Start by marking “It's All Relative: Two Families, Three Dogs, 34 Holidays, and 50 Boxes of Wine (A Memoir)” as Want to Read:

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  860 ratings  ·  112 reviews
How come the only thing my family tree ever grows is nuts?”

Wade Rouse attempts to answer that question in his blisteringly funny new memoir by looking at the yearly celebrations that unite us all and bring out the very best and worst in our nearest and dearest.
Family is truly the only gift that keeps on giving—namely, the gifts of dysfunction and eccentricity—
and Wade Rous
Published February 1st 2011 by Crown (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about It's All Relative, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's All Relative

Read It Forward
Wade Rouse is one of my favorite writers. I love recommending him to my friends who are fans of David Sedaris. This will surely be the book that makes him a household name. It's hilarious, poignant, and true. Makes me laugh and makes me appreciate the lovable quirks of my own family.
Corielle
"We're human. We all occasionally wet ourselves. No one is really better than anyone else. We're just all trying to make it through the year as best we can. We screw up sometimes. We succeed sometimes. We laugh. We cry. We go on."

I read a lot of memoirs, mostly because my standards for what I will read are very low. The author doesn't need to be famous. I don't need to know anything about them prior to reading. I do prefer them to be funny. I do demand that they be honest, and willing to poke fu
JSidelinger
I haven't read any of Wade Rouse's other memoirs, but "It's All Relative" showed up in my recommendations, so I thought I would investigate by going to the author page where I ended up amused by the promotion video. Wade Rouse's humor is wickedly funny even biting at times, but he is always completely honest about himself and his faults. A memoir can be a platform for self-aggrandizement, but for each spotlight cast on his family's eccentricities or partner Gary's idiosyncrasies there remains a ...more
Rose A.
If you love to laugh, you need to read “It’s All Relative Two Families, Three Dogs, 34 Holidays, and 50 Boxes of Wine (A Memoir)” by Wade Rouse. It was released on February 1st by Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House, Inc. It is a compilation of hilarious essays that will have you ROTFYAO.

In his fourth book, Wade tackles family life and holidays and brings out the best in his dysfunctional and eccentric relatives. We all have them, right? Wade says that “Family is the gift that kee
Charlotte

Wade Rouse is the cure. A writer from the SW Missouri area himself, he has got to be one of the funniest writers I have ever read. It's All Relative is a collection of stories about Wade's holiday experiences. His tales range from hunting (make that digging for) Easter eggs as a kid to his first Thanksgiving with the "In-Laws" but NOTHING is funnier than his tale of his first Valentine's Day with his partner, Gary. I swear to God I nearly wet myself.

I neve
Peggy
At first I wasn't sure what to make of this book. At the beginning the memoir book seemed a 'it's my parents fault in whatever wrong in my life' which is a complete turn off for me. But I continued to read because it started to become funny, in fact hilarious as he told of living with a dysfunctional family (and who doesn't have one of those) and tolerating the quirks of his partner's family writing about a memory of each and every holiday. I was able to relate with what he was going through dea ...more
Jan Kellis
Wade Rouse takes the reader on a year-long journey through holidays large and small, sharing his experiences in his signature self-deprecating way. The book progresses from New Year's Eve to Christmas, with stops along the way for important traditional holidays, as well as Chinese New Year, the Pez Collectors' National Convention, and Barbie's birthday.

Wade lets you in and gives you a glimpse of his life, his family, his foibles, his successes. His writing is deep and true, and you'll find your
Maggie Mosley
This book was full of the side of family that is more commonly experienced but not often discussed. It contains the emotional, funny and messy side. I look forward to reading more from this author and maybe attending a holiday party, since we are just north of you in GH.
John
This was my favorite of Wade Rouse's Memoirs, but mostly because I had read the other books. If you have at least read American Boy you will enjoy this one immensely. Wade uses the calendar months and holiday's to share stories throughout his life. Each chapter has a story. The stories do not go in chronological order, not even during the month sections sometimes, but that does not hurt change the quality of the book or writing. As I have said before I love Wade's writing. I laughed out loud and ...more
Nikki
Some people are comparing Wade Rouse to David Sedaris -- and I don't think that's really fair. Yes, they're both gay men who write funny memoirs, but they're very different. Both good. :)

Wade Rouse isn't LAUGH OUT LOUD funny, but there are definitely many moments in this book where I was chuckling. & I even got teary-eyed a couple times too.

Each story always seems to have a moral or a lesson to it, big or small, that he took away. I love how Wade talks about his partner, Gary, throughout the
John
Blisteringly funny? No ... not even close. More like "very humorous" at its peak moments, and "who the hell lives like that?" when he falls into stereotypical-gay-guy mode. What redeems the book from a two-star "meh!" read were the more serious memoir aspects, reminding me why I found his first book America's Boy: A Memoir such a success.

