Start by marking “The Sugar Mouse Cake” as Want to Read:
The Sugar Mouse Cake

The Sugar Mouse Cake

With the help of friendly white mouse, Tina, a cook's assistant, Tom, bakes a cake judged the best in the kingdom and thus becomes the King's Chief Pastry Cook.
48 pages
Published by Charles Scribner's Sons (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Sugar Mouse Cake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sugar Mouse Cake

Maggie
Feb 05, 2009 Maggie rated it it was amazing
I've decided to start marking books that were my favorites as a child so I don't forget to buy them for the children in my life.
===========

One of the saddest things that occurs regularly at our public libraries is the trashing a great old books to make room for new ones.

If you ask anyone in the Winona Kendall family what the favorite bedtime book was for all three of us (and my folks!), I think we would all say the Sugar Mouse Cake, hands down. I have a sneaking suspicion that the movie "Ratat
Sandra
Dec 17, 2013 Sandra added it
Shelves: young-children
This is a childhood favorite whose title and author I had forgotten. After about fifteen years of searching, I finally remembered enough to find it with a Google search. I was sad to discover it's out-of-print. Kudos to the U-M library for keeping it in their collection. Publishers: Please re-release this book!
Leanne Bean-Hartley
Jul 19, 2016 Leanne Bean-Hartley rated it it was amazing
My favorite childhood book. I wish they would reprint this book for other children to enjoy. So glad I got a copy from a library sale in the 80s. I will never sell!
Tphelps
This was a childhood favorite. I have tried for years to obtain a copy for myself. I have even tried to write to the publisher. I have been told that it will not be re-released. It is unfortunate. Gene Zion has also written Harry the Dirty Dog books and they are still out. If this is ever re-released, it is a must have!
Melissa Posten
Feb 29, 2012 Melissa Posten rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-books-read
I have no idea why this utterly charming book is OOP. It's from the team that brought us Harry the Dirty Dog! It's the story of a young pastry chef vying to be the Royal Pastry Chef with the help of his best friend, a mouse who lives in the flour pantry. This one's really hard to find (I lucked out at a library sale) but keep your eyes peeled.
Mary
Dec 26, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
This is one of my most favorite books from my childhood! I was an oilfield brat and moved around a lot. I'm sure my mother sold it in a garage sale. It will be pricey to replace....but I will do so for my grandchildren!
Firefly_1824
Aug 05, 2015 Firefly_1824 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I LOVED this when I was a kid. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it in years, and I only have a vague recollection of what the story was about. I would love to get my hands on it again.
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2013
Carol
Carol rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Julie Horder
Julie Horder rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2017
Sagan
Sagan rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2015
Seyma
Seyma rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2015
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2014
Jennifer Schehr
Jennifer Schehr rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2012
Miss Clark
Miss Clark rated it really liked it
May 26, 2010
Katya
Katya rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2014
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2012
Heather Craig
Jan 16, 2015 Heather Craig rated it it was amazing
my all time favourite book when I was a child - I count myself lucky that I have a copy
Sadako
Sadako rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2010
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2011
Sarah May
Sarah May rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2013
Francesca
Francesca rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2014
Janmae Guinocor
Janmae Guinocor rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2013
Trisha Kirkendoll
Trisha Kirkendoll rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2014
Carol Ryan
Carol Ryan rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2012
Andrea Neal
Andrea Neal rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2013
Brian
Brian rated it it was ok
Aug 21, 2014
Born on October 5, in 1913, Gene Zion attended the New School of Social Research and the Pratt Institute. In 1948, he married artist Margaret Bloy Graham, who then collaborated with him on all his picture books. When their marriage ended in 1968, Zion also ended his career as an author. Zion is best known for his creation of the rascally dog, Harry, who appears in such books as HARRY THE DIRTY DOG ...more
More about Gene Zion...