Start by marking “Harry by the Sea” as Want to Read:
Harry by the Sea

Harry by the Sea (Harry the Dog)

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  1,299 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Harry, a friendly little dog on a visit to the seashore, is mistaken for a sea serpent when a big wave covers him with seaweed. ‘Very few children can resist [the stories about] Harry. The ridiculous but somehow plausible situations capture even the most reluctant reader.’ —SLJ. Chidlren's Books of 1965 (Library of Congress)
Published October 6th 1976 by HarperCollins (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Harry by the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harry by the Sea

Teresa
Feb 21, 2016 Teresa rated it really liked it
This is part of the Better World Books 2016 Reading Challenge. It fulfills the book published in the year I was born. It's a fun book that my children used to love reading. I still had it in my bookshelves from years ago.
A sweet dog goes with his family to the beach for a day and gets lost and covered in seaweed while hunting shade. The antics lead to being called "a bushy-backed sea slug", which I think is so funny.
It's a cute book for 1st and 2nd graders or younger.

*2016 BWB challenge- publ
Nancy Kotkin
Dec 10, 2016 Nancy Kotkin rated it really liked it
Harry, the white dog with black spots, is back in another picture book. As this title implies, Harry and his family take a trip to the seashore. Covered in seaweed, Harry is mistaken for a sea monster. A fun read but not quite the caliber of the other Harry books by this author/illustrator duo.
Benjamin Espen
Oct 19, 2016 Benjamin Espen rated it it was amazing
I love how delightfully un-PC old children's books are.
Erin
Harry went with his family to the beach. It was a very hot day.Everywhere Harry went to cool off, he was told to leave. Eventually he went swimming in the ocean. He got covered with seaweed. When he got out of the water, everyone thought he was a sea creature! Crowds of people were shouting and running. Harry was just trying to find his family. Harry thought he heard his name being called so he ran towards the sound. The hot dog man was saying, "Hurry!", but since his ears were full of water, ...more
Rosa Cline
Mar 31, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, summer
Harry the Dog books are lovable wonderful books that children would enjoy being read to or read themselves. The illustrations are basic pastel colors but draws you into them so even without able to read the words a child would LOVE sitting and looking at the pictures.

In this one the family go to the beach, Harry gets hot and can't find a place to cool down until the waves get on him and cover him in seaweed. Everyone thinks he's a sea creature. But in the end his family finds him once again. Sup
Jared White
Jan 06, 2016 Jared White rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I grew up with Harry the Dirty Dog but I don't think I was ever read this one, it was still a pleasure to come across as I was shelving books in the library. The pictures aren't spectacular but they're homey and Harry is as unintentionally mischievous as ever. Poor Harry loves everything about the beach but the hot sun and that's the one thing he can't seem to escape. He has a series of misadventures while be trying to beat the heat. This has quite a bit of text compared to a lot of modern ...more
Dolly
Oct 08, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Harry visits the seashore with his family and becomes a seaweed monster. This is a funny tale in the series of books about Harry by Gene Zion and Margaret Bloy Graham. The illustrations are humorous and the story is timeless (even the swimsuits are back in style!) We really enjoyed reading this story together. It's a nice tale for the end of summer.
Jody
Dec 10, 2015 Jody rated it liked it
The next installment (for us) of the adventures of Harry. I liked it, but I'm not particularly enthralled by him. There's something a little clunky about the writing in this one in particular - it doesn't flow as well as I found Harry the Dirty Dog did. My daughter on the other hand, is a huge fan, and loved it.
Mloy
Apr 12, 2013 Mloy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a super cute, simple story; perfect for a bedtime story to read together with a little one who is a novice reader (like my 6-year old nephew). Although an adorable tale, it does start off a little harsh in the beginning because all the people seemed to be unnecessarily hostile towards the little dog, but like most children's books, the offenders redeem themselves in the end and everyone lives happily ever after.
Emmanuel Trevino
Apr 15, 2013 Emmanuel Trevino rated it really liked it
This is a great story about a curious puppy who finds himself in different problematic events. This story is great for sequencing. I would not recommend these book for under second grade, unless the teacher is reading the story to the class and can stop and explain some of the inferences needed to comprehend the story. I would use this book in the classroom for inferencing, sequencing, and/or main idea.
Alison
This is my favorite book in the Harry the Dirty Dog series. Harry gets separated from his family at the beach and after being swept up in a wave comes out of the ocean covered in seaweed and looking like a sea monster, which leads to lots of confusion and panic on the beach.