He's a talented essayist, with a great future, although he runs the risk of being pigeonholed as a "gay" writer if he doesn't make an effort to make it easier
Vy
I enjoyed reading this memoir. It's a collection of 34 little stories from various holidays, arranged as they would fall during a calendar year, January through December. Through these essays, you glimpse a little of the lives of the author, his partner, and their families. I enjoyed reading this book, to wit: I smiled and chuckled a lot, occasionally laughed out loud, and cried a couple of times.

The reviews here have the inevitable comparisons to Sedaris, and I'll add my own. This was not as fu
Neil Mudde
It must be my strange sense of humour, I found and I only read the first few chapters perused the others, and finished reading the story about his Mom's dying the latter was very moving all the other chapters were somewhat tedious, the woman wanting his gator beads? games on the 4th of july Father Rouse will always be the winner, and you Gary will always be the loser, etc. etc.
When looking at the book, I thought this has possibilities, however unfortunately I failed to find much of this funny, c
Jliongrrrl
A Jen Lancaster rec, it has to be good... and it was wonderful! A perfect combination of snarkasm and heartwarming family goodness. If you're a fan of Sedaris or Jen Lancaster you will enjoy this book. If your family has strange traditions and you don't really know why, you will enjoy this book.
I loved that it was broken up into months of the year rather than separated by time. The mix of child and adult stories made it much more enjoyable.
I look forward to picking up Wade Rouse's earlier works
Lunds&byerly
Maybe all the public shaming on french tennis player, Marion Bartoli for how she looks is skewing my objectivity and this review. Although Rouse is a funny, quirky writer with a knack for adding sentimental filters to events, I am stripping away 1 star for his fat jokes. And another 1/2 star for the "and I've seen his eggroll" schtick, which he mistakenly thinks is funny. It's your memoir, do what you want. It's just that there are probably other books worth reading before this one.
Peebee
I love Wade Rouse...maybe because I grew up in rural Missouri too, or maybe because he's just freakin' funny! It's great to see him so settled and happy with Gary...you can really see the difference in his life when comparing this to his earlier work, especially America's Boy: A Memoir. And we've all had holidays like the ones described in this book, just not articulated as well....
Daniel
This is a very funny, poignant, and REAL memoir from Wade Rouse, who grew up gay in the Ozarks. It's all about the various holidays as celebrated by his eccentric extended family. Wade and his partner, Gary Evans, now live in Saugatuck, Michigan. I attended a reading he had at Herrick District Library in Holland, Michigan recently. The audience was laughing out loud as Wade read excerpts from all five of his books. I highly recommend this one, or any of his other books!
Nette
The stories are quite funny, but too many of them end with Icky Heartwarming Morals. A lot of the reviews here compare him to Sedaris, but Sedaris would never end his essays with, "In the end, even after she shamed me in front of the whole third-grade, I realized that my mom really loved me," or "And even though I completely screwed up the anniversary party, my boyfriend ate those rancid meatballs and gave me a big kiss." Easy on the life lessons, is all I'm saying.
Mary-Frances
I was a bit distressed to find this in the "humor" section, because while I laughed hysterically at a lot of the parts of the book, there were some tear-jerker moments as well.

Wade's family bears NO resemblance to mine and yet, I could relate to his and his partner's families page after page of this book. Dis-function and horrid holidays lead to wonderful heartfelt life lessons and a sweet tribute to the good, bad and the ugly of families and family holidays.
Melissa
Wade Rouse's latest book had me laughing out loud. This was a refreshing read after some of my latest book club books. The craziness and antics that Wade and his partner Gary go through at various holiday and special events brought tears to my eyes. I enjoyed this entire book but I think it was the chapter "Spring Break" that sealed the deal for me, especially since I have family and have traveled to Sarasota Florida a lot in my life. A GREAT READ!!
Melody
I enjoyed these essays very much. Some more than others, of course. Several of them made me cry, a few of them made me roll my eyes. I like Rouse's writing a lot, and I'm happy to see that there are still a few of his books yet to read.

