Start by marking “A Jury of Her Peers” as Want to Read:
A Jury of Her Peers

A Jury of Her Peers

In this electrifying legal thriller, public defender Sybylla Muldoon unwittingly encounters a massive and malignant conspiracy when her client, a homeless man, is accused of stabbing a child on a New York street. With its timely, terrifying premise and its strong, engaging female protagonist, this novel breaks breaks fresh ground in the area of fictional law.
Published June 1st 1997 by Onyx (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A Jury of Her Peers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Jury of Her Peers

Korey
Jun 11, 2012 Korey rated it it was ok
Started strong but irredeemably stupid once the big reveal of the sinister plot occurs.
Lisa Lilly
Sep 26, 2013 Lisa Lilly rated it liked it
If I weren't an attorney, I suspect I might have liked this book better. It was hard to get past both minor and major points that, at least in my experience, just didn't ring true or were inaccurate regarding the practice of law. For instance, main character Sybylla Muldoon is a Yale-educated lawyer who is supposed to be an excellent public defender. Yet, very early in the book, she takes what might be evidence in a case without creating any paper trail, wanders around with it, and hands it off ...more
L
Nov 09, 2014 L rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
The book begins with a supposedly very intelligent young woman, attorney, doing incredibly stupid things, things that keep getting worse as the tale proceeds. I'm not referring to the stupid things a lot of us very intelligent women sometimes do, but mind-boggling stupid, life threatening stupid. I kept reading, hoping there would be something worth my while. Eventually, the reader begins to catch glimpses of what is going on behind the scenes. The underlying premise is so wildly absurd that I w ...more
Anna Leslie
Aug 16, 2007 Anna Leslie rated it it was ok
Not nearly as good as The White Rose. Bit too far out / John Grisham-esque
Marne
Mar 29, 2010 Marne rated it it was ok
Her writing hugely improved since this debut novel. A somewhat fun read, but not as compelling as her recent works.
Debra Komar
Nov 18, 2014 Debra Komar rated it did not like it
I tried...oh, how I tried. I read about 3/4 of this book, which starts as a fairly straightforward (if uninspired) crime drama, but I gave up in disgust as the protagonist, a one-dimensional public defender, finds the secret elevator in the law consulting firm. It got pretty stupid after that.

I have tried two of Korelitz's books now and find the same problems in each. With all due respect, I cannot understand why she insists on writing thrillers (other than they sell) - she is kind of terrible a
pdxmaven
Aug 26, 2011 pdxmaven rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Sybylla Muldoon is a NY Legal Aid attorney. Her former client, Trent, attacks a little rich girl as she gets off the school bus. Sybylla doesn't think this sort of violence fits with the Trent she knows, so what's happened? Meanwhile, her father (an arch conservative) is nominated for the Supreme Court, his lifelong dream. Sybylla's defense of Trent collides with secrets in her father's past (big surprise).

I guess this is called a "legal thriller" -- interesting view inside the Public Defender'
False Millennium
This is one of her earlier works, and like most writers (you hope) they get better as they go along...not always, but often. I didn't enjoy this at all. I couldn't wait to be done reading it, and I probably shouldn't have bothered finishing since I have so much to read right now. Very often lawyers turned writers get really bogged down in the minute business of law. Very few writers can keep you enthralled with it: the late George V. Higgins comes to mind. Any lawyer who wants to write should re ...more
Emily Erdmann
May 09, 2015 Emily Erdmann rated it liked it
This review is about my thoughts and feelings toward the book. It will not summarize the book in any real way.

I thought A Jury of Her Peers by Jean Hanff Korelitz was an alright book. I usually don't read "law" books, but this one is also a mystery, so that is probably how I read through the whole thing instead of stopping after only a few chapters. To me, A Jury of Her Peers started out real enough, but I am not sure if what the book evolves into is plausible in real life outside of fiction; ma
Kyri Freeman
Jun 03, 2016 Kyri Freeman rated it really liked it
Occasionally I read a book that I really think ought to be a movie, and this is one of them. The conspiracy-theory plot, the timing, the twists, the sympathetic heroine, all would play well. The ultimate goal for the bad guys couldn't be so small as rigging juries -- I'm sure the brass ring would involve elections -- and there'd obviously be a couple of tweaks for the screen, but definitely, this would work as a film.