The only problem with reading this to the class that came to the library to visit was most of the kids had read it already.
Vanessa Wilder
Sep 05, 2015 Vanessa Wilder rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
This story is amazing,tells the world to not disown others. There are people in the world, even family, that will turn their back on you and wont treat you equally. As litte Harry begins to bring on attention with his "accidental body garment", not only does his family treat him special, he receives his own umbrella from the rays of the sun.
Samma
Sep 07, 2013 Samma rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
In retrospect, I guess I DID know that there were other books to the Harry books after "...Dirty Dog". I remembered reading No Roses as soon as I opened it, but By the Sea was a whole new adventure. The illustrations are great even after nearly 55 years! WOW! Even though this series has been through many generations of readers, it is still a winner!
Lea Beall
Oct 05, 2015 Lea Beall rated it really liked it
Darling story, just what children love. Some suspense involved which is exciting and wonderful. Children are drawn into the story as they become concerned about Harry being too hot, being mistaken for someone he is not, and feeling a little lost. Good practice for developing compassion and understanding outcomes.
Lovely comic illustrations. Delightful.
Bryce
Jan 30, 2014 Bryce rated it it was ok
Maybe when 3-1/2 yo son is older we may have a better review of this book. I had to edit the fear laden "sea monster" pages with "strange creature" stories, as not to teach my little guy how to be afraid. No scare tactics are welcome in our home, so I don't allow it to be read aloud, even if it all ends well. We'll stick with Harry the Dirty Dog for now. No fear here.
Tracy
This is a sweet story about a family dog who's white with black spots. I read this one a while ago. The only thing I really remember about it is that when Harry goes to the beach with the family, he wanders away from the blanket. Then he can't find his family because it seems everyone on the beach has that yellow, white, and green stripped umbrella (the one on the cover).
Asho
What's not to like about Harry? This one isn't quite as charming as Harry the Dirty Dog, but it's still a fun companion book. Harry just looks so cute wrapped up in seaweed and running around the beach as a sea creature. It did sort of rub me the wrong way that a character is referred to as "a fat lady," but I'll give it a pass since it is of another era.
Libby
Nov 06, 2013 Libby rated it really liked it
We have read Harry the Dirty Dog so many times in the last 6 months, and it finally occurred to me to look for other Harry books at the library (having vaguely remembered reading more than one as a kid). We found this one and it was a hit. When I read it, the story came back to me, so I must have enjoyed this as a child, too. The pictures of Harry as a "sea monster" are really funny.
Jeff Bottrell
Apr 12, 2014 Jeff Bottrell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was a childhood favorite and one my father read quite often at bedtime. I remember always feeling enormously worried about Harry losing his family, even after having read the story a dozen times. A subconscious awareness of hot dog salesmen as villainous mockers explains my conversion to vegetarianism at the age of 15.
Kristine Hansen
Nov 08, 2014 Kristine Hansen rated it it was amazing
Poor Harry! He's just a hot dog at the beach who somehow manages to create complete and utter chaos wherever he goes. His attempts to cool off keep the whole family laughing and you really feel for him as he searches for his family. I would highly recommend any of the Harry books.
Susan Erhardt
Mar 19, 2008 Susan Erhardt rated it it was amazing
Harry goes to the sea, loses his family, and scares beachgoers when he gets covered with seaweed. I have always loved all of the "Harry" books, so I was thrilled that my 5-year-old is just as enchanted by them. She has asked for multiple readings of this story.
Jenn Swanson
Harry the dog is at the beach and it is hot. He tries to figure out how to cool himself down with funny outcomes. This book was just as good now as it was when I was little. My daughter enjoyed this book as well. Would recommend.
Pam
Jun 25, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it
Was inspired to take this out of the library after reading No Roses for Harry recently. Loved this one, too...my only complaint was it was a little longer and more wordy than necessary. I would recommend it, though. Also, L said she read it at school.
Caryn
Apr 23, 2008 Caryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books

My most favorite children's book ever, so far! This is a great story and keeps children hooked! I need to buy this one!
Amy
May 04, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Proving that some literature stands the test of time, Harry is adored by my kindergarteners. Joining the ranks of Scaredy Squirrel and Pete the Cat, Harry is another one of their precious friends.
Dylan & Devon Tandoc
Jun 06, 2016 Dylan & Devon Tandoc rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a classic Harry book where he is at the beach and as he tries to find his family, he gets into the sea and the seaweed makes him appear to be a monster. This book is just too cute!
Mary
Jul 16, 2009 Mary rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite children's books. I read it to 3 of my 4 kids and I believe they all enjoyed it.
Michelle
May 30, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Reading it to my daughter today was just as wonderful as it was when I read it as a young girl. Love Harry the Dog.
Bethann
Dec 05, 2011 Bethann rated it really liked it
This book can show how important a dog can be to a family. I enjoyed reading it, even though it was quite long.
Brandon
Jan 25, 2014 Brandon rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Brandon by: 4fd9fd8d@opayq.com
An absolute masterpiece. It's a morality tale about the dangers of accepting your friends too readily. It is only after you know that they aren't monsters can you truly love them.
  • Angus Lost
  • Grasshopper on the Road
  • The Fox Went Out on a Chilly Night
  • Mop Top
  • Are You A Horse?
  • The Seashore Book
  • Maisy Goes on Vacation: A Maisy First Experience Book
  • Have I Got a Book for You!
  • Always in Trouble
  • Secret Pizza Party
  • Friends
  • Ladybug Girl at the Beach
  • Maybe a Bear Ate It!
Born on October 5, in 1913, Gene Zion attended the New School of Social Research and the Pratt Institute. In 1948, he married artist Margaret Bloy Graham, who then collaborated with him on all his picture books. When their marriage ended in 1968, Zion also ended his career as an author. Zion is best known for his creation of the rascally dog, Harry, who appears in such books as HARRY THE DIRTY DOG ...more
More about Gene Zion...