Start by marking “Threadbare” as Want to Read:
Threadbare

Threadbare

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  39 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
When Edward inherits the family textile mill from his deceased parents, he knows where his duty lies. As a young Victorian gentleman, he devotes himself to the family business and doing right by his customers and employees. What concern is it that he surrenders his own artistic ambitions and romantic passions?

But a hideous accident at the mill one day brings him into close
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Threadbare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Threadbare

Jason Bradley
this was a unique story, so beautiful and beautifully written.
Wren
Jan 25, 2011 Wren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From time to time Clare London writes a story that's outside the box, as they say. This is one of them. There's a paranormal element to it that keeps you wondering just what is going to happen, and leaves you wanting more.

The story is short (about 30 pages) so it's hard to say too much without giving things away. The official blurb is a good descriptor. Clare does get the feel of the era across, and a bit of the working conditions in the mills. Edward is defined clearly, and without beating over
Lena Grey
Oct 04, 2011 Lena Grey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you had a choice, would you rather have loved and lost or would you rather not have loved at all? When I think of Edward in 'Threadbare' by Clare London, I have to wonder how he would answer this question. Edward thought that beauty and passion was lost to him forever, having been replaced by duty and responsibility, that is, until he meets the elusive Mori. Edward comes to love Mori with all his heart, treasuring and nurturing him. Mori is his joy in life--Mori is his life. Alas, even though ...more
Erastes
Jun 20, 2012 Erastes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not much more than a short story but beautifully written with a lovely mysterious thread running through it (it's hard not to launch into fabulous imagery..) The prose is positively sumptuous without pushing over the line into purple and the mystery is well done.

The vital scene is amazing and this short could easily grace any mainstream horror anthology, in my opinion.

Not a HEA which some may think they should avoid, but I don't think you should because it's well worth a read, and under 2 it's
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
This is a beautiful, mysterious, haunting story. It's also very sad. The core of the story remains untouchable even after the end and if you're looking for closure, you'll probably get none. It's beautiful for its purity, for the precious moments of sharing and love. Warning: (view spoiler)
Enny
Feb 18, 2011 Enny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Threadbare took my breath away with its bittersweet beauty. One of the meanings of literature is “writing that is so beautiful that it’s a work of art” and I was thinking the whole time that this little book certainly qualifies.
Feliz
Feb 10, 2011 Feliz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, historical, jw
Edward, a Victorian textile mill owner, has some ideas his compatriots think rather quirky. For example, he doesn’t employ children, and he provides basic healthcare for his workers, an almost unheard-of generosity. Although he can’t become rich that way, the quality of his fabrics is beyond debate, and his workers like working for him. His mill even attracts a group of somewhat secretive, unusually skilled foreigners who keep themselves separate from the other workers, but create the most impec ...more
Lily
Beautifully written story and despite it's lack of a traditional HEA, or even HFN ending, it's definitely worth reading. My only real complaint is that it was too short. I would have loved a deeper look at these two compelling characters.
Dee Wy
I'd give this six stars if I could. Exceptional writing and a story that literally sucks you in. There is always a hint that this is a fantasy, but you don't know for sure until near the end. Loved it!
Karin Wollina
Jan 23, 2011 Karin Wollina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story ! It's rather short but perfect told. And the cover is great, too !
Suze
Sep 09, 2014 Suze rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite the little spine tingler! 3.5*
one to read on a dark winters night, rain lashing the windows!
Edward owns a fabric factory, where he meets one of his workers, Mori. There is always the 'otherworldly' feel to Mori and his band of friends, but what is it about him?
Short, but pacy story that delivers
Becky
Jul 06, 2011 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011, m-m
This was... weird. My second London title, and I haven't cared for either one. I think this author just isn't for me.
Eve
Eve rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2016
Julia
Julia rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2016
Jessa Ryan
Jessa Ryan marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Ebby
Ebby marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Ofelia Gränd
Ofelia Gränd rated it liked it
May 11, 2015
Suz
Suz marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2015
Derynmorin1970
Derynmorin1970 marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Miranda Mcintosh
Miranda Mcintosh marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Jerry
Jerry marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Noah
Noah marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
J.D. Walker
J.D. Walker rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2014
Bishonen
Bishonen rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2014
Nik
Nik added it
Sep 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Clare took the pen name London from the city where she lives, loves, and writes. A lone, brave female in a frenetic, testosterone-fuelled family home, she juggles her writing with her other day job as an accountant. She’s written in many genres and across many settings, with award-winning novels and short stories published both online and in print. She says she likes variety in her writing while f ...more
More about Clare London...