Threadbare

Threadbare

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  12 reviews
When Edward inherits the family textile mill from his deceased parents, he knows where his duty lies. As a young Victorian gentleman, he devotes himself to the family business and doing right by his customers and employees. What concern is it that he surrenders his own artistic ambitions and romantic passions?

But a hideous accident at the mill one day brings him into close...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Threadbare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Threadbare

Wren
From time to time Clare London writes a story that's outside the box, as they say. This is one of them. There's a paranormal element to it that keeps you wondering just what is going to happen, and leaves you wanting more.

The story is short (about 30 pages) so it's hard to say too much without giving things away. The official blurb is a good descriptor. Clare does get the feel of the era across, and a bit of the working conditions in the mills. Edward is defined clearly, and without beating over...more
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
This is a beautiful, mysterious, haunting story. It's also very sad. The core of the story remains untouchable even after the end and if you're looking for closure, you'll probably get none. It's beautiful for its purity, for the precious moments of sharing and love. Warning: (view spoiler)
Lena Grey
If you had a choice, would you rather have loved and lost or would you rather not have loved at all? When I think of Edward in 'Threadbare' by Clare London, I have to wonder how he would answer this question. Edward thought that beauty and passion was lost to him forever, having been replaced by duty and responsibility, that is, until he meets the elusive Mori. Edward comes to love Mori with all his heart, treasuring and nurturing him. Mori is his joy in life--Mori is his life. Alas, even though...more
Feliz
Edward, a Victorian textile mill owner, has some ideas his compatriots think rather quirky. For example, he doesn’t employ children, and he provides basic healthcare for his workers, an almost unheard-of generosity. Although he can’t become rich that way, the quality of his fabrics is beyond debate, and his workers like working for him. His mill even attracts a group of somewhat secretive, unusually skilled foreigners who keep themselves separate from the other workers, but create the most impec...more
Erastes
Not much more than a short story but beautifully written with a lovely mysterious thread running through it (it's hard not to launch into fabulous imagery..) The prose is positively sumptuous without pushing over the line into purple and the mystery is well done.

The vital scene is amazing and this short could easily grace any mainstream horror anthology, in my opinion.

Not a HEA which some may think they should avoid, but I don't think you should because it's well worth a read, and under £2 it's...more
Lily
Beautifully written story and despite it's lack of a traditional HEA, or even HFN ending, it's definitely worth reading. My only real complaint is that it was too short. I would have loved a deeper look at these two compelling characters.
Enny
Threadbare took my breath away with its bittersweet beauty. One of the meanings of literature is “writing that is so beautiful that it’s a work of art” and I was thinking the whole time that this little book certainly qualifies.
Dee Wy
I'd give this six stars if I could. Exceptional writing and a story that literally sucks you in. There is always a hint that this is a fantasy, but you don't know for sure until near the end. Loved it!
Karin Wollina
I loved this story ! It's rather short but perfect told. And the cover is great, too !
Gwen
This is a short story, and to me it actually suffers on account of its length, or lack thereof. It could have easily been longer and would have been just as enjoyable. The imagery is lovely, as is fitting for a work concerned with beauty and art, and on account of that and the way the story unfolds almost scene by scene, I think this would actually do quite well as a graphic novel.

The mystery is compelling, even if it is never resolved. I really would have liked to know more about Mori and his...more
Suze
Quite the little spine tingler! 3.5*
one to read on a dark winters night, rain lashing the windows!
Edward owns a fabric factory, where he meets one of his workers, Mori. There is always the 'otherworldly' feel to Mori and his band of friends, but what is it about him?
Short, but pacy story that delivers
Becky
This was... weird. My second London title, and I haven't cared for either one. I think this author just isn't for me.
Kelly Maybedog
Kelly Maybedog marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
BTina
BTina marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Good Reader
Good Reader marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Mangal
Mangal marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Victoria Zagar
Victoria Zagar marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Em
Em marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Ashlyn
Ashlyn marked it as to-read
Lillian Francis
Lillian Francis marked it as to-read
Tailtiu
Tailtiu marked it as to-read
Tj
Tj added it
Lena
Lena added it
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Scott  McQuiston
Scott McQuiston marked it as to-read
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Don't Read in the Closet: GayRomLit Retreat 2011 Special Edition True Colors (True Colors, #1) 72 Hours How the Other Half Lives Sparks Fly