
The scrapbooky, 1990's cottage furniture type design really turned me off from this book. Granted, I'm reading it from the perspective of a newly minted MPA student, so terms like "budget" and "money" and "goals" don't scare me. I can see how if you really are terrified of anything to do with business and somehow calling money "moola" makes it easier to deal with, then this book is for you. The author does give very good advice and presents concepts, like "S.M.A.R.T. goals" (for Specific, Measur ...more
Dina Begum
Buku yang benar-benar menarik. Pemaparan Jennifer mirip dengan yang kulakukan selama malang-melintang di dunia kewirausahaan. Yang belum kulakukan adalah membuat rencana bisnis. Kurasa suatu hari aku akan 'mencuri' bocoran-bocoran rahasia keberhasilan Jennifer ini. ;)

Yang paling berkesan:
Menjadi wirausaha kreatif itu membutuhkan nyali, perlu tulang punggung, jiwa dan raga. Anda terus-menerus bergerak, menghadapi tantangan, dan meraih peluang, jadi sangat penting meluangkan waktu untuk merayakan
Elaine
Loved this book! Why? I am not an artist - and I am creative and so are you. This taps into the right side of my brain that in the corporate world didn't get much attention.

No, I'm not afraid of numbers - having worked 10 years with engineers and another 10 years with accountants as a pension administrator - I know numbers.

I loved it because all the other business plan books I found bored me to death. Getting to the numbers for me was the easy part. Discovering what my passion was and what inspi
Josh
Pro: Free/loose ways of viewing parts of the standard business plan. Tactics.

Con: Just how.. hoped for inspiration in the first place. So, rated two stars for lack of 'visual map for success' -- just many arts and crafts ways to present a plan.
Justiss
This book is for creative individuals who need help in creating a plan for themselves as business owners or entrepreneurs. I thought it would have more images, I was thinking it was going to be a Sabrina Ward Harrison style book with a creative business plan style. But I actually feel that it is more left brained with a little bit of right brained pulled in for measure.

As far as it being a good business book, I think it is as good as any other business book out there. But it didn't blow my mind.
Teri Temme
Watched the CreativeLive workshop using this book and it was awesome. Requested it from the library and was eager to re-live the experience. It did not disappoint. Graphically stimulating text and the exercises are actually fun. But then, who doesn't like to collage? It's amazing what can come through. I took a magazine I don't normally read and came away with amazing insights. If you have never tried it I highly recommend it. If you are stuck it works! I will be buying this book to reference in ...more
Jane Elizabeth
While I suspect this book could be very useful for a lot of people, I just really couldn't get past the apparently foundational idea that because I am a visual, creative person, I would therefore be afraid of spreadsheets. And I don't want to express my business plan as a collage.

I picked this up because she's doing a free workshop on creativelive.com this January; if this sounds a nifty approach to you, it's probably worth watching.
Rebecca Waring-Crane
Better than half way through the book realized that even this Right-Brain approach to business isn't for me. I love the concept and Lee writes with passion, empathy and heaps of research. But I move in such a different style, one where I do not see an overarching purpose or focus for my work in the long run, but rather step into the light right in front of me and then wait. I may be back to this title later.
Sandra
For anyone starting, in the process of, or burnt out on writing business plans I highly recommend this book.

Although it is useless for writing an official business plan, it does provide tips, ideas for using your right-brain creativity and imagination to create a visual map for inspiration.

Filled with tables, photos, samples, checklists and exercises, this book will energize your work.
Nevada McPherson
A great book that made me see the possibilities of starting a creative business in a whole new (ie very REAL) way. Ms. Lee really understands how to inspire and encourage creative (right brain) people and to demystify business concepts that creative folks often have a tendency to resist. I highly recommend it!
Almie
This is a book that I will refer to often. Extremely helpful and and unique approach to preparing a business plan.
H. Gerald Grinter
This book rocks! Especially, for creatives who get lost in the process of trying to make their business work. The truth is, most of us who consider writing a business plan should read this book because is takes you off the traditional path of what you think a business plan should look like.
Pewterbreath
I think this book over-promises a little bit. While it brings in some business concepts in a way that is more approachable, I don't think following this book will get you to that business place. It's also based a lot on making dream collages and things like that, just not my bag.
Yulia
Honestly this book drove me crazy. I consider myself a creative person but I am not afraid of numbers and graphs, and the words like "money" and "plan" either. I think all those "scrapbooking" plans are a waste of time and energy but then again it is just me.
Amy Denim
The only book I found on creating a business plan for non-traditional business, like say, writing. Really useful to help come up with a legitimate business plan when you aren't looking for an SBA loan or opening up shop. Loved it.
Lauren
Lots of good information but slightly patronizing in tone. Some of the advice just sounds so silly and childish. If you're afraid of the words money and budget you probably shouldn't start a business.
Katie
Feb 21, 2013 Katie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Entrepreneurs, Businesses
Recommended to Katie by: CreativeLIVE
Great book! I really enjoyed making a business plan a truly creative process. It is great for business person with an artsy/crafty side and wants to bring that into the business! Definitely recommend!
Rachel
I need to come back to this one down the road. Good reference, and good food for thought as I move forward in my professional endeavors.
Michelle
Currently reading - although I left this out in the rain overnight, and am still drying it out slowly.
Tannara Young
Useful book if you are developing a business plan but would like to approach it in a creative, crafty way.
  • The Creative Entrepreneur: A DIY Visual Guidebook for Making Business Ideas Real
  • The Handmade Marketplace: How To Sell Your Crafts Locally, Globally, And Online
  • The Anti 9 to 5 Guide: Practical Career Advice for Women Who Think Outside the Cube
  • The Boss of You: Everything A Woman Needs to Know to Start, Run, and Maintain Her Own Business
  • Craft, Inc.: Turn Your Creative Hobby into a Business
  • Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists & Creatives of all Kinds
  • Creating a Life Worth Living
  • I'd Rather Be in the Studio!: The Artist's No-Excuse Guide to Self-Promotion
  • Blah Blah Blah: What To Do When Words Don't Work
  • Blog, Inc.: Blogging for Passion, Profit, and to Create Community
  • Creative Is a Verb: If You're Alive, You're Creative
  • The Introvert's Guide to Success in Business and Leadership
  • The Money Book for Freelancers, Part-Timers, and the Self-Employed: The only personal finance system for people with not-so-regular jobs
  • 60 Seconds and You're Hired!
  • Creative Block: Get Unstuck, Discover New Ideas. Advice & Projects from 50 Successful Artists
  • The Renaissance Soul: Life Design for People with Too Many Passions to Pick Just One
  • Making a Living Without a Job: Winning Ways for Creating Work That You Love
  • The Millionaire Messenger: Make a Difference and a Fortune Sharing Your Advice
The Art of Wreck-It Ralph Asian American Youth: Culture, Identity, and Ethnicity The Diversity Paradox: Immigration and the Color Line in Twenty-First Century America Building Your Business the Right-Brain Way: Sustainable Success for the Creative Entrepreneur 5-Minute Mug Cakes: Over 100 Yummy Cakes from Funfetti to Peanut Butter