Start by marking “The Right-Brain Business Plan: A Creative, Visual Map for Success” as Want to Read:
The Right-Brain Business Plan: A Creative, Visual Map for Success

The Right-Brain Business Plan: A Creative, Visual Map for Success

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  407 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Turn Passionate Ideas into Profitable Enterprises

Do you dream of making a living doing what you love but find the process of creating a viable business plan like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole? Jennifer Lee knows what it’s like to make the entrepreneurial leap — and how to do it successfully. The key is using, rather than stifling, imagination and intuition.
Published March 15th 2011 by New World Library (first published February 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Right-Brain Business Plan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Right-Brain Business Plan

Gabriela
Jul 19, 2012 Gabriela rated it it was amazing
The Right Brain Business Plan, is a different type of business book, at least in the way it is presented. In place of complex numbers and numerous words, the book uses a visual approach to demonstrate various business concepts. The book is full of sticky notes illustrations, colors, pictures and boxes that help the creative or visually oriented entrepreneur get started with their business plan.

The book offers insights into how to map out a financial plan without becoming intimidated by the numbe
Meryl
Sep 25, 2013 Meryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book really worked for me. It wasn't fluffy, which I hate. The advice was solid and logical, and talked not just about developing a business, but how your ethics and values should work with and strengthen your plan. Good for right-brainers and those people straddling the divide. Highly recommended.
Miranda
Jul 23, 2011 Miranda rated it it was amazing
If you have a creative business — or you’re thinking about starting one — this book and e-course will uncover new possibilities and inspiration that you never thought possible. An empowering must-read. (The e-course is fabulous too.)
Tami
Apr 15, 2012 Tami rated it really liked it
It’s important to have a plan. You need to be very clear about your business: what you stand for, what you want to accomplish, and what you bring to the table. In this way, you can focus your energies wisely to help achieve your version of success.
Everyone who owns a business realize that they need to create a business plan. They understand the importance and agree that having a plan is probably a good thing. Doing so can be extremely intimidating.

The Right-Brain Business Plan is the business
Pam Torres
Dec 29, 2011 Pam Torres rated it it was amazing
This really helped me get my business plan well on it's way. I know I will be referring to it throughout this next year often. Great ideas and inspiration! What does success as a writer look like to me. The most important planning I've done.
Evelyn
Dec 25, 2011 Evelyn rated it it was amazing
Rare book that helps out the people (like me) who have
trouble understanding all the mumbo jumbo of other
Business Plan books.

It translates the technical parts into fun, active
involvement in Business Plan development!
Tracy Bowens
Dec 30, 2014 Tracy Bowens rated it it was amazing
There was a time when Jennifer Lee thought that creativity and business mixed as well as oil and water. Then she succumbed to the entrepreneur bug. That’s when she realized that business and creativity do go hand in hand. In fact, they have to if one wants their idea to surpass hobby level. The Right-Brain Business Plan shares the process created during the journey that allowed Ms. Lee to reconcile the two entities.

“In this book, you get to make better business buddies with your artistic, vision
Dina Begum
Oct 19, 2011 Dina Begum rated it liked it
Buku yang benar-benar menarik. Pemaparan Jennifer mirip dengan yang kulakukan selama malang-melintang di dunia kewirausahaan. Yang belum kulakukan adalah membuat rencana bisnis. Kurasa suatu hari aku akan 'mencuri' bocoran-bocoran rahasia keberhasilan Jennifer ini. ;)

Yang paling berkesan:
Menjadi wirausaha kreatif itu membutuhkan nyali, perlu tulang punggung, jiwa dan raga. Anda terus-menerus bergerak, menghadapi tantangan, dan meraih peluang, jadi sangat penting meluangkan waktu untuk merayakan
Claire
Jan 11, 2013 Claire rated it liked it
If I enjoyed making collages, I probably would've gotten more out of this book. However, there is plenty of good business info presented in non-threatening, friendly language.

I kept thinking of Havi Brooks and her site, The Fluent Self, where she's been modelling this business approach for years.

If spreadsheets give you hives (I kind of dig creating a good spreadsheet) and you're building a business, I'd recommend this book.