His tone is just right, I think- he's not exactly arch and not exactly sentimental but somehow touches both of these extremes and is blessedly, hilariously human. Recommended.
Gregg
I thought this was a pretty funny book. Structured around the various holidays throughout the year, the author recounts stories of his family celebrations from the past growing up in the Ozarks, as well as stories from the present with his partner Gary and their families and friends. It was one of those books that could make me laugh out loud one page and fight back tears the next.
Wende Green Frost
There are so many "my family is nuts" memoirs on the humor shelves and when this book was recommended to me I feared this would be just another author trying to "out-zany" the works that had come before. But this collection has humor, biting wit and heart throughout. I enjoyed walking through the year with Wade & Gary and look forward to reading earlier selections by this author.
Angelic
I'm already a Wade Rouse fan, but each book makes me love Wade (nd Gary)even more. I don't recommend reading this book in public - people will think you are bi-polar - the authorities may get called. Wade has you laughing out loud one minute and crying the next. Literally. I'm not kidding. But, much like life, I wouldn't change a thing, and I would read it again - it's that good.
Julia
This book was wonderful on so many levels. I laughed out loud and I wept. This is my second Rouse and I enjoyed it both the pacing and the voice of the stories. This is a fun read, but not necessarily light. The list of people I would like to read this book is too long, but I'm definitely recommending this now to people I know will appreciate it.
Ashley
Jun 19, 2011 Ashley rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ashley by: Jen Lancaster
A funny read that was a bit heavy on the sap at times. It also creeped me out how much this book reminded me of David Sedaris' writing. I could practically hear his voice telling Rouse's stories. So that was a little weird.

There were a couple hilarious stories (the one at the Chinese buffet was a fave), but overall it was only ok.
Brian
This book was very sweet and sad and fun at the same time. The memoir centers around holidays in the narrators life. These include some major ones and some not so major. The book is divided into months and has a few
Short stories in each. The writing reminded me of Laurie Notaro and David Sedaris. I'd read another one of his books.
Marnie
This was an enjoyable fast read. There were some really hilarious stories from holidays over the years. Wade Rouse tells a good tale on life- growing up as a closeted gay boy in the Midwest and as a grown up out of the closet man in a solid relationship along with the complexities and humorous twists of both.
Lesa Parnham
Wade Rouse is an under appreciated humorist. If you love David Sedaris you will love Wade Rouse. After I read this book I went on a search to find more of his work. Also read "At Least in the City Someone Would Hear me Scream." If homosexual references make you uncomfortable this is not the book for you.
Noelle
I love Wade Rouse's humor & I love the way he tells his stories with ingenious wit and candor. Also being from the Midwest, I felt that helped me identify with him in many parts of the book. The use of various celebratory events to write a memoir appealed to me & did not disappoint.
  • It's Not Me, It's You: Subjective Recollections from a Terminally Optimistic, Chronically Sarcastic and Occasionally Inebriated Woman
  • Where's My Wand?: One Boy's Magical Triumph over Alienation and Shag Carpeting
  • The Day I Wore My Panties Inside Out
  • Notes from the Underwire: Adventures from My Awkward and Lovely Life
  • It Looked Different on the Model: Epic Tales of Impending Shame and Infamy
  • Not Tonight, Honey: Wait 'Til I'm A Size 6
  • You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl: Observations on Life from the Shallow End of the Pool
  • It's Hard Not to Hate You: A Memoir
  • Queen of the Oddballs: And Other True Stories from a Life Unaccording to Plan
  • The World According to Mimi Smartypants
  • Why I'm Like This: True Stories
  • Confessions of a Carb Queen: A Memoir
  • Jeneration X: One Reluctant Adult's Attempt to Unarrest Her Arrested Development; Or, Why It's Never Too Late for Her Dumb Ass to Learn Why Froot Loops Are Not for Dinner
  • When Did I Get Like This?
  • Losing My Faculties: A Teacher's Story
  • Save Karyn: One Shopaholic's Journey to Debt and Back
  • Sue Ellen's Girl Ain't Fat, She Just Weighs Heavy: The Belle of All Things Southern Dishes on Men, Money, and Not Losing Your Midlife Mind
  • Be Happy or I'll Scream!: My Deranged Quest for the Perfect Husband, Family, and Life
In this memoir showcasing the ugly side of the affluent mothers of the pseudonymous Tate Academy, among the country's most prestigious prep schools, Rouse, the school's director of public relations, explains that his job is that of the Mommy Handler-keeping the families and benefactors of the institution happy. In particular, he works closely with a woman he calls Kitsy, the head of the parent and ...more
More about Wade Rouse...
At Least in the City Someone Would Hear Me Scream: Misadventures in Search of the Simple Life Confessions of a Prep School Mommy Handler: A Memoir I'm Not the Biggest Bitch in This Relationship: Hilarious, Heartwarming Tales About Man's Best Friend from America's Favorite Humorists America's Boy: A Memoir America's Boy

“We're human. We all occasionally wet ourselves. No one is really better than anyone else. We're just all trying to make it through the year as best we can. We screw up sometimes. We succeed sometimes. We laugh. We cry. We go on.

Those are the things we should really share with each other this holiday season, right, if we dare send a letter? We should share the truth. We should share the insanity.”
1 likes
“I prefer to hide unsettling things and let them build into life-scarring neuroses.” 0 likes