Start by marking “The Sugar Mouse Cake” as Want to Read:
The Sugar Mouse Cake

The Sugar Mouse Cake

4.67 of 5 stars 4.67  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  8 reviews
With the help of friendly white mouse, Tina, a cook's assistant, Tom, bakes a cake judged the best in the kingdom and thus becomes the King's Chief Pastry Cook.
48 pages
Published by Charles Scribner's Sons (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Sugar Mouse Cake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sugar Mouse Cake

Maggie
I've decided to start marking books that were my favorites as a child so I don't forget to buy them for the children in my life.
===========

One of the saddest things that occurs regularly at our public libraries is the trashing a great old books to make room for new ones.

If you ask anyone in the Winona Kendall family what the favorite bedtime book was for all three of us (and my folks!), I think we would all say the Sugar Mouse Cake, hands down. I have a sneaking suspicion that the movie "Ratat...more
Melissa Posten
I have no idea why this utterly charming book is OOP. It's from the team that brought us Harry the Dirty Dog! It's the story of a young pastry chef vying to be the Royal Pastry Chef with the help of his best friend, a mouse who lives in the flour pantry. This one's really hard to find (I lucked out at a library sale) but keep your eyes peeled.
Tphelps
This was a childhood favorite. I have tried for years to obtain a copy for myself. I have even tried to write to the publisher. I have been told that it will not be re-released. It is unfortunate. Gene Zion has also written Harry the Dirty Dog books and they are still out. If this is ever re-released, it is a must have!
Sandra
Dec 17, 2013 Sandra added it
Shelves: young-children
This is a childhood favorite whose title and author I had forgotten. After about fifteen years of searching, I finally remembered enough to find it with a Google search. I was sad to discover it's out-of-print. Kudos to the U-M library for keeping it in their collection. Publishers: Please re-release this book!
Mary
This is one of my most favorite books from my childhood! I was an oilfield brat and moved around a lot. I'm sure my mother sold it in a garage sale. It will be pricey to replace....but I will do so for my grandchildren!
Kara
Gorgeous illustrations by the amazing Gene Zion. Impossible to find, sadly.
Child960801
One of my favourite books from childhood. I love it.
Heather
one of my favorites as a child.
Sherry Slape
Sherry Slape marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Kaye Martin
Kaye Martin marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Robin
Robin added it
Aug 16, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Nocot
Nocot marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
Ginny Pines callahan
Ginny Pines callahan marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2013
Born on October 5, in 1913, Gene Zion attended the New School of Social Research and the Pratt Institute. In 1948, he married artist Margaret Bloy Graham, who then collaborated with him on all his picture books. When their marriage ended in 1968, Zion also ended his career as an author. Zion is best known for his creation of the rascally dog, Harry, who appears in such books as HARRY THE DIRTY DOG...more
More about Gene Zion...
Harry the Dirty Dog No Roses for Harry! Harry and the Lady Next Door  Harry by the Sea A Harry The Dirty Dog Treasury: Three Stories