If you're well aware that right and left brain behavior aren't so easily
Jennyann
Oct 22, 2011 Jennyann rated it it was amazing
If your an Artist, Writer, Creative Right Brainer. This business plan resource is for you, it's amazing and fun, and you get to know your business 100%.
Rosa Sophia
Feb 24, 2015 Rosa Sophia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
A wonderful book for people who want to engage their creative side and make business more fun. Highly recommended.
Quinn
Aug 03, 2014 Quinn rated it liked it
Whether you own your business or are planning on building one, you'll need a map of where you are going. Traditional business plans are often dry and incomprehensible to creative entrepreneurs. But you do need a business plan, if for nothing more than to explain to others exactly what you do. You need it for yourself, too, to separate the urgent from the important, a task which can easily blur priorities.

In nine chapters, Jennifer Lee guides you to creating a business plan that you can understa
Annie Smidt
Aug 06, 2011 Annie Smidt rated it really liked it
This book walks you through all the thinking behind a business plan but has you work through the issues and the planning by making collages, filling out whimsical "play sheets" (the opposite of "work sheets") and generally turning all the analytical stuff on it's head in favor of a more intuitive, exploratory approach. At the end, Jenn offers you some guidance in going from your artistic masterpiece to a written, standard business plan if you need to go that extra step —but that's not necessaril ...more
Eleanor
Feb 01, 2012 Eleanor rated it it was ok
Shelves: grow-diy
The scrapbooky, 1990's cottage furniture type design really turned me off from this book. Granted, I'm reading it from the perspective of a newly minted MPA student, so terms like "budget" and "money" and "goals" don't scare me. I can see how if you really are terrified of anything to do with business and somehow calling money "moola" makes it easier to deal with, then this book is for you. The author does give very good advice and presents concepts, like "S.M.A.R.T. goals" (for Specific, Measur ...more
Elaine
Apr 12, 2012 Elaine rated it really liked it
Loved this book! Why? I am not an artist - and I am creative and so are you. This taps into the right side of my brain that in the corporate world didn't get much attention.

No, I'm not afraid of numbers - having worked 10 years with engineers and another 10 years with accountants as a pension administrator - I know numbers.

I loved it because all the other business plan books I found bored me to death. Getting to the numbers for me was the easy part. Discovering what my passion was and what inspi
Josh
Jun 25, 2014 Josh rated it it was ok
Pro: Free/loose ways of viewing parts of the standard business plan. Tactics.

Con: Just how.. hoped for inspiration in the first place. So, rated two stars for lack of 'visual map for success' -- just many arts and crafts ways to present a plan.
Rebecca
Mar 14, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
A good jumping off point for those of us who freeze up when hearing words like; business plan, profits vs losses, marketing. Though I am not a big one for dream boards and the like I did find a good amount of usable information.
Michael Huang
Mar 13, 2016 Michael Huang rated it it was ok
Like many coach-written books, there are points of relevance and use, but the book is padded with gimmicks and fillers to extend to a book-length piece that is very inefficient for the reader.
Justiss
Oct 23, 2013 Justiss rated it really liked it
This book is for creative individuals who need help in creating a plan for themselves as business owners or entrepreneurs. I thought it would have more images, I was thinking it was going to be a Sabrina Ward Harrison style book with a creative business plan style. But I actually feel that it is more left brained with a little bit of right brained pulled in for measure.

As far as it being a good business book, I think it is as good as any other business book out there. But it didn't blow my mind.
Michael
Mar 13, 2015 Michael rated it liked it
I read this book so I could review it before recommending it to clients. I like the approach, even from a left brain dominant guy like me. I think it gives practical advice.
Sonya Coates
Jan 27, 2015 Sonya Coates rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource if you're getting started in any creative business. Highly recommended. Also, be sure to go to Jen's website for free PDFs!
Teri Temme
Jan 29, 2013 Teri Temme rated it it was amazing
Watched the CreativeLive workshop using this book and it was awesome. Requested it from the library and was eager to re-live the experience. It did not disappoint. Graphically stimulating text and the exercises are actually fun. But then, who doesn't like to collage? It's amazing what can come through. I took a magazine I don't normally read and came away with amazing insights. If you have never tried it I highly recommend it. If you are stuck it works! I will be buying this book to reference in ...more
Jane Elizabeth
Jan 10, 2013 Jane Elizabeth rated it it was ok
While I suspect this book could be very useful for a lot of people, I just really couldn't get past the apparently foundational idea that because I am a visual, creative person, I would therefore be afraid of spreadsheets. And I don't want to express my business plan as a collage.

I picked this up because she's doing a free workshop on creativelive.com this January; if this sounds a nifty approach to you, it's probably worth watching.
Rebecca Waring-Crane
Better than half way through the book realized that even this Right-Brain approach to business isn't for me. I love the concept and Lee writes with passion, empathy and heaps of research. But I move in such a different style, one where I do not see an overarching purpose or focus for my work in the long run, but rather step into the light right in front of me and then wait. I may be back to this title later.
Sandra
Aug 19, 2011 Sandra rated it liked it
For anyone starting, in the process of, or burnt out on writing business plans I highly recommend this book.

Although it is useless for writing an official business plan, it does provide tips, ideas for using your right-brain creativity and imagination to create a visual map for inspiration.

Filled with tables, photos, samples, checklists and exercises, this book will energize your work.
Nevada McPherson
Dec 06, 2013 Nevada McPherson rated it it was amazing
A great book that made me see the possibilities of starting a creative business in a whole new (ie very REAL) way. Ms. Lee really understands how to inspire and encourage creative (right brain) people and to demystify business concepts that creative folks often have a tendency to resist. I highly recommend it!
AlmieMeg
Jan 12, 2014 AlmieMeg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
This is a book that I will refer to often. Extremely helpful and and unique approach to preparing a business plan.
H. Gerald Grinter
Jan 30, 2013 H. Gerald Grinter rated it it was amazing
This book rocks! Especially, for creatives who get lost in the process of trying to make their business work. The truth is, most of us who consider writing a business plan should read this book because is takes you off the traditional path of what you think a business plan should look like.
Pewterbreath
Nov 10, 2013 Pewterbreath rated it liked it
I think this book over-promises a little bit. While it brings in some business concepts in a way that is more approachable, I don't think following this book will get you to that business place. It's also based a lot on making dream collages and things like that, just not my bag.
Yulia
Apr 02, 2012 Yulia rated it it was ok
Shelves: skills-crafts
Honestly this book drove me crazy. I consider myself a creative person but I am not afraid of numbers and graphs, and the words like "money" and "plan" either. I think all those "scrapbooking" plans are a waste of time and energy but then again it is just me.
  • The Creative Entrepreneur: A DIY Visual Guidebook for Making Business Ideas Real
  • The Handmade Marketplace: How To Sell Your Crafts Locally, Globally, And Online
  • The Anti 9 to 5 Guide: Practical Career Advice for Women Who Think Outside the Cube
  • The Boss of You: Everything A Woman Needs to Know to Start, Run, and Maintain Her Own Business
  • Craft, Inc.: Turn Your Creative Hobby into a Business
  • Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists & Creatives of all Kinds
  • Creating a Life Worth Living
  • Blah Blah Blah: What To Do When Words Don't Work
  • 60 Seconds and You're Hired!
  • The Introvert's Guide to Success in Business and Leadership
  • Blog, Inc.: Blogging for Passion, Profit, and to Create Community
  • The Money Book for Freelancers, Part-Timers, and the Self-Employed: The only personal finance system for people with not-so-regular jobs
  • Making a Living Without a Job: Winning Ways for Creating Work That You Love
  • The Artist's Rule: Nurturing Your Creative Soul with Monastic Wisdom
  • Getting Organized in the Google Era: How to Get Stuff out of Your Head, Find It When You Need It, and Get It Done Right
  • The Crafter's Devotional: 365 Days of Tips, Tricks, and Techniques for Unlocking Your Creative Spirit
  • The Exquisite Book: 100 Artists Play a Collaborative Game
  • Creative Block: Get Unstuck, Discover New Ideas. Advice & Projects from 50 Successful Artists