Beyond that, I enjoyed it.
Jessica
Jan 16, 2017 Jessica rated it liked it
The first third of this book is the strongest - the author has introduced us to an intriguing protagonist and set up a mysterious crime. However, from there we descend into a series of twists and discoveries that are simply not believeable. I struggled with surprise deaths, hidden lairs, and the heroine's ability to skate through unscathed. This could have been truly fascinating, as it is clear the author's grasp of the legal system is very strong! Skip this one.
Trudie Kiliru
Aug 24, 2014 Trudie Kiliru rated it really liked it
I loved the beginning but I was surprised when the plot became science fiction and although I love secret labs and underground plots, I wasn't entirely convinced that such complexity was really taking place. Ending was somewhat disappointing, too, though I enjoyed the rendering of the main character,Sybylla and the references to Greek mythology.
Robyn
Oct 15, 2010 Robyn rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book very much. It is especially satisfying when I luck into a book at the library used book sale for 50 cents by an author I do not know that has a good female protagonist and a plot that holds out all the way to the last of the book. Why courtroom drama is my drug of choice I don't know. But this one was different and worth the time.
Flo
Oct 21, 2015 Flo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guilty of Pure Pleasure

I enjoyed this thriller tremendously. The protagonist, a legal aid lawyer, is so smart, so deliciously funny as she falls in love, as she fights the bad guys, as she checks out mystery after mystery in the case of a homeless guy stabbing a little girl. Great fun.
Jana
Sep 18, 2009 Jana rated it it was ok
Decent writing, interesting and funny if stereotyped female lawyer character. But it was obvious 1/2 into the book exactly what was going to happen. So I skipped the middle of the book and read the last chapter and everything turned out exactly as I expected. I don't usually do that, but it was due back at the library and I had a bunch of better books to read.
Peggy Walker
Far fetched but interesting.

Homeless people are disappearing from the streets. What is happening to them and how they are being utilized for political gain is pretty far out there, but it is told in an interesting way.
Jean Kelly
Jan 21, 2016 Jean Kelly rated it liked it
While the ending of this story packed a punch I found that I had figured out a large number of the clues well before the main character - a Legal Aid Lawyer with a conservative father up for Supreme Court nomination. I liked her "You Should Have Known" much better.
Ruth
Jun 28, 2014 Ruth rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I've enjoyed everything I've read so far by Jean Hanff Korelitz. Like her writing style and her female characters in The White Rose and Admission. This is a different kind of legal mystery with an intriguing plot, a real page turner.
Jackie Simons
Read 1/02
Glenna
Apr 22, 2012 Glenna rated it liked it
I'd give this almost 4 stars but not quite. It was very well written and kept me turning those pages, but the central plot was just a little too farfetched.
Lori
Apr 24, 2011 Lori rated it liked it
well written
Jen
Jul 17, 2013 Jen rated it liked it
I liked it. I don't read many legal thrillers so it was a nice change.
Karen
Mar 26, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
Enjoyable. Ridiculous.
Holly
Jun 30, 2014 Holly rated it really liked it
Somewhat predictable, but an entertaining courtroom conspiracy story nonetheless.
Judith Federico
Jul 07, 2014 Judith Federico rated it liked it
I generally enjoyed it but I thought the premise was a little over the top. Maybe I just don't like conspiracy theories!
Debbie Stephenson
Good read, richly and creatively written. Little hard to follow towards ending.
Kim
Jul 04, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it
Great legal information.
Eric
Jul 23, 2016 Eric rated it liked it
Basically a Law and Order episode. A well scripted one but still...fluff.
Dara
May 02, 2011 Dara rated it it was ok
I thought the main character was pretty dumb - unable to connect things to figure out what was going on.
Gail
Dec 30, 2008 Gail rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
A so-so thriller.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Trial By Fire
  • Name Dropping
  • Doll's Eyes
  • Unlucky in Law (Nina Reilly #10)
  • The Gryphon King
  • Innocence Proves Nothing
  • Chain of Evidence (Inspector Challis, #4)
  • Flesh and Iron
  • The Labor Day Murder (Christine Bennett, #10)
  • Split Image
  • Bethlehem Road Murder (Michael Ohayon, #5)
  • Atlas Infernal
  • The Morning River
  • Bone Deep
  • The Half-Life: A Novel
  • The Flies of August
  • Desert Shadows (A Lena Jones Mystery #3)
  • Harlequin (Inquisition War Trilogy)

“before, mostly for commitment hearings held in a makeshift court” 0 